Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

blackswordca posted:

There are backups.. in another city.. on a shared 3mbit connection..

If you need better backup space for those emails I can provide you with an FTP account on a machine in my company's datacenter, where it'll get backed up further to a second RAID device.

e: This is why you don't read the ticket thread while also working on four tickets. Hooray, only support on duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

Thanatosian posted:

Another vote for Dell. I find that they have less (and less difficult to remove) bloatware than Lenovo, too. I've also had bad experiences with Lenovo's customer service, and none with Dell's; then again, maybe it says something that we have 22 Dell computers and 2 Lenovos, and the Lenovos are the ones I've had to call customer service about.

Also, what's with all the history majors? Where are the rest of the Political Science majors? :-(

Political Science major checking in here. Political science was more fun than my college's outdated Business Informations Systems class track.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Baby Town Frolics posted:

Political Science major checking in here. Political science was more fun than my college's outdated Business Informations Systems class track.

I actually wanted to get involved in an NGO or something like that, until I started going on interviews where they told me in a straight face that the salary was $27k, or $30k. Even in 2004 dollars that was a laughingstock.

Yeeeeeeeah no.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Backups? We have a single server no a UPS in a closet with a single 1TB Raid 5 Array with Git.

If the server tips over and explodes? Building catches fire? Earthquake? Flood? (We are in a flood zone).

No more 1,000,000$+ worth of code for us! :v:

But hey! At least we have git and Raid now! That's better than last year!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Backups? We have a single server no a UPS in a closet with a single 1TB Raid 5 Array with Git.

If the server tips over and explodes? Building catches fire? Earthquake? Flood? (We are in a flood zone).

No more 1,000,000$+ worth of code for us! :v:

But hey! At least we have git and Raid now! That's better than last year!

The best part about git is that you can recreate your entire repository even if the server goes boom really easily. It's decentralized by default. Tracking origin/somebranch? You can push that to any git repo you want. Including a bare one. There's no disaster case there unless you have critical branches nobody is tracking on their laptops for some reason.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

At last, somebody else who understands my witty references to Cardinal Richelieu!

Oh please. When I was a little girl, Dogtanian was essential after-school TV :)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

The best part about git is that you can recreate your entire repository even if the server goes boom really easily. It's decentralized by default. Tracking origin/somebranch? You can push that to any git repo you want. Including a bare one. There's no disaster case there unless you have critical branches nobody is tracking on their laptops for some reason.

brb setting up everyone's workstations to use git to back up all my databases

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

Oh please. When I was a little girl, Dogtanian was essential after-school TV :)

That's the show about the red mage, right?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
Hey, for you guys who got a demo unit for the Clickshare system, did you contact Barco or one of the distributors to get that?

I just :yotj: and one of my first projects is redesigning a conference room.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CapMoron posted:

Hey, for you guys who got a demo unit for the Clickshare system, did you contact Barco or one of the distributors to get that?

I got mine through our distributor.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Me: "What email program are you using?"
Customer: "Microwave Outlook"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Splashy Gravy posted:

Me: "What email program are you using?"
Customer: "Microwave Outlook"

At least you can work out what they are using from that, often the answer I get is "um, Windows"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have the opposite problem. I get tickets just saying Microsoft isn't working, and they don't always refer to Windows, Office, or IE.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Varkk posted:

At least you can work out what they are using from that, often the answer I get is "um, Windows"

This happened today:
:supaburn: I'm getting a pop-up error message!!
;-*: What program are you seeing that message in?
:supaburn: On my computer!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CapMoron posted:

I started at the Barco website and got routed to a distributor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

This happened today:
:supaburn: I'm getting a pop-up error message!!
;-*: What program are you seeing that message in?
:supaburn: On my computer!!

To be fair, it might have been a dialog from the OS. I mean, I know it wasn't, but you might want to lead with "what does it say".

Who am I kidding, they're going to respond with "it says something I don't understand" like "disk full".

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That's the show about the red mage, right?

Everyone knows it was superior to use a black and white mage. Red mages looked super classy though.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a bunch of emails came in,

An email thread sent to all the tier 1's started about half an hour ago and its getting kind of interesting.

quote:

Email 1: Hey all, Someone gave full access to all users to the HR folder for <client> In the future can you confirm with a T2 or an account manager before granting blanket access? Thanks!

Email 2: This isn't the first time Ive seen this, so we have someone here who is completely incompetent, what the hell?

Email 3: While I didn't make the changes to <clients> folders, I can say who the gently caress do you think you are to judge your colleagues. If there is a problem, go up the chain to a senior tech or coach the specific tech. Ive had enough of this passive aggressive bullshit.

Its so nice not to be involved in drama like this.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

blackswordca posted:

An email thread sent to all the tier 1's started about half an hour ago and its getting kind of interesting.

Even better now that all I can see in my mind is the owner laughing in his office as yet more fraudulent billable hours roll in.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Someone doesn't really get what passive aggressive means.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Actual quotes, or paraphrased?

'cause I'd love for it to be actual... :munch:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How does unemployment work in Canada? Can you get paid if you voluntarily quit due to ethical concerns?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Actual quotes, or paraphrased?

'cause I'd love for it to be actual... :munch:

First two emails are pretty much direct quotes.. the third one was a giant wall of text so I pulled the highlights.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How does unemployment work in Canada? Can you get paid if you voluntarily quit due to ethical concerns?

That is something you need to speak to a lawyer about.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I've worked with HP, Dell and Lenovo.

As far as I can tell they are pretty much the same as far as warranty and support goes. Sometimes you get a bad experience but most of the time it's good. Really what you're looking for is warranty coverage. Any of those three is good. Get a 5 year warranty if you can, phrase it along the lines of "You aren't paying for a computer, you're paying for a computer that is guaranteed to work for 5 years."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

blackswordca posted:

"blackswordca why did you allow this to happen?"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

"blackswordca why did you allow this to happen?"

and one of them was fired. Apparently they 'Decided to move on from my company"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

and one of them was fired. Apparently they 'Decided to move on from my company"

I assume it was the one who first floated the issue?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume it was the one who first floated the issue?

no, the guy who called people incompetent.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Did I miss history major chat? BA in History with a minor in Latin here. I never even expected to be able to use it.

Our Exchange was down half the day today. We're half-way through the 2003-2010 migration so I figured it was related to that, but apparently the real reason was multiple people trying to send several megabyte Christmas cards to every single address in our agency (which is like 6000 addresses), then other people reply-alling to those cards with their own cards.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

no, the guy who called people incompetent.

I was praying it was you, tbh. That would be a hilarious end to this saga. "Fired for watching a hilarious ticket go down in an unrelated fashion".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Soooo Forefront TMG is dying by 2015.

Would any of you technowizards happen to know of a viable alternative that's compatible with Server 2012 R2?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Crowley posted:

Would any of you technowizards happen to know of a viable alternative that's compatible with Server 2012 R2?

all my vendors are recommending UTM appliances.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I interviewed three year long placement students and neither of the ones studying comp sci degrees got offers, only the guy studying maths, we figure we need functioning people rather than just random coders.

Also someone else interviewing them asked " how do you rate yourself on Unix out of 10?" And got an answer of "7" which is pretty loving ballsy. When asked "how do you delete a file then?" they said "er, press delete?" I think they'd only been using ubuntu or something :suicide:

I said "I know nothing about Unix but you -rm -rf and rely on permissioning to ensure that you don't delete anything important right?" :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I interviewed three year long placement students and neither of the ones studying comp sci degrees got offers, only the guy studying maths, we figure we need functioning people rather than just random coders.

Also someone else interviewing them asked " how do you rate yourself on Unix out of 10?" And got an answer of "7" which is pretty loving ballsy. When asked "how do you delete a file then?" they said "er, press delete?" I think they'd only been using ubuntu or something :suicide:

I said "I know nothing about Unix but you -rm -rf and rely on permissioning to ensure that you don't delete anything important right?" :v:

rm for single files.
rm -r for folders sir. :colbert:
rm -rf will force, which is fine if you aren't suid 0, and you don't want the system bothering you about write protected files; but you generally shouldn't use the f option.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ratbert90 posted:

rm for single files.
rm -r for folders sir. :colbert:
rm -rf will force, which is fine if you aren't suid 0, and you don't want the system bothering you about write protected files; but you generally shouldn't use the f option.

Well, in my defence I was just winding my colleague up :v: I'll stick to pedantically correcting the grammar of their covering letters which is my main specialty.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I am doing knowledge transfer as I wind down and prepare for a new job. I discovered that the person I am transferring knowledge to does not understand what the | character does in linux.

It is a combination between :smithicide: and just not caring anymore.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well, in my defence I was just winding my colleague up :v: I'll stick to pedantically correcting the grammar of their covering letters which is my main specialty.

Ah, the true goon, critiquing people in the most puerile way possible for the subjunctive mood and proper homophone usage which are so crucial to writing Java.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Volmarias posted:

I am doing knowledge transfer as I wind down and prepare for a new job. I discovered that the person I am transferring knowledge to does not understand what the | character does in linux.

It is a combination between :smithicide: and just not caring anymore.

Better prepare a few quote templates/ballpark figures for when your company inevitably gives you a call then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hah hah hah! Whoops!

On Tuesday an email comes in from a PM:

:) Hey Agrikk, can you check to see of there are any backups for server1 and server2?

:gonk: Uh, I received a tag to decommission those servers two months ago. Remember?

:) Oh, but remember that I sent you that email telling you to stop all work because there was an unknown and undocumented dependency that was identified after you started the work?

:gonk: Yeah, I do and I did, but I couldn't undo the work that I'd all ready done. So if the server is gone, it's gone.

:) Oh, okay.

This morning an email comes in from my bosses boss to the PM, CC-ing me:

:D Hey PM, I need more information about the server1 and server2 decommission. These servers were still in use and I've received an escalation. Agrikk, do the LUNs on server1 and server2 still exist?

:gonk:I can check to see of the storage guys haven't destroyed them yet, but these two servers HAVE been decommissioned per <work order number> that I was working on two months ago, so I can't promise anything.

:D Okay. PM, Please contact me on Monday so we can discuss this.

Someone is in deep poo poo on Monday. But I have all of the emails pertaining to that work order, so it ain't going to be me.

edit to chime in on the degree chat:

Baby Town Frolics posted:

Yeah. BS in Information Systems checking in with his MBA. Business Information Systems was a freaking joke, but the BS degree has certainly paid off. I graduated with my MBA a year ago and was fired from my company at the same time. Newcompany promptly hired me for a 27% pay bump, though the company itself is a shitshow.

Ask me in five years after I've paid of my MBA student loans if it was worth it...

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 20, 2013

• Locked thread