Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Rob Liefeld?

It's Frank Whaley trying to support Jennifer Connely's massive, massive rack and failing.

You know who's also got a massive, massive rack? Linda Blair on the cover of the rerelease of Savage Streets.

Yes, this is from The Dude Designs, the same guy who made the Hobo With A Shotgun poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That's quite the rack you've got there. Linda Blair.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gonz posted:

That's quite the rack you've got there. Linda Blair.

Besides those, that dude's neck is something frightening.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hey look, an actually interesting poster despite being a pretty cliché design:

This is the first I've heard of this and I'm very excited.

Too few westerns being made these days. It also has a proper western movie title.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's a hell of a cast, but man, I saw the trailer for it before Dallas Buyers Club the other day (not the first time I'd seen, but first time I'd seen it in theaters) and it did not look entertaining in the least. While there are a couple that I dig, I'm not a big fan of most of Wes Anderson's movies, and this one looks like it uses the same "HEY LOOK AT THIS ISN'T THIS QUIRKY?!?!?!" style as a lot of his movies. Not to mention that part of it is filmed in 4:3 :ughh:

You have become the Irish Joe of Cinema Discusso.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's been 10 posts, so here is Mondo's Home Alone where they just show you every single trap. Just showcased today - on sale tomorrow.

This is honestly awesome.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

That's a hell of a cast, but man, I saw the trailer for it before Dallas Buyers Club the other day (not the first time I'd seen, but first time I'd seen it in theaters) and it did not look entertaining in the least. While there are a couple that I dig, I'm not a big fan of most of Wes Anderson's movies, and this one looks like it uses the same "HEY LOOK AT THIS ISN'T THIS QUIRKY?!?!?!" style as a lot of his movies. Not to mention that part of it is filmed in 4:3 :ughh:

Omg not 4:3 :faceplam: don't they know that aspect ratio is hopelessly outdated???

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never seen a fireplace on the second floor above the front door. :colbert:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

scary ghost dog posted:

Omg not 4:3 :faceplam: don't they know that aspect ratio is hopelessly outdated???

I don't think you quite get the complaint against Wes Andersen using it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Slim Killington posted:

Even if he understands the complaint it doesn't change the fact that it's a loving dumb complaint.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

4:3 is always good. All 4:3 all the time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

4:3 is always good. All 4:3 all the time.

You know, I'm sure it could be used in an incredibly misguided way by someone (like Joss Whedon and his amateurish attempt to film in black and white) but clearly Anderson is making a point with the differing aspect ratios on display.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

So what is the complaint?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Darthemed posted:

Someday I'm gonna make my way through this progression of completely unrelated films.

Tesis is really good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The way it looked in the trailer at least, everything in the frame isn't given the proper amount of space needed by using that ratio and everything seemed crammed together. I get that its an aesthetic choice and he's trying to make a point about the way things used to look or whatever, but that doesn't mean it looks good.

The first few scenes of Oz The Great And Powerful were in 4:3, but that was alright because the way it was shot didn't make it look forced like this does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fritz Lang posted:

I learned that American's don't like symbols in their films.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

The first few scenes of Oz The Great And Powerful were in 4:3, but that was alright because the way it was shot didn't make it look forced like this does.

The aspect change in Oz the Great and Powerful was an allusion to the color change in Wizard of Oz. It was thoughtful and intentional. It was not done because "look at this so quirky look." Wes Andersen has forfeit his ability to be intentional or thoughtful or purposed in his filmmaking.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I didn't know this was the bad opinions thread

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

The aspect change in Oz the Great and Powerful was an allusion to the color change in Wizard of Oz. It was thoughtful and intentional. It was not done because "look at this so quirky look." Wes Andersen has forfeit his ability to be intentional or thoughtful or purposed in his filmmaking.

Especially considering the Grand Budapest Hotel was shot in 3 different aspect ratios depending on the timeline of the film, I'm pretty sure Anderson's reasoning was a little more than just about looking quirky or whatever.

But Rageaholic Monkey did say he didn't like any of Wes Anderson's other movies, so it's not very surprising that he doesn't like this one either. I like the majority of Anderson's stuff and I didn't think the 4:3 looked forced or bad or whatever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slim Killington posted:

I didn't mean the 4:3 was part of the quirky style. That applies to the behavior of the majority of characters in Wes Anderson's movies, and from the trailer, it seems like this one will do that same sort of thing. I don't believe quirky characters = inherently terrible. When done right, they can be very likable. But the way Wes Anderson presents them, I find them almost exclusively annoying.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

But the way Wes Anderson presents them, I find them almost exclusively annoying.

That's all I'm trying to say. Not because they're "outdated" and someone should know better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

That's all I'm trying to say. Not because they're "outdated" and someone should know better.

Slim Killington posted:

Wes Andersen has forfeit his ability to be intentional or thoughtful or purposed in his filmmaking.

What are some artist that have earned the right to be intentional and thoughtful in their output?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Every one of them with the exception of Wes Andersen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake, we just went through one derail not one page ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, Aaron, you can do better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeJF posted:

Oh, Aaron, you can do better.

I don't know about that, I think he's the weakest link in the Breaking Bad cast by a long way. (I'm only near the end of S2, so please no "He's really great when he does X in S4".)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that, I think he's the weakest link in the Breaking Bad cast by a long way. (I'm only near the end of S2, so please no "He's really great when he does X in S4".)

I think he manages to hold his own for the most part, but there are some points where he is definitely out-acted to a noticeable degree (which isn't the worst thing considering the experience he has compared to the actors he was working with, Paul has zero formal training as well) and there are a handful of scenes in the final season where he's supposed to be really angry and he just way overacts it and it's not convincing. He does sad and broken really well, though, and even with the weak spots I think he plays the character in a way that probably couldn't be duplicated even by a "better" actor.

I do think his career will probably fizzle out though because I think he gets a lot of credit that should go to the writing and direction on Breaking Bad.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Edgy opinion time: Aaron Paul was better on Breaking Bad than Cranston.

Here is an amazing cast in a movie I never heard of:

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

It's been 10 posts, so here is Mondo's Home Alone where they just show you every single trap. Just showcased today - on sale tomorrow.

Ah, memories:

The Tora Bora complex as imagined by the Times.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jedit posted:

You really shouldn't make blanket statements about a completed show/actor before you finish the show, dude.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Here's hoping that Aaron Paul ends up racing against Predator in that movie which will explain the poster's color scheme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slim Killington posted:

God drat this just makes me think of how badly I hate John Hughes movies.

Post your favorite posters of people holding people up in weird ways!

This reminds me of this:

including a racist tagline!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mustach posted:

Edgy opinion time: Aaron Paul was better on Breaking Bad than Cranston.

That's really more stupid and uninformed than edgy. Cranston is just straight up a more skilled and versatile actor by every possible metric.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah Aaron Paul was fantastic on Breaking Bad, but in no way, shape or form did he ever top Cranston. No one on that show topped Cranston. Not Giancarlo Esposito either.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's really more stupid and uninformed than edgy. Cranston is just straight up a more skilled and versatile actor by every possible metric.
Haha, wow I wasn't expecting to be called stupid right out of the gate.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Here's hoping that Aaron Paul ends up racing against Predator in that movie which will explain the poster's color scheme.

What explaining needs to be done? Yellow and purple look really nice together.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I would back Mustach up on that, actually.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

"Uninformed"? The hell does that even mean?

I mean, if I was forced to I'd say Cranston is better than Paul, but Aaron Paul is loving incredible in that show. His monologue in "Problem Dog" is one of the best things in the entire series.

EDIT: Speaking of Breaking Bad they always killed it with their posters:

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 19, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is a dumb derail. Brian Cranston was awesome, Aaron Paul was awesome, everyone was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Paul's peaks rival Cranston's, but there's not nearly as many of them. Cranston also was much more surefooted overall... you never saw him make a wrong choice, while playing a more complex character with a greater range of expression. There's no question which achievement was more impressive, which is no knock on Paul's work at all. There's no shame in coming in 2nd to Cranston.