Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Was naval nuclear propulsion developed independently by the Soviets, or by espionage? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Was naval nuclear propulsion developed independently by the Soviets, or by espionage? Both?

Polmar's Cold War Submarines says nothing about espionage efforts concerning reactor technology. It's more of a general history of sub rather than reactor development though.

The Soviets did at least design the hull form of their first nuclear submarine (and subsequent production run) part-based on intelligence gathered from USS Albacore.

e:

Polmar, Cold War Submarines, p324 posted:

The USS Nautilus (SSN 571), the world's first nuclear-propelled vehicle, went to sea in january 1955. Three and a half years later the Soviet K-3 was underway on nuclear power. The interval had been less than four years between detonation of the first U.S. atomic bomb and the first Soviet atomic explosion. These intervals are significant because the Soviets received extensive information from spies on the U.S. atomic bomb project, while there is no evidence that significant classified information on U.S. nuclear submarine development was obtained by the Soviets.

Well, well, well.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 17, 2013

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
A nuclear submarine is basicly instead of a combustion engine charging batteries, providing power, you have a nuke reactor providing power. If you can build a working nuclear power plant, it would just be a matter of time and effort to build i t small enough for a sub.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Alchenar posted:

The Soviet Union. With enough men you can brute force any problem!

Isn't this anti-air rather than indirect fire?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alekanderu posted:

Isn't this anti-air rather than indirect fire?

Yes, unless their sniper scopes and the leader's binoculars are equipped with some really warped lenses.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I've got a question. I posted this a while back in the TFR cold war thread and only got a rather curt response and I'm curious as to if someone here could elaborate more on it:

Tracula posted:

I actually have a question that I hope would fit in quite well here. I spent the summer in the United Kingdom and there was a store with all sorts of old and surplus military stuff and this caught my eye. The tag said it was a "West German Luftwaffe greatcoat" and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to shed some more light on it?
Pictures are a bit poo poo but hopefully are good enough.

Rampant lion on the left sleeve

Not a full picture of the jacket. The shape is a little worn. It's missing a button on the left side and one of the bits on top to attach the rank insignia is missing. Otherwise it's in pretty good condition for being 50+ years old and having see god knows how much.

Shot of the tag. Nothing else inside the jacket, I presume that's just the size?

And some (badly lit) shots of the backs of the buttons. Not sure what exactly is stamped on the back but I figure someone here may know.

Someone said the crest was from this: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/10._Panzerdivision_(Bundeswehr) Although the tag said it was, as perviously stated, a luftwaffe greatcoat so I'm wondering what the case could be or if there's any history to it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
But is in fact, like I said in the Cold War thread, a Bundeswehr 10. Panzerdivision shoulder insignia, so whats there to be confused about? Did you think someone sewed a postwar patch on a Nazi coat?

Don't fret though, I looked it up some more for you. Bottom left: Deutsches Heer (although it seems the Bundesluftwaffe had these as well), Großer Dienstanzug, heavy winter coat. Here's the size key. The stylized Eagle on the buttons is kinda hard to make out but it looks like a West-German one? And maybe the 25 is... I dunno, the BW silver jubilee?

The very simplified history to it is that AFAIK the newly founded Bundeswehr tried to do away with its Nazi Wehrmacht legacy partly by clothing themselves in 'American' styles, while the NVA (East German Army) kept going with traditional Prussian cuts (and an update to the M45 Stahlhelm of course).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I may be stranded in Kassel for a day because of a sudden cash flow problem, so while I'm waiting to phone my bank I thought I would tell you guys about a pretty cool guy. He leads armies and doesn't afraid of anything.

Georg von Frundsberg's military career spanned 28 years, during which he helped Emperor Maximilian organize the first Landsknechts. (These troops were not only formed on Swiss models, they were originally trained by Swiss consultants, brought in for the purpose--very quickly, though, the Swiss got mad at the Germans for copyright infringement and brand dilution.) He fought in the Italian Wars, is recorded as saying nice things to Luther during the Diet of Worms, and is known for his savvy leadership, including a nicely done withdrawal during the Italian War of 1521-26.

His greatest victory was, of course, Pavia in 1525, where his troops soundly defeated the army led by the French and captured the King of France himself. (Pavia is especially interesting for two reasons: the first, because large portions of it happened before six in the morning and since it was February, nobody knew what the gently caress while everyone wandered around in the dark for a while; the second, because these guys got basically murdered during it. I think that was because the landsknechts in Imperial employ thought that it was OK to fight for the French but it's not OK to live there permanently and disobey the Emperor when he asks you to come back. I could be wrong, though.)

In 1526, von Frundsberg was called up again when the Emperor resumed fighting in Italy. But this time, he found it difficult to raise enough money, even after he sold off his table silver and jewelry. Nevertheless, he was able to raise an army quickly, probably because of his excellent reputation. (Like I said somewhere here earlier, we know he advertised. "Hi, I'm Georg von Frundsberg. You may remember me from such fights as: the Battle of Pavia! [ASK] me about a well-done retreat.")

He led his employees over the alps during the winter of 1526/27 on half-pay and promises, and I think they followed him because they loved him. I know he loved them and he cared for them, calling them his "beloved sons." In return, he got the most anyone ever got out of landsknechts without paying them. But his army made it as far as San Giovanni, near Modena, when the people refused to go any further. He went out to talk to them, which had worked every time before, but this time they shouted him down, screaming for money.

Grief-stricken, he suffered a stroke. He went back home and died about a year later.

Or the stroke could have been because this was him:

Even his armor is fat.

GEORGE VON FRUNDSBERG LEADER OF THE EMPEROR'S GERMAN ARMY - SUPPRESSED THE REVOLT OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN TYROL AND THE ALPINE REGIONS - WHOLLY SUBDUED THE REBEL POPULACE OF THE CITIES IN LIGURIA AND ITALY ACROSS THE PO - IN THE MARSHES OF VENICE HE WAS VICTOR, ATTACKED WITH HIS ARMY UNTIL THAT INIQUITOUS PLACE FELL TO SIEGE - LIBERATED A FOURTH AND A FIFTH IN PITCHED BATTLE - THIS IS THE WAY HE WAS ARMED WHEN THE FRENCH FELL TO HIM BEFORE PAVIA - HE CAPTURED THEIR CAMP AND PRESERVED THOSE WHO FEARED THE UTMOST - LIVED FOR FIFTY FOUR YEARS TEN MONTHS TWENTY SEVEN DAYS - DIED IN CHRIST 1528 IN THE MONTH OF AUGUST ON THE TWENTIETH DAY

Please help me fix this Latin, by the way. I suck at Latin, and my abbreviations dictionary is in Dresden so I can't look up that backwards 3-looking thing in the second-to-last line.

Edit: Yo, Xhiaohou Dun, this article is a stub and you can help improve bar.wikipedia by expanding it!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 19, 2013

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a travelling HEGEL posted:

WHOLLY SUBDUED THE REBEL POPULACE OF THE CITIES IN LIGURIA AND ITALY ACROSS THE PO [?]

Im guessing this is referring to the Po River in northern italy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Transpadanam would mean areas north of the Po, I guess.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Alternatively, he was the long-lost inventor of the po' boy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
That's not my problem, although I didn't know transpadana was a word; my problem is the last sentence.

Bacarruda posted:

Alternatively, he was the long-lost inventor of the po' boy.
Be honest--does this look like a man who ever met a sandwich he didn't like?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd give it a shot but TBH I'd strain my eyes trying to read that tiny image.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd give it a shot but TBH I'd strain my eyes trying to read that tiny image.

The writing is the only thing that is tiny about that image.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think if that guy were alive today he would be valiantly leading raids in Azeroth instead of doing something constructive.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I don't think that history would be worse for it if warlords had just played vidja games. Though military history would be pretty boring.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slavvy posted:

I think if that guy were alive today he would be valiantly leading raids in Azeroth instead of doing something constructive.

A good soldier is better at being destructive I'd say.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Please help me fix this Latin, by the way. I suck at Latin, and my abbreviations dictionary is in Dresden so I can't look up that backwards 3-looking thing in the second-to-last line.

I guess the strange 3 is just a B, so it would read "CASTRA CAEPIT OBSESSOS EXTREMAQUE METUENTES SERVAVIT", which I would translate "He captured castles/camps and saved the besieged fearing the utmost". My Latin courses are a thing of the past though. :eng99:

I found a quite similar Latin description of Frundsberg here (http://books.google.de/books?id=l9w5AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA160#v=onepage&q&f=false), though the book is in Italian so I'm not sure what the context is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Has anyone tried a Latin course from Rosetta Stone or something similar? It's a cheaper/smaller course than their usual Spanish/French/German/etc, but I'd only be interested in becoming functionally literate for random poo poo like this.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I found a kinda funny document in the national military archives of Sweden while I was poking around there looking for tankfacts. It's a report listing the stockpiles of certain equipment and ammunition as of July 1st, 1957, and while it'd ordinarily be incredibly dry reading, the bizarre numbers makes me giggle. In a country with a population of 7.3 million at the time, there are stockpiles of about 1.5 million anti-tank mines and 1.6 million anti-personnel mines. Every grown man gets a gun, a pair of boots and a mine! Or how about 2100 metric tons of plastic explosive? 350 million rounds of 6.5mm ammo (sorta funny that the switch to 7.62mm NATO started only a few years later)? 67,000 kilometers of telephone wire? 320,000 spades? A hundred thousand bicycles? The list goes on.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 19, 2013

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TheFluff posted:

I found a kinda funny document in the national military archives of Sweden while I was poking around there looking for tankfacts. It's a report listing the stockpiles of certain equipment and ammunition as of July 1st 1957, and while it'd ordinarily be incredibly dry reading, the bizarre numbers makes me giggle. In a country with a population of 7.3 million at the time, there are stockpiles of about 1.5 million anti-tank mines and 1.6 million anti-personnel mines. Every grown man gets a gun, a pair of boots and a mine! Or how about 2100 metric tons of plastic explosive? 350 million rounds of 6.5mm ammo? 67,000 kilometers of telephone wire? 320,000 spades? A hundred thousand bicycles? The list goes on.
This, along with many other posts in this thread, are really making me wonder about what the Swedes thought would happen in the event the Cold War went hot. I had always thought that the attack would come across mainland Europe, not through Scandinavia. Was stuff like this just their way of letting the Soviet Union know that invading them would be more trouble than it was worth or was invasion a serious possibility in the event of a Soviet invasion of Europe?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Azathoth posted:

This, along with many other posts in this thread, are really making me wonder about what the Swedes thought would happen in the event the Cold War went hot. I had always thought that the attack would come across mainland Europe, not through Scandinavia. Was stuff like this just their way of letting the Soviet Union know that invading them would be more trouble than it was worth or was invasion a serious possibility in the event of a Soviet invasion of Europe?

The Swedish headquarters basically imagined two main threats. The first one was in the far north, where they thought the Soviets would want to get at Norway through Sweden, in order to take the NATO air and naval bases there, which would eliminate a large threat to the Soviet northern front. The second one was in the far south, where the Sound was seen as strategically important as the one way in and out of the Baltic Sea, and the Soviets were thought to want to control both sides of it. Remember that southern Sweden was actually east of the Iron Curtain at the time. The Swedish island of Gotland in the middle of the Baltic Sea was also seen as an important location.

As far as Swedish military planning goes, "the Great Patriotic War" seems like an apt description.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 19, 2013

torrid love affair
Feb 13, 2006

Based on a true story
Can anyone point me to a good source to learn more about or tell me about the Bathianyi (or Batthyany) Dragoon regiment of the Austrian Army around 1758-1780? I've been googling like mad but not finding much that pertains to what I'm looking for, except for the results from my own site!

I'm looking specifically for information about my 6th great grandfather, Lieutenant Theodore Joseph Oudart (also spelled Houdart), but would be quite happy to get information about the regiment's movements during that time period so I can locate his children's birth records. He was born in Cambrai, France and shows up in records there until 1758, then disappears until 1780 when he reappeared in Belgium. One daughter's baptismal record mentions he was in Sellye, Hungary in 1769.

He was also a Captain in the French army according to "Les papiers des comités militaires de la Constituante, de la Législative et de la Convention, 1789-an IV", which says that he requested to be reinstated to the French army with his former rank. However I have no idea (yet!) about his service there.

I have some family stories that have been passed down about his military service (claims that he had an independent company of soldiers that accompanied Marie Antoinette on her journey to France) but as I've found some of the details to be incorrect, I doubt their veracity.

My apologies if this is too specific a request, but I figured if anyone knew where I should look to do further research, it would be someone in this thread! General information would be great, too, if anyone wants to talk about the political situation and why he might have chosen to volunteer for the Austrian army at that time. I'm pretty clueless about what was happening and would love to learn more.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you ever have the opportunity to actually visit France, I suggest you take it. That's probably the best (only) way to find records detailed enough. The good news is that the French Ministry of Defence appears to have records going back to the 17th century.

torrid love affair
Feb 13, 2006

Based on a true story
That would be fantastic! Hopefully I'll have the opportunity, some day. Thank you!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Guns of August made a mention of a certain Mr Haldane drawing the ire of the British government when he was asked what kind of army should Britain have, and he answered "a Hegelian army". I'm afraid I'm not getting the context. Help?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Guns of August made a mention of a certain Mr Haldane drawing the ire of the British government when he was asked what kind of army should Britain have, and he answered "a Hegelian army". I'm afraid I'm not getting the context. Help?

I've dug into this a bit for you and its pretty :psyduck:. Haldane was the British minister of war between 1905 and 1912 and reorganized the British army so that the BEF could be sent into the field as quickly as possible with territorial and home guard units being the second line while Kitchener's Mob was being formed. This was the system Britain entered WW1 with and is why the BEF was able to get in France in two weeks time instead of the British taking months to muddle through.

Haldane was also apparently well versed enough in Hegel's philosophy at such a young age as to be noteworthy of it. How his reforms of the army fit in with the Hegelian concept of Entwicklung is loving anyone's guess though.

e: oh wait here we go.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-z...%20army&f=false

It has nothing to do with anything inherent to Hegelianism, apparently being done or thought about in a rational manner was enough for Haldane to label something with Hegelianism.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 19, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slavvy posted:

His is a neckbearded ethnicity.

Godholio posted:

Has anyone tried a Latin course from Rosetta Stone or something similar? It's a cheaper/smaller course than their usual Spanish/French/German/etc, but I'd only be interested in becoming functionally literate for random poo poo like this.
Rosetta Stone sucks balls. If a college near you will let you enroll in classes even if you don't go there, that's what I did.

Six years ago, which explains my current problems.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

torrid love affair posted:

Can anyone point me to a good source to learn more about or tell me about the Bathianyi (or Batthyany) Dragoon regiment of the Austrian Army around 1758-1780? I've been googling like mad but not finding much that pertains to what I'm looking for, except for the results from my own site!
These guys are way too late for anything I was interested in, but they might be able to help you out:
http://www.oesta.gv.at/site/6155/default.aspx

If you ever manage to go there, Michel Hochedlinger is quite friendly and fun to hang out with, even while he was explaining to me that no, he couldn't help me in any way and was I sure about my current focus, perhaps I should switch to something later, which is what the last American grad student to come through there ended up doing...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-z...%20army&f=false

It has nothing to do with anything inherent to Hegelianism, apparently being done or thought about in a rational manner was enough for Haldane to label something with Hegelianism.
Not necessarily.
http://books.google.de/books?id=XdW...%20army&f=false
One of the principles of Hegel's thought is that everything grows out of its context and depends upon that context for its identity. So, here, the entity is the British Army and the context is British society.

Like you said, he apparently also identified as Hegelian the practice of starting from first principles whenever you think about anything, which isn't inherent to Hegel's ideas.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 19, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slavvy posted:

There weren't enough loot drops in the game he ended up playing to keep the party together. :(

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I live 10mins away from the Staatsarchiv and never even realized that it's there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InspectorBloor posted:

I live 10mins away from the Staatsarchiv and never even realized that it's there.
:stare: Which one? If it's the Haus-, Hof-, und Staatsarchiv, what the gently caress is your rent like?

Also, so this post has content rather than just chat, I was reading an article about desertion during the Thirty Years' War the day before yesterday, and the author mentioned that although armies were religiously heterogeneous, unwillingness to work for someone of a different religion was sometimes a reason for desertion. So just because Hagendorf didn't seem to care doesn't mean that nobody cared. I was wrong.

gipskrampf posted:

I found a quite similar Latin description of Frundsberg here (http://books.google.de/books?id=l9w5AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA160#v=onepage&q&f=false), though the book is in Italian so I'm not sure what the context is.
Ha ha, holy poo poo, this one contains the phrase He terrified the city with iron and fire.

Did you enjoy Festung Dresden, by the way? :allears:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 19, 2013

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The area around Nottendorfer Gasse 2, which is the official address for the archive is actually a pretty lovely area of the city. Used to be shanty town in the 1900s (a place famous for cheap cheap prostitutes and catching Syhphilis), as nobody with any sense left wanted to live close to the central gas depots.

Incidentally, there's the Franzosengraben close by, which was part of the Gürtel or Linienwall that enclosed the original trace itallienne that protected the city. As the name gives away, it was held by a detachment of french soldiers when the turks came in 1683.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How did you guys like Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter? I've been meaning to watch it and I suppose a bunch of war nerds would be the best judge on a German series about WW2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rosetta Stone sucks balls. If a college near you will let you enroll in classes even if you don't go there, that's what I did.

Six years ago, which explains my current problems.

That's the other (significantly more expensive) option.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InspectorBloor posted:

The area around Nottendorfer Gasse 2, which is the official address for the archive is actually a pretty lovely area of the city. Used to be shanty town in the 1900s (a place famous for cheap cheap prostitutes and catching Syhphilis), as nobody with any sense left wanted to live close to the central gas depots.
OK, so you don't live ten minutes from here, which means you are not the richest dude in Vienna.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A friend asked me about an online/distance MA in history. Are there any programs that are regarded well enough to get him a look at a decent PhD program with an eye to a professorship down the line? I honestly have no idea and Google isn't much help.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
74 years ago, some army dudes begrudgingly agreed that convertible drive might not be the way to go for tanks, and the T-34 was born. :toot:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

A friend asked me about an online/distance MA in history. Are there any programs that are regarded well enough to get him a look at a decent PhD program with an eye to a professorship down the line? I honestly have no idea and Google isn't much help.
:lol: no. Do not get your degree by mail order. Sign them up for an account here so I can yell at them until they don't have bad ideas any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Davincie posted:

How did you guys like Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter? I've been meaning to watch it and I suppose a bunch of war nerds would be the best judge on a German series about WW2

I didn't see it, but half of Poland completely lost their poo poo when this series was shown on national TV. Even the fact that it had actual historians commenting on it before and after the episodes didn't really help. From what I've read, there was quite a bit of reason to it, though, and it appears kinda revisionist. But that's just a second hand opinion, mind you.

• Locked thread