Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bongo Bill posted:

A number of things that would've had trouble with Whimsicott in generation 5 will now find it much less of a waste to splash Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, or Sludge Wave.

This is true, but it's still not that huge of a coverage type and they still don't see a lot of play. They're useful, I agree, but in practice I've seen maybe 5 non-poison pokes use a poison move for coverage and 3 of them were dragons. And even then they're typically on things you want to get Whimsicott away from anyway so I've actually U-turn out of them without knowing they HAD a poison move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Just got my second random shiny Pokemon. It's a Japanese Audino.

He's so adorable. :3:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I mean I guess if you are a boring person who only uses boring predictable pokemon your opponent might know exactly what moves you have, but even then there are enough viable sets for most pokemon that a surprise poison move would catch most people offguard. Poison as a whole became way more useful due to the fairy type introduction. Its not crazy to imagine more pokemon will be packing poison moves now, regardless of their type.

Poison still has trash coverage even with Fairy. Two of the more common fairies are even immune to it. The only things that should run poison moves are poison types, Haxorus and maybe Landorus-I, everything else has better options, even dragons.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I have been excited as hell for readily available Impostor Dittos since we found out Ditto's hidden ability in B/W and this is why. I love this. I love having people set up on me only for them to find out they set up on themselves. I LOVE IT. JJSG-WWWW-WWW3-PLSS

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
I finally did the showdown thing, although it is still a little choppy, oh well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172433

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

_Endgame_ posted:

I finally did the showdown thing, although it is still a little choppy, oh well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172433

Players on frost are -really- bad compared to regular showdown.

Case in point:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172461

Worst Mandibuzz User EU.

It could also be a connection issue and I think there's a goon ITT who plays as dude789 :v:. I was mostly amused at getting lagging tail knocked off.

vvv also haha well played

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 19, 2013

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Zoness posted:

Case in point:

Worst Mandibuzz User EU.

dude 78? He was my 2nd match funny enough. He dced after I did...nothing special?

Zoness and I show that even a stupid newbie can win sometimes when I am being really stupid.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172560

_Endgame_ fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 19, 2013

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I've been sitting here thinking that I really need something with Ice Beam for when Pokebank opens up and all the Landorus come pouring in, and I finally figured out who the fourth member for my Trick Room doubles team has to be.

So that's Reuniclus, Mega-Mawile, Conkeldurr, and Clawitzer. It even has a theme, sort of: "Slow-rear end Pokemon with dex entries that talk about how great they are at smashing poo poo." :haw: Making concrete counts shut up. Now I just need to figure out what to name them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

_Endgame_ posted:

dude 78? He was my 2nd match funny enough. He dced after I did...nothing special?

Zoness and I show that even a stupid newbie can win sometimes when I am being really stupid.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172560

I wish you and Zoness would fight on Pokebank OU so I could have some challenges.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I wish you and Zoness would fight on Pokebank OU so I could have some challenges.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the pokebank format right now. I kind of like the restrictions that are in place with non-bank for teambuilding.

I'll probably move over to bank once I try more sets or get tired of seeing talonflame literally everywhere. Also I can't resist wanting to use Lati@s for long.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the pokebank format right now. I kind of like the restrictions that are in place with non-bank for teambuilding.

I'll probably move over to bank once I try more sets or get tired of seeing talonflame literally everywhere. Also I can't resist wanting to use Lati@s for long.

Please hurry, I've 6-0'd three guys in a row and they were at 1300+ each. This is depressing. It's like I'm king of the idiots.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
I don't like Pokebank OU because legendaries are gd everywhere *coughLandorusTcough*.

Also, if you can guess who wins this match within the first 20 turns you win a prize! Okay maybe not but it even fooled me!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-172590

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like Pokebank but not OU, so once they do tiers I'mma ride that sweet RU train to 2000+.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I must be one of the only guys who plays exclusively ingame. I just can't enjoy simulators since I derive a weird satisfaction out of breeding my guys and then using them online. If I just punch in some numbers to make them it just doesn't feel...rewarding.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I like Pokebank but not OU, so once they do tiers I'mma ride that sweet RU train to 2000+.

UU or bust! Can't wait to see what pokemon I like gets dropped into the Fun Tier from OU.

Hera got dumped in Gen 5, maybe...maybe Donphan will finally be free of his curse. His original Sin.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Note that if you're gonna be doing this on Showdown, Sand Veil and Snow Cloak are both banned.

If it's in-game, though, go hog wild.

This was a lot of pages ago but, sand veil and snow cloak have both been unbanned on Showdown now that weather can no longer be permanent.

I found out the hard way.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 19, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Internet Kraken posted:

I must be one of the only guys who plays exclusively ingame. I just can't enjoy simulators since I derive a weird satisfaction out of breeding my guys and then using them online. If I just punch in some numbers to make them it just doesn't feel...rewarding.

Yes, you are literally, literally in the minority of people who only play the game - which sells millions of copies - instead of the several thousands who use the sims.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Countblanc posted:

Yes, you are literally, literally in the minority of people who only play the game - which sells millions of copies - instead of the several thousands who use the sims.

What is with everyone ignoring context today? Obviously I was talking about in relation to other goons who talk about competitive frequently.

EDIT: I mean I guess you could read it the other way but I'd think it would be obvious I don't think more people play simulators than the actual game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 19, 2013

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel the same way. I do see the benefit of testing out a team on the simulator before you spend your time breeding them in-game, but I don't mind going through that trial-and-error aspect. It's part of what I enjoy about the game.

Maybe I'll get into Showdown eventually, but for now I just enjoy the Battle Spot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, looks like if you download Pokebank, you get a Celebi.

Seems it's automatically put in your box, so there will be no resetting for nature or IVs.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

So, looks like if you download Pokebank, you get a Celebi.

Seems it's automatically put in your box, so there will be no resetting for nature or IVs.

So when will we be able to buy or sign up for Pokemon bank? I recall seeing somewhere that you get a free month of usage if you get it early enough. I realize that it will release later this month, just don't want to miss out on any promotional stuff.

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree completely. Im sure simulators are lots of fun too and obviously there's the advantages of convenience but I just gotta see my mons duke it out in glorious 3D with the attack animations and everything :shobon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Looks like you'll be able to get the Celebi until September of this coming year, so we've got a while.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

BattleCake posted:

So when will we be able to buy or sign up for Pokemon bank? I recall seeing somewhere that you get a free month of usage if you get it early enough. I realize that it will release later this month, just don't want to miss out on any promotional stuff.

It goes live on the 27th of this month, and is free until January 31st, Celebi is available until the end of September 2014.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I always find it sully that people say poke bank is going to suck because all of the legendary pokemon coming over when most of the megas and 600bst dragons are better than a lot of thenm(like, a majority even)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Zoness posted:

Case in point:

Worst Mandibuzz User EU.

It could also be a connection issue and I think there's a goon ITT who plays as dude789 :v:. I was mostly amused at getting lagging tail knocked off.

vvv also haha well played

Yeah, I tried to play a couple matches, but was having connections issues. That's someone else though. I don't run Knock Off on any of my teams yet.

Edit: I was playing on Pokebank on Frost and most of the people I played were really good. One guy absolutely clowned my Duel Screens Memento set up team, and another was a Mono Normal team that took my Stored Power Clefable team to the wire. I had another close match that came down to a 50/50 prediction with my Choice Scarf Jynx (who is really fun in OU by the way. What's that Gengar you want to outspeed and OHKO with Shadow Ball? NOPE.) I think a lot of it has to do with time. I find that the opponent quality for me is best either in the morning or late at night.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 19, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

In this week's Pokemon, there was a preview of episodes to come in 2014. The important part starts at 25 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYK9Kqmlujw

I don't remember regal capes in the game's Battle Chateau. Then again, the game didn't have the Blaziken equivalent of Batman.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What's so important of that? That Mega Evolution will be a plot or something? That he'll visit the Battle Chateau for an episode or two?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm just about 4 hours into my first Pokemon experience ever. I'm playing SoulSilver on the DS (since I dont have a 3DS). Pokemon is one of those things I always overlooked for whatever reason, but it finally got to me since people have been so excited about all of them for so long now. I decided to give it a shot.

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm playing SoulSilver, and I'm enjoying it. I am still unclear on what the differences are between the games that are seemingly released at the same time (SoulSilver and HeartGold, or currently, X and Y for example). Are they different games? Are they the same game with slight changes? Are people playing them both, or just one? I guess my question is, if I finish SoulSilver and move to HeartGold, is it the same game with slight changes, or is it a whole new experience, or what?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm just about 4 hours into my first Pokemon experience ever. I'm playing SoulSilver on the DS (since I dont have a 3DS). Pokemon is one of those things I always overlooked for whatever reason, but it finally got to me since people have been so excited about all of them for so long now. I decided to give it a shot.

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm playing SoulSilver, and I'm enjoying it. I am still unclear on what the differences are between the games that are seemingly released at the same time (SoulSilver and HeartGold, or currently, X and Y for example). Are they different games? Are they the same game with slight changes? Are people playing them both, or just one? I guess my question is, if I finish SoulSilver and move to HeartGold, is it the same game with slight changes, or is it a whole new experience, or what?

It's basically the same game; the main difference is there are some Pokemon that are available in one version and not the other, so the idea is you're supposed to trade with someone who has the other version if you want to catch 'em all.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess my question is, if I finish SoulSilver and move to HeartGold, is it the same game with slight changes, or is it a whole new experience, or what?

Just move to the next set of games/next generation. You'd be better off going to Platinum, Black/White 1/2, or X/Y after you finish SoulSilver.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The two games released together are always the same game with very minor differences, including a handful of exclusive Pokémon, as well as the story changing very slightly to incorporate that game's exclusive legendary that's on the cover of the box. Other than that, the paired games take place in the same region, you fight the same trainers in the same order, etc. If you want another DS Pokémon game to play after Soul Silver I would recommend Black 2 or White 2. They take place in a completely different region, whereas Heart Gold will be a complete re-tread for you.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The differences between a pair of games are fairly small (Gen 5 games, Black/White and Black 2/White 2 have a few more differences than usual) and usually boil down to a handful of Pokemon that can be caught there that can't be caught in the other.

If you still enjoy Pokemon and want more, I'd highly recommend just jumping for a 3DS and getting X or Y. The latest games are the ones most people are playing so you'll be able to find battles and trades easier, you'll be able to attend or download events (depending on if its Wi-Fi or in-store distribution) and all that jazz. Lots of places are having 3DS XL sales for $150 for the Christmas shopping season (normal price $200). The standard 3DS retails at $150 regularly and the 2DS (3DS without the 3D) retails at $130 but some stores have been selling it for as low as $99. And there's a bunch of great games for the 3DS available and more being released next year, including Smash Bros.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Level Slide posted:

In this week's Pokemon, there was a preview of episodes to come in 2014. The important part starts at 25 seconds.

I fail to see anything important.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gen V was weird in general. We only had two paired games, no remakes, and no ultimate 3rd version like in the past, with Gamefreak instead opting for a sequel. BW2 is worth while if you need a stepping stone to XY, as many mechanics start appearing there.

If you get into the story, it may be worth the time to play Platinum as well. They keep bringing back a couple characters from that game in the newer ones. The post game of BW2 brings back pretty much every gym leader and champion from the older games and a guy in the PWT lobby can help you catch up on who the characters are. It's only a couple lines of text, but that's all we ever got in the old days.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't HG/SS give you a second opportunity to RNG a Creation Trio member in the Sinjoh Ruins (if you have an Arceus)?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Zoness posted:

Doesn't HG/SS give you a second opportunity to RNG a Creation Trio member in the Sinjoh Ruins (if you have an Arceus)?

Yep. You can actually do it twice if you use an Event Arceus and hack a Ticket Arceus from D/P/Plat as well.

You can also obtain Gen 4 cover legends (IE Dialga Palkia Giratina Ho-Oh Lugia) from PokeRadar when you have the respective games in the slot.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I fail to see anything important.

I was just very enthralled by those capes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yep. You can actually do it twice if you use an Event Arceus and hack a Ticket Arceus from D/P/Plat as well.

You can also obtain Gen 4 cover legends (IE Dialga Palkia Giratina Ho-Oh Lugia) from PokeRadar when you have the respective games in the slot.

With Dream World Abilities too. Regenerator Ho-Oh and Multiscale Lugia :swoon:

I've heard PRNG for dream radar is a lot trickier though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hell if I know. I've never tried to RNG in any game but I've heard HGSS is annoying due to phone calls and I can only imagine RNGing on a PokeWalker or PokeRadar is a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hell if I know. I've never tried to RNG in any game but I've heard HGSS is annoying due to phone calls and I can only imagine RNGing on a PokeWalker or PokeRadar is a huge pain in the rear end.

Dream Radar RNG is tricky since the timing of stuff being dumped in your box is when you hit the unova link option or something.

Also I'm playing through White 2 at the moment to gather up N's pokemon while waiting for pokebank to open up and goddamn Hugh seems like the worst character they've ever designed.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 19, 2013

• Locked thread