Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Slimy Spring Galaxy has far less slime and fewer springs than I expected. At least they didn't make you use that annoying spring power-up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Geostomp posted:

Slimy Spring Galaxy has far less slime and fewer springs than I expected. At least they didn't make you use that annoying spring power-up here.

Imagine if it actually featured the spring "powerup" on slimy floors with ice physics. Ugh.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

To add some fuel to the Yoshi debate: Nintendo has been making characters sound objectively terrible for a while now. They started with Yoshi on the N64. Then when Rare got bought by Microsoft they made Donkey Kong sound like a retard that got kicked in the head. And don't forget about Toad who went from just having a high-pitched voice that wasn't too obnoxious, went to a high-pitched raspy voice that is just made to annoy.
And now the bosses in their games all sound that way. For instance, the boss of Gusty Gardens Galaxy in Galaxy 1 (the giant mole Diabetus mentioned) just uses Donkey Kong's soundclips.

Now that you mention it Toad does have this smoker voice thing going on in Super Mario 3D World, yeah.

Also I'm amazed that this galaxy didn't include the spring powerup anywhere.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It's a spring, you guys.

Like, a little pool of water. Except it's a big pool of water. And more of a tunnel than a pool.

But still. Spring. Not...spring.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Wild Knight posted:

It's a spring, you guys.

Like, a little pool of water. Except it's a big pool of water. And more of a tunnel than a pool.

Ahhhh, ok. It threw me because the whole place is underwater and it does not look like what I imagine a spring to be in my head.

My god I feel dumb.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wild Knight posted:

It's a spring, you guys.

You say that as if they wouldn't usually do it anyways as a pun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You think Nintendo would put springs in a spring? Yeah they totally would.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Geemer posted:

To add some fuel to the Yoshi debate: Nintendo has been making characters sound objectively terrible for a while now. They started with Yoshi on the N64. Then when Rare got bought by Microsoft they made Donkey Kong sound like a retard that got kicked in the head. And don't forget about Toad who went from just having a high-pitched voice that wasn't too obnoxious, went to a high-pitched raspy voice that is just made to annoy.
And now the bosses in their games all sound that way. For instance, the boss of Gusty Gardens Galaxy in Galaxy 1 (the giant mole Diabetus mentioned) just uses Donkey Kong's soundclips.
Three words: "HI I'M DAISY"

Reusing sound clips isn't something new for Nintendo- Wario Land borrowed a lot of sound effects from Metroid II.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

DecayDJK posted:

I spent so much time on the Rolling Lane star, grinding for Star Bits. Once I got the hang of the stage it's the fastest place I found to get lots of them. I think I like it? It might also be Stockholm Syndrome at this point.
That's really the best place to grind for star bits, especially for unlocking the true final level (the Perfect Run in the Grandmaster Galaxy) where you need 9999 star bits.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
:munch:

Y-Hat posted:

Three words that are seldom forgotten among anyone that has spent enough time on the internet.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spenpai posted:

Three words that are seldom forgotten among anyone that has spent enough time on the internet.

Three words forever scorched into the brain of anyone who ever played Mario Kart Double Dash.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Reusing sound clips isn't something new for Nintendo- Wario Land borrowed a lot of sound effects from Metroid II.

I wasn't complaining about reusing sounds. I was complaining about them using terrible sounds.
Reusing stuff is a very important thing to do to keep costs down, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a scolding for using such terrible sounds in the first place.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

The Protagonist posted:

Aquaria is a pretty good Metroid-type that takes place almost entirely in water.

I'm always surprised other people know about that game, but at the same time now I'm waiting for Betus and Beefhead to make fun of you for not going with the low-hanging fruit.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

Three words forever scorched into the brain of anyone who ever played Mario Kart Double Dash.

And who didn't love some Double Dash? Let's be real here.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spenpai posted:

And who didn't love some Double Dash? Let's be real here.

I drove my siblings insane by spamming Daisy's taunt at them from first place.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

I wasn't complaining about reusing sounds. I was complaining about them using terrible sounds.

funky_kong.mp4

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Those are amazing sounds, though.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

I drove my siblings insane by spamming Daisy's taunt at them from first place.

And thus began your descent into the dark side. :twisted:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spenpai posted:

And thus began your descent into the dark side. :twisted:

My descent into the dark side began shortly after I was born and decided that my need for entertainment was more important than my parents need for sleep. These days I amuse myself by randomly changing sides just to keep everyone on their toes.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I like to imagine that the delay between updates is due almost entirely to the time it takes to come up with really good face puns.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Y-Hat posted:

Daisy was one of my favourite characters to play as in Double Dash, I liked her catchphrase too. :colbert:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Mario's favorite Dave Matthew's song is the Face Between.

Mario's favorite CBS show is Without a Face.

I mean they write themselves really.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009
In every video that comes after a hiatus, I keep expecting it to begin with "Sorry it's been so long, I faced out for a while."

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Mooseontheloose posted:

Mario's favorite Dave Matthew's song is the Face Between.

Mario's favorite CBS show is Without a Face.

I mean they write themselves really.

I really think we should give more funding to the National Aeronautics and Face Administration.

I just started watching these and the face puns are really the best part.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXXI - Yet again with the Prankster Comets :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Cherrydoom & chuuurls)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'll take a good story over a snappy edit any day. :colbert:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The use of "canon" to refer to 'the works that count' dates back to the leaders of the early Christian church deciding which books would officially be part of the bible and which would be considered apocryphal. The word turned toward its modern use when Holmes scholars tried to straighten out the often-contradictory stories into a consistent whole. Of course FF7 changed everything, so those don't really count.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Don't fret, Luigi fans. Dr. Luigi is to be released soon.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

General Ironicus posted:

The use of "canon" to refer to 'the works that count' dates back to the leaders of the early Christian church deciding which books would officially be part of the bible and which would be considered apocryphal. The word turned toward its modern use when Holmes scholars tried to straighten out the often-contradictory stories into a consistent whole. Of course FF7 changed everything, so those don't really count.

And then there were levels of canon depending on whether George Lucas actually called something canon or not, because he is the God of all things canon.

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

e: need to finish the videos before I comment...

TwelveBaud fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 19, 2013

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man, that latest retsutalk, Metal Gear Rising PC release date, Jay Mohr confirmed coming back for the next Saints Row game(or DLC) and now a new SMG2 video on the same day one day. Am I dreaming?

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

Man billboard's a real dick to poor Luigi. :(

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The Theorem of Canon, as laid out by the great scientist-saints Cassandra Claire and her little friend Marnie, runs thus:

There are three types of canon:
  • Canon: These are things that happened in the official story. They are 100% inconsequential.
  • My Headcanon: Things I think would be really cool if they happened. I want them to be true so hard, they are! The author's input is, if anything, an obnoxious buzzing in the world's ear. This is the only truth the world need ever know.
  • Other Peoples' Headcanons: Things other people think would be really cool if they happened. These are vile heresies of the darkest kind. There must be a purge. Only when the world is clean may I rest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

beep by grandpa posted:

Man, that latest retsutalk, Metal Gear Rising PC release date, Jay Mohr confirmed coming back for the next Saints Row game(or DLC) and now a new SMG2 video on the same day one day. Am I dreaming?

You forgot perhaps the most relevant thing to this thread that happened today.

Rosalina's in the new Smash Bros and that is amazing.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I care a lot about Mario Canon, and don't care for the jokes being made at its expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56oNmtvKvfI

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Cleretic posted:

You forgot perhaps the most relevant thing to this thread that happened today.

Rosalina's in the new Smash Bros and that is amazing.

Daisy is already being surpassed by another blonde just like God intended.

Blonde Supremacy for evah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PrinceRandom posted:

I just play as Peach in Daisy's colors and do the voice myself.

This is why online play will never replace couch multiplayer.

DecayDOA
Jun 3, 2013

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"What else is going on in this fanart?"

See, cherrydoom knows what's important.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PrinceRandom posted:

Daisy was never in smash bros. I can't really think of any ability she would have to differentiate her from peach. Other than maybe shooting lasers out of that third eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ariong posted:

Daisy was never in smash bros. I can't really think of any ability she would have to differentiate her from peach. Other than maybe shooting lasers out of that third eye.

I know. And now she never will be :smug:

• Locked thread