Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

How about going to a different Apple Store?

If you're calling the Fruit Stand and getting that kind of a response it sounds like none of the tech guys there are very savvy (and they're not going to be for the amount of money Apple pays their techs in some places..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know I think people here are getting pretty defensive about a first time apple customer not knowing the support process.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Binary Badger posted:

If you're calling the Fruit Stand and getting that kind of a response it sounds like none of the tech guys there are very savvy (and they're not going to be for the amount of money Apple pays their techs in some places..)

When you call the Apple Store you don't even get to speak to a Genius. They are in-store support only which is why he was told to AppleCare if he wanted help without being in the store.

fleshweasel posted:

I don't know I think people here are getting pretty defensive about a first time apple customer not knowing the support process.

Going to apple.com and clicking Support is hard work.

1997 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 18, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more like "um duh you don't call applecare you make an appointment on the website" kind of nerdsmug

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

1997 posted:

Going to apple.com and clicking Support is hard work.

That's the first thing I did.

Just to be clear, in case there has been some mis-communication on my part that made me look like a lazy non-technical person who is needlessly bashing Apple, here is exactly what I did:

I called the Apple store in Briarwood, Ann Arbor, MI. I explained my situation. A lady on the phone told me that they would be thrilled to help me so I should start a support ticket with Apple Care. She told me that I just had to go to the website and start a support ticket. I explained that I suspected a hardware issue causing kernel panics, and she told me that if that turns out to be the case, the Apple Care guys will direct me.

I went to the support page (just like your sarcastic 15 year old girl post suggests) and looked for similar problems. Nothing found. Called Apple care. Explained that I am getting random non-reproducible kernel panics. I preemptively indicated that I had no third party software running, or any hardware connected other than the power cable and Apple earbuds. He explained that kernel panics are usually caused by you doing something the computer doesn't like, like running [third party software and hardware]. I indicated again that I had none, and the last kernel panic occurred as I started writing an URL in Safari. He sent me an email link containing the firmware update that fixed the trackpad related freezes. I explained that the PC is fully up to date including that update. He asked me to install it anyways. I tried, and OSX refused. He finally said that they need to find out if the computer crashes under Safe Mode before they can pinpoint it as a hardware problem. From now on, I am to use my rMBP in safe mode until it crashes, and if it doesn't crash then its a software problem. In any case, I should get in touch with them when it crashes (or doesnt.)

Obviously running safe mode is not gonna be an option, the laptop is unusable, the display driver can't even display the retina screen properly in safe mode. So I am hoping the Genius Bar appointment will bear fruit and I get my hardware replaced because this is either a hardware problem, or OSX on a top end 2013 rMBP is just unstable. Like I said in my previous posts I understand new, cutting edge hardware can be finicky. So I am not claiming Apple hardware sucks because of this. On the contrary, I am very impressed with this laptop. That being said this really is a test of whether I will trust Apple as a company in the future or not, based on how they handle my problem. I don't think this is unreasonable. So I truly don't understand why some people insist on treating anyone who has a problem with an Apple product as some seditious moron with psychological issues ("anxious for something to happen, to bitch about it" LOL! seriously what kind of armchair psychologist neckbeard speaks like this?). Honestly, outside video game consoles, it's the only technology brand so far for which I've seen people in different forums posting their problems and frustrations and getting treated like they are dirt.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 18, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Animal posted:

That's the first thing I did.

Just to be clear, in case there has been some mis-communication on my part that made me look like a lazy non-technical person who is needlessly bashing Apple, here is exactly what I did:

I called the Apple store in Briarwood, Ann Arbor, MI. I explained my situation. A lady on the phone told me that they would be thrilled to help me so I should start a support ticket with Apple Care. She told me that I just had to go to the website and start a support ticket. I explained that I suspected a hardware issue causing kernel panics, and she told me that if that turns out to be the case, the Apple Care guys will direct me.

I went to the support page (just like your sarcastic 15 year old girl post suggests) and looked for similar problems. Nothing found. Called Apple care. Explained that I am getting random non-reproducible kernel panics. I preemptively indicated that I had no third party software running, or any hardware connected other than the power cable and Apple earbuds. He explained that kernel panics are usually caused by you doing something the computer doesn't like, like running [third party software and hardware]. I indicated again that I had none, and the last kernel panic occurred as I started writing an URL in Safari. He sent me an email link containing the firmware update that fixed the trackpad related freezes. I explained that the PC is fully up to date including that update. He asked me to install it anyways. I tried, and OSX refused. He finally said that they need to find out if the computer crashes under Safe Mode before they can pinpoint it as a hardware problem. From now on, I am to use my rMBP in safe mode until it crashes, and if it doesn't crash then its a software problem. In any case, I should get in touch with them when it crashes (or doesnt.)

Obviously running safe mode is not gonna be an option, the laptop is unusable, the display driver can't even display the retina screen properly in safe mode. So I am hoping the Genius Bar appointment will bear fruit and I get my hardware replaced because this is either a hardware problem, or OSX on a top end 2013 rMBP is just unstable. Like I said in my previous posts I understand new, cutting edge hardware can be finicky. So I am not claiming Apple hardware sucks because of this. On the contrary, I am very impressed with this laptop. That being said this really is a test of whether I will trust Apple as a company in the future or not, based on how they handle my problem. I don't think this is unreasonable. So I truly don't understand why some people insist on treating anyone who has a problem with an Apple product as some seditious moron with psychological issues ("anxious for something to happen, to bitch about it" LOL! seriously what kind of armchair psychologist neckbeard speaks like this?). Honestly, outside video game consoles, it's the only technology brand so far for which I've seen people in different forums posting their problems and frustrations and getting treated like they are dirt.
The other thing you can do that might tell you what's going on is check the logs from Console (in /Applications/Utilities) the next time your machine crashes. One of the other guys here might be able to tell you the exact log file you want but Mac OS is pretty good at recording what was happening at the time of a full system crash or kernel panic.

Also FWIW I have the same model of rMBP you do and the only time I've had it kernel panic since I got it was when I was plugging and unplugging stuff quite quickly from my thunderbolt dock. I rather suspect that was caused by the thunderbolt controller in the dock not coping properly more than anything since I don't think the internal stuff in the CalDigit docks is particularly good quality (hence the price tag).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thanks, I'll keep those commands in my Notes app and run it as soon as I get the next kernel panic. From searching the Apple support forums it seems some people are getting them and it could be related to the graphics switching between Iris Pro and the Geforce 750m.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I switch between both frequently whenever I'm using the laptop away from my desk since any time I start a VM it turns on the 750m. Never had any panics like that.

Animal posted:

Thanks, I'll keep those commands in my Notes app and run it as soon as I get the next kernel panic. From searching the Apple support forums it seems some people are getting them and it could be related to the graphics switching between Iris Pro and the Geforce 750m.
Almost forgot, if you boot the computer in verbose mode (command+v at the startup chime I think) it'll overlay the details of what the system's doing on screen if it does kernel panic just before it reboots.

Verbose mode shouldn't cause any performance hit and you might see something useful on screen if you're sitting in front of it when it panics.

Edit: new awful.app is weird at handling edits.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For potential new Mac Pro buyers:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?107300-New-Mac-Pro&p=1298461&viewfull=1#post1298461

quote:

Mac Pros are actually here. Resellers are taking delivery of the stock configs! Today! Authorized business sales resellers and business sales reps at Apple Stores can take orders for them starting today!

No official word on CTO pricing or the systems going online on the Apple Web store. Indicators seem to be saying tomorrow or thursday.

…Just thought y'all should know. MacRumors and similar news sites are failing on this. Sad, really sad.

Animal posted:

There's a bunch of little troubleshooting things, surprised support didn't make you try all of these (...or you didn't mention it or I missed it):

Reset SMC, NVRAM/PRAM:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Boot into the Recovery partition:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718
And from there I use Disk Utility to do a disk check/repair and repair permissions (the most voodoo thing of all but once in a while it actually does something).

Boot into Apple Diagnostics:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5781
(didn't even know that name, guess it's the new version of hardware test)

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Mac Pro's available to order from tomorrow
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/12/18All-New-Mac-Pro-Available-Starting-Tomorrow.html

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm a bit of a hardware idiot so sorry for sounding stupid. I'm trying to give my mid-2010 MBP a bit of love, so I've bought a nice big new HDD and am looking at increasing the ram up from 4GB. Apple says it can have a maximum of 8GB.

A single 8GB stick is cheaper than 2 x 4GB sticks, is there any benefit to having 2?

Any recommended brands or brands to avoid?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you need the storage space that a hard drive gives you? I put an SSD in my 2009 MBP and it turned it into a completely different beast.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Caged posted:

Do you need the storage space that a hard drive gives you? I put an SSD in my 2009 MBP and it turned it into a completely different beast.

Unfortunately yeah. I looked into SSDs but the ones large enough are outside my budget.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you considered putting the HDD in your optical bay? Or do you need that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm a bit of a hardware idiot so sorry for sounding stupid. I'm trying to give my mid-2010 MBP a bit of love, so I've bought a nice big new HDD and am looking at increasing the ram up from 4GB. Apple says it can have a maximum of 8GB.

A single 8GB stick is cheaper than 2 x 4GB sticks, is there any benefit to having 2?

Any recommended brands or brands to avoid?

Which one do you have? IF have a 15" system which only supports 8GB and not 16GB, you can't use 1 8GB stick - the biggest stick you can use is 4GB.

But if you have a 13" model you could get 1 8GB stick, since those will take 16GB. Using two matching sticks of RAM will be slightly faster than one single of the same capacity. Because of dual-channel and all that stuff. But if you have a C2D and a spinny-disk it's never going to be 'fast' so it won't really matter.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

japtor posted:

There's a bunch of little troubleshooting things, surprised support didn't make you try all of these (...or you didn't mention it or I missed it):

Reset SMC, NVRAM/PRAM:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Boot into the Recovery partition:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718
And from there I use Disk Utility to do a disk check/repair and repair permissions (the most voodoo thing of all but once in a while it actually does something).

Boot into Apple Diagnostics:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5781
(didn't even know that name, guess it's the new version of hardware test)

Yeah they did the SMC, NVRAM/PRAM reset yesterday and today they called me and went through the two other steps. They made me reinstall OSX to see if the problem persists. I've continued looking into this problem and it seems like it might be a problem with graphics switching and could even be on certain batches of rMBP. Hopefully Apple will do a firmware update that fixes it otherwise the only fix is to replace the laptop with one from a batch that is good.

By the way anyone looking for a protector for their rMBP should look into this cover by Monoprice. Half the price of the Speck product and its actually great quality, I am impressed.

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo

Anyone getting one? I'm strongly considering it. I'm a software dev and dabble in audio so I'd definitely be using the thing, it still feels like it would be overpowered though. No use for the GPU, for one, besides being able to have dual monitors (without some crappy setup).

The alternative for me is a rMBP, which I wouldn't be using much at all away from my desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If anyone buys one of those they have a lot of disposable income.

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo

Bob Morales posted:

If anyone buys one of those they have a lot of disposable income.

Base model is <$1k more than a decent rMBP. Still a lot though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Caged posted:

Have you considered putting the HDD in your optical bay? Or do you need that?

I didn't even realise this was an option, just Googled it and it looks pretty straight forward. Thanks.

Bob Morales posted:

Which one do you have? IF have a 15" system which only supports 8GB and not 16GB, you can't use 1 8GB stick - the biggest stick you can use is 4GB.

But if you have a 13" model you could get 1 8GB stick, since those will take 16GB. Using two matching sticks of RAM will be slightly faster than one single of the same capacity. Because of dual-channel and all that stuff. But if you have a C2D and a spinny-disk it's never going to be 'fast' so it won't really matter.

I have a 13" MBP 7,1. I think I'll go for 2x4GB sticks as I found them for only only a few £ more. After looking at the suggestion by Caged I think I might replace my current HDD with a 120GB SDD for OS X and applications and then have the larger drive in the optical bay.

Thanks guys.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Captain Lou posted:

Anyone getting one? I'm strongly considering it. I'm a software dev and dabble in audio so I'd definitely be using the thing, it still feels like it would be overpowered though. No use for the GPU, for one, besides being able to have dual monitors (without some crappy setup).

The alternative for me is a rMBP, which I wouldn't be using much at all away from my desk.

I am not really sure who this machine is aimed at. I won't go full nerd rage, but no one should really consider this thing for like 99% of applications. No workstation should ever lack drive expansion, have graphics cards soldered in, and rely on an expansion technology that offer very little in the way of bandwidth and real world products.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What he said. I can't see what the new Mac Pro would be good for that an iMac wouldn't be equally good at. What are people doing that uses ATI GPU rendering on a Mac?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Caged posted:

What he said. I can't see what the new Mac Pro would be good for that an iMac wouldn't be equally good at. What are people doing that uses ATI GPU rendering on a Mac?

The acceleration Apple is building into the OS uses both AMD and Nvidia hardware, but almost NO ONE in the professional space uses AMD tech for computational uses. OpenCL is coming along, but is no where near the foothold CUDA has. It is not even close. The fact that Apple is turing a very blind eye to this oversight is the most ridiculous thing about this Mac "Pro".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It just looks like a really expensive way to run Final Cut once you've bought an appropriate disk array for it. Can you get Thunderbolt 10GbE adapters?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Caged posted:

It just looks like a really expensive way to run Final Cut once you've bought an appropriate disk array for it. Can you get Thunderbolt 10GbE adapters?

Yes, but they're absurd breakout boxes about the size of an external drive.

As for 'why someone would want this': if you want more than 4 cores, 32gb of ram, or something not a mobile GPU, this will be the only Mac option you have.

cstine fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 19, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And about $1000. Can only find Thunderbolt FC HBAs that top out at 4gig as well.

Maybe the release day will see all these accessories suddenly become available....

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Caged posted:

And about $1000. Can only find Thunderbolt FC HBAs that top out at 4gig as well.

Maybe the release day will see all these accessories suddenly become available....

After 3 years of fuckall nothing for thunderbolt, no, it won't.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I just wanted a new display. Looks like we won't be seeing one until the new year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm eyeing up that Dell 24" 4K

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cstine posted:

After 3 years of fuckall nothing for thunderbolt, no, it won't.

I think part of the reason there's been fuckall nothing for thunderbolt for 3 years is because Apple sat on their hands for that long with regards to a pro desktop workstation. Why make thunderbolt peripherals for working professionals if the goddamn Mac Pro doesn't support it (and hasn't been updated in forever)?

If this Mac Pro had come out in 2011 or even 2012 then I don't think the landscape would've been as dire for it. Sure, a lot of people would've hated it, just as many do now, but its existence would've pushed the development of the thunderbolt ecosystem. In fact, I'd argue that the worst mistake Apple made with this thing is that they waited so long. They forced a lot of people to switch platforms who otherwise might've stuck around.

Also, it's a little niggle but the GPUs aren't soldered in. They're stuck in a proprietary form factor which is only almost as bad.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think part of the reason there's been fuckall nothing for thunderbolt for 3 years is because Apple sat on their hands for that long with regards to a pro desktop workstation. Why make thunderbolt peripherals for working professionals if the goddamn Mac Pro doesn't support it (and hasn't been updated in forever)?

If this Mac Pro had come out in 2011 or even 2012 then I don't think the landscape would've been as dire for it. Sure, a lot of people would've hated it, just as many do now, but its existence would've pushed the development of the thunderbolt ecosystem. In fact, I'd argue that the worst mistake Apple made with this thing is that they waited so long. They forced a lot of people to switch platforms who otherwise might've stuck around.

Also, it's a little niggle but the GPUs aren't soldered in. They're stuck in a proprietary form factor which is only almost as bad.

...I was totally unaware that the old Mac Pro never got Thunderbolt. That seems like complete dipshittery, considering that the pro market is also the market that'll not give a poo poo what the stuff they want/need costs and buy it anyways.

I mean, I'll be honest - I *want* a new Pro to replace my current pile of 3+ year old stuff, but it's both excessive and inadequate at the same time - I don't need two FireGL cards, or ECC, or more than four cores, but it means i'll have a stack of external drives.

I'll probably just replace the 2011 iMac with a 2013 Haswell one (probably the one with enough video ram to run more than one monitor, which is something this one cannot do) rather than buy the Mac Pro.

But it's just so pretty.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In fact, I'd argue that the worst mistake Apple made with this thing is that they waited so long. They forced a lot of people to switch platforms who otherwise might've stuck around.

You hit the nail on the head. I literally sat in a meeting with the FCP lead straight from Cupertino about two years ago where he said "What if the Mac Pro went away?". And we told him we'd ditch Apple because we need actual workstations, regardless of how Apple thinks we should use computers. My major objection to his suggestion we use iMacs was huge lack of RAM and number of cores because we did a lot of 2D and 3D animation, and there is no substitute for cores. He said "you should send out those jobs to a third party and just use iMacs'. For a University. :stare:

The Mac Pro was dead, and the reason this loving thing took so long was because they had to start from scratch when literally everyone was pissed that they did not have a modern workstation. The combination of the Mac Pro never updating, thus being VERY overpriced for old hardware, and the complete gently caress you they gave to the FCP crowd has driven people to Adobe and Avid in droves. And funny enough, those platforms work better on Windows, and that is where you can get real workstations from Dell and HP too.

Edit: clarity and some more details.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2013

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I have a mid 2010 Mbp that I reformatted and I want to use system recovery to reinstall osx. I don't have a disc and when I log in they want to verify my account but I don't have any versions of osx purchased on my apple account so it won't let me download maverick. I don't mind just paying $20 but It seems like i can't even buy it without being in osx.

I have an ISO file is there anyway I can make a bootable thumb stick from my windows machine?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mayodreams posted:

You hit the nail on the head. I literally sat in a meeting with the FCP lead straight from Cupertino about two years ago where he said "What if the Mac Pro went away?". And we told him we'd ditch Apple because we need actual workstations, regardless of how Apple thinks we should use computers. My major objection to his suggestion we use iMacs was huge lack of RAM and number of cores because we did a lot of 2D and 3D animation, and there is no substitute for cores. He said "you should send out those jobs to a third party and just use iMacs'. For a University. :stare:

The Mac Pro was dead, and the reason this loving thing took so long was because they had to start from scratch when literally everyone was pissed that they did not have a modern workstation. The combination of the Mac Pro never updating, thus being VERY overpriced for old hardware, and the complete gently caress you they gave to the FCP crowd has driven people to Adobe and Avid in droves. And funny enough, those platforms work better on Windows, and that is where you can get real workstations from Dell and HP too.

Edit: clarity and some more details.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what VP drove that decision (or was it Steve? :ohdear:) but I hope they're gone now, because holy poo poo, that's literally pissing away money. Let's just hope our users love the software so much they stay frozen in time when it comes to hardware, while competitors' software enjoys a goddammned two architecture (SND/HAS) leap on us.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cstine posted:

As for 'why someone would want this': if you want more than 4 cores, 32gb of ram, or something not a mobile GPU, this will be the only Mac option you have.
This, it's ultimately the most powerful Mac you can buy. If you need this or that spec and Mac OS you don't have a choice other than a hackintosh.

movax posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what VP drove that decision (or was it Steve? :ohdear:) but I hope they're gone now, because holy poo poo, that's literally pissing away money. Let's just hope our users love the software so much they stay frozen in time when it comes to hardware, while competitors' software enjoys a goddammned two architecture (SND/HAS) leap on us.
Yeah it was Steve, at least at some point:
http://kensegall.com/2013/08/apples-evolving-view-of-pro/

quote:

This was back in the days when iMac had established itself as a global bestseller. During one of the agency’s regular meetings with Steve, he shared that he was considering killing the pro products.

His rationale was as you might expect: consumer products have an unlimited upside, while pro products are aimed at a niche market that eats up major resources.

Obviously, the pro market has value for Apple, even if its numbers are relatively small. Pros are opinion leaders, influencers and evangelists. Their love of Apple shows up in the purchase decisions of friends, family and colleagues.

So Steve ultimately renewed his commitment to the pros—but he never said that this commitment wouldn’t evolve. Clearly Apple has changed its thinking about the pro market, and how it can best serve its pro users.
There was also an anecdote from a Shake dev that fits in line with that last part:
http://digitalcomposting.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/x-vs-pro/

quote:

And really, from a company perspective high-end customers are a pain in the rear end. Before Apple bought Shake, customer feedback drove about 90% of the features we’d put into the product. But that’s not how Apple rolls – for them a high end customers are high-bandwidth in terms of the attention they require relative to the revenue they return. After the acquisition I remember sitting in a roomful of Hollywood VFX pros where Steve told everybody point-blank that we/Apple were going to focus on giving them powerful tools that were far more cost-effective than what they were accustomed to… but that the relationship between them and Apple wasn’t going to be something where they’d be driving product direction anymore. Didn’t go over particularly well, incidentally, but I don’t think that concerned Steve overmuch… :-)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The new Mac Pro will also probably be the only thing that can legally run OS X VMs through ESX on server grade hardware (albeit at a very high cost and with graphics cards that are nearly useless for virtualisation). I don't know how important that will actually be but it's still something that the other desktop Mac products can't do.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't understand what took so long about it. Perhaps the "assembled in the US" bit? I'm not sure anyone will care about that in the end.

Maybe this will be Tim's first flop.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What took so long was them waiting for this particular Xeon architecture. I don't know why they didn't at least throw Thunderbolt into a Mac Pro before this, though.

Binary Badger posted:

If he's calling the Apple Store, he's getting someone in sales who is on a phone shift.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Has Apple talked about support for Eyefinity/Crossfire style features for the new Pros (considering they got two FirePros in them, it would make sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Crossfire is a gamer feature, not a pro machine feature. I don't expect it to make an appearance; the point of having two powerful video cards is Apple making a bet on OpenCL acceleration rather than wanting to push more FPS.