Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Anyone else use Cover lockscreen? I want to identify which app is responsible for all this drat GPS usage, and think Cover might be responsible because it's one of those "contextual" lockscreens.

I am; now I can have my contextual cake and eat, it too (the way Aviate handles widgets just isn't my cup of tea, sadly). I have been noticing an increase in GPS usage, but not enough to bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I have tried Action Launcher

It is love

I bought Pro cause it's super-duper awesome

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My only problem with Action Launcher is that it can't organize the app drawer into categories like ADW and there's a size limit on folders in Action Launcher so I can't use it as a 1-to-1 replacement.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My only problem with Action Launcher is that it can't organize the app drawer into categories like ADW and there's a size limit on folders in Action Launcher so I can't use it as a 1-to-1 replacement.

Yea what the hell? I'm sticking with it in hopes it will be fixed, but a 16-item limit in a folder is just dumb.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just use it for the one-swipe. Having a list of apps available everywhere rules.

Hypothetical Hose
Jun 6, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I'm pretty sure this came up a while back but I can't seem to find it so my apologies for asking again. I just got my OG Nexus 7 from getting the screen replaced and they wiped it. Is there a way to mass reinstall apps via the Play store? I went into my apps and held down on one to multi-select but then after I do that I don't see an install option. Doing that one by one is going to be incredibly loving tedious.

There should be an automatic restore option in the Backup and Reset portion of your settings. I think that's what pulls down all the apps after a factory wipe.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Anybody know of an app that can sync my Outlook Calendar to my phone?

This seems like a really basic thing, but I don't have my company email/calendar on my phone, only on my laptop, and it'd be great if I could plug in my phone to my laptop and sync my calendar to my android's calendar. Any features like that?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I have a Razr HD, no root or anything, just factory stock. I use a pattern lock. What's the best option to launch the camera without having to unlock it?

I visited NYC this weekend and was taking photos constantly, but didn't want to leave my phone unlocked in the event that I lost it. It was pretty frustrating unlocking over and over whenever I wanted to get a shot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Require More Fire posted:

I have a Razr HD, no root or anything, just factory stock. I use a pattern lock. What's the best option to launch the camera without having to unlock it?

I visited NYC this weekend and was taking photos constantly, but didn't want to leave my phone unlocked in the event that I lost it. It was pretty frustrating unlocking over and over whenever I wanted to get a shot.

I don't think you can unless you disable the security lock.

I have my set to lock after 20 minutes, maybe that would be a better solution for a situation like that?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Hypothetical Hose posted:

There should be an automatic restore option in the Backup and Reset portion of your settings. I think that's what pulls down all the apps after a factory wipe.

Had than enabled but it didn't pull any down.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

MentosMan posted:

Anybody know of an app that can sync my Outlook Calendar to my phone?

This seems like a really basic thing, but I don't have my company email/calendar on my phone, only on my laptop, and it'd be great if I could plug in my phone to my laptop and sync my calendar to my android's calendar. Any features like that?
Assuming your work email is on Exchange, just add the account to your phone. If you don't have exchange, good luck. You used to be able to sync outlook with your google calendar but I don't think that's possible now.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

Assuming your work email is on Exchange, just add the account to your phone. If you don't have exchange, good luck. You used to be able to sync outlook with your google calendar but I don't think that's possible now.

Yeah, so I can't add my exchange account to my phone due to security issues. My coworkers with iPhones are able to sync their calendar via iTunes by plugging their phone into their laptops. Was hoping a similar feature existed for Android peoples.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

MentosMan posted:

Yeah, so I can't add my exchange account to my phone due to security issues. My coworkers with iPhones are able to sync their calendar via iTunes by plugging their phone into their laptops. Was hoping a similar feature existed for Android peoples.

Have you looked at gSyncIt?
I use it to sync my Outlook at home to my Google Calendar, but I don't know how it would act in a corporate environment.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any cool launchers if I've just got a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket? I downloaded the GO Launcher for the sci fi themes, but I'm a bit hesitant about using software from Hong Kong that barrages me with ads unless I give him money.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any cool launchers if I've just got a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket? I downloaded the GO Launcher for the sci fi themes, but I'm a bit hesitant about using software from Hong Kong that barrages me with ads unless I give him money.

The ads have a spike in frequency when you install a new version but pretty much disappear after that; I see maybe 1 a month. I'm not aware of any security issues with GO Launcher doing nefarious things in the background.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My phone only lets me partially unlink ringtone and notification volume; if ringtone is set to zero, notification volume is zero too. It's only when ringtone is > 0 that I can freely adjust notification volume to something else. Is there any app that will completely unlink these, so my ringtone can be vibrate and my notification can be set to something more than silent / vibrate? Bonus if it's something simple and easy to use because I'm pretty dumb.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

The ads have a spike in frequency when you install a new version but pretty much disappear after that; I see maybe 1 a month. I'm not aware of any security issues with GO Launcher doing nefarious things in the background.

Oh neat, I'll stick with it until I get bored with the sci fi crap and install a generic launcher. Thanks.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

regulargonzalez posted:

My phone only lets me partially unlink ringtone and notification volume; if ringtone is set to zero, notification volume is zero too. It's only when ringtone is > 0 that I can freely adjust notification volume to something else. Is there any app that will completely unlink these, so my ringtone can be vibrate and my notification can be set to something more than silent / vibrate? Bonus if it's something simple and easy to use because I'm pretty dumb.

Yes, GravityBox allows just that

But since it's an Xposed framework module, you'll have to root your phone

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Ah, no root and it seems like a pain on the HTC One. Plus I have to backup and restore, yeah?

Thanks anyway!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So now that I have my tablet back I finally used my Aviate Launcher beta code and man I am really impressed with it. I'm using Themer (which is pretty cool in it's own right) on my phone right now but I might switch it over to Aviate as well. For those that are using it, is there a way to theme it beyond just the light/dark choice in the settings menu?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Hey since you're talking about GravityBox, does it allow me to put a screen timeout tile on the QSP? Looking at the GravityBox thread in xda it would seem it doesn't but since you're right here why not ask.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

vulturesrow posted:

So now that I have my tablet back I finally used my Aviate Launcher beta code and man I am really impressed with it. I'm using Themer (which is pretty cool in it's own right) on my phone right now but I might switch it over to Aviate as well. For those that are using it, is there a way to theme it beyond just the light/dark choice in the settings menu?

Nope. And there is only the one page for widgets, too. I love the lack of having to gently caress with something that is so awesome.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you looked at gSyncIt?
I use it to sync my Outlook at home to my Google Calendar, but I don't know how it would act in a corporate environment.

This looks great, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a good and free IRC app? I'd like to be able to stay in touch with the various goon discussions while on the move.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a good and free IRC app? I'd like to be able to stay in touch with the various goon discussions while on the move.

I've been fond of Andchat, personally.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Hey since you're talking about GravityBox, does it allow me to put a screen timeout tile on the QSP? Looking at the GravityBox thread in xda it would seem it doesn't but since you're right here why not ask.
GravityBox includes a "Stay Awake" tile which just toggles screen timeout on/off, but there's no option to let you cycle through different timeout periods.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

GravityBox includes a "Stay Awake" tile which just toggles screen timeout on/off, but there's no option to let you cycle through different timeout periods.
:(

Oh well, thanks for the info. I guess I'll look into one of the many other ways to get what I want.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Is there a messaging app that seamlessly transitions between utilizing gchat-like IMing and SMS texting, depending on WiFi connectivity?

Essentially, I want a texting app that covertly utilizes WiFi when I'm connected to one, without changing the format of the conversation (other than breaking up SMS into 160-character blocks, presumably).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Forever_Peace posted:

Is there a messaging app that seamlessly transitions between utilizing gchat-like IMing and SMS texting, depending on WiFi connectivity?

Essentially, I want a texting app that covertly utilizes WiFi when I'm connected to one, without changing the format of the conversation (other than breaking up SMS into 160-character blocks, presumably).

Not currently.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Not currently.

Is there some kind of technical limitation that makes this a harder problem than it seems? There are already apps that use data, apps that use SMS, apps that detect WiFi connectivity, and apps that control the look of texts and notifications. What's the problem? Surely such an app would be hugely popular? (I'm asking this in good faith because I honestly have no idea how this stuff works)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The technical limitation is that cell companies don't want to provide a simple web->sms system so that they can continue to charge fifteen cents to both send and receive 160 characters.

I think GO SMS PRO does what you want, but that can only work for other people using the same app.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Any good recommendations for Daydream apps with notification updates? I'm currently using Clock+, but it doesn't seem to show new emails or texts unless I wake it up and let it reload.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
What about an app that'll let me import a shared Outlook Calendar?

I have the touchwiz email client, which is awesome. But I cannot seem to figure out how to open a shared calendar.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Forever_Peace posted:

Is there some kind of technical limitation that makes this a harder problem than it seems? There are already apps that use data, apps that use SMS, apps that detect WiFi connectivity, and apps that control the look of texts and notifications. What's the problem?
How would my phone know whether your phone is currently able to receive a data message?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

How would my phone know whether your phone is currently able to receive a data message?

Apple figured it out.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Apple figured it out.

I thought iMessage decides whether to send as data or SMS based purely on if that person has a number attached to their Apple account? Like if I associated my number with iMessage all further messages I get from iOS users will be data messages regardless of my own data connectivity?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Geektox posted:

I thought iMessage decides whether to send as data or SMS based purely on if that person has a number attached to their Apple account? Like if I associated my number with iMessage all further messages I get from iOS users will be data messages regardless of my own data connectivity?
This certainly seems to be how they do it, based on problems people have when they go from an iPhone to a non-iPhone.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Anyone else have any issues with Lightflow and a Nexus 5? It won't ever stop blinking the notification light when I get a text unless I press the widget that I was forced to put on my screen /because/ it won't stop blinking.

I use Chomp SMS and I've tried using the alternate messaging handling with no luck.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Malkar posted:

Anyone else have any issues with Lightflow and a Nexus 5? It won't ever stop blinking the notification light when I get a text unless I press the widget that I was forced to put on my screen /because/ it won't stop blinking.

I use Chomp SMS and I've tried using the alternate messaging handling with no luck.
It works fine for me. What method of clearing the notification do you have selected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Malkar posted:

I'm using LightFlow on a Galaxy S3, and since I updated to CM 10.2/Android 4.3 I've been having random issues crop up. Notification light not turning off properly, incorrect light colors, the light coming on for no reason at all...

• Locked thread