Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Boozie posted:

So for a dumbass like myself, how do I load it on my iPad and what does the 2x zoom entail? I've only owned this for ~2 weeks so I'm still learning basic stuff. I typically either buy the game on the iPad itself or if I buy it on iTunes on my PC it loads it up automatically.

Go to the app store on your iPad and hit the purchases tab on the bottom; you should be able to download it there.

edit: Once you run the app, if you have a retina iPad, you will have a choice between running iPhone apps at their actual (phone) size centered on the screen surrounded by tons of black space or stretching it to mostly fill the screen. The 1x/2x button in the corner toggles between the two of these.

Non-retina iPads automatically run the apps at 2x; this cannot be changed (except maybe via jailbreaking?).

edit2: do you brits call it gaolbreaking?

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

PFlats posted:

Go to the app store on your iPad and hit the purchases tab on the bottom; you should be able to download it there.

Don't worry about 2x zoom; it's a dead feature. You used to have a choice between running iPhone apps at their actual (phone) size centered on the screen surrounded by tons of black space or stretching it to mostly fill the screen. iOS 7 eliminated that choice and automatically stretches the apps because the other choice was pretty dumb to begin with.

:confused: it's still there for me

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

I think you're thinking of something else. I don't have the game but in the app store it lists alot of IAPs and from what I understand it's basically a TT type game, which are built around IAP

I mean that's the thing I don't get, these games are supposed to be free so you get hooked and then waste money on the IAPs. Why the hell would you make the game cost $3? You're blocking a bunch of people from even having the desire to but IAPs which is the whole way the game is supposed to make money in the first place.

Oh, I promise you that Star Trek Trexels will be free before the end of the week, or maybe after Christmas at a push. The $3 price tag at launch is just to soak as much money as possible out of the Star Trek nerds (like me) that will buy any goddamn thing with an Enterprise on it. Once those morons are all accounted for it will drop to free forever. They're just maximising revenue.

It's literally the dumbest free-to-play thing I've ever played, though. Well, not as dumb as All The Bravest I guess.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

1st AD posted:

:confused: it's still there for me

Googled it, turns out that only applies to the iPad 2 and mini, because of retina asset on non-retina screen stuff. Whoops.

edit:

UncleSmoothie posted:

It's literally the dumbest free-to-play thing I've ever played, though. Well, not as dumb as All The Bravest I guess.
All The Bravest should be renamed Final Fantasy Soundtrack Player and Screen Cleaning Simulator.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2013

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
What are the must buy games in this avalanche of 99 cents sales if you only have a first gen iPad? I've been loving the poo poo out of Fiz, Ascension and Defender Chronicles II but want to load up while the getting is good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Walking Dead Season 2 is out. It's a separate app so I'm wondering how it imports decisions from Season 1.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

SeANMcBAY posted:

Walking Dead Season 2 is out. It's a separate app so I'm wondering how it imports decisions from Season 1.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/new-releases/tonight-republique-shadow-sun-walking-dead-season-2-colossatron/

According to this Republique is out tonight as well. I didn't back it, but it looks cool. I might have to buy it depending on its price.

Edit: Guess it's $5 for the first episode.

Edit 2: Baldur's Gate is on sale for $6.99. If you want a great and deep RPG experience, buy it.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 19, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
was really hoping BG2 EE made it out for the Xmas holiday. Blah.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Samara posted:

was really hoping BG2 EE made it out for the Xmas holiday. Blah.

I was too. When is the store freeze over? I'm hoping to be able to buy it and transfer my saves from the PC before I go on my trip.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can anyone give me an opinion to sway me in terms of Battle Academy vs Panzer Corps?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Just a warning for those who are looking to buy Republique:

It appears that headphones are mandatory for sound, unless I'm missing something. At least, they are for iPhone. I'm currently downloading for iPad so I'm not sure how that will go. I have no idea why headphones would be required, but I get no sound without them, tried restarting phone and still nothing.

The game itself seems really good though, very polished and a great premise that is pulled off really well so far. Looking forward to playing more.

Edit: Sound seems to work just fine without headphones for iPad. Anyone else managed to get sound working through the speaker for iPhone?

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not sure how playable it'll be on iPhone, but KOTOR is now Universal with proper widescreen support for iPhone and iPod Touch. They also claim to have improved the lighting and graphics with this patch, but I doubt it's anything spectacular.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
KOTOR is probably easily playable since you can just mash commands in the queue and pause combat at any time, the only thing that might suck is the annoying spaceship pew pew minigame.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Apocron posted:

Can anyone give me an opinion to sway me in terms of Battle Academy vs Panzer Corps?

Edit: I was rambling. Both are amazing, both should be bought, just choose the scale of conflict that appeals to you most. Do you want to send entirely army groups sweeping through countries? Panzer Corps. Do you want fight street to street with tanks and bayonets? Battle Academy.

Both 5 star games, both well worth $20.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 19, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sometimes Warhammer Quest is just complete bullshit.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Boozie posted:

Can someone suggest the closest thing to FFT on the iPad (other than FFT itself)?
Keep an eye on Playdek, they just teamed up with Yasumi Matsuno (of Tactics Ogre/FFT fame) to develop a brand new tactics IP called Unsung Story. http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/09/24/final-fantasy-tactics-designer-partners-with-playdek/

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

omg chael crash posted:

Sometimes Warhammer Quest is just complete bullshit.

What???? It's a fine and well-balanced wait I rolled a 1 so now I have to fight some extra orcs wait I rolled another 1 so now I'm fighting three cave troll and fifteen archers

Rule of thumb: if it's a Games Workshop game, then at some point random bullshit will gently caress you completely. The only thing you can do is throw your hands up and say "Wheee! At least it's not Talisman!"

Legend of Voltron
Jul 8, 2003

From days of long ago...
The more I play Tiny Death Star the more it descends into a laggy shitfest. I have just over 30 floors and the elevator stutters like crazy. In the beginning it was bearable.

This game is perfect and I want to play it so bad. It scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. Tiny Tower just isn't the same.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The new game from Halfbrick is out, Colossatron. $0.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuncOUMn_P8
http://colossatron.com/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 19, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What are the currently recommended free games, especially RPGs? I just got an iphone.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

What are the currently recommended free games, especially RPGs? I just got an iphone.

People are diggin' Brave Frontier (jrpg style). Dungeon Hunter 4 (hack n slash), Order & Chaos (WoW clone), and Puzzle & Dragons (like Puzzle Quest)

If you don't mind spending three bucks, Battleheart, The Bards Tale, and Knights of Pen & Paper are good titles.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Been playing a bit of Colossatron, I thought it would be like Nimble Quest but it's not, it's a match 3/zuma style game with some added wrinkles. It's still fun though.

Republique is pretty good and also looks great though I'm not far into it yet.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/republique/id687888390?mt=8

The new Ridge Racer Slipstream is pretty cool too so far.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ridge-racer-slipstream/id725879978?mt=8

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Apocron posted:

Actually, Battle Academy just dropped to half price. It hardly ever goes on sale, it'll never be lower than half price, so jump on that right now. It's great value even at $20, so for $10 it's a steal.

I see that tomorrow Battle of the Bulge and/or Drive on Moscow are going on sale too. (Probably just Bulge, but no details were given.)

Seriously though people, :tenbux: for Battle Academy. Early Xmas present to yourself.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

People are diggin' Brave Frontier (jrpg style). Dungeon Hunter 4 (hack n slash), Order & Chaos (WoW clone), and Puzzle & Dragons (like Puzzle Quest)

If you don't mind spending three bucks, Battleheart, The Bards Tale, and Knights of Pen & Paper are good titles.
Don't forget Orc Vengeance by Chillango, it's like Dungeon Hunter, minus the overbearing IAP.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

drunkill posted:

The new game from Halfbrick is out, Colossatron. $0.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuncOUMn_P8
http://colossatron.com/

Oh well, goodbye weekend!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Kotor is on sale for 4.99 if anyone was waiting to pick it up.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Okay, so how the hell do I STOP the IB3 cloud from loading saves?
The issue before was that I overwrote my hours and hours of progress with a new file when trying to figure out how to load from the cloud (since it was deciding to do it in its own sweet time) and now after a day of new progress it wiped it all out (with cloud saving turned off) to replace it with the same data that killed my good file.
Jesus christ, people, either do load or don't load but don't randomly decide which to do in such a way that I can't ever be sure if I'm going to lose hours of play or not.
Again, wouldn't mind if I could actually get onto the cloud again so I can at least replace the data that will inevitably kill the progress I make.

Would it have killed them to ask for confirmation before updating player progress?
I'm never going to see the new content at this rate.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

I would also recommend Marvel Puzzle Quest since you don't have to be a mega sperg or spend hundreds of dollars to get the best poo poo.

Swords and Glory is also another goon favorite. It's a viking roguelike that plays like a mix between a CYOA and punchout.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 19, 2013

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Holy smokes, does it ever look like a hot time on the marketplace.

First off, a (several pages late) "thank you" to those that tipped me off about interactive fiction/gamebook stuff.

Second, if it hasn't been mentioned, the Pandemic boardgame app recently received an add-on that includes some of the roles and event cards from the On the Brink expansion. Sadly, that's all there is to the update and you can't mix-and-match the old and new event cards.
Still cool, though, and I've been happy to run through a few games again.

Finally, it looks like Deus Ex: The Fall is also on sale now for $.99. Any thoughts on it?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Holy smokes, does it ever look like a hot time on the marketplace.

First off, a (several pages late) "thank you" to those that tipped me off about interactive fiction/gamebook stuff.

Second, if it hasn't been mentioned, the Pandemic boardgame app recently received an add-on that includes some of the roles and event cards from the On the Brink expansion. Sadly, that's all there is to the update and you can't mix-and-match the old and new event cards.
Still cool, though, and I've been happy to run through a few games again.

Finally, it looks like Deus Ex: The Fall is also on sale now for $.99. Any thoughts on it?

Deus ex blows but it's alright for that price. It looks nice (so long as you never look at the character models) but the controls are terrible and the content is just plain dull and just ends abruptly with no particular promise of continuation (not that you'll want much after this). It does have IAP money but the NG+ removes the need to pay for anything extra (also they throw bonus money at you if you don't play for a while).

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

djkillingspree posted:

The latest update actually helped this a lot. There were a lot of input issues that they resolved, I noticed a huge improvement immediately on installing it.

Huh, good to know. I gave up playing right away too and never downloaded the patch because I don't have any room. Well, time to delete some of those D&D 2nd edition PDFs I was never going to get around to reading anyway (I'm talking the Complete Book of ____, not Planscape, I'm not a moron.)

It seems like all the games I'm excited about for the iPad are stuff I've basically played already. I'm okay with the idea of playing Kotor for a third time, and was considering getting FFT a try again too since I don't think I ever beat the one with the new translation. Is it playable? I remember hearing stuff about slowdowns.

Also speaking of controls, how is that Elder Scrolls knock off? Again I couldn't handle the virtual joystick but I also heard the new one controls better. I'd love to play a non jRPG that doesn't handle like poo poo. (But speaking of jRPGs, I never played and heard good things about The World Ends with You. I'm pretty sick of anime poo poo... but is that worth playing anyway?)

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2013

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

1st AD posted:

KOTOR is probably easily playable since you can just mash commands in the queue and pause combat at any time, the only thing that might suck is the annoying spaceship pew pew minigame.

I just got to that point and found it impossible. When I didn't hit anything the screen went black and the app hung up on me, my autosave loaded from about fifteen minutes before so I have to steal the dang Ebon Hawk again now. I found it pretty much impossible to aim and shoot properly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FFT is great on the iPad. The slowdown was fixed a while ago. If you drag your finger along the menu instead of tap you will have a better time though.

I recommend it for all fans of strategic games. It is a masterpiece. Also some goony tips that aren't how to break the game.

The ai can very rarely revive its units.
The ai will target a unit if it thinks it can get the KO.
The ai can't see reaction abilities.
The ai will target the main hero more often because it know it wins if he dies.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Strategy game sales from Shenandoah and Slitherine:

Battle of the Bulge 50% off.
Drive on Moscow 30% off.
Battle Academy 50% off, (also the first 4 expansions are half price too).
Legion and Great Battles Medieval both 50% off.

Also Angry Birds Star Wars II is free at the moment.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Parkingtigers posted:

Also Angry Birds Star Wars II is free at the moment.

You should at least check this out because even though most people are tired of Angry Birds, it's still fun for at least an hour or two if you've never played it. The Star Wars II version (I just downloaded it) seems to have some of the movie music and its got some fancy effects as well. It looks like it's based on the prequels though :cry:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinity Blade III just had its first price drop ever so it's $2.99 now.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Jesus christ. IB3's servers just destroyed my progress a third time.
Well done making a system that replaces your save seemingly randomly without ever asking for confirmation/warning you that it might happen if situation x,y or z takes place.
I like the game but gently caress this poo poo.

(Would it loving kill them to put an option that says nice and clearly 'do not synch device unless I ask you to'?)

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Legend of Voltron posted:

The more I play Tiny Death Star the more it descends into a laggy shitfest. I have just over 30 floors and the elevator stutters like crazy. In the beginning it was bearable.

This game is perfect and I want to play it so bad. It scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. Tiny Tower just isn't the same.

It eventually got unplayable on my iPhone 4. At about 38 floors it would quickly devolve into constant lag. My work just upgraded my phone so I was forced to abandon the game as it isn't (to my knowledge) transferable. I think I'm okay with that!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't heard a single post of praise of tiny death star past the first week it came out. And yet you goons keep coming back to it. Stop torturing yourself and play better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shwqa posted:

I haven't heard a single post of praise of tiny death star past the first week it came out. And yet you goons keep coming back to it. Stop torturing yourself and play better games.

They just reverted their terrible change to unemployment/bitizen job farming! :shobon:

(which smart people who stayed on 1.0 never had to deal with. Smarter people deleted the app, though, heh)

If nothing else I think this proves that if Nimblebit is going to make TT2, they gotta start fresh with a new codebase.

In other Update News, both Kingdom Rush games just got an update. KRF added a new free hero. I think the update was rushed a little, since in the attack speed section of their bio it reads "TODO" instead of "FAST" or "SLOW" or "AVERAGE" :v:

I do wish there was a way to unlock heroes in KR without paying money for each individually. Ingame currency buys would be better, even if they were somewhat expensive in gems - the fact is, buying a (kickass) fire-breathing death dragon is five bucks, and does not provide enough actual marginal value to be worth five bucks on top of the game price and potentially on top of another hero purchase (like I have the wizard guy).

It's a really bad moneitzation strategy, in my opinion. You might get one hero and that's cool, they get their purchase price plus another $2-3 or whatever, but then every other hero is just pointless to get.

Maybe if they unlocked the ability to buy heroes with ingame currency only after you've paid for one with real money? I just can't see any rationally plausible reason to buy all of them and still feel like you aren't wasting money.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 19, 2013

• Locked thread