Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Turning up a new Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster and running into a weird issue. I've set up over 100 of these darn things and have never had a problem until this one.

Specs are 4 BL460C G1 Blades
HP EVA 8400 Fibre Disk System connected via QL2342 4GB HBA's
Everything is up to day via software updates and firmwares(I have tons of these running in the exact same config)
Server 2012 (not R2 yet)
System Center VMM 2012 R2 deployed on each cluster node
System Center Data Protection Manager R2 deployed on each cluster node.

Cluster passes all tests, builds properly, the Cluster IP comes up, DNS is happy, etc.

However, whenever I go and build a VM (which it does build) as soon as it makes it Highly Available it fails with:

There was a failure configuring the virtual machine role for 'Server 2012 Cluster Test'.
An error occurred while updating the Virtual Machine Configuration of resource 'Virtual Machine Configuration Server 2012 Burn in Box'.

The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the resource, or the node is not a possible owner of the resource

I've destroyed the cluster, rebuilt it, checked every event log, verified MPIO, verified everything can talk to each other, verified domain permissions, etc and keep coming back at aloss.

Nothing about this cluster is different than any other I have built, yet this ones refuses to work.

Any ideas from anyone? My next step is to rip VMM and DPM away to see if they are causing any issues, however VMM shows the Virtual Machine appearing and being deleted when it fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

evol262 posted:

You can unselect the "Register this adapters address in DNS" option per-adapter then distribute it or create a static hostname in DNS and deny updates (probably A 127.0.0.1), or you can schedule a job which queries DNS (itself in AD) for the SID or hostname and sets dnsTombstoned to true

The problem with unselected the DNS register option is some of the DHCP servers do it for you regardless of that option being checked. Creating a static DNS entry pointing to localhost wouldn't work since people access the VM from the host machine (Fire up application on laptop and point it to the VM running on there).

dnsTombstoned looks interesting, as soon as that's set would the DNS server stop resolving the hostname?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ashex posted:

The problem with unselected the DNS register option is some of the DHCP servers do it for you regardless of that option being checked. Creating a static DNS entry pointing to localhost wouldn't work since people access the VM from the host machine (Fire up application on laptop and point it to the VM running on there).
That's a configuration problem. Some servers do it regardless. ISC dhcpd+bind, dnsmasq, and others. Microsoft's shouldn't. Is this a Microsoft environment?

It doesn't have to be localhost. I can be anything you want as long as you deny updates.

Ashex posted:

dnsTombstoned looks interesting, as soon as that's set would the DNS server stop resolving the hostname?
It's basically a flag that says "next time you sweep the zone file, delete this record".

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Mirage is cool as poo poo.

I haven't gotten into any of the new stuff. Our PoC ended when view was still on v5.0 and they were not pushing mirage then so my knowledge is somewhat dated. All i've heard on it was from EUC sales guys at our yearly meeting.

I assumed from attempting to get technical details out of the sales pitch, to use mirage you would need to image workstations with mirage from the start of the PCs lifecycle... is this correct?

We currently use MDT extensively and while mirage sounds cool if it involves nixing MDT and redoing everything in Mirage its not worth it.

I just don't see how it would be able to split a thick workstation into OS / App / User layers on its own and be able to update these layers individually if it wasn't designed to do this from the start.

This is currently on a long list of projects that are OK to start with any free time but I'm dreading upgrading view in general.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does anyone know of a way to get a list of all the IPs in vcenter on hosts that do not have vmware tools installed? as far as I can tell, it's vmware tools that presents that information to the API, but there has to be a sideways way of getting that info. A powershell or perl vcli way of doing it would be optimal. Google is no help; I'm surprised no one has run into this before.

I'm guessing you could scrape the MACs assigned to the nics, then filter that through a mac report from the virtual switch. Or something.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

warning posted:

I haven't gotten into any of the new stuff. Our PoC ended when view was still on v5.0 and they were not pushing mirage then so my knowledge is somewhat dated. All i've heard on it was from EUC sales guys at our yearly meeting.

I assumed from attempting to get technical details out of the sales pitch, to use mirage you would need to image workstations with mirage from the start of the PCs lifecycle... is this correct?

We currently use MDT extensively and while mirage sounds cool if it involves nixing MDT and redoing everything in Mirage its not worth it.

I just don't see how it would be able to split a thick workstation into OS / App / User layers on its own and be able to update these layers individually if it wasn't designed to do this from the start.

This is currently on a long list of projects that are OK to start with any free time but I'm dreading upgrading view in general.

Sorta there is a good overview of it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oY6OYd0gH0

MDT is good for a first on deploy, and can be locked down extensively with GPO's. Mirage basically lets users customize the image but always reverts it back to same state as the master image, high level it is sorta like deepfreeze if you are familiar with that. It also allows you to update one base image and push to clients to meet compliance without having to reside on GPO's for SW installs, scripts for customization, or other crap that might prompt a UAC prompt for users to update.

Where it differs is that you can carry profiles anywhere to another mirage based machine allowing for you to swap out machines and such without effecting what the end user is familiar with.

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get a list of all the IPs in vcenter on hosts that do not have vmware tools installed? as far as I can tell, it's vmware tools that presents that information to the API, but there has to be a sideways way of getting that info. A powershell or perl vcli way of doing it would be optimal. Google is no help; I'm surprised no one has run into this before.

I'm guessing you could scrape the MACs assigned to the nics, then filter that through a mac report from the virtual switch. Or something.

Like this?

http://www.vhersey.com/2011/11/powercli-to-check-for-vmware-toolsok/

This should return vm's with tools reporting, then you could just diff the outputs and see what returns with a tools error or whatnot.

Oh wait those commands might be depricated.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 19, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get a list of all the IPs in vcenter on hosts that do not have vmware tools installed?
You mean VMs without tools? Why don't they?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

You mean VMs without tools? Why don't they?

Some vendors screams about vmtools, you're trying to fool people on if it is/isn't virtual, or $super_wizard_IT_guy$ set up a bunch of VM's and you need to check his setup.

Blah I need to work on my Power-CLI more.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Dev has been creating hosts willy-nilly with no oversight and now vulnerability scans are showing findings with IPs and I need to discover if those IPs are actually virtualized servers in our enviorn or if I can pass the buck to someone else.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Bhodi posted:

I have a powercli script I wrote that will only return VMs that currently report that vmware tools is not installed.

Now since tools is not installed you could use this list of objects and feed it over the pipeline again to get mac addresses from the vm hardware. In our environment the VM name is the host name 99% of the time so you could also feed it nslookup or those new powershell dns commands that came with 8.1/powershell4.

Since it is tools that reports the IP back to the host and then vcenter... I don't think there is a direct way of getting that information from VMs without the tools installed.

If you think it would be useful I can dig up the powershell cli script for you, let me know.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

Sorta there is a good overview of it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oY6OYd0gH0

MDT is good for a first on deploy, and can be locked down extensively with GPO's. Mirage basically lets users customize the image but always reverts it back to same state as the master image, high level it is sorta like deepfreeze if you are familiar with that. It also allows you to update one base image and push to clients to meet compliance without having to reside on GPO's for SW installs, scripts for customization, or other crap that might prompt a UAC prompt for users to update.

Where it differs is that you can carry profiles anywhere to another mirage based machine allowing for you to swap out machines and such without effecting what the end user is familiar with.

Thanks, I need more free time to give this a demo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

warning posted:

Thanks, I need more free time to give this a demo.

Lemme know if you need a demo, be more than happy to do some join.me on VMware poo poo if enough goons would like.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than some really ancient Xen 4.0.1 live cds, are there any modern hypervisor-on-a-live CD?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Other than some really ancient Xen 4.0.1 live cds, are there any modern hypervisor-on-a-live CD?
Smartos.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

ESXi 5.x loads all into ram. Rip out a raid 1 or SD card it is on, gently caress it. It's great till next reboot.

Oh if you want life boot you may need to configure a KS off the CD.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 20, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I will give SmartOS a shot, why not

I also burned a copy of AlpineOS liveCD

ESXi 5.x loads all into ram. Rip out a raid 1 or SD card it is on, gently caress it. It's great till next reboot.

Oh if you want life boot you may need to configure a KS off the CD.

Surely a "live cd" ks.cfg exists already, google isn't yielding any results, however.

I inherited a T400 (laptop) with 8GB RAM, VT-x, VT-d support, a working DVD-ROM, and gig-e, but dud screen backlight and no hard drive. My home FS runs hyper-v but I figured I should learn esxi as that's the flavor my company uses.

I haven't had very good any luck booting thinkpads off of SD, sadly.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 20, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Surely a "live cd" ks.cfg exists already, google isn't yielding any results, however.

I inherited a T400 (laptop) with 8GB RAM, VT-x, VT-d support, a working DVD-ROM, and gig-e, but dud screen backlight and no hard drive. My home FS runs hyper-v but I figured I should learn esxi as that's the flavor my company uses.

I haven't had very good any luck booting thinkpads off of SD, sadly.

a ks.cfg doesn't exists because it doesn't know what to do.

Why not run player or something if a laptop?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004582

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That would require a hard drive and Windows

I will see if I can "install" esxi 5.x to a USB drive then pull the drive once it's all in RAM

Too bad you can't install esxi 5.x to a ram drive at boot

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

oVirt Live

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Hadlock posted:

I will see if I can "install" esxi 5.x to a USB drive then pull the drive once it's all in RAM

Can confirm this works. Wondered about my non-redundant SD cards in all my servers so I tested it somewhere back in the thread by pulling them after boot.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

That would require a hard drive and Windows

It works, ESXi tries to Gzip changes to source before shut down.

Iv'e run many prod environments off USB, and yanked USB, and few off autodeploy.

Also ESXi is a <300mb install.

E:I'll demo it live on some of my next to kin prod environments.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 20, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
You might want to think twice about pulling the USB stick that ESXi boots from. It still wants to use it for the autobackup.sh script and other things. Stuff will behave funky if you pull it.
Consider a low-profile stick, or use a VM.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Kachunkachunk posted:

You might want to think twice about pulling the USB stick that ESXi boots from. It still wants to use it for the autobackup.sh script and other things. Stuff will behave funky if you pull it.
Consider a low-profile stick, or use a VM.

To it will run and that is a valid point about autobackup.sh; you just have to examine the change log vs. how much mem it reserved for processing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It works, ESXi tries to Gzip changes to source before shut down.

Iv'e run many prod environments off USB, and yanked USB, and few off autodeploy.

Also ESXi is a <300mb install.

E:I'll demo it live on some of my next to kin prod environments.

I'm curious about the whole "yanking the volume which ESXi is installed to" thing. A while back, not long after vSphere 5.0 GA, I upgraded a cluster of seven IBM HS22 blades to 5.0. Five of these blades had ESXi installed to DAS (2 x 125GB RAID1) and two had it installed to internal USB flash drives. The upgrade went fine however we quickly encountered an issue with the five blades that had ESXi installed to DAS: after approximately 5-6 hours of running they would suddenly lose connectivity with the DAS and become completely unmanageable. All the VMs running on them were fine however I couldn't connect to the hosts, do vMotion or anything.

I escalated to VMware who told me to talk to IBM who told me to talk to VMware so we said "gently caress it" and ordered USB flash drives for the 5 blades with DAS. Worked perfectly after that.

So yeah my point is: doesn't ESXi freak out if you yank the volume which it's installed to?

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
What Statistics level do people tend to keep their Statistics Intervals in vCenter Server set to?

We are currently setup as such:

Interval Duration/Save For/Statistics Level
5 Minutes/1 Day/3
30 Minutes/1 Week/3
2 Hours/1 Month/3
1 Day/1 Year/3

Previously we had everything set to Level 1 but shortly before I took over vSphere we bumped the statistics level up to 3 on everything in order to capture information like NIC utilization. The vSphere client estimated this would use somewhere in the neighborhood of 47GB. In the 3 months since this change our vCenter DB has ballooned from 5GB to 80GB with no end to the growth in sight, and VMware support was of no help in explaining why it was so much larger than the estimate other than repeatedly informing me it was "just an estimate" (Thanks...)

Does anyone else run at this high of a logging level and if so have you seen larger than expected amounts of growth or are we just dumb for logging at this high of a level?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CtrlMagicDel posted:

What Statistics level do people tend to keep their Statistics Intervals in vCenter Server set to?

We are currently setup as such:

Interval Duration/Save For/Statistics Level
5 Minutes/1 Day/3
30 Minutes/1 Week/3
2 Hours/1 Month/3
1 Day/1 Year/3

Previously we had everything set to Level 1 but shortly before I took over vSphere we bumped the statistics level up to 3 on everything in order to capture information like NIC utilization. The vSphere client estimated this would use somewhere in the neighborhood of 47GB. In the 3 months since this change our vCenter DB has ballooned from 5GB to 80GB with no end to the growth in sight, and VMware support was of no help in explaining why it was so much larger than the estimate other than repeatedly informing me it was "just an estimate" (Thanks...)

Does anyone else run at this high of a logging level and if so have you seen larger than expected amounts of growth or are we just dumb for logging at this high of a level?

I really only run high logging levels if the client is requesting some kind of advanced insight and is not using a third party tool in conjunction with vCenter's metrics such as solarwinds. Honestly most the time it is at default.

cheese-cube posted:

So yeah my point is: doesn't ESXi freak out if you yank the volume which it's installed to?

Only if it needs to write something to the installed volume it may start to ask you about where it's volume went, other than that it runs in ram

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 20, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

cheese-cube posted:

I'm curious about the whole "yanking the volume which ESXi is installed to" thing. A while back, not long after vSphere 5.0 GA, I upgraded a cluster of seven IBM HS22 blades to 5.0. Five of these blades had ESXi installed to DAS (2 x 125GB RAID1) and two had it installed to internal USB flash drives. The upgrade went fine however we quickly encountered an issue with the five blades that had ESXi installed to DAS: after approximately 5-6 hours of running they would suddenly lose connectivity with the DAS and become completely unmanageable. All the VMs running on them were fine however I couldn't connect to the hosts, do vMotion or anything.

I escalated to VMware who told me to talk to IBM who told me to talk to VMware so we said "gently caress it" and ordered USB flash drives for the 5 blades with DAS. Worked perfectly after that.

Yes.
Well, if anything, it's still not really considered a "supported" configuration when you have APD conditions ongoing for a host - this is regardless of it being for your USB boot media, or a SAN LUN.
This applies to all versions of ESXi, up to and including ESXi 5.5, but at least to a lesser degree when it's a newer product. The newer products have had some improvements worked in to handle loss of access, but I still wouldn't call it graceful.
Unpredictable behaviour does ensue, but it was generally far worse for versions preceding 5.0 and 5.1. VMs generally did not have issues, but manageability of the host would become a real problem.
I believe that a lot of the symptoms depended on what component failed to conduct I/O against the problem device when it disappeared. If you had host management agents pending I/O, you'll likely have some issues trying to manage the host for a while until the pending I/Os either time out or succeed when you restore storage accessibility (if you can).

ESXi runs in RAM. This is true, but host agents and the stateful configuration that's saved every hour often do care about that missing boot media, and its absence will almost certainly result in problems.

I can't get into specifics, but some time back, we discovered a certain blade model from a certain vendor would mysteriously drop USB ports for a brief moment, causing the device/media to disappear and re-enumerate under a different device ID (this latter part was by USB driver design, and is the same behavior as what's in the open-source Linux USB driver, but this still makes it an ESXi/VMware issue and a fix can be designed).
Anyway, whenever this happened, the host would continue running for days or weeks without disconnecting from vCenter Server, or showing much sign of an issue at all, really. But well, eventually it would be discovered, as vMotions would for some reason not complete, for instance. Then they notice the APD condition for the local boot media upon investigation, and have to schedule VM shutdowns for a host reboot. Most functionality might work fine, but believe me, you don't want to lose your boot media, especially while statefulness of an ESXi host is already of special consideration.

Oh, and a fun fact. It was touched upon earlier, but I can add. If you boot from ESXi's installer disc, you can use other TTYs to start up sufficient components of ESXi. You can complete enough of the host configuration to actually license ESXi, attach it to vCenter Server, and of course, run VMs. All without installing.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 21, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So I decided to be a little adventurous and energy-conscious (i.e. cheap) and combine my FreeNAS box into my ESXi box and run FreeNAS as a VM since I had a sufficient number of SATA ports and memory in my ESXi box to handle both tasks simultaneously with ease and had sufficient physical space in the box to accomodate the 4-in-3 backplane enclosure. Everything was going just fine until the point when I tried to configure FreeNAS 9.1 to use the RDM's to create my storage volume. Turns out FreeNAS 9.1 absolutely will not play well with ESXi - it sees the drives, but forget creating a volume unless you use a RAID controller to provide pass-through. On top of that, if you lose even a single drive you will lose all data in the volume, even if it's set up as a RAIDZ2. This is a known issue, and the response has uniformly been "Don't make a loving VM with FreeNAS and don't come crying to us when your drive dies and you lose everything."

I did some more research and found that FreeNAS 8.3 doesn't suffer from this problem, so I created another VM and added the RDM's to it and went in and was successful in creating a volume and able to access it from my Windows 7 machines and all was right with the world. But then I took a step back and looked critically at my setup and realized that I was back into the original configuration that I'd started off with (plus a couple more drives) and decided to chuck the whole NAS deal and instead just add the RDMs back to my Linux VM and let it manage the RAID.

I learned a few things from this whole exercise, however, so the several hundred bucks I spent wasn't a gigantic waste after all. Plus I got more storage out of it. Now I just need to figure out how to avoid the whole mess that got me started in all this - making sure the RAID is configured correctly so that my files don't get stored on the datastore instead of where they should be stored.

Of course, now I'm leaning towards getting one of the 5-in-3 backplane enclosures so I can add another disk. This is actually turning out to be pretty fun.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bhodi posted:

Dev has been creating hosts willy-nilly with no oversight and now vulnerability scans are showing findings with IPs and I need to discover if those IPs are actually virtualized servers in our enviorn or if I can pass the buck to someone else.

Check to see if the MAC addresses for those IPs are in the range assigned to VMWare (00:50:56); this won't work if the devs are setting the MAC address inside the OS.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've been running FreeNAS on my ESXi box for about 7 months or so. I started off with 8.3 and then upgraded it to 9.2 a while back. I have had zero issues, and followed their guide on how to do it properly. I did have to tweak some stuff to get rid of the interrupt warnings, but after that, it's been great. I'm passing my LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode through to it.

Edit: Link to virtualization guide. http://forums.freenas.org/threads/absolutely-must-virtualize-freenas-a-guide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright now that I have free time holy poo poo the OP needs a re-write. Let's do this.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Alright now that I have free time holy poo poo the OP needs a re-write. Let's do this.
smartos is awesome and deserving of mention.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

smartos is awesome and deserving of mention.

Not terribly familar with it but will look it up a bit

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Is the pricing for VMware Mirage pretty firm or is there a bit of wiggle room? I was very put off by retail but if it is possible for a education license at around half per seat I might bring it up as a future project. I know I could just ask VMware but since it is a nebulous thing I don't really want to waste my/their time.

I know for things like Workstation it is kind of firm.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Ask for it for free. I'm sure they'd be excited to have their first customer in a virtual environment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Quick question:
I've got vSphere up and running with a few VMs and everything's great.

I decided to try out Horizon and the file I got was in .ova format.
What am I supposed to use in order to get that thing going? I thought it was vCenter at first but I downloaded vCenter and it's an ova also.

Am I missing something dumb?

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ova is like an open virtualization format file. Basically its a zipped up template that you can load on to multiple hypervisors.

For ESX connect to your host with the vsphere client and choose file -> deploy ovf template. Browse to your file and it will launch a wizard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not sure if this is a SAN question or VMware question but I'll start here first.

We have a pair of NetApp FAS2020's, one in our office and one at the recovery site. We also have VMware servers at both locations.

We want to test a few things (mainly if our backup web server will talk to our backup database server) but I'm running into a problem: the two NetApps have a SnapMirror configured between the two of them with all of our VM datastores on them.

Of course, the SnapMirror at the recovery site is read-only. That means I can't break the mirror to fire up the VM's and test. I could, but we've got a 10mb link and there's like 3TB of crap so it'd take a month to get it copied back over, unless the SnapMirror is smart enough to not require that.

If I have some unallocated space, can I carve out 100GB or something on the recovery site NetApp and copy the two VM datastores I need from the SnapMirror, so I can play with those without having to re-create or re-sync the mirror?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
What's the general consensus on Xen vs VMware's price/features?

I have a coworker who discovered that the Free version of Xen offers many of the same options that the paid versions of VMware require a license for (HA/vMotion-esque transfers between hosts).

I'm mainly a VMware guy, and had hoped to get our company to start using it in our production environment, however the licensing costs required to use everything we want to use is quite high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general consensus on Xen vs VMware's price/features?

I have a coworker who discovered that the Free version of Xen offers many of the same options that the paid versions of VMware require a license for (HA/vMotion-esque transfers between hosts).

I'm mainly a VMware guy, and had hoped to get our company to start using it in our production environment, however the licensing costs required to use everything we want to use is quite high.

Xen or XenServer? Two different things.

Xen is an opensource hypervisor. XenServer is Citrix's implementation of Xen. About 5 months back or so Citrix decided to release XenServer entirely for free, just pay for support if you want it.

I am just finishing a XenServer to vSphere migration and let me tell you, I will not be missing out on XenServer.