Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

A full frame X100 successor was heavily rumored though, right? Gotta be honest, I'd be all over something like that. Sony's RX1R is currently uncontested in this area, I'm sure Fuji could make a competing model that's more pleasing to use. That might just make me ditch my GR. Unless Ricoh make a pocketable FF successor to the GR...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am pretty happy with the Fuji X-E1. I can see myself using it until it breaks. The only criticism I have is that it is not weather sealed so I can keep it longer. Not that it has been an issue with any other camera I have had.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I feel like a Fuji FF would be the king of IQ so I would really love to see that exist. On the other hand, Fuji seems to be providing exactly the type of gear the enthusiast-but-can't-afford-a-Leica crowd has wished for so if a FF Fuji body not existing means that Fuji keeps nurturing that market then that's ok by me. By not branching into FF Fuji is avoiding segmenting their lens lineup the way that Canikon have, which seems to be allowing them to make really great crop lenses at good prices, something that Canikon have not or cannot do.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just hope they refresh the X-Pro 1 with weather sealing :(

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It will take me 2 years to save up 2k toy money to buy the FF x100 anyway. I am fine with Fuji releasing it in 2015. BELIEVE!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Speaking of full frames and Fujifilm... I'm finally getting to shoot regularly with my a7. I never even unpacked the kit lens, it looks like people are buying them for $500 so I can make a little back. I got the 35/2.8 and it's amazing. Sure, I wish it was a stop or two faster but otherwise I have no complaints. I'm finding the focus to be snappy and accurate. I have been using some manual glass on it now that I have adapters. I'm not surprised by what LensRentals.com is reporting.

One other thing I'm impressed with is the colors in the raw files. The blues are the best I've had in any digital camera so far. I've only needed to tweak the exposure a bit when I use manual glass, possibly because I use ND filters to fight the Florida sun. Some random shots of greenery today brought me back to the last time I shot Velvia on a medium format camera.

Raw file converted to jpeg and brightened a bit to counteract what Flickr does. (OM 50/3.5 Zuiko MC Auto Macro lens)

So far, no buyers remorse.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

daspope posted:

I am pretty happy with the Fuji X-E1. I can see myself using it until it breaks. The only criticism I have is that it is not weather sealed so I can keep it longer. Not that it has been an issue with any other camera I have had.

Ive been out in pretty crappy weather. Mist, rain, very dense heavy fog that is almost like rain, and heavy rain. My XE1 is sealed pretty drat good for not having any sealing. Dont worry so much about weather. Use your judgement, get gear insurance via your renters/homeowners and go take some loving pictures. This is a tool, not a newborn.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have only been photodad'ing but I really like the 25mm ƒ/1.4 c-mount lens on the nikon 1. The dof effect is nice. Also, ƒ/1.4 makes the 400 fps stuff usable indoors @ ISO1600 which is a neat trick but not really a selling point.

However, there is a laundry list of things that must be overlooked:
  • no metering, no auto-iso, no autofocus
  • the loving thing doesn't even display a histogram in live view
  • no focus aids at all, the ability to press 'ok' to get a 100% crop of the center of the screen that is present w/ the FT1 does not work w/ the c-mount adapter
  • the 25mm ƒ/1.4 lens I bought gets really bad light leak (at least I think it's light leak?) until it is stopped down to about ƒ/2.0
  • the lens has some heavy distortion toward the edges, especially in OOF areas

This duder has a blogpost about how he is thinking of using the nikon 1 + c-mount glass to make a low budget thriller and it is an idea that totally makes sense to me. http://www.eoshd.com/content/6997/playing-with-hitchcock-and-the-nikon-j1-with-16mm-c-mount-lenses

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Fuji 10-24 formally announced... keeping in line with previous lenses that are priced somewhat high, with a retail of $1000:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5471&news=fuji+10-24mm+f/4+lens

More exciting to me are the new grips. Aluminum and allows battery/sd card access without removing the tripod mount (finally):
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131218_01.html

edit: well, I kind of take that back about the lens price. The Canon 17-40L retails for $850, and the Fuji has OIS and probably has nicer optics. It's still hard to pony up that kind of cash for something that isn't at least f2.8.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 19, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Helicity posted:

edit: well, I kind of take that back about the lens price. The Canon 17-40L retails for $850, and the Fuji has OIS and probably has nicer optics. It's still hard to pony up that kind of cash for something that isn't at least f2.8.
Depends on how well corrected it is. I'll probably buy it either way, but I'll feel better about my purchase if it keeps distortion to a minimum along with nice sharpness wide open.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Bob Socko posted:

Depends on how well corrected it is. I'll probably buy it either way, but I'll feel better about my purchase if it keeps distortion to a minimum along with nice sharpness wide open.

It'll be interesting to see if the lens will be a bit better performing because of its small flange distance. I'm glad Fuji is so committed to having a great lens range though, and that they decided not to go full frame. I'm guessing they want people to be satisfied with their cameras and instead buy more lenses, not bodies. Their OMD E-1 look alike should be neat.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Re: Fuji full frame chat.

I can see the X100-line of cameras going full frame at some point. I think one of the earlier rumors stated that it could potentially have the new sensor that's in the Sony A7 but really I can't see Fuji ditching Xtrans sensor in one their flagship cameras at this point. It would be crazy if Fuji isn't doing some kind of product development for some kind of FF Xtrans sensor camera though.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Re: Fuji in general --

I just installed the new firmware, and I want to double-check the Auto ISO works as I understand it to. Say I set the minimum ISO to 200, the max to 3200, and the minimum shutter speed to 1/160. So the camera starts by checking if ISO200 at any shutter speed down to 160 will expose correctly. If not, it will bump the ISO to 250 (or whatever) until it does. However, if it reaches 3200 without a correct exposure, it will then start lowering the shutter speed as a last resort. Is this right, assuming aperture priority?

Also, as far as full-frame goes, they've said they don't want to build full-frame as it would require creating new lenses, and that would hurt their X-series lineup. I think that's more evidence toward a fixed-lens FF down the line, ala Sony's RX1. Their reasoning is too specific to rule out a non-interchangeable FF setup.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Dirigible posted:

Also, as far as full-frame goes, they've said they don't want to build full-frame as it would require creating new lenses, and that would hurt their X-series lineup. I think that's more evidence toward a fixed-lens FF down the line, ala Sony's RX1. Their reasoning is too specific to rule out a non-interchangeable FF setup.

They quickly backtracked on the "X-line wouldn't work with full frame" comment, though?

Edit: I see the new interview, so they've re-backtracked to the original comment.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 19, 2013

dodob
May 20, 2004
Anyone using half-cases on their mirrorless? Why is it that leather cases/half-cases seem to be a thing for mirrorless cameras? Is it because of their smaller size, or is it because of the retro factor? I've never seen a DSLR with a half-case before.

Sony has a whole line-up of full-cases and half-cases for their NEX cameras. I just received my leather full-case for the A7 (I only use the bottom half-case; wish it were available without the top case), and it improves the grip tremendously. My pinky has somewhere to rest, my entire palm is supporting the camera -- I cannot overstate how much better the camera feels in the hand with the case. However, the half-case blocks the memory card slot and the battery slot, as well as the USB port. Screwing and unscrewing the tripod mount every time I come home and want to get a picture is nuts. Wi-fi transfer helps, but not being able to charge the phone without disassembling the setup seems like an oversight.

I believe Gariz is coming out with a A7/A7R half-case, but I hated the slick shiny leather on my friend's EM-5 Gariz case. That, and the bottom being of a really heavy metal piece with an uncomfortably sharp edge digging into my pinky.

The reason I wanted the half-case (grip aside) is because last year I chaffed the bottom of my RX1, which is soft plastic, not long after I got one. Sure it's no big deal after the babying period, but I threw my D50 around and it never got as much as a scratch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dodob posted:

Anyone using half-cases on their mirrorless? Why is it that leather cases/half-cases seem to be a thing for mirrorless cameras? Is it because of their smaller size, or is it because of the retro factor? I've never seen a DSLR with a half-case before.
Size, looks, and small DSLRs have such low clearance between lens and grip that a half case bottom would make them impractical.

dodob posted:

Sony has a whole line-up of full-cases and half-cases for their NEX cameras. I just received my leather full-case for the A7 (I only use the bottom half-case; wish it were available without the top case), and it improves the grip tremendously. My pinky has somewhere to rest, my entire palm is supporting the camera -- I cannot overstate how much better the camera feels in the hand with the case. However, the half-case blocks the memory card slot and the battery slot, as well as the USB port. Screwing and unscrewing the tripod mount every time I come home and want to get a picture is nuts. Wi-fi transfer helps, but not being able to charge the phone without disassembling the setup seems like an oversight.
Making the cases modular is a big tradeoff in size and weight, so you end with retardation like this. Same with buying a microscopic mirrorless body and adding grips so it's actually comfortable to shoot with.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think it's mostly because DSLR's are weird lumpy shapes and also tend to have clear grips built into them, while basically every mirrorless is some form of a small rectangle. I was interested in getting a half-case for my F3, but I had trouble finding places online that still carry them, and the 3N changed the shape enough that they case won't work.

dodob
May 20, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

[...]

I'm fine with Fuji focusing on their current sensor size and lenses. Sony is taking the envelope-pushing approach, and they will be facing some major issues:

1) Large NEX following feeling abandoned. Especially with Sony lumping NEX with Alpha, hinting at an all Alpha line-up going forward.

2) Lenses of the same mount getting mixed together, like Canon's and Nikon's have been for so long between APS-C and full-frame lenses. Remember when NEX was a fresh new beginning to get AWAY from these sort of problems?

3) Full-frame lenses are just too big. You can shrink the body all you want, but lenses stay the same size. Look at the upcoming 24-70 f/4 E-mount. Any faster and you might as well just go 24-70 f/2.8 A-mount with an adapter. Sony's own words. So in the spirit of portability, lenses have to be made slower.

Sony is a huge company, so they can take the possible marketshare hit that is restructuring their entire camera line-up.

Fuji is playing it safer, and possibly waiting for a sensor technology breakthrough that will allow lenses to be smaller, before tearing down the following they've built so far. Do I sound bitter about what Sony has done with the NEX? Because I am.

dodob fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 19, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Full frame is a nice thing, but honestly when I see the photos coming out of the Xpro1 and XE1 and such, I really stop caring whether it's 1.5x or 1.3x or FF. They just look so pretty :)

dodob
May 20, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Size, looks, and small DSLRs have such low clearance between lens and grip that a half case bottom would make them impractical.

Making the cases modular is a big tradeoff in size and weight, so you end with retardation like this. Same with buying a microscopic mirrorless body and adding grips so it's actually comfortable to shoot with.

In my defense, I bought the case to protect the bottom of the camera, without being aware how much better the extra half an inch added by the case made in the overall handling of the camera. It almost seemed as if it the camera was designed with the case in mind.

I might return the case and gaff tape the bottom.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Picked up the Canon EF 40mm pancake for 129 from adorama.

I keep buying cheap Canon parts to boil on the EOSM even though I want to get rid of it. Sooner or later I will have a whole system. Sigh.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Has anyone seen pricing for these new Fuji grips? I have cash burning a hole in my pocket and a new grip would go well with a 35mm :clint:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I keep buying cheap Canon parts to boil on the EOSM even though I want to get rid of it. Sooner or later I will have a whole system. Sigh.
in 3 years I'm sure they'll have good AF :laugh:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

in 3 years I'm sure they'll have good AF :laugh:

I may keep it around and pick up a Canon mount Tokina 11-16mm later. Since the Fuji 10-24mm is so big and expensive I don't see myself getting it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baron Dirigible posted:

Re: Fuji in general --

I just installed the new firmware, and I want to double-check the Auto ISO works as I understand it to. Say I set the minimum ISO to 200, the max to 3200, and the minimum shutter speed to 1/160. So the camera starts by checking if ISO200 at any shutter speed down to 160 will expose correctly. If not, it will bump the ISO to 250 (or whatever) until it does. However, if it reaches 3200 without a correct exposure, it will then start lowering the shutter speed as a last resort. Is this right, assuming aperture priority?

If you set auto everything with ISO and shutter limiters, it may behave on a lens to lens basis.

With the new firmware the 55-200 seem to focus faster on the easy targets and hunt just as much on the hard to focus targets.

The new firmware (XE1) put the highest ISO/lowest ISO/slowest shutter into a sub menu. I wish the quick button(s) can get to it directly. I think I will have to use the custom setting a lot more now that the automatic functions are more powerful. I really wish there is a way to rename the custom settings.

You hear me Fuji!? I want rename custom settings and change color on MF peaking!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I may keep it around and pick up a Canon mount Tokina 11-16mm later. Since the Fuji 10-24mm is so big and expensive I don't see myself getting it.
LBR for the $300 or so it costs now it's a loving amazing camera.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

dodob posted:

3) Full-frame lenses are just too big. You can shrink the body all you want, but lenses stay the same size. Look at the upcoming 24-70 f/4 E-mount. Any faster and you might as well just go 24-70 f/2.8 A-mount with an adapter. Sony's own words. So in the spirit of portability, lenses have to be made slower.

Honestly this is pure bullshit at this point. Not directed at you, directed at Sony and every other manufacturer.

In the 70's, when the mainstream (your mother) actually bought lenses for their SLRs, the market spoke and said "we want smaller cameras". The money was flowing and the R&D dollars were spent, and companies like Pentax and Olympus developed near pocket-able SLR/lens systems that sold like crazy.

Then came the 80's when the attitudes shifted to technology and ease of use. Zooms and point-and shoots meant family users bought less lenses, or skipped SLRs altogether. The bulky SLR was forgiven, as it was no longer a necessity, it was a tool for ~serious users~.

Now it's time for R&D to shift again. The technology exists to make these lenses smaller. We know this for a fact because they used to be goddamned minuscule. However it's expensive to further miniaturize AF motors. It's expensive to use better glass and develop new designs then just tinker with your coatings and add more elements and keep everything telenormal. Then you get into the problem of Digital Is Not Film. It doesn't play nicely with short flange distances, needs different coatings etc etc. My point is that most of these issues can be overcome if it were made a priority. The challenge is (I believe) that the interchangeable lens camera market is shrinking in general, along with the margins etc.

It's kind of infuriating because when I see lenses like the 24-70F4 for NEX, it's so blatantly obvious that at this point it's about saving as much as you can on lens design, protecting your margins, etc etc. People cite the laws of physics as a reason we can't shrink lenses. gently caress that, look at every film p&s, look at rangefinder lenses.

Industry could have started work on this nearly two decades ago. Standard digital sensor size is (arguably) APS-C, yet CaNikon and friends were basically unwilling to design and release lenses that played to the strengths of a smaller imaging circle. The reasoning was pretty simple: the R&D and tooling on these old film lens designs has already been paid for many times over. Finally Olympus and Fuji come along and show that they "get it". It's about the lenses stupid!

Anyways poo poo's got me heated, and I should probably get back to work.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Baron Dirigible posted:

I don't have a Fuji, but that's exactly how Auto-ISO works on my cameras.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

It's kind of infuriating because when I see lenses like the 24-70F4 for NEX, it's so blatantly obvious that at this point it's about saving as much as you can on lens design, protecting your margins, etc etc. People cite the laws of physics as a reason we can't shrink lenses. gently caress that, look at every film p&s, look at rangefinder lenses.

This is pretty much exactly right.

Someone posted in one of the other threads that they had a Canon 40D and jumped to the NEX because it was totally clear that Canon didn't give a poo poo about actually building the best camera they could, only making a slight (cheap) refresh and incrementing the model number by one. That exactly describes me as well - I had a 40D and sold it for a 5N for those exact reasons. Canon hadn't really offered anything compelling and their sensor tech was falling way behind. And their lens selection was really pitiful, in the five years I owned the system the only interesting lenses to be released were the 40mm pancake (which is still too long especially on Canon's lame 1.6x crop factor) and third party lenses, and I can get the third-party lenses on whatever system. In particular the lack of a 35/1.8 DX equivalent was one of the things that really pushed me over the edge - it's just a scaled-down 50mm lens, the cheapest normal prime being a 25 year old dinosaur that cost twice as much as the 35/1.8 DX was just wildly unacceptable. They absolutely refused to refresh their lens designs for anyone except the ultra-high-end customers.

The lack of good first-party lenses ended up leading me to adapting all kinds of alt glass instead, so the NEX was a pretty natural move from there. Plus you got access to the Sigma 30/2.8, which is more or less what I wanted Canon to release in the first place. Sony's first-party lens lineup is tragically bad as well apart from a few places (stabilized fast primes are nice).

Fuji is clearly doing it right and it's really embarrassing to see the excuses that get put out by the other manufacturers. "Laws of physics" my rear end, it's not slowing Fuji down one bit. Sigma is also pushing new designs out the door and they're all pretty amazing too. It's as embarrassing as Pentax claiming there's no market for downmarket full frame cameras while Canon is a year into selling the 6D and Sony is selling out of A7s.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 19, 2013

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm curious how Voigtlander packed such awesome quality into their 15mm f4.5 and why no one else can come close to it in size. Granted there's no AF, but do you really need AF on an UWA, and does it really add that much bulk? I mean look how tiny this thing is, even with the adapter:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It was snowing pretty heavily last week so I cut some holes in a ziplock and put my X100 in it. It is very ghetto and not that water tight.

Anyone have any suggestions about buying/making something either built to last or disposable that minimally weather seals an X100? I made holes for the lens and the front and back if the viewfinder and would like that if not a couple extra holes for control - doesn't need to be a water tight seal but enough to use it without worry in the wet snow would be awesome.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Helicity posted:

I'm curious how Voigtlander packed such awesome quality into their 15mm f4.5 and why no one else can come close to it in size. Granted there's no AF, but do you really need AF on an UWA, and does it really add that much bulk? I mean look how tiny this thing is, even with the adapter:

Well, the answer to that is that it's a slow, manual focus prime. But I agree with you that with modern systems we aren't given the choice between "slow, good, and small" or "fast, good, and big". It's always "slow, lovely, and big" or "fast, amazing, lolhuge"

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

NeverWet maybe? Let us know how well it works on your $1000 camera (actually kind of serious)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

Well, the answer to that is that it's a slow, manual focus prime. But I agree with you that with modern systems we aren't given the choice between "slow, good, and small" or "fast, good, and big". It's always "slow, lovely, and big" or "fast, amazing, lolhuge"

A bunch of m4/3 lenses are small, fast, and have great AF, notably the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Oly 45mm f/1.8 and Oly's 12mm... I think it's an f/2.0.

Unless I'm being wooshed here or something, it can be done.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

DJExile posted:

A bunch of m4/3 lenses are small, fast, and have great AF, notably the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Oly 45mm f/1.8 and Oly's 12mm... I think it's an f/2.0.

Unless I'm being wooshed here or something, it can be done.

Apologies, I tend to forget Olympus when 'spergin out about this because I've never been a 4/3's shooter. But in the last few years their lens lineup has become pretty impressive.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mightaswell posted:

Apologies, I tend to forget Olympus when 'spergin out about this because I've never been a 4/3's shooter. But in the last few years their lens lineup has become pretty impressive.

Tiny lens posting

also voigtlander 15/4.5 posting

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mr. Despair posted:

Tiny lens posting

That's not tiny, it takes up about 4 screens on my laptop. :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You had really bad timing then, I fixed it withing a minute of posting it :ssh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Tiny lens posting

woooooo :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rio posted:

It was snowing pretty heavily last week so I cut some holes in a ziplock and put my X100 in it. It is very ghetto and not that water tight.

Anyone have any suggestions about buying/making something either built to last or disposable that minimally weather seals an X100? I made holes for the lens and the front and back if the viewfinder and would like that if not a couple extra holes for control - doesn't need to be a water tight seal but enough to use it without worry in the wet snow would be awesome.

You have 3 choices. Skip the whole thing and not really worry about mist/rain/snow using judgement. The camera while not weather sealed isnt gonna die if you get it wet out in the rain.

Second choice is to keep doing what your doing.

Third is to buy http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html