Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I thought the Admlral Akbar card with a stormtrooper on it was funny but then INVINCIBILITY ROBOT appeared and I lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife and I randomly shopping this evening, were in a small mom and pop book store and they had a small lego display. lovely prices, but they had a bunch of the star wars planet kits that are retiring soon.

First time I'd seen the at-st on the shelf and I couldn't resist buying it, even though I could have gotten the thing cheaper online. Impulse buys are awesome. :v:

Wish I was better at microscale stuff because I love the poo poo out of this thing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

In the Advent Calendar today, a nice festive astronaut. :v:

Not that I'm complaining, I really like this design of astronaut so it's nice to have another to go with the space shuttle.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
I picked up two Ninja Turtles sets last night. My first sets with flick missiles. They are cheap and look stupid and I hate that they are in every action theme. My 2006 Batmobile with the dart launcher is so much beter than the present Super Heroes Batmobile with flick missiles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Projectiles in lego sets has always seemed like an awesome thing that would make any set totally badass, but in my experience it always ends up being cheap and gimmicky.

Though I did have a friend who managed to snag one of the early pirates sets with the shooting cannon before lego stopped selling them in NA, which pretty much made him the coolest kid on the block. All my cannons were the boring non functioning ones. :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FingersMaloy posted:

I picked up two Ninja Turtles sets last night. My first sets with flick missiles. They are cheap and look stupid and I hate that they are in every action theme. My 2006 Batmobile with the dart launcher is so much beter than the present Super Heroes Batmobile with flick missiles.

It looks like there's a new batmobile out with the new batman sets, I'm just looking at the picture in the back of the Man-bat Attacks manual (the new batcopter set) and I don't see any visible projectiles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FingersMaloy posted:

I like them as pieces. They make pretty excellent simple joints.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Projectiles in lego sets has always seemed like an awesome thing that would make any set totally badass, but in my experience it always ends up being cheap and gimmicky.

Though I did have a friend who managed to snag one of the early pirates sets with the shooting cannon before lego stopped selling them in NA, which pretty much made him the coolest kid on the block. All my cannons were the boring non functioning ones. :smith:

You can still get those cannons in the two big ships from Pirates of the Caribbean I think, at least the ones I have have shooting cannons in them. I have wasted so much time shooting cannon balls out of those things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rythe posted:

You can still get those cannons in the two big ships from Pirates of the Caribbean I think, at least the ones I have have shooting cannons in them. I have wasted so much time shooting cannon balls out of those things.

Not in 1990 you couldn't. :v:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

The out of production Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl? There is nothing I regret more than not buying one of those ships. :( After reviewing the instructions for these sets, I'm actually quite OK with my decision to pass on those sets.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FingersMaloy posted:

See those two brown 1x1 circles by Sam?

Flick missiles.

In Weathertop.

e:
vvvv stupid lego hobbitses all looks the sameses

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 14, 2013

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
1. I think that's the best LoTR set. Well, maybe second to Orthanc.

2. Why would there ever missiles on Weathertop?

3. That's Merry! ;)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The best LotR set is clearly Helm's Deep + Uruk-Hai Arny

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Ahh. I always forget the Helms Deep set exists. I love how contained the Weathertop set is, though, and the Ringwraiths are my favorite.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I use that Weathertop set as my display piece for the Fellowship. Got Boromir/Gimli/Legolas/Aragorn/Gandalf/Frodo/Sam up on top, Merry/Pippin down by the cook fire, and Gollum lurking by the stairs. It's a great desk piece.

The Mines of Moria set is great too, especially that Cave Troll, who is currently fighting Wolverine and the Ninja Turtles on the other side of my desk.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

xzzy posted:

Protip, the springs from Bic retractable pens fit perfectly in Technic holes. Put a Technic rod in there and bam, best Lego projectiles possible.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Colonel Sanders posted:

The out of production Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl? There is nothing I regret more than not buying one of those ships. :( After reviewing the instructions for these sets, I'm actually quite OK with my decision to pass on those sets.

Look how wrong you are. The aft portions of both ships are pretty loving amazing, and the rail designs along the side are pretty decent. I won't say anything about the boring hull sections, but the rest of those sets are a hell of a lot of fun. (I mean, they're no Haunted House, but still.)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So, I've got some shoulder pain that basically stems from poor posture over a long, long period of time (years and years. I am a dummy). I write for a living, and when I'm not writing I'm almost always playing video games or doing stuff with Legos. Essentially, a bunch of stuff that involves me being hunched over or forward and putting my shoulders/back in exactly the posture that seems to hurt them the most. Obviously, getting up every 30 minutes or so to stretch is a great idea, but what I'm curious about is how you guys generally sit and whether you notice that being detrimental/beneficial to your body.

Does anybody have some great desk set up that lets you Lego for hours on end (taking breaks every little while, I imagine) with no physical consequences?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Captain Magic posted:

So, I've got some shoulder pain that basically stems from poor posture over a long, long period of time (years and years. I am a dummy). I write for a living, and when I'm not writing I'm almost always playing video games or doing stuff with Legos. Essentially, a bunch of stuff that involves me being hunched over or forward and putting my shoulders/back in exactly the posture that seems to hurt them the most. Obviously, getting up every 30 minutes or so to stretch is a great idea, but what I'm curious about is how you guys generally sit and whether you notice that being detrimental/beneficial to your body.

Does anybody have some great desk set up that lets you Lego for hours on end (taking breaks every little while, I imagine) with no physical consequences?

For writing/video games get a stand-up desk, for Lego lay on your stomach on the floor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or join a gym, spend 30 minutes a three times a week lifting heavy stuff. I work IT which means long hours at a keyboard, and the difference was night and day once I began a weightlifting routine.

I've never found a solution for hunching over a table full of lego bricks, it's just something that tires out the back after a while and the only fix seems to be taking a break when it hurts.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or join a gym, spend 30 minutes a three times a week lifting heavy stuff. I work IT which means long hours at a keyboard, and the difference was night and day once I began a weightlifting routine.

I've never found a solution for hunching over a table full of lego bricks, it's just something that tires out the back after a while and the only fix seems to be taking a break when it hurts.

I'm in the same boat you are (IT work). If I could, I would move to a standing desk at home and work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If not a standing desk, perhaps something like a drafter's table?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Thanks for all the advice!

I actually do work out quite a lot--elliptical cardio stuff and lots of yoga (toned down a bit to help w/pain). I really dig weight lifting but I think that's how I originally hurt my shoulder, and the problem was just exacerbated by poor posture over the years. I'm spending the next few weeks just abstaining from everything, hoping for some improvement.

Anyway I'm putting together a standing desk at home currently. I've been meaning to do it for ages, just needed that extra push. I found a neat how-to for making one out of Ikea stuff. I still work at an office 30 hours a week, so I'll invest in a good one when I'm able to work at home full time.

Now all I need to do is somehow convert my work office.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

If not a standing desk, perhaps something like a drafter's table?

Not lego friendly unless you glue a few 48x48 grey plates to the surface. :v:

And some kind of articulated arm monstrosity with bins of lego attached to them so you can access whatever pieces you need.

Now that I think of it, that seems like it could be pretty awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

xzzy posted:

Not lego friendly unless you glue a few 48x48 grey plates to the surface. :v:

And some kind of articulated arm monstrosity with bins of lego attached to them so you can access whatever pieces you need.

Now that I think of it, that seems like it could be pretty awesome.

Attach some rails to the side to keep things from sliding off, stick a craft mat type thing to the top so the parts don't scatter as easily and you should be ok. Most will allow you to adjust the angle of the working surface to something comfortable. I used one for years as a workstation for R/C stuff, worked great.

You might be able to find a cheap one used if you're patient.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I know someone was asking before about how long the Pick a Brick online takes. My order placed on November 25th arrived today. I think they ship from overseas somewhere.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Dogen posted:

It looks like there's a new batmobile out with the new batman sets, I'm just looking at the picture in the back of the Man-bat Attacks manual (the new batcopter set) and I don't see any visible projectiles.

Took a close look at the new Batmobile (76012) today. The flick missiles are hidden behind the driver's seat. The engines in the back lift to expose them. But that set looks awesome and I think it's going to be a 2014 purchase for me.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'NO GUNS. Missiles on the other hand are perfectly fine.'

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Rathina posted:

I think they ship from overseas somewhere.

Possibly from Denmark, maybe?

Awesome

"Your delivery was a little flat, Boy Blunder."

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Does that Joker have a purple cowboy/pimp hat?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Probably the same hat as the Space Police Brick Daddy.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
What's the cheapest way to get a "group" of minifigs? Like the fellowship or all four Ninja Turtles? Bricklink, or buying just the right sets?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fooley posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a "group" of minifigs? Like the fellowship or all four Ninja Turtles? Bricklink, or buying just the right sets?

Bricklink. Definitely.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'd say the cheapest way would be to buy all the sets then sell them as 'sets only no figs' at a discount.

Time consuming, though.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

jeeves posted:

Probably the same hat as the Space Police Brick Daddy.

Missed out on Brick Daddy, I'll punch myself if I miss out on this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, huh. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ObE4_nMCjE

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089233_crowdfunded-full-size-lego-hot-rod-runs-on-air-video

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Guzwar posted:

Does that Joker have a purple cowboy/pimp hat?

The Joker is quite well known for wearing a fedora. Probably the most famous instance is from The Killing Joke, but Jack wore one in the first Keaton Batman.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

That is loving awesome. Holy poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The official LEGO Curiosity rover/

Looks pretty close to the original CUUSOO model.

(Original on top.)

Is it Jan 1, yet?