Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm starting to get frustrated by all these comics starting in the middle. I know it's an attempt at fresh storytelling but it feels more like a way to try and get you on the hook for the first arc before you can actually decide if you enjoy it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Rover Red Charlie, #1 of 6 in Garth Ennis's new miniseries from Avatar, released this week.

Three dogs trying to survive the total violent collapse of human civilization. Nearly 100% infection plague that causes humans (the "feeders") to hurt themselves ("Sometimes each other. Mostly themselves.")

In other words, WE3 meets Crossed. WE3 is one of my favorite comics ever. Crossed is so, so terrible. But this one has none of the sadism of Crossed, and I actually quite liked this first issue. There are solid personalities for the protagonists quickly established, and a neat "take" on dog-brains and dog-culture. Art is solid. Worth a look if you want another fix of something a little like WE3, or post-apocalyptic Homeward Bound.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Just a reminder: the next volume of Empowered comes out next week! Get hyped! Or don't care at all! Whatever you want!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Just a reminder: the next volume of Empowered comes out next week! Get hyped! Or don't care at all! Whatever you want!

I'm kinda hype? Vol 7 was a little too... rapey for me. The constant reminders of what the other ninjas wanted to do to Ninjette was just too much on that front. And I never, ever, want to see the term "breeding sow" used in reference to a human woman ever again, thanks. Spooky and Emp kicking rear end in hell sounds like a blast, though. Especially if it means we get Mindfuck back.

(It's not, it's going to end up with Spooky dying forever, because no-one is allowed to be happy. :qq:)

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm kinda hype? Vol 7 was a little too... rapey for me. The constant reminders of what the other ninjas wanted to do to Ninjette was just too much on that front. And I never, ever, want to see the term "breeding sow" used in reference to a human woman ever again, thanks. Spooky and Emp kicking rear end in hell sounds like a blast, though. Especially if it means we get Mindfuck back.

(It's not, it's going to end up with Spooky dying forever, because no-one is allowed to be happy. :qq:)
I'm with you on the ninja sex politics. There's some good stuff in 7 with Emp's first couple forays into super-heroics and getting beaten by a bunch of super villains who get around in a minivan with their name written on the side and the actual ninja fight scenes are probably as well done as any ninja fight in comics has ever been that wasn't drawn by like, Frank Miller or David Mazzucchelli.

But really, Ninjette on her on is kinda boring. Her one shot was kind of boring too. She really needs Emp or Thugboy to play off of.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I need to post here more. I'm basically a reformed superhero reader. I gave up after New 52 and Marvel was always a cesspool for me (I know there are gems in there, but I can't be bothered to find them amongst books that rotate writers every 2 months or less). Right now I'm reading Sex Criminals, God is Dead, East of West, Lazarus, Manhattan Projects, and Morning Glories - amongst others.

Glad I dug back into BSS to find the Indie thread. Maybe I can find other things that shine my direction.

So far, with the exception of the last issue, East of West is standing above the others just a bit. It has a lot of forward momentum at least. The dialog could use some polish, but I am all about the art and the huge metaplot is immensely intriguing (much like Morning Glories).

I'm hoping to lurk and get some title names I wouldn't normally hear and see if I can scoop them up (either in paper or digital form). Still being a collector at heart I yearn for the sweet caress of paper.

What's anyone know about Peter Panzerfaust? I was a huge, and still am, fan of Fables and the idea seems intriguing, but I donno how well it was executed.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Why in the world aren't you reading Saga?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sicarius posted:

I need to post here more. I'm basically a reformed superhero reader. I gave up after New 52 and Marvel was always a cesspool for me (I know there are gems in there, but I can't be bothered to find them amongst books that rotate writers every 2 months or less). Right now I'm reading Sex Criminals, God is Dead, East of West, Lazarus, Manhattan Projects, and Morning Glories - amongst others.

Glad I dug back into BSS to find the Indie thread. Maybe I can find other things that shine my direction.

So far, with the exception of the last issue, East of West is standing above the others just a bit. It has a lot of forward momentum at least. The dialog could use some polish, but I am all about the art and the huge metaplot is immensely intriguing (much like Morning Glories).

I'm hoping to lurk and get some title names I wouldn't normally hear and see if I can scoop them up (either in paper or digital form). Still being a collector at heart I yearn for the sweet caress of paper.

What's anyone know about Peter Panzerfaust? I was a huge, and still am, fan of Fables and the idea seems intriguing, but I donno how well it was executed.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, although I do read Hawkeye and Batman from the Big 2. Saga is my favorite book out there by far. Other than that there's a bunch you probably know about, but I like Rachel Rising, The Walking Dead, Invincible. Chew reads well in trades. Manifest Destiny and Hinterkind are just getting started but seem intriguing.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

sicarius posted:

I was intrigued as well, but stopped reading after the first three or four issues. The characters felt really one-dimensional to me and there's a narrator whom the writer leans on to tell, not show, so it felt flat.

I'm not a huge fan of cape books either, and will give my go-to recommendation of probably my all time favorite series, Locke & Key, which ends next week.

edit: seconding Rachel Rising. What should be a B-movie horror comic just so consistently surprises with it's depth and dark humor.

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Everything on your list other than Lazarus is being written by people who also have books out for Marvel. Nick Spencer, the Morning Glories writer is working with Jonathan Hickman, the East of West, Manhattan Projects, and pseudoepigrapher for God is Dead on the Avengers books, which are super heavy on weird metaplot and out three times a month. Matt Fraction is on Hawkeye, which is very pretty.

But you want Image, so try Prophet, a comic about Future-Man Conan. Also, try Orc Stain when the planets align and the next issue comes out.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

bigmike posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, although I do read Hawkeye and Batman from the Big 2. Saga is my favorite book out there by far. Other than that there's a bunch you probably know about, but I like Rachel Rising, The Walking Dead, Invincible. Chew reads well in trades. Manifest Destiny and Hinterkind are just getting started but seem intriguing.

Mimir posted:

Everything on your list other than Lazarus is being written by people who also have books out for Marvel. Nick Spencer, the Morning Glories writer is working with Jonathan Hickman, the East of West, Manhattan Projects, and pseudoepigrapher for God is Dead on the Avengers books, which are super heavy on weird metaplot and out three times a month. Matt Fraction is on Hawkeye, which is very pretty.

But you want Image, so try Prophet, a comic about Future-Man Conan. Also, try Orc Stain when the planets align and the next issue comes out.

I left out Saga, which I am also reading - and loving. It's probably #3 on my list right now if I was forced at gunpoint to rank books.

I am aware that these guys write for the big 2 - but I don't find the stories as compelling because I, generally speaking, don't give a poo poo about the characters anymore and I think the books suffer for trying to tie into the greater universe that is going on. I read Snyder's stuff on Batman early on, I've read Hawkeye (and enjoyed it). I'm tempted to give the Avengers stuff a try if it settles into where I can read the trades without feeling like I missed something that was in in Invincible Iron-Man or Wolverine or some other solo book that I could care less about.

Really, that's become my double-edged sword of hate with the big 2. I love their interacting universe where people show up and make cameos and actions in one book affect another. I also hate that I have to read middling to downright lovely books to get all that. I hate that it costs a pile of money and I end up murdering a million trees to do it.

I just have found that as I aged and moved away from the cape books (again, New 52 is basically when I gave up) I liked the universes that writers could create for themselves and manipulate in a much more open way. Again, not everything from the Big 2 is trash - I really liked Hawkeye (partly because I actually like Hawkeye the character) and found the Court of Owls stuff entertaining and well done (not exceptional, but not a waste of time). I'm not "new" to indie books - I read Y and Ex Machina and other assorted things in the past and I think it just grew on me.

I am now interested in Rachel Rising. I've read the first trade for Revival and thought it was interesting seeing as how it's not a real zombie book.

Shitshow posted:

I was intrigued as well, but stopped reading after the first three or four issues. The characters felt really one-dimensional to me and there's a narrator whom the writer leans on to tell, not show, so it felt flat.

I'm not a huge fan of cape books either, and will give my go-to recommendation of probably my all time favorite series, Locke & Key, which ends next week.

edit: seconding Rachel Rising. What should be a B-movie horror comic just so consistently surprises with it's depth and dark humor.

Sound good - I'm also a huge Locke and Key fan, but have been reading in trades so I have zero clue what's going on anymore. I own them all and once it finishes I have a feeling I'll sit down and re-read the whole thing for the 3rd time. And I will still love every second of it.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

sicarius posted:

I left out Saga, which I am also reading - and loving....

Okay, so given your reading list, seems like the "big" critical/commercial indie success you're missing is Chew (which I love). Other than that, most of the other non-big-2 ongoings I like are new: Rat Queens, Afterlife with Archie, Manifest Destiny, potentially Umbral and Black Science. If any of those are new to you, look 'em up?

onefish fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 11, 2013

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To read Hickman's Avengers by itself you don't really need anything else. If you want to read Infinity then you need to pick up New Avengers as well. They are both fantastic books.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

sicarius posted:

Have you read much older stuff? It can be really satisfying to catch up on the whole story at once. I'm sure you've heard of most of these, but some of my personal all-time favorites are available in trade: Hellboy, Scott Pilgrim, The Goon.

If you're looking for non-big-2 cape stuff, try Jack Staff, Astro City, and Michael Allred's Madman.

Some big-2 writers have also done terrific creator-owned work: Rick Remender's Fear Agent and Strange Girl, Fraction's Casanova, and a lot of Joe Casey's stuff (especially GODLAND). Matt Kindt's MIND MGMT is pretty good and still ongoing.

Other recommendations:
Kieron Gillen's Phonogram (Pop music as magic Constantine-style antics)
King City (kitchen sink urban sci-fi by the guy that does Prophet)
Street Angel/Aphrodisiac (tongue-in-cheek pastiche of exploitation films).
Jeff Smith's Bone (kid-friendly fantasy) and RASL (dimension hopping conspiracy caper)

And if you like Saga, you need to check out Finder by Carla Speed McNeil. It's character-driven sci-fi fantasy that hits a lot of the same beats as Saga, and there's a ton of material available in very reasonably priced b&w trades.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

onefish posted:

Rover Red Charlie, #1 of 6 in Garth Ennis's new miniseries from Avatar, released this week.

Three dogs trying to survive the total violent collapse of human civilization. Nearly 100% infection plague that causes humans (the "feeders") to hurt themselves ("Sometimes each other. Mostly themselves.")

In other words, WE3 meets Crossed. WE3 is one of my favorite comics ever. Crossed is so, so terrible. But this one has none of the sadism of Crossed, and I actually quite liked this first issue. There are solid personalities for the protagonists quickly established, and a neat "take" on dog-brains and dog-culture. Art is solid. Worth a look if you want another fix of something a little like WE3, or post-apocalyptic Homeward Bound.

Yeah I finally read this and it was good. I'm not crazy on the art, it's a bit too Avatar for the concept but Ennis really knows how to bounce from sad to violent to funny ridiculously well.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yesssss

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know what's up with Nowhere Men? Just got the first book, it's pretty much all setup, but it is well done, dense, and a meat sci fi world.
Doesn't look like any issues came out since, so does anyone know if it is continuing?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know what's up with Nowhere Men? Just got the first book, it's pretty much all setup, but it is well done, dense, and a meat sci fi world.
Doesn't look like any issues came out since, so does anyone know if it is continuing?

Yeah it'll be continuing. There was a fairly massive delay between issues 5 and 6, resulting in a fairly massive delay in the TPB. It's also meant that it's annoyingly difficult to find the World Corp t-shirts they brought out a few months back before they lost momentum.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm bailing on Satellite Sam. There was some big twist/revelation at the end of the latest issue, and I realized that I still didn't know what character it was supposed to be referencing, how the main character got to that conclusion, what was motivating most characters or how their stories all tie together, but worst of all, I really just didn't care at all.

Still think the book has a great premise, but the execution is terrible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up the first issue of Satellite Sam and thought it was utter garbage. I still think Fraction is hugely hit or miss.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Satellite Sam is pretty hard to get into, it is not nearly as high concept as other recent Image books ("riders of the apocalypse come to the alternate history USA", "lovers use their time-stopping sex powers to rob banks", "Moneypenny is framed for the murder of James Bond"), it is just nastier (Chaykin-er?) Mad Men about the 50s television, with all the complaint-raising drawbacks that Mad Men have. But once you can crack it, it becomes very enjoyable (if only for being so radically unlike other Image titles), but I would only recommend it to people who are well into Howard Chaykin and who at least had read Black Kiss.

Pretty Deadly is in the same boat as the book that avoids already traditional and comfortable Nu-Image narrative, but just two issues in it beats just every other title that Image put out this year in either art or story department. Now that is the book that I would praise and show to everyone at any given opportunity.

In other news, it appears that Nonplayer #2 is almost ready. Anyone remembers Nonplayer?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

In other news, it appears that Nonplayer #2 is almost ready. Anyone remembers Nonplayer?

Don't you loving tease me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Guess what just automagically appeared itself onto my iKindlePad at midnight! Long live the digital revolution.

It's pretty great, too. A plot-thread got resolved! A plot-thread got resolved, you guys!

I don't even know if I know how to feel about that.

There was significantly less action than I was expecting, though. But I suppose what we got instead was probably better.

:neckbeard: things:

• Emp Getting poo poo Done™. She's just so adorable when she's competent and she knows it.
• People actually acknowledging that for once. Especially Spooky. I hope they'll be friends now. :3:
• THE WINGS APPEARED AGAIN!

:geno: things:

• I cannot even begin to describe how completely and utterly done I am with the Caged Demonwhatever. I thought he was pretty funny the first couple of times, but that joke has been thoroughly run into the ground at this point, and it takes up so much space every time it appears, it's driving me out of my gourd.

:ohdear: things:

• Emp's never exactly been on great terms with the Super-Homeys, and now she's complicit in the theft of an ultra-verboten alien superweapon? Um. And Spooky? She says her career's over, but this doesn't seem like a "clear out your desk" gently caress-up some much as a "Q summons you halfway across the universe to stand trial for humanity's existence" gently caress-up.
• Which is assuming she hasn't just sparked some sort of intergalactic war. Actually, there's probably half a dozen new plot-threads that Warren can spin out of this. Cut off one, two more take its place.
• Mindfuck really was in the hellpit! And they left her there! Well, gently caress. :negative:
• Spooky cursed Emp with bondage-magnetism. Which we now know is a phobia of hers. And she can't undo it. Jesus loving H Christ, Theresa.
• Mindfuck's brother. :aaaaa: And, if I remember correctly, he's still an at-large threat. Warren was very deliberate about hiding his face, too, so we're not even going to recognise him when he shows up.

:confused: things:

• Alright, let me unpick this. So, the demon-thing deliberately spread power around. To get himself free? Did this a to a whole bunch of people, in fact. So... are all the bargain-babies his work? He also recognised the suit... but not as one of his bargains? And then the "cubicle security" drones are... those alien bioweapons from the first half? So, is "Hell" actually some sort of alien facility? But then, the demon is definitely convinced that it used to be human, and it looks like Mindfuck genuinely was there... so it's some sort of alien facility that doubles as a punitive afterlife for humans? And also strikes Faustian bargains? I smell alien psy-ops bullshit.

Now to wait sixteen months for the next volume. :geno:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouҀ™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
In March there will be a new Beasts of Burden.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, Lapham just announced Stray Bullets is finally getting resurrected at Image. Issue 41 is scheduled for march, along with a massive collected edition of all previous issues (scheduled to release the same day as 41) and a new miniseries called Stray Bullets: Killers. Easily the best comic news of the year.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The first 4 issues of the series are free on Comixology right now, too.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I've been waiting for new Stray Bullets for many years. At the most I was expecting a conclusion to the current arc, but we are not only getting that, but a giant omnibus, digital editions and a new series. I'm going to go re-read my issues in anticipation of March.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

ruddiger posted:

Holy poo poo, Lapham just announced Stray Bullets is finally getting resurrected at Image. Issue 41 is scheduled for march, along with a massive collected edition of all previous issues (scheduled to release the same day as 41) and a new miniseries called Stray Bullets: Killers. Easily the best comic news of the year.

This is the best news!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've been looking for the 3rd collection for a while, but it is impossible to find, so I am very happy about the Uber Alles edition coming out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
His recent Young Liars was good for the most part, but Stray Bullets remains my favorite of his work because it stayed accessible while still experimental. I do hope he resists the urge to color the new issue and stick with the black and white, however.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

I've been looking for the 3rd collection for a while, but it is impossible to find, so I am very happy about the Uber Alles edition coming out.

I found it a year or two back in a 50% off hc graphic novel bin at comicon. It sucks that the last run of issues were never properly collected into a 4th hardcover, but the first three look real nice on my shelf (and I love how the bold red/green/blue colored covers look when they're sitting next to each other).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've only ever gotten my hands on the first HC collection, which is great, so yeah, super pumped about this.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
So, regarding the Locke and Key finale from yesterday, how did Bode survive? Or get a new body, or whatever? I feel like something totally went over my head, but it's been so long since I read the previous volumes, I'm surely forgetting something. I know I don't technically need spoiler tags since it's out, but I tagged it since many seem to be waiting for the trades.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Madrox posted:

So, regarding the Locke and Key finale from yesterday, how did Bode survive? Or get a new body, or whatever? I feel like something totally went over my head, but it's been so long since I read the previous volumes, I'm surely forgetting something. I know I don't technically need spoiler tags since it's out, but I tagged it since many seem to be waiting for the trades.

Bode had gone through the ghost door and Dodge had taken his body, thus rendering him a ghost until he could find a new body. In the previous "Calvin and Hobbes" issue, a bird's family had been killed in the battle between themselves and the three dogs (one of which was Dodge). This bird flew through the ghost door and gave up it's body to Bode so that it could look for its family in the afterlife. Bode, using the bird's body, then flew through the animal spirit door (or whatever), which transformed him back to his human form. This same door was used earlier by Bode to transform himself into a bird, and also by Dodge to transform himself into the dog.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Thanks. I remembered everything except the last 2 sentences you posted, which were pretty important.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did anyone else pick up The Midas Flesh? I thought it was pretty fun although it didn't really progress past what was already known about the series through interviews with Ryan North. I'll definitely get the second issue though, just to see where it goes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm not much of a variant person, especially variants that feature real pictures on the cover but I think I need the fourth print cover of Sex Criminals.

It's just so amazing. From the picture of the two of them holding a copy of the book in an awkward prom photo to crossing out "and Inhuman" on the creator blurb, it's fantastic.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RevKrule posted:

I'm not much of a variant person, especially variants that feature real pictures on the cover but I think I need the fourth print cover of Sex Criminals.

It's just so amazing. From the picture of the two of them holding a copy of the book in an awkward prom photo to crossing out "and Inhuman" on the creator blurb, it's fantastic.

I like how he is cradling the book like you would hold a baby.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
That's fantastic. You should cross-post it to the Funny Panels thread, if it's not there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Speaking of covers:

Looks cute! Gonna buy it!