Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I like LPs of kind of obscure, bad games. Like, Chip Cheezum's You Testament or Dysexiatic's High School Dreams. Anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Quovak did a fantastic run of a game called Jesus: Kyōfu No Bio Monster, which is as crazy as it sounds. It's also short, and if you have archives the person who did the translation posted in the topic for it in case that sounds interesting.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like LPs of kind of obscure, bad games. Like, Chip Cheezum's You Testament or Dysexiatic's High School Dreams. Anyone have any recommendations?

Davidspackage did a couple. Black Star and Hopkins FBI are particularly bad adventure games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ThatPazuzu posted:

Petz Horsez 2

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I too like obscure games. Speaking of SSLPs I'm looking for good ones that involve the user either writing something up for the whole LP (like Gazillionaire, off the top of my head) or something long and interesting overall mixed up with their commentary through characters. If it's any help I also read through all of KOTOR2 a while back so that helps narrow it down.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Lunethex posted:

I too like obscure games. Speaking of SSLPs I'm looking for good ones that involve the user either writing something up for the whole LP (like Gazillionaire, off the top of my head) or something long and interesting overall mixed up with their commentary through characters. If it's any help I also read through all of KOTOR2 a while back so that helps narrow it down.

How about berryjon's Exile: Escape from the Pit? The game is obscure but not bad, and the LP just finished here on the forums.

Kiavahr fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 20, 2013

ManduFondue
Mar 9, 2013
Anyone know any good Kerbal Space Program LPs?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lunethex posted:

If you want a great narrative SSLP, I'd recommend the magic that Chokes McGee has been making with [url= http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585183]Final Fantasy Legend[/url] for the original Gameboy. He uses expertly engaging witing talent to improve an already great story.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

ManduFondue posted:

Anyone know any good Kerbal Space Program LPs?

I'm generally more interested in his other stuff, but Scott Manley has tutorials and an ongoing playthrough or two. He's an astronomer, a goon, and consistently entertaining.

poorlyplayed
Aug 29, 2013
I'm looking for narrated VLPs that focus on the game & are being done for enjoyment. Hosts who are mature, and can be any combination of informative/funny/entertaining. Have very low tolerance for youtube divas, forced jokes/personalities, and people who are recording just for money/attention. Production quality isn't a big deal. I really like seeing a background knowledge/history of the game or gaming in general. Don't really have a preferred genre of games, but do like learning about historically significant/revolutionary games and watching someone who is good at the game.

Some LPs/LPers that I like:
ResearchIndicates (a given)
Supergreatfriend (Deadly Premonition, Illbleed, 999, etc. Beginning to feel a bit forced with chat [VLR])
Chewbot's Oregon Trail SSLP & Animal Crossing (The added sound/visuals made them easier to get through than most SSLPs I've tried to read)
SSOHPKCs Super Mario ROM hacks (back in the late 2000's when he bitched about Target, haven't kept up since then)
Errant Signal (not LPs, but the commentary is interesting)
Brickroad (Watched Myst, stayed for the 150% stuff)
Spoony's Phantasmagoria (some of the other stuff feels forced)
Giantbomb's Persona 4 Endurance Run was relaxed & fun to watch even if it was marketing
NorthernLion (mostly quality stuff if sometimes a bit bland)
DocFuture's Sonic
Ambisagrus (introduces a lot of games I'm not familiar with. Not so much a fan of the scripted & co-commentated stuff)
The 7th Guest (think it was Angryponcho, but I'm not a fan of most of his other stuff)

Basically looking for some interesting individual/unique LPs to watch that don't pander to the masses of youtube and instead just do what they personally enjoy. Any thoughts? Hope I've shared some new content too.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
If you like Errant Signal, then I'd recommend Spoiler Warning, which he's actually part of. They cover story-heavy games like the Fallout series and split their commentary pretty evenly between the merits and failures of the game's narrative and the astonishing amount of bugs they run into.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Scorched Spitz posted:

If you like Errant Signal, then I'd recommend Spoiler Warning, which he's actually part of. They cover story-heavy games like the Fallout series and split their commentary pretty evenly between the merits and failures of the game's narrative and the astonishing amount of bugs they run into.

I've tried watching their Mass Effect LP, but they keep talking over all dialog and cutscenes. Not that ME is some masterpiece of writing, but I like to know what's going on at least and they drown everything out with their chatter.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Forgall posted:

I've tried watching their Mass Effect LP, but they keep talking over all dialog and cutscenes. Not that ME is some masterpiece of writing, but I like to know what's going on at least and they drown everything out with their chatter.

They get -better- about that in later seasons, but they still never really stop. Mass Effect is their first attempt at this, and they don't really get into the swing until midway through their Fallout 3 LP.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lunethex posted:

Do you mean narrative LP's in general, or do you specifically mean to creating whole scenes from content that doesn't even exist in the game?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you mean narrative LP's in general, or do you specifically mean to creating whole scenes from content that doesn't even exist in the game?

This mostly. I like when people add in their touch the game when it wouldn't normally be there.

I believe it was said you did this with Divine Divinity.

e. Post below

Yes, that was something I read along with Dwarf Fortress way before I joined SA.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 20, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lunethex posted:

This mostly. I like when people add in their touch the game when it wouldn't normally be there.

Have you read Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP? Anyone who hasn't should do so immediately.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lunethex posted:

If you liked Gazillionaire, Didja Redo took the same approach to Avalon Code and Riviera. In Riviera he doesn't touch the plot much, only the characters' personalities, but in Avalon Code he basically rewrote the game from start to finish.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'm really loving cKnoor's LP of Don't Starve. It's narrative but he's showing off lots of game content in a great way, he's also very funny and I like the 'character' of Wilson he's built. It's definitely my favorite one going right now. It's not done but there's 9 or 10 updates already.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I'm probably going out on a limb here but I'm trying to remember an old video LP of Dino Crisis (1 or 2, I think 2) where the person playing the game had the brilliant idea to make save states of a bunch of ridiculous moments in the game (random deaths, people screaming out terrible lines, etc). The player would then swap over to those save states at random and dramatic points during the game, and the whole thing was absolutely hilarious to watch.

Does anyone know what I'm remembering, and maybe have a link to it somewhere? My memory is very sketchy so it's possible that the guy wasn't connected to this forum/was just screwing around with a few levels rather than doing a LP of the entire game.

edit: I can move this somewhere else if this thread isn't the right place for it but this seemed like the best thread to find people who may have seen it before

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 21, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lunethex posted:

That is correct. I used fake screenshots to add a lot of scenes that didn't exist in the game.

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for, I second Fat Samurai's recommendation of Didja Redo's other LP's, as well as Jerusalem's LP of GTA: San Andreas.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Lunethex posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585183

This is for final fantasy legend and the story is definitely a significant departure from the main storyline. At least in the character depth. It still follows the main storyline and major points in it quite well as far as I can tell. It's in break for the holidays currently but it's very entertaining.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Some of you may be missing it because it got moved to The Dorkroom for Secret Santa, but the Hatoful Boyfriend LP is currently in one of the more insane parts of the game. Which is saying something.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I just bought archives because I am drunk and wanted to read the Europa Universalis Crete thread. To make this an even better purchase recommend me other excellent SSLP's that aren't on lparchive.org.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

habeasdorkus posted:

I just bought archives because I am drunk and wanted to read the Europa Universalis Crete thread. To make this an even better purchase recommend me other excellent SSLP's that aren't on lparchive.org.

You really owe it to yourself to read The Man with a Hat's LP of Arkham Asylum.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

It's a really really good LP, but not very much of a SSLP.

Everyone should still watch it. It's good.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Ugato posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585183

This is for final fantasy legend and the story is definitely a significant departure from the main storyline. At least in the character depth. It still follows the main storyline and major points in it quite well as far as I can tell. It's in break for the holidays currently but it's very entertaining.

I'd like to second this suggestion. Chokes McGee is doing awesome things with this LP.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I've been trying to remember the name of a game I read an LP of here on the forums. It was a JRPG with typical JRPG things like you start in a tiny village and get sent on a quest to save the world and then you run around doing things until you save the world. But then it also had an alternate storyline (demon mode? or something) where instead of doing typical JRPG protagonist things you ran around murdering everyone and generally being a huge dick. It was a redemption theme I think, because the main character was a reborn God of Death of Angel of War or some JRPG protagonist thing but your powers had been sealed by the leader of the village he's torn between helping the people who raised him and just murdering the poo poo out of everything because :biotruths: My memory is really muddy but I'm pretty sure the whole (reborn? or maybe just sealed / memory wiped) Angel of Death (or something like that) being sent off on typical JRPG 'save the world' type missions by the leader of a hidden village he grew up in (maybe just lived in a while?) and then choosing between good and evil basically. The good plot was fairly generic but the evil plot was really dark if memory serves.

The LP was multiple playthroughs showing off the different routes. But I just can't for the life of me remember what it was called so I'm hoping maybe someone here will recognize it from my rambling and tell me what it is.

Fat Samurai posted:

If you liked Gazillionaire, Didja Redo took the same approach to Avalon Code and Riviera. In Riviera he doesn't touch the plot much, only the characters' personalities, but in Avalon Code he basically rewrote the game from start to finish.

Also I'd like to say that Didja Redo's LPs are pretty drat awesome if you're looking for a LPer that takes 'creative liberties'. I just wish he would make more :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sinking Ship posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I read an LP of here on the forums. It was a JRPG with typical JRPG things like you start in a tiny village and get sent on a quest to save the world and then you run around doing things until you save the world. But then it also had an alternate storyline (demon mode? or something) where instead of doing typical JRPG protagonist things you ran around murdering everyone and generally being a huge dick. It was a redemption theme I think, because the main character was a reborn God of Death of Angel of War or some JRPG protagonist thing but your powers had been sealed by the leader of the village he's torn between helping the people who raised him and just murdering the poo poo out of everything because :biotruths: My memory is really muddy but I'm pretty sure the whole (reborn? or maybe just sealed / memory wiped) Angel of Death (or something like that) being sent off on typical JRPG 'save the world' type missions by the leader of a hidden village he grew up in (maybe just lived in a while?) and then choosing between good and evil basically. The good plot was fairly generic but the evil plot was really dark if memory serves.

The LP was multiple playthroughs showing off the different routes. But I just can't for the life of me remember what it was called so I'm hoping maybe someone here will recognize it from my rambling and tell me what it is.

You're looking for Soul Nomad, I believe.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Artix posted:

You're looking for Soul Nomad, I believe.

Yep that's the one, thanks a bunch!

edit: Also it seems my memory was even worse than I thought - glad you could figure out what I was talking about despite that :shobon:

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 26, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CrookedB posted:

I'd like to second this suggestion. Chokes McGee is doing awesome things with this LP.

Technically you're thirding it, and it's worth the praise!

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Does anyone know of a good Prince of Persia(2008) playthrough, preferably subtitled or uncommented? Basically just without some screechy goober awkwardly talking over everything. I'd really like to see the game in motion since it has such a unique look, but all the videos are down in the only SA LP that I can find.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cloche posted:

Does anyone know of a good Prince of Persia(2008) playthrough, preferably subtitled or uncommented? Basically just without some screechy goober awkwardly talking over everything. I'd really like to see the game in motion since it has such a unique look, but all the videos are down in the only SA LP that I can find.

Well, there's a speedrun. Checks the "uncommented" and "in motion" boxes, may be slightly repetitive and skips a bunch of that plot stuff that speedrunners don't like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

NeilPerry posted:

Kind of an extension of a question I asked in the sandcastle:

Anyone here know any good Japanese LP's(obviously off-site)? All I can find are gimmicks(the guy who acts like an old man or the guy who sticks his head in an aquarium whenever Mario is underwater) or YouTube scarecam LP's of slender. Considering how many games exist that never made it out of Japan I'm hoping that there's a subdivision of 実況's that is somewhat more like the SomethingAwful approach, but I might be a bit too optimistic.

Gonna assume you're fluent, so apologies if that's not the case.

ボルゾイ企画 is pretty good. Obviously they became famous to the general public for their Ao Oni jikkyou which is pretty much all Kami screaming and Fuhiki laughing but most of their other stuff is pretty low key.

Since you're fluent in English as well, you might find the 海外ズ Super Mario Wii run to be amusing like I did. Basically two white guys doing a jikkyou in mildly accented but fluent Japanese. Sometimes their friends (who don't speak Japanese) join in as well.

hacchi is one of the old greats, and I really liked his The Immortal playthrough. He generally plays games that are ridiculously hard, so be prepared to see him dying a lot.

ガッチマン is pretty good at video games, and he'll explain stuff while playing and do alternative playthroughs so his jikkyou are fun to watch even if you've played the games yourself.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head, tell me if you want more and I'll scrounge up some more stuff when I've got the time.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

ボルゾイ企画 is pretty good. Obviously they became famous to the general public for their Ao Oni jikkyou which is pretty much all Kami screaming and Fuhiki laughing but most of their other stuff is pretty low key.

Since you're fluent in English as well, you might find the 海外ズ Super Mario Wii run to be amusing like I did. Basically two white guys doing a jikkyou in mildly accented but fluent Japanese. Sometimes their friends (who don't speak Japanese) join in as well.

hacchi is one of the old greats, and I really liked his The Immortal playthrough. He generally plays games that are ridiculously hard, so be prepared to see him dying a lot.

ガッチマン is pretty good at video games, and he'll explain stuff while playing and do alternative playthroughs so his jikkyou are fun to watch even if you've played the games yourself.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head, tell me if you want more and I'll scrounge up some more stuff when I've got the time.

Thanks for the list!
I remember watching a The Immortal LP in Japanese back when I was less fluent, so yeah I'll give that one a shot again. And yeah, I'd appreciate any other things you can scrounge up.

EDIT: Found hacchi. Nice unregistered hypercam logo.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 29, 2013

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Can anybody suggest a good LP of Bioshock infinite?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Did you know

that Sundowner is a cool guy who is doing a good LP of Bioshock: Infinite?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566891

It's pretty far along in the story and he's way better at the game than I am.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Skippy Granola posted:

Did you know

that Sundowner is a cool guy who is doing a good LP of Bioshock: Infinite?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566891

It's pretty far along in the story and he's way better at the game than I am.

The only downside is that he can take pretty long breaks between episodes. I think there was a three week gap between the last two episodes and we're in another three week gap again.

In the scheme of things it is kind of a minor problem, there are plenty of episodes up already and they are definitely worth watching if you want to see Infinite done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it well.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I'm on the fence about watching it after the first few minutes. It looked so good I'm thinking of getting the game

I had the same feeling about the Last of Us, but ended up watching the ongoing LP. Which I'm glad of, as I'm interested in the story but not the gameplay.

So I guess my question is innately subjective but is it worth it to wait till after I play the game, or can I get a good experience watching the LP?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sneaky Fast posted:

I'm on the fence about watching it after the first few minutes. It looked so good I'm thinking of getting the game

I had the same feeling about the Last of Us, but ended up watching the ongoing LP. Which I'm glad of, as I'm interested in the story but not the gameplay.

So I guess my question is innately subjective but is it worth it to wait till after I play the game, or can I get a good experience watching the LP?

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite so I can't really answer your question, but if you're in North America it'll be free on PS3 for PS Plus members sometime this month. So if you've got PS Plus it might be worth waiting just because you can get it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

AnonSpore posted:

I'm very intrigued by this, is there a link to these guys on Youtube, or is this all on Nico Nico Douga? I only ever saw one Japanese LP of sorts, and it was a challenge run of Mario 64 known as "Green Demon Challenge", which is trying to dodge the floating 1-up in a level while collecting all 8 red coins before finishing. Pretty hilarious to watch actually even if you don't know any Japanese, they seem very lively and have a lot of fun trying to dodge the "green demon" as it were. Not many videos but it does seem to be up on Nico Nico too?

• Locked thread