Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Shake for flashlight (surprisingly useful)

Seconding this, but if you don't want tasker there's an app called flashlight led genius that does just this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Surprise T Rex posted:

In the storage section of the settings it has separate sections for Internal/'SD card' though, and gives me a warning notification when I get near to using all 1gb.

Modern phones don't have an app partition that's arbitrarily limited. The whole phone internal storage is available to install apps. That's one of the reasons why they moved to MTP.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Surprise T Rex posted:

In the storage section of the settings it has separate sections for Internal/'SD card' though, and gives me a warning notification when I get near to using all 1gb.

Modern phone storage looks like this

EDIT: From my 32GB Nexus 5. Most of the 2GB is Pocketcasts

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Endless Mike posted:

If you need your phone to be exciting you need to find something better to do with your life.

I can agree with this.

Being bored with your device you pay 100$+ a month for is a bummer though. So I totally get changing software around to make it less drab.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AnandTech posted a review of the Moto G today. There's nothing particularly interesting or revelatory about the article, but since people are usually interested in their reviews I figured I'd pass it along. The conclusion is much the same as other reviews: it's a very good budget smartphone.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Seconding this, but if you don't want tasker there's an app called flashlight led genius that does just this.

That's fuckin genius.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of unlocking bootloaders and whatnot, here's an article that explains the different experiences you'll receive with the GPE devices. Since these devices are maintained by the OEMs, the bootloaders aren't anything like the Nexus line.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...s-and-pitfalls/

Every GPE device is mentioned except for the LG G Pad 8.3. AP's EIC had this to say:

Artem Russakovskii posted:

I would like to actually mention that unlocking the G Pad 8.3 GPE gave me a lot of trouble and really showed the difference between GPE and Nexus.

The issue is with flashing a custom recovery right after unlocking the bootloader, which actually affects the latest Nexus devices as well due to a change in unlock sequences under-the-hood.

But the point is with a Nexus device, I always know Google will provide all the necessary files to flash back and recover from pretty much anything. The factory image will contain the bootloader, recovery, system, userdata, and radio - all the components I need.

GPE devices, however, are far from guaranteed to have these files. Just look at LG's V510 page right now: it's pretty much empty: http://www.lg.com/us/support-m....

I was able to unbrick my G Pad after a day thanks to a fellow XDA user. Not thanks to LG. And that is why a Nexus will always trump GPE in that sense.

However, start getting used to GPE devices, as that's going to be the best way to get high-end hardware that gets fast updates. I just wish OEMs treated it with more respect (just look at Sony's disastrous initial release of the Z Ultra GPE).

He then refers to his G+ account:

quote:

This day is just not going right.

The Z Ultra is a hard brick, and now the G Pad is a soft one. I updated to 4.4.2, unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP and SuperSU and nothing else (which I've done countless times before). Now it won't boot.

Hopefully, this thread I started will help with a solution, but drat. Two down on the same day.

quote:

Some good news - the G Pad got unbricked thanks to XDA member Mixinitup4Christ (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48617560&postcount=15) who provided the stock recovery image which did whatever TWRP couldn't do and finally allowed the tablet to boot.

My earlier troubles with bootloader unlocking and flashing recovery are here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/107797272029781254158/posts/85v5cX8JMQQ.

The lesson is: ALWAYS REBOOT AFTER fastboot oem unlock BEFORE FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERIES OR ELSE....

Hopefully, this will help others flashing and unlocking things in the future.

The article states that the LG G Pad 8.3 had no actual issues (despite this one) so...yeah. If you have a GPE device, watch out about unlocking bootloaders because, despite them being unlockable by default, the methods aren't always as easy as the fastboot method from the Nexus line.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, got my N5 today. Very nice. Android, at least ASOP, is finally at the point where you don't HAVE to install twenty different things to make it acceptable to use. I'm using almost entirely stock apps and it's fine. I love the auto-awesome stuff in the gallery, too.

One thing that deserves special mention is the new wireless charger. Google nailed it this time around as much as they missed it with that first orb thing for the N4. I love it and will be buying another for the work office.

The big miss this time around is the official bumper case. Feels cheap, and the buttons are just terrible. That thing is going back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I guess Verizon was waiting to get the SGS3 push out of the way...

:D

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

I guess Verizon was waiting to get the SGS3 push out of the way...

:D

Did it finally get 4.3 today?

I wonder how early "early tomorrow" is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

Did it finally get 4.3 today?

I wonder how early "early tomorrow" is.

Yeah, the SGS3 got 4.3 today.

In my past experience, pretty much 8am EST on the dot.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the SGS3 got 4.3 today.

In my past experience, pretty much 8am EST on the dot.

Do the OTAs only work over the network? I thought I remembered downloading the first over WiFi, but I work 5-1 tomorrow and don't have cell coverage in the building.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

Do the OTAs only work over the network? I thought I remembered downloading the first over WiFi, but I work 5-1 tomorrow and don't have cell coverage in the building.

They work fine on wifi, that's how I usually download them.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Are you guys talking about the new Droids getting Kit Kat? Got a link?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Crossbar posted:

Are you guys talking about the new Droids getting Kit Kat? Got a link?

I'm sure the blogs will have something soon. All I can say is there's no word on general availability yet.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So this whole bluetooth trusted device business sounds pretty awesome, and would be helpful for me.

Is there any way to make it work on an N5? It seems Tasker can make it happen, but I don't want it to be a giant pain in the rear end. Also, I understand that the most popular option is a Cobra Tag, and that the battery will be good for a couple of days, but how does the phone's battery life fair?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure the blogs will have something soon. All I can say is there's no word on general availability yet.

In addition to whatever it is you're hinting at here, they published some unknown update to contextual services for the Moto X and the Droids on the Play Store today. They've been busy.

edit: It says something about Bluetooth driving detection support having been added, but I can't find anything in the Assist app to enable or disable it. So who knows.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

IuniusBrutus posted:

So this whole bluetooth trusted device business sounds pretty awesome, and would be helpful for me.

Is there any way to make it work on an N5? It seems Tasker can make it happen, but I don't want it to be a giant pain in the rear end. Also, I understand that the most popular option is a Cobra Tag, and that the battery will be good for a couple of days, but how does the phone's battery life fair?

if Tasker
then giant pain in the rear end
at least in my experience. My phone's battery life seems to be fine being connected to the tag 24/7. I don't know if it would be better or worse for the N5+Tasker, but I'd assume worse.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I use tasker to put my phone on silent while Im at work and to open-play-music/press-play when I connect to bluetooth. Works well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

In addition to whatever it is you're hinting at here, they published some unknown update to contextual services for the Moto X and the Droids on the Play Store today. They've been busy.

edit: It says something about Bluetooth driving detection support having been added, but I can't find anything in the Assist app to enable or disable it. So who knows.

It's possible it's just another piece of data to enable/disable driving mode.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to delete an Exchange email account on a Nexus 5? I've got T-Mobile, followed the instructions they give to do it, and when I hit the menu button, the only option I've got is "Sync Now." I suspect this might have something to do with our Hosted Exchange settings at work, so maybe I should ask in that thread, but I thought someone here might know offhand if there's a way to do it from the phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Actually ran into this last week and it is a bit difficult to find
Go into settings (global system settings, not inside the mail app), scroll down to 'Accounts', tap 'Corporate', tap the relevant account, hit the 'three dots' button on the top right, tap 'Remove Account'

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Due to the markup of the Nexus 5 where I live (Sweden), I'm thinking of buying it from the play store UK, shipping it to my family there and have them send it to me. I can't think of any flaw in my plan, except for stuff like it's a different power wall socket. I can live with that for getting it ~£100 cheaper. I'm planning to use it unlocked anyway, since no operator offers the Nexus 5 with a good plan here. Am I missing anything?

The plan I'm going to use does offer a Galaxy S4, but I really can't stand the looks of it. :(

That's the way I did it, since the 32gb model wasn't available in Norway. The only thing you need to be weary of is the possibility of Royal Mail being a bit of a pain in the rear end, and getting them to ship with an actual insurance might cost you around £50 or more.

I'm getting mine delivered to my door tomorrow morning. Since my contact was already coming home from the UK for Christmas, I we decided on not bothering with Royal Mail, and mail it from within Norwegian borders instead. A lot cheaper, though I had to wait at least two weeks longer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those with decent battery life on the Nexus 7/4, are you using Android Device Manager?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

For those with decent battery life on the Nexus 7/4, are you using Android Device Manager?

Depends on how you define 'decent' I guess, but I have no complaints using GEL and ADM on the N4

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Depends on how you define 'decent' I guess, but I have no complaints using GEL and ADM on the N4

I'm getting 1 hr of screen on time with 12h on my Nexus 4 with no GEL and ADM on. I get about 5hr of screen time with 1 day of battery on the N7 2013. I'm starting to think that something is using it in the background. Not sure what though since BBS needs root for most things on 4.4.2 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHd-_qncEU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In other news, Galaxy S 4s are exploding and Samsung is trying to do a media gag order so no one will talk about it. It seems it's working too because the only sites to mention it seem to be Apple based. I've yet to see an Android based site mention it at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm usually getting 3h45m screen time over about a 15 hour period.

It used to be more but I have a bad habit of playing the stupid Simpsons game on the bus to and from work (seems to drain the battery like crazy)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHd-_qncEU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In other news, Galaxy S 4s are exploding and Samsung is trying to do a media gag order so no one will talk about it. It seems it's working too because the only sites to mention it seem to be Apple based. I've yet to see an Android based site mention it at all.
That can't be right because that would mean that Samsung is a poo poo company that makes poo poo products while also treating their poo poo customers like poo poo. Not only that it would also mean that tech "journalism" is also poo poo and serves as nothing more than clickbait PR firms who talk up poo poo companies making poo poo products in exchange for swag.

If you're telling me we're living in a society where we can't trust the Samsungs and AndroidsPolice of the world to be upfront with their customers and readers I'm not sure it's a society worth living in.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

This sounds like more of a feature than anything else. Don't want media outlets telling consumers about it so Apple won't be able to get the jump and make a better version that always explodes in the shape of an Apple.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's not like this is new. The apartment that burned up referred to in the video happened in July and of course there have been plenty of reports of official Samsung batteries swelling up. (I linked those two sites because they are from a Samsung mobile fan site.) I haven't seen any stories about Samsung batteries/phones blowing up since then so I don't doubt that Samsung is trying to keep things quiet but it's looking like this guy is getting enough traction to sink that plan.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only SGS4 incident that truly intrigues me is the one that surfaced earlier in the year, where the phone "exploded" in a girl's pocket and left her with third-degree burns. Or was that a SGS3?

Other than that, I can't say I suspect Samsung of a successful media gag campaign. The SGS4 surely sold millions of units worldwide, and to only see an infinitesimal number of documented incidents suggests user error or other outside influences.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

enojy posted:

The only SGS4 incident that truly intrigues me is the one that surfaced earlier in the year, where the phone "exploded" in a girl's pocket and left her with third-degree burns. Or was that a SGS3?

Other than that, I can't say I suspect Samsung of a successful media gag campaign. The SGS4 surely sold millions of units worldwide, and to only see an infinitesimal number of documented incidents suggests user error or other outside influences.
If you're referring to the one in Sweden (I think), that was a SGS3. While some incidents are likely user error it's just as likely that some aren't. The fact that Samsung won't replace the device without an NDA does seem a little suspect.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

enojy posted:

The batteries they use are poo poo.

Girls Note 2 is on battery 3, She uses the official charger and does nothing but normal poo poo on her phone. No benchmarks, No games, no root, No roms. Just stock, facebook, phone calls, and texting. Of course photos and things but again nothing that should make the phone "heat up" to a point the battery boils. Yet shes on her 3rd one.

My SGS3, 2 replacement samsung brand batteries. I do beat the poo poo out of my batteries but I do use official brand chargers.

Samsung brands lovely batteries. This isnt new. The phones catching fire is kind of scary though. You'd think samsung would want to save PR face on the whole deal and would help people out without making them sign lives away.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Is this the story you are talking about?
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-that-injured-18-year-old-girl-exploded-due-to-third-party-battery_id45509
Seems like it had a 3rd party battery that was poo poo.

ulvir posted:

That's the way I did it, since the 32gb model wasn't available in Norway. The only thing you need to be weary of is the possibility of Royal Mail being a bit of a pain in the rear end, and getting them to ship with an actual insurance might cost you around £50 or more.

I'm getting mine delivered to my door tomorrow morning. Since my contact was already coming home from the UK for Christmas, I we decided on not bothering with Royal Mail, and mail it from within Norwegian borders instead. A lot cheaper, though I had to wait at least two weeks longer.

Ah, thanks! I looked it up and it seems like I should be able to ship it as a small parcel for ~£15 with a £500 coverage. Seems alright. If not my contact can bring it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah, thanks! I looked it up and it seems like I should be able to ship it as a small parcel for ~£15 with a £500 coverage. Seems alright. If not my contact can bring it.
Yeah, you can't.

It looks like it on the face of things, but if you dig far enough you'll find that enhanced compensation is not available on mobile phones. Royal Mail suck sometimes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Well of course. It's Android Police, not Android Fire Department.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

That can't be right because that would mean that Samsung is a poo poo company that makes poo poo products while also treating their poo poo customers like poo poo.
As much as I agree with this sentiment, hasn't it turned out that every single fire/explosion was caused by a third-party battery?

I guess technically I can still blame it on Samsung for allowing users to swap out high energy density parts on their mobile telephones.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, christ why do we have removable batteries in TYOOL 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Virtually all Android related blogs are essentially fan sites and rely on the OEMs to supply them with review units. If Samsung tells them to shut the gently caress up, or else they have to buy their own poo poo, I can see it working easily. Blogs aren't exactly money machines, especially when your customer base is a little more tech literate and blocks ads.

--edit: And when did that TYOOL poo poo become a new, I suppose sarcastic, trend?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just noticed a weird problem on my HTC One:

I uninstalled an app, and then as soon as it finished, this is what the "uninstall" screen looked like:

I let it sit there for a while, but nothing happened. I installed SpellTower close to two weeks ago. Here it is in my App Drawer:

And I can play iy just fine, too:

What gives?

Edit: Well, a reboot fixed it, so :iiam:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2013

• Locked thread