Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thanks for the feedback everyone: I bought a QcK mini pad which should show up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Definitely cloth only for serious mouse pads. Their only weakness is that they need to be washed now and then. Their interaction with quality mouse feet is ideal - low, low friction and they'll never scratch 'em up.

kaschei posted:

I bought a func1030 hard mousepad a long, long time ago, and consider it a waste of money. It was hard to keep clean and rather small.
The original func1030 was loving excellent, its only weakness was that the smooth side goes bald eventually. It was a dream for ball mice.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 18, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MeruFM posted:

I like the razer goliathus speed pads. They're large and smooth and I use very low mouse sensitivity.
Got a large at work and an X-large at home. The x-large can hold an angled keyboard, a medium wacom, and still have plenty of space for the mouse.

Also they are laundry washer safe, i clean it every month or so.
Same, they work well enough for me. I think most mousepads are fine, but I think it's better to have a giant one that's larger than your mousing area. It's just really nice when you don't have to think about going over the edge of the mousepad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My current mousepad is a Knight Capital Group one that I snagged from a visit to the NYSE. I don't actually need a mousepad, but hell, it's history!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Looking at this thread I'm amazed how quickly people get through mice - I've had a Logitech G5s (the refreshed G5 with two side buttons) since at least 2008 and it still works very well - I've used it pretty much every day since then and the only real indication of its age is that the feet aren't in very good nick (using it for 5 years mostly on either a bare desk or a hard plastic mousepad I got for free will probably do that to a mouse though) but even then it's just they're a bit worn down and are peeling a bit on some of the edges. I was mulling over whether to buy another one but then I just ordered some new feet on ebay and a qck mousepad so I'm not dragging it over whatever grit/sandpaper I'm keeping on my computer desk.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've had an original Ratpadz for so long, I couldn't say when it was bought. Probably 2002 or something. It's bent due to many, many years of being used on an armrest (livin' like poo poo), where a cloth one would be hopeless to me.

Still, once I get a place with an actual desk, who knows what I'll get. Probably another Ratpadz simply because it's served me well for so goddamn long.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 19, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HalloKitty posted:

I've had an original Ratpadz for so long, I couldn't say when it was bought. Probably 2002 or something. It's bent due to many, many years of being used on an armrest (livin' like poo poo), where a cloth one would be hopeless to me.

Still, once I get a place with an actual desk, who knows what I'll get. Probably another Ratpadz simply because it's served me well for so goddamn long.

Yeah I'm a fan of Ratpadz since Everglide stopped making their hard attack pads. If it's bent you can usually just flex it the other way and it's hard to beat the longevity at 20 bucks. Mine's getting a little worn down in the mouse area but it doesn't seem to cause any issues so far. I sort of miss everglide because they had a sideways shaped pad, now I use the ratpadz sideways but it's a little big so a good chunk of it doesn't get used.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can you describe what you mean by "sideways shaped"?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I guess longer vertically than horizontally, with some kind of indentation at the bottom so that the orientation makes a difference

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TheQat posted:

I guess longer vertically than horizontally, with some kind of indentation at the bottom so that the orientation makes a difference

Yeah, exactly, the indentation on the everglide was for their wrist rest which I need or my fingers start to go numb. Since I replaced it with the ratpadz I just turned the wrist rest around and use the pad sideways.

Here's the everglide with the wrist rest (no longer how I use it, seems like it's flattened out but it used to fit perfectly a few years ago):

Here's the ratpadz sideways with the same one (how I use it now):

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I am looking for some opinions on a durable mouse. I currently do design work for an auto supplier and my usual problem is the mmb not functioning. It is a button that I use frequently and so far have had 3~4 Dell cheapo mice break, a Rat 7 and a m510 Logitech. Is there a mouse out there that is known for durability, especially the mmb?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
While we are still on mouse pads. I use a cutting mat typically used for arts and crafts. It has a good technical look but is also nice and heavy with a good flat surface. They also come in heaps of different styles. I would recommend them to anyone.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

BrassRoots posted:

While we are still on mouse pads. I use a cutting mat typically used for arts and crafts. It has a good technical look but is also nice and heavy with a good flat surface. They also come in heaps of different styles. I would recommend them to anyone.

That's what I use! It's hell on the wrist when I get lazy, though.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse for 8 years and it's been a hell of a good mouse. It's only just developed a fault with a sticky middle button, so I was thinking of getting a new one but I can't find the same one to buy. Suppose I'd better join the present and get a Logitech G400s or something.

All these years though I've been using it straight onto a wooden desk with no mousemat. Is a mousemat really important?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Konsek posted:

I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse for 8 years and it's been a hell of a good mouse. It's only just developed a fault with a sticky middle button, so I was thinking of getting a new one but I can't find the same one to buy. Suppose I'd better join the present and get a Logitech G400s or something.

All these years though I've been using it straight onto a wooden desk with no mousemat. Is a mousemat really important?

It's not as big of a deal since mice lost their balls, but it does keep the table from wearing. Some folks also use surfaces that don't track well (uniform and glossy, glass, etc).

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
I'm looking to replace my increasingly dysfunctional generi-mouse and have found myself overwhelmed by the insane variety of gaming mice and their features so I'm hoping for a suggestion.

I'm a claw-type mouser and my favorite mouse ever is probably the Intellimouse 2.0 in terms of shape and I'm simply hoping to click on the heads of people effectively.

In the ideal world, this mouse would be wireless/corded but I'm may settle on a corded mouse with a decent feature set and reliability and just buy a cheapo wireless mouse for couch use. I'd also like to get something that isn't going to fall apart after a year of heavy use so, by most accounts, Razer is mostly out.

I've been eyeing that Tt Level 10m mouse now that it has dropped to 57 at newegg or the Corsair m65, their aluminum body construction is very alluring. Have you folks got any other suggestions?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Mother didn't get dad anything for Christmas so now I'm looking for a mouse for him. I was going to go with Logitech since I've had good luck with them in the past (I've had a M 510 for several years now), but recent posts don't seem to be as enthused about the brand as they have been in the past. Dad's familiar with the brand though. It has to be wireless and it has to be big enough for his giant man hands. He doesn't need anything fancy, just reliable.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

This mouse has lots of positive reviews. Any one here used it before?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Logitech M305 is an awesome portable mouse, I use it as my main I like it so much, for Starcraft too. Bought an M325 and it couldn't come close. Grab one if you need one for your laptop. The dongle's are re-programmable too with a really easy applet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looks like there's a new Version 2 of the Steelseries Kana. They have stepped up to the A3090 sensor on this one and changed the surface material, and looks like they might have switched to proper Teflon feet, among other things. Looks good, but it seems they still might have the same old problematic mouse wheel cover thing. Wonder if they at least have it better attached this time or not.

Anyway, it might be one worth picking up for anyone looking to buy a gaming mouse. I just picked the Zowie FK myself, liking it so far, but I feel like the default DPI (450) is just a hair too low for my tastes. Shame the DPI toggle is on the bottom too. I still much prefer the layout of the buttons 4/5 on the Kana as well, but these ones are definitely better than the Kova+, easier to hit and a little larger. Now to give it a good year worth of wear and see how it holds up.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 28, 2013

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011
I got a Steel Series Ikari mouse from QuakeCon.. 2003/2004/2005.. I think? And it lasted about 5 years. And I'm not too gentle on my mice. It regularly got thrown, and beat against my desk. I haven't really gamed for a while, so that's all the input I can give on the situation. But I do like the look of the RAT mice. I'm not into wireless mice for PC gaming. It's just one of those things for me.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jototo posted:

This mouse has lots of positive reviews. Any one here used it before?

I currently use that mouse and have for months. I even reviewed that on Amazon :)

I love it personally as it is wired and VERY receptive. Use it for both general PC use and playing everything from first person shooters to MOBAs. It is nice to be able to control sensitivity with one button push when you are going from playing Assault to Recon in BF4. The only qualm I have with the mouse is the rubber "slide" grip where your thumb goes...it holds all kinds of grime and nasty crap while the other side is smooth and just feels dirty/greasy all the time. Some window cleaner once a month fixes it but it still bothers me some.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Any decent updates for this?

Back/forward buttons that don't require contortion. With this the thumb and ring finger rest comfortably on the buttons so its just a slight depression to activate, not a readjustment.
Every mouse i see in stores have tiny side buttons that surely have to give rsi in the thumb joint. e.g look at the logitechs buttons a few posts above.

nimh fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Try the Steelseries Kana v2 maybe? http://shop.steelseries.com/en/mice/steelseries-kana-v2-mouse.html

Big side flippers, very easy to hit when you want but you won't mash them by accident. Good sensor.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I bought a new Logitech m705 Marathon mouse today (getting tough to find) since my old one broke and it's by far the best $50 mouse I've ever used.

I'd like to be able to use the new mouse with my old logitech receiver so I can leave the receivers plugged in to both laptop and desktop and just use the mouse where I need it. How do I link the old reciever with new mouse?

Edit: Downloaded their control panel software and linked mouse with old receiver. Problem is, once I do so it no longer links with other one. Is there really no way to pair one mouse with multiple receivers?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 30, 2013

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I've had a Steelseries SX (the aluminum one) since 2008, but it's finally too scratched up to use anymore. Should I get a 4HD or QcK? Before the SX, I used an Icemat, so I'm used to using hard surfaces with low friction. I use a left handed Deathadder with low sensitivity and spill drinks all the time. Any recommendations?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I bought a QcK and it works fine. No complaints.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nimh posted:

Any decent updates for this?
Zowie AM and Zowie FK are decent updates. The AM keeps the same lovely dome shape while the FK makes it much more comfortable to lift.

Not sure about side buttons, because having no side buttons is a plus to me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I have a logitech G5 I want to replace. I like the tracking and form factor of the G5. After years of use, my only complaint is that the middle mouse button (the 'wheel') is hard to click. Sometimes when I'm trying to click, it rotates instead. Or it will be hard to tell how much pressure to use to click. It just doesn't feel right.

What wired gaming mouse has the best middle mouse button? Anyone love their middle mouse button?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I like my G700's wheel, it's easy to click and it toggles between clicky and smooth scrolling, but it's only semi-wired

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I like my G700's wheel, it's easy to click and it toggles between clicky and smooth scrolling, but it's only semi-wired

It works just as well wired, I leave mine plugged in a lot, especially when gaming. Wheel is pretty solid too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Khorne posted:

Zowie AM and Zowie FK are decent updates. The AM keeps the same lovely dome shape while the FK makes it much more comfortable to lift.

Not sure about side buttons, because having no side buttons is a plus to me.

FK's side buttons are small but fairly easy to press. The rear side button is in a good place, but the front ones are too far forward as normal. Another problem is that only half of them are usable, the offhand side buttons are never enabled. Not bad, but could be better.

Kana has the best side buttons I've used on a mouse, but I haven't tried the new V2 to see how the mousewheel is on that yet.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I been using a Deathadder 2013 for a few months as I won it in a raffle. All I can say is that Razer needs to fire whoever is in their R&D department because the design choices on this thing is terrible.

My biggest gripe is the rubber side grips. They seems like a cool aesthetic idea and it is a improvement than the glossy dirt magnet sides of the older Deathadders, but my thumb and pinky fingers feel like they are going to slip off the mouse at any time. It doesn't help that they get moist on contact with the sides and slide out of my hand I lift the mouse for more than 3 seconds with any grip. Why couldn't they use the matte material on the top of the mouse with the sides? It keeps the fingers dry and it feels so much better than rubber grips.

Worse of all is the mouse wheel. When will Razer take money out of their 2000s marketing scheme and put it into making a mouse wheel that isn't a massive piece of garbage? I like the size and feel of the wheel, but it only picks up a forward scroll every 3-5 movements. Middle clicks are now making crunching noises. This is also coupled with Synapse 2.0 deciding that my mouse doesn't exist and having me plug into a new usb port every week or so. I knew that they were trying to make the mice more affordable but they feel so cheap with the materials and features they have tacked on them.

I went back to the Logitech G500s I had stopped using due to the firmware issue and I put the Deathadder in the drawer after a few hours. I never understand why people put up with the Deathadder's build flaws or hype up the sensor as the golden standard for gaming. I found to be much more accurate in CS:GO and TF2 with the g500s when I got the weights perfected and the DPI set up properly.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I been using a Deathadder 2013 for a few months as I won it in a raffle. All I can say is that Razer needs to fire whoever is in their R&D department because the design choices on this thing is terrible.

My biggest gripe is the rubber side grips. They seems like a cool aesthetic idea and it is a improvement than the glossy dirt magnet sides of the older Deathadders, but my thumb and pinky fingers feel like they are going to slip off the mouse at any time. It doesn't help that they get moist on contact with the sides and slide out of my hand I lift the mouse for more than 3 seconds with any grip. Why couldn't they use the matte material on the top of the mouse with the sides? It keeps the fingers dry and it feels so much better than rubber grips.

Worse of all is the mouse wheel. When will Razer take money out of their 2000s marketing scheme and put it into making a mouse wheel that isn't a massive piece of garbage? I like the size and feel of the wheel, but it only picks up a forward scroll every 3-5 movements. Middle clicks are now making crunching noises. This is also coupled with Synapse 2.0 deciding that my mouse doesn't exist and having me plug into a new usb port every week or so. I knew that they were trying to make the mice more affordable but they feel so cheap with the materials and features they have tacked on them.

I went back to the Logitech G500s I had stopped using due to the firmware issue and I put the Deathadder in the drawer after a few hours. I never understand why people put up with the Deathadder's build flaws or hype up the sensor as the golden standard for gaming. I found to be much more accurate in CS:GO and TF2 with the g500s when I got the weights perfected and the DPI set up properly.

It sounds like you completely hate it, but the Deathadder 2013 Black Edition does not have the rubber grips and seems to have the same matte material all the way around. I agree that the mouse wheel is a pile of garbage. I've had like zero issues with Synapse which was seemed to be one of the big Razer complaints from people.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Worse of all is the mouse wheel. When will Razer take money out of their 2000s marketing scheme and put it into making a mouse wheel that isn't a massive piece of garbage? I like the size and feel of the wheel, but it only picks up a forward scroll every 3-5 movements. Middle clicks are now making crunching noises.

Interestingly, the mouse wheel on the Naga 2014 is great, very well weighted, with good feedback. It sounds to me like you have some muck in there (I had the same problem with the G700 mousewheel) so you might want to blow some air down there.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Holy moly is my Zowie FK's sensor completely hosed. This is the result of me trying to draw diagonal lines. Constantly waggling and going off in random directions. This is after a WEEK of use. Tried all polling rates and DPIs, all cause varying degrees of the same problem. And no, it isn't crammed full of cat hair or anything!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
have you tried it on more than one surface?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yup, tried it on a Steelseries QCK and Razer Goliathus and had the same effect on both (though it was more apparent on the QCK). Even tried it on 2 computers.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Zowie's sensor works best with solid matte black, but that's nuts. You must have a defective unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Holy moly is my Zowie FK's sensor completely hosed. This is the result of me trying to draw diagonal lines. Constantly waggling and going off in random directions. This is after a WEEK of use. Tried all polling rates and DPIs, all cause varying degrees of the same problem. And no, it isn't crammed full of cat hair or anything!

This is about the large uneven parts at the top of the lines, right? Because I always assumed that it was normal for handdrawn lines to be somewhat jagged and veer a bit of. :confused:

(Comparison of my Zowie)