Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
How do you trigger the "and stay out" achievement? The Aztec aren't in my ledger anymore and I can't find any trace of them, yet the achievement doesn't pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DrPop posted:

I'm all for alternate history and poo poo, I guess I just have a plausibility threshold--and would just hope that the CK2+ team would be focused on more important poo poo than holy orders for a one-off religion that only has a chance at seeing the light of day in-game through the efforts of the most dedicated spergs.

I am pretty sure a holy order takes virtually no time to code up so it's not like this took any effort away from the important poo poo, and if I had to guess it was probably done by the guy who made Ancient Religions in the first place.

Besides, Hellenism does occasionally revive by itself if Byzantium goes heretic...not that that is fantastic design either, but Ancient Religions is pretty fun so who cares.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jolan posted:

How do you trigger the "and stay out" achievement? The Aztec aren't in my ledger anymore and I can't find any trace of them, yet the achievement doesn't pop.

It was bugged and I had a similar problem, but the beta patch fixed it and I loaded up the game where I defeated them and the event fired.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm getting the aztecs defeated event over an over again what should I do?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Main Paineframe posted:

The event's more likely to fire if the rebels have a lot less troops than you, and the number of troops spawned is based on YOUR total available realm levies - something like 75%, I think? Someone posted all the math and details a few pages back.

So, essentially, it becomes Desirable for the computer to start poo poo with you even if they can't win, because magic rebel elites will emerge from the ether to make sure the underdog wins?

How disappointing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board I suppose.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Alectai posted:

So, essentially, it becomes Desirable for the computer to start poo poo with you even if they can't win, because magic rebel elites will emerge from the ether to make sure the underdog wins?

How disappointing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board I suppose.

I poo poo my pants a while ago when I saw a kinsman's levies rise up for a claim, but thankfully it wasn't against me. 29k troops all headed for the Byzantine Empire, which I joined and we won. Too bad he ended up dethroned like 6 years later, I found him in one of my duke's courts, castrated and reduced to nothing...

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 19, 2013

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
My Mongol Empire was going along swimmingly, I'd conquered half of the world, and then a holy war gets declared on me for Jerusalem. I'd been having issues with rebellions every freakin' year for the liberation of Jerusalem and figured, hey, this is my chance. I can convert, create that kingdom, and then reconvert pretty easily, right?

So, the tooltip only says that your character converts. It doesn't warn you that HALF YOUR EMPIRE does too.

:(

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

You know we had talk of a succession game going on a while ago but it never got off the ground, does anyone want to try again now that the new patch is out?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

You know we had talk of a succession game going on a while ago but it never got off the ground, does anyone want to try again now that the new patch is out?

I would totally be down for this.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Would this be a each person plays one ruler, pass-the-save-around game? If so, I'm totally in.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

pwnyXpress posted:

Would this be a each person plays one ruler, pass-the-save-around game? If so, I'm totally in.

Yep, that's a succession game. Things that we'd all need to decide is if we keep it in-thread or bother setting it up in the LP forum, if we use any mods (CK2+ being one of the more likely candidates) and I suppose maybe some input on what we start as. I'll start a turn order now though.

Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
This is a cool idea, but I'm going to be traveling a large block of January so won't be able to play :-S

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Excellent, now if I can vote right now I'd rather we go vanilla, I have never used mods to play :(

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Huh.

So, my second generation ruler was the Devil Child.

In the Old Gods start time.

300 Heavy Cavalry and cheatingly good marshals goes a long way to get you an initial nest egg when nobody else has the best units yet. I wasn't even planning on going conquest, but I seem to have already accidentally a kingdom.

Any good ways to separate from my current liege so I can form my own kingdom and start looking at snipping up rebellions from the Umayyad? And would there be any way to bluff my current liege into allowing me to separate? Or does the computer always go "I WILL NOT BE BLACKMAILED".

(Because I did get that response despite having 600% of the duke's power when I decided to claim the Duchy.)

Alectai fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 19, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Alectai posted:

Huh.

So, my second generation ruler was the Devil Child.

In the Old Gods start time.

300 Heavy Cavalry and cheatingly good marshals goes a long way to get you an initial nest egg when nobody else has the best units yet. I wasn't even planning on going conquest, but I seem to have already accidentally a kingdom.

Any good ways to separate from my current liege so I can form my own kingdom and start looking at snipping up rebellions from the Umayyad? And would there be any way to bluff my current liege into allowing me to separate? Or does the computer always go "I WILL NOT BE BLACKMAILED".

(Because I did get that response despite having 600% of the duke's power when I decided to claim the Duchy.)

The percentages seem to lie a lot. When I was pushing my war machine against a succession of Caliphs, I had a 50% chance of assassinating the guy. It took ten tries. Also, my vassals only have a 5% chance to revolt, but no King has ever given up his title willingly.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

I never got it at all, despite the Aztecs never even conquering any territory!

Also, I have VIET, under which the Empire of Britannia is simply called Britain, but I booted the game up a little bit ago and my empire is being called Alba, aka Scotland. My emperor is Irish, so anyone have any idea what's up with that?

Edit: Scratch my first thing, I for some reason just got the "Aztecs are defeated" event even though their invasion failed decades ago in 1312 and the Aztec emperor never tried again.

Edit edit: Uh oh, it's repeating for me now, too.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 19, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

I'm still waiting for a Pope Insanity event chain.

Will this do?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Edit: Scratch my first thing, I for some reason just got the "Aztecs are defeated" event even though their invasion failed decades ago in 1312 and the Aztec emperor never tried again.

That's what you guys get for buying the worst DLC :colbert:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Excelzior posted:

Will this do?

For those of you who don't know, that actually happend

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drone posted:

But doesn't that remove factions, which are pretty critical to the GoT experience?

Edit: more reading on the GoT mod forums leads me to believe it's hosed fifteen different ways to Tuesday, with some solutions working temporarily and others not working at all. For some people, deactivating all DLC will work, then results in a CTD six months in, and for others it doesn't work at all. Apparently the mod was released with basically no playtesting.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I'll wait a few weeks/month longer for the inevitable fix.

I've managed to play it okay, but I'm annoyed that I apparently can't play as any of the Free Cities. :argh:

Qarth was okay when I tried it though, there's a colonizing system which would work a lot better if this was an EU4 mod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flesnolk posted:

Also, I have VIET, under which the Empire of Britannia is simply called Britain, but I booted the game up a little bit ago and my empire is being called Alba, aka Scotland. My emperor is Irish, so anyone have any idea what's up with that?

I believe that's culture based. I've had Britannia flop back and forth depending on whether the Norse controlled it or not in my Francia game. I honestly thought it was an event or decision to rename it, as I had West Francia change into France about halfway through the game. (I was Aquitaine at that point.)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

... Well, my Devil Child run seems to be going well, I've pretty much decisively broken West Francia due to a well timed Independence movement, and they're currently busy handling a Faction Spiral as poo poo gets hilariously out of hand there.

I've formed Navarra, and have a shitload of money coming in due to having lots of well developed castles. Umayyad is in the middle of crushing revolts, and I go and Holy War anyone who separates from them and snip them up. I'm currently second only to that powerhouse on the Iberian Peninsula.

Disappointingly, my Morgana (Who had 32 Intrigue what the gently caress) Wound up getting stabbed by a dude with 5 Intrigue, but my Devil-Queen is currently still consolidating her rule.

Amusingly, I've actually managed to get her an exorcism, and while events keep conspiring to flip her, she gets lots of events where she still gains Virtues anyway. I also have nearly 1,000 Piety due to all the curbstomping I've been doing. Apparently the Pope's willing to let things slide as long as you're being a crusading badass? I dunno, this has been a really confusing run so far.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior posted:

Will this do?

Tell me there's a later event where the corpse is seen to exit the water and perform miracles, turning public opinion against the pope.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eimi posted:

I had West Francia change into France about halfway through the game. (I was Aquitaine at that point.)

If the Karlings lose control of East or West Francia, it triggers an event that changes the name.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Eimi posted:

I believe that's culture based. I've had Britannia flop back and forth depending on whether the Norse controlled it or not in my Francia game. I honestly thought it was an event or decision to rename it, as I had West Francia change into France about halfway through the game. (I was Aquitaine at that point.)

That was my first thought, except the last time I played it was just Britain and there've been no major cultural changes since then. I mean, Alba/Scotland proper is a republic now, but that's been the case for years in game, don't even know how it happened.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 19, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I got so frustrated with the zoroastrian start I resorted to gaminess. First thing I did was swear fealty to Khiva and forced them to instal me as king from within with my event troops. Next, I immediately banished every single one of my vassals except for those at the barony level and used their money and my now huge pile of troops to crush the Saffarids. It's basically fool proof if anyone is suffering with this start and once you win the first war, you're sitting pretty.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 19, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Alectai posted:

I've had luck with declaring independence when, not only am I more powerful than my liege in raw territory, but some other crisis has his attention. The AI seems slightly more willing to surrender early if it's already in a war.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

After a few false starts, I'm finally knee-deep in my first ironman campaign. I started as the norse count of Orkney. I wanted to start from scratch, and he doesn't have any relatives at the start, but he's old and chaste, so I had a couple starts where he kicked the bucket before I could get any heirs out. I was able to get a few hundred gold from opportunistic raiding and conquer Ireland with mercenaries, and from there it was pretty smooth sailing. I thought reforming the faith from Britain would be a pain in the rear end, but by the time I got around to it I was able to fabricate claims on the holy sites and slap around the Scandinavian powers with pretty much just my retinue.

I'm really enjoying ironman. I was definitely guilty of save scumming and console cheating my way out of tight spots before. I got deposed by one of my brothers at one point in this game and almost gave up because I only had a couple counties left, but I declared war when a rebellion happened and picked apart his armies while he was distracted to win back the kingdom. I've been playing ironman games in EU4 almost exclusively, and I think that extra edge is why I'm actually finishing those instead of getting bored and giving up halfway through.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Randallteal posted:

After a few false starts, I'm finally knee-deep in my first ironman campaign. I started as the norse count of Orkney. I wanted to start from scratch, and he doesn't have any relatives at the start, but he's old and chaste, so I had a couple starts where he kicked the bucket before I could get any heirs out. I was able to get a few hundred gold from opportunistic raiding and conquer Ireland with mercenaries, and from there it was pretty smooth sailing. I thought reforming the faith from Britain would be a pain in the rear end, but by the time I got around to it I was able to fabricate claims on the holy sites and slap around the Scandinavian powers with pretty much just my retinue.

I'm really enjoying ironman. I was definitely guilty of save scumming and console cheating my way out of tight spots before. I got deposed by one of my brothers at one point in this game and almost gave up because I only had a couple counties left, but I declared war when a rebellion happened and picked apart his armies while he was distracted to win back the kingdom. I've been playing ironman games in EU4 almost exclusively, and I think that extra edge is why I'm actually finishing those instead of getting bored and giving up halfway through.

I was definitely guilty of rolling back saves when I got a bad dice roll, and Ironman is a perfect way to bolster my weak will. One of the most memorable ironman moments I've had is when I lost a title claim against me one province away from reforming ancient Rome with the Aztecs on the way, then managing to fight my way back into power + fend off the Aztecs just in time. Without Ironman I probably would have rolled back my save and used my foreknowledge to win the original war and never thought twice about the fun I just missed out on.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

DrPop posted:

I'm all for alternate history and poo poo, I guess I just have a plausibility threshold--and would just hope that the CK2+ team would be focused on more important poo poo than holy orders for a one-off religion that only has a chance at seeing the light of day in-game through the efforts of the most dedicated spergs.

I think this is mostly for the alternate scenarios, I've pretty much never seen Hellenism in a regular game.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Doing the catholic irish run from the early norse start. By about 921, I have all of Ireland except two provinces that norse Skotland owned. No matter how many people I bribe, nobody wants to plot to kill him. Eventually he dies (at age 80) and his only living son takes over. Thank god for the short reign debuff. 200% plot power for him, his son, his other son. Holy war'd for the last two provinces while Skotland was in a civil war.

tl;dr - Stabbing solves everything.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Venice as a start was awful, because you have no expansion opportunities nearby, but I've been enjoying Amalfi (well, it starts out that way but inevitably turns into Salerno). My first run got glitched, and I inexplicably stopped being a patrician and became a normal Count instead, except I still get elected Doge even if I declare independence, which forcibly ends my dynasty. Still, I learned a lot from that, and my replay has seen my family end up obscenely rich, because I've actually focused on stewardship this time. Still a long ways to go before I hit Trade Practices 3, though l already have 7 trade posts anyways.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm actually a little disappointed with the republics. They don't seem to have any interesting relationships with their vassals. They're just a revolving door of separatists with ugly Mediterranean faces. The politics between the five families is also underdeveloped. Mostly I just kill their patricians when they get too old, just to cut costs on buying the election. I cannot risk letting the AI handle the dogeship.

On the other hand, oh my God the money. The loving money. Buy wars, buy assassinations, buy holdings everywhere. There is no stopping a republic's treasury.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Crosspostin' from the main Paradox thread.

It was bugging me that the CKII and EUIV maps were lit from the lower right instead of the upper left as is 'normal', so I fixed it.

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.

Here's the inverted .bmp if anyone else wants it. Throw it in the map directory.

This is an ancient post, but did you ever follow up on that and do this for EUIV? I'd love to get a download link if you did.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

:siren: Aztecs are defeated event spam fix :siren:

Baron Porkface posted:

Flesnolk posted:

Since I came across this one a few pages ago I've had to fix it myself.
Pull up crusader kings 2/events/sunset invasion and find "aztecs thrown back into the sea"
Then in the trigger field just copy paste the NOT = { has_global_flag = aztecs_defeated } portion from another event in. It'll check whether the aztecs have been defeated (as every other event seems to do) and it'll then not fire after the first time as it should.

code:
# Aztecs Thrown Back Into the Sea
narrative_event = {
	id = SSI.105
	title = EVTNAME_SSI_105
	desc = EVTDESC_SSI_105

picture = GFX_evt_aztec_arrival
	border = GFX_event_narrative_frame_war

major = yes

trigger = {
		has_global_flag = aztec_arrival_2
		has_landed_title = e_mexikha
		has_regiments = no
		is_landed = no
		NOT = { has_global_flag = aztecs_defeated }
	}

major_trigger = {
		ai = no
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 1
	}

immediate = {
		activate_title = { title = e_mexikha status = no }
		set_global_flag = aztecs_defeated
	}

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 19, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there a mod that just has the CK2plus faction system, and nothing else?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
This has been annoying me:

Do I need to be independent and with no relatives in someone else's court? Because that kinda defeats the purpose of the DLC.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

ChikoDemono posted:

tl;dr - Stabbing solves everything.

My current ruler has between -90 and -240 'dishonorable' modifier with everyone because of all the (failed) stabbing I needed to do to get my empire into absolute cognatic. It all started with one single rebellious vassal who was pissed at me, and a few missed stabs later half my vassals despise me. On the bright side, now my oldest daughter will inherit my two main titles, so mission complete. Sadly, my ruler's only 40something, so he won't die any time soon. He's stressed so I can't send him on hunts to trigger chance of death events, my only somewhat capable spymaster who had a -100 opinion of me 180'ed into +100 the second I appointed him, and even when the entire retinue he's leading gets destroyed, my ruler still manages to pop back to the safety of his demesne, time and time again. And there's hardly anyone ambitious left in my empire after the Great Cull, so even my haters don't feel like plotting against me.

Rulin' ain't easy.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

This has been annoying me:

Do I need to be independent and with no relatives in someone else's court? Because that kinda defeats the purpose of the DLC.

I guess if your not a republic, if say you are a duke, and a family member is a king, they are the ranking head of the dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My worthless son inherited, and the Doux of Jerusalem pulled a 150k doomstack after making his ultimatum for independence. My warscore dropped to -50 before I could even load my first units onto a boat over there. Luckily, assaination is really good after recovering this situation, as somehow a rebel's heirs won't continue pushing the attempt at independence.

• Locked thread