Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Horrible figure for a horrible show. Works for me. I am glad they're showing interest in making Generations stuff outside of G1, though. I'm not going to buy Tankor, but I think he is a positive sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

Horrible figure for a horrible show.
What is funny to think is that when Beast Wars first came on I thought it was crap because Optimus wasn't a truck, or a car, or even a vehicle. I was really turned off by the whole 'beast' thing. At the time I was... 12?

When Beast Machines came out I was all excited because we were back on Cybertron and we got some vehicles again :rodimus: ! I got Jetstorm and Thrust and they were alright.

Now, looking back having re-watched both series, I've totally flipped on my opinions and I'm now excited for Rhinox and Rattrap, and have zero excitement for Tankor.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I just want an Obsidian that doesn't look like rear end or is an inexplicable headswap of a WWII fighter plane.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't you talk poo poo about the Highbrow mold, Powerdive is fantastic :argh:

All I want is a decent BM Silverb... no wait, the TV design was also poo poo nevermind.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about the Highbrow mold, Powerdive is fantastic :argh:

You misunderstand, I love that mold to bits. Doesn't really make sense for a legless future VTOL dude though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rita Repulsa posted:

If you look at renders from the show you'll see the tank mode is really, really inaccurately proportioned.

This is a brick with treads and a dinky canon, show tankor's tank mode was more brutal looking.

Tankor's vehicle mode in the show was just the upper torso and head surrounded by four treads.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TheDK posted:

Wow that Tankor looks like rear end.
Glad it's not just me. I have the Universe version of the original mold, it may not be show-accurate, but it looks a lot better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I'm the only person who doesn't hate that Tankor.

Then again, I don't really like him, either. I see him and I think "Welp... that sure is Tankor. Good for you if you like Tankor and Beast Machines, I guess."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

Glad it's not just me. I have the Universe version of the original mold, it may not be show-accurate, but it looks a lot better.

Yeah the original Mega Tankor had this Soundwave style physique, except he had massive crab claw arms.

I honestly never really cared for the vehicons. However I have every single Obsidian and Tankor figure including the Robots in Disguise Military repaint of Obsidian that people call Rotorbolt.

But I'm skipping the Timelines Obisidian. Convention exclusives like that are never usually worth their price. I would however love another use of the Highbrow mold, I want a whole squadron of those planes. Eventhough their guns shoot right through their propellers.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

But I'm skipping the Timelines Obisidian. Convention exclusives like that are never usually worth their price. I would however love another use of the Highbrow mold, I want a whole squadron of those planes. Eventhough their guns shoot right through their propellers.

Don't worry, they don't.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

I honestly never really cared for the vehicons.

Exact opposite here. They're some of my favorite designs in the entire franchise for reasons I can't quite articulate. Something about the abstract organic-ish vehicle modes, the strange heads, the absurd colors and the oddly proportioned robot modes just really works. Plus army-builders are always fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As I recall, the Obsidian toy was kickin' rad. I never watched the show, and it was the only toy I had from beast machines.

Coincidentally, it's also the only transformer who transforms into a real thing from that show to my knowledge.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I had no idea that beast hunters Prowl was a rare, shortpacked figure. Apparently they come 1 on a case of 8 deluxes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I had no idea that beast hunters Prowl was a rare, shortpacked figure. Apparently they come 1 on a case of 8 deluxes.

The Wal-Mart near my work got WAY too many Beast Hunters figures and couldn't sell them for at least 6 months, so they just sat there, rotting, without any new transformers coming in. They started taping pairs of deluxes together and selling them 2 for $10 just so they could get rid of them, and I managed to snag Prowl and Bulkhead this way. They're okay. Wish Bulkhead didn't have those funky arms with his hands twisted the wrong way, though.

I also got that 4-pack of clear Dark Energon deluxes (Green Knock-Out, Goldbug Bumblebee, Skywarp and Slicer Wheeljack) for like $20 off BBTS. So I've gotten a bunch of $5 deluxes lately. Knock-out is my favorite of the bunch as I didn't have any Knock-outs before, and he's an awesome neon green. I didn't have any Prime Bumblebees before either, and the one I got kinda sucks. I wonder if its the first edition or PRID mold.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh apparently I have a package from TheDK waiting at home for me.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh apparently I have a package from TheDK waiting at home for me.
I think that is 1 of 2!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheDK posted:

I think that is 1 of 2!

Of 2? Ooh! Well, only one so far. Exciting!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I might be repeating myself but get Nightstrike Bumblebee from the same wave if you find him. He's :krad: , he's barely Bumblebee too. He's just like.. some murderous rear end in a top hat loaded with weapons.

International release waves have different distribution sometimes, so maybe Prowl isn't so rare depending on the country. For example, Instead of the wave that had Airachnid and the wave with Sargeant Kup, we got a mixed wave with Dead End and Rumble over here.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
If any WA goons are interested the Toys R Us in Bellevue has some of the new generations toys out last night. I saw Waspinator, Skids, Dreadwing, and Goldfire. Seeing Goldfire I regret not picking up Goldbug while I was in Japan. Even with Goldbug's mismatched paints scheme.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, box 1 of 2 from TheDK contained... This! There's some fantastic artwork in there! I await box 2! Thanks DK!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Blackheart posted:

I might be repeating myself but get Nightstrike Bumblebee from the same wave if you find him. He's :krad: , he's barely Bumblebee too. He's just like.. some murderous rear end in a top hat loaded with weapons.

International release waves have different distribution sometimes, so maybe Prowl isn't so rare depending on the country. For example, Instead of the wave that had Airachnid and the wave with Sargeant Kup, we got a mixed wave with Dead End and Rumble over here.

Yeah, Night Shadow Bumblebee is incredible. His soulless, empty eye sockets are creepy and awesome. He's like one part Lockdown, one part Wu-Tang and one part pure evil.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
lol, in the preview to the next dark cybertron issue Slag says he's changed his name to slug because Arcee told him his old name was offensive

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"Slag" is probably the name Autobots sign when they troll Decepticon petitions.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So poor Astrotrain has poor eyesight but doesn't say it so Megatron won't be mad :shobon: .

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like the name Venin is actually Venom.

Which means we're up to 4 insecticons in this line already. Just two more for the whole team to be represented in some form.

Also I did not know this but Generations Legends Optimus Prime has a trailer. You just connect roller in vehicle mode to the back of optimus in vehicle mode. There should be two little slots at the bottom of Optimus' feet.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Horrible figure for a horrible show.

If there's any one thing that makes this the best TF discussion area on the internet, it's the fact that no one ever tries to defend Beast Machines. gently caress that show, but gently caress its fans even more. It's one thing for an engineer to design a lovely bridge that's going to fall down, but it's another to review the plans and go "no guys I swear, it's a great bridge! it has more SHADOWS than the last bridge!"

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Well, those kids who grew up in the late '90s were conditioned to think those darker, edgier bridges were the coolest. It's not their fault, really.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think I semi-defended it in some iteration of the thread. I thought it was pretty good for what it was: a sequel where the new writing staff were literally lied to about the characters and events of the previous series. It certainly had plenty of problems, but I don't think Isenberg & Skir's writing itself wasn't one of them. Besides, they've both gone on to write some of the best transformers cartoon episodes since then.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

SpikeMcclane posted:

Besides, they've both gone on to write some of the best transformers cartoon episodes since then.

Well, let's not go crazy. Isenberg's episodes in TFA are pretty good, but nothing Skir has written for any TF series goes beyond average in my book. None of it makes up for Beast Machines, which is still a pretty awful show concept even if you remove the Beast Wars character assassination from it. If it had been a standalone show it would just be a mostly forgotten waste of a couple of years of the franchise, but the BW ruination is what gives the hatred legs.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The worst thing about Beast Machines is that it ends Beast Wars completely and utterly in such a way as to ensure we can't get a proper sequel or spin-off or anything.

Has Hasbro ever considered doing direct-to-DVD movies in the way that Marvel and DC have? I know this is a reach; but I wonder if something like 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' or something based on the current comics would do okay sales? With the movies and tv shows and toys and comics all apparently doing pretty well, maybe it would sell well just by association.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GrimGypsy posted:

Has Hasbro ever considered doing direct-to-DVD movies in the way that Marvel and DC have? I know this is a reach; but I wonder if something like 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' or something based on the current comics would do okay sales? With the movies and tv shows and toys and comics all apparently doing pretty well, maybe it would sell well just by association.

It's called Equestria Girls.

And it was honestly 1980's as all hell. Including the song line up.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Keldroc posted:

Well, let's not go crazy. Isenberg's episodes in TFA are pretty good, but nothing Skir has written for any TF series goes beyond average in my book. None of it makes up for Beast Machines, which is still a pretty awful show concept even if you remove the Beast Wars character assassination from it. If it had been a standalone show it would just be a mostly forgotten waste of a couple of years of the franchise, but the BW ruination is what gives the hatred legs.
For a transformers cartoon, average is freakin' stellar. Being some of the best episodes is a pretty low bar.
Animated was fun and for the most part did referrential right, but the novelty kind of wore off, especially with post-show mouthing off by certain people poisoning it a bit.
Transitioning this a bit, because I'm not going to argue that Beast Machines is actually good. Just that I didn't think it was the worst Transformers has had to offer and that I blame executive meddling instead of the makeup of the writing staff.
Prime was a giant ball of wasted potential, but the three episodes Skir got writing credit on were some of the more interesting ones. I liked them better than the 4 Isenberg did, which were better than the majority of the show. Steven Melching, another major Beast Machines writer wrote alot of the other decent to good Prime episodes. And for the record: Mairghread Scott wrote the best episode of Prime, Chain of Command; one that I actually have chosen to watch multiple times.

GrimGypsy posted:

It would very much depend on how the licensing for cartoons, comics, and movies are all laid out, who would get a cut of it if they made it, and if there's any exclusivity issues. A company did a motion comic version of Autocracy for IDW, which was actually more unpleasant to try to read than the comic version, but that's still a very different thing from a direct to dvd movie like you're talking about. What would make it hopeful, however, is that a few months ago IDW spawned a new company specifically to copy what you're talking about and make things like direct-to-dvd movies based on their properties. Last Stand was a pretty common answer given when they asked fans what they'd like to see be made.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Beast Machines is mediocre, fucks up the personalities of Beast Wars characters, and makes a failed attempt to be thought provoking, but it's far from the worst Transformers show. If you think it is, you haven't seen any of the TF anime. I'm not going to pretend that its that great, but at least I was able to make it though it without dying of boredom. That makes it the 4th best transformers show by default.

I love Beast Wars guys, but if you're a grown adult and really enraged that some mediocre children's cartoon got the characterization wrong for Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Rhinox and so on, I really don't know what to tell you.

Next time you say it's the worst Transformers show, try watching Headmasters or Energon. Forget Transformers, TF: Emergon might be one of the worst animated series I have seen period. Sadly Transformers cartoons aren't exactly high quality. Beast Wars and the '86 movie are kind of the exception.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Say what you want about beast machines, but energon never should've happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ka0 posted:

Say what you want about beast machines, but energon never should've happened.

Last year I did a full run through of Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

The horrors I have seen...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Aw, dude. I'm sorry. (Though I always heard Armada pulled up its trousers in the last few episodes.)

One of these days I'm gonna sit through at least one episode of the Headmasters Singapore Dub. Yes, I know it's not actually from Singapore, I'm just old.

My position's always been, Taken as a sequel to Beast Wars, BM was lousy. Taken as its own thing almost entirely unrelated to BW, BM was decent for a 90s cartoon. And Deluxe Jetstorm was at that point one of the most consummate Transformer toys ever made. Little guy was succint.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm not going to argue that Beast Machines is actually good. Just that I didn't think it was the worst Transformers has had to offer and that I blame executive meddling instead of the makeup of the writing staff.

This is pretty much my opinion. A couple of years ago when I was unemployed I watched Beast Wars and Beast Machines back to back. Then I tried to watch Armada, Energon and Cybertron and I realized that while Beast Machines was poo poo, the Unicron Trilogy was complete garbage.

The only good thing about Cybertron is the Optimus Prime toy, which is still one of my favorite Primes.

Arsenal_12 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 19, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You're a tougher man than I am, that's for sure. I can't sit through that. Life is too short to spend it watching the Unicron Trilogy.

Phy posted:

My position's always been, Taken as a sequel to Beast Wars, BM was lousy. Taken as its own thing almost entirely unrelated to BW, BM was decent for a 90s cartoon. And Deluxe Jetstorm was at that point one of the most consummate Transformer toys ever made. Little guy was succint.

Yeah, agreed. It's a lovely sequel to Beast Wars given all the character assassination and huge tonal shift, but all things considered it's pretty average otherwise.

That said, it reminds me A LOT of the very weird "dark, serious" Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon where Dr. Robotnik took over the world and has enslaved the world, ruled from a dark, creepy city populated by mindless robots, and was fought by Sonic and a band of awful hippie nature-loving furry freedom fighters. It was really odd adapting a cute and colorful video game into that, sorta like Kirby's Dream Land meets Blade Runner. I dunno what they were thinking. I blame that show for the whole furry thing. (Now my little pony ushers in a new era of weirdos)

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 19, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
See this is what I mean, there's some halfhearted BM "defense" here, but it's very well thought out, and pretty limited to "not as bad as some other TF shows". If you criticize BM on any other TF discussion forum, a bunch of weirdos crawl out of the walls like that scene in Aliens to scream about how deep it is, how it's better than BW, how the weird characterization makes sense if you just freee your miiiind, maaaannn, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair the atmosphere of the show was really cool, it just didn't fit as a sequel to Beast Wars and almost every other bit of the show was complete garbage. It's like a malformed early attempt at the things Transformers Prime got right(ish).