Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Stunned Mac didn't make a "Lords on benefits" joke, I would've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Meanwhile the Eastern Daily Press has decided that racism is the answer

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

"Do you hate migrants enough already?"

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 19, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Meanwhile the Eastern Daily Press has decided that racism is the answer

I can't find the fox and the badger...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Foxtail on the pot and I believe the badger is the grey smudge with line on the girl's sweater.

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
What event is the Independent cartoon with Miliband and Cameron playing the "Race Card" referring to?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cliff Racer posted:

Foxtail on the pot and I believe the badger is the grey smudge with line on the girl's sweater.

Nah, badger is out the window next to the speakers right arm.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

newsjiffy posted:

What event is the Independent cartoon with Miliband and Cameron playing the "Race Card" referring to?

The last card played in the game was an EU migrant, so I think it's referring to the tightened social security restrictions some of the other cartoons were referencing.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Gibson report on rendition - Dozens of questions about the UK's involvement in the rendition and torture of terrorism suspects after 9/11 remain unanswered, official inquiry has concluded"

Telegraph:

Top general warns over 'hollowed-out' armed forces

Independent:

Express:

:ducksiren: Prince Harry sports a ginger bushy beard as he visits South Pole research centre :ducksiren:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

The way the Palace staff keep the royals up to date with family events is by placing small picture frames under pianos around the building with relevant headlines scrawled on them in a childish typeface.

Not a lot of people know that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

The way the Palace staff keep the royals up to date with family events is by placing small picture frames under pianos around the building with relevant headlines scrawled on them in a childish typeface.

Not a lot of people know that.
You'd think they'd at least put them on top of the piano along with the birds trapped in hellish shadow dimensions.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Not only he is a racist but he is also a beard shaming rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
It's a pity Paul Thomas is such a racist poo poo, I like the style his comics are in.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The second annual Gay Abortions Awards for the worst political cartoons are taking nominations. We didn't have many UK entries last year, join the fun and show us the worst from this thread.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The second annual Gay Abortions Awards for the worst political cartoons are taking nominations. We didn't have many UK entries last year, join the fun and show us the worst from this thread.

Thanks for the link. I see that Eastern Daily Press cartoon about the Chinese Space Agency has already been nominated for Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Mikhail Khodorkovsky – Russia's former richest man reportedly flying to Berlin after leaving prison camp following pardon from Vladimir Putin"

Telegraph:

BBC criticised for giving extremist preacher Anjem Choudary airtime

Independent:

After Brughel.

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 21, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'll have a go at trying to add some daily mail / daily express cartoons. Been out of the loop of the US cartoon thread for two years or so, so may just be Brit ones I'll post. :(

It's hard though as twerkgate wasn't covered over here, obamacare kind of gone and went (and was more UK centric back when Republicans were attacking the NHS claiming thats how obamacare would turn into) and nothing for Martin/Zimmerman. :smith:

But will post the ones that I think fit!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 21, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Just post some of the legitimately terrible Macs.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Just post some of the legitimately terrible Macs.

I think it's just 2013 related, I've been looking through them and compared to some of the US ones it doesn't cut it (for 2013) atleast the ones I've came across. However if it was all round:

quote:

'Isn't that romantic, George, dear? Mr and Mr Smith would like the bridal suite.'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mac seems to have mellowed/lost his game (whichever way you want to look at it) - it's more like general lovely portrayals of poor people these days, and sometimes he even hits on something Correct. Thomas is the reigning shithead for sure, just not in any remotely clever or talented way

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

baka kaba posted:

Mac seems to have mellowed/lost his game (whichever way you want to look at it) - it's more like general lovely portrayals of poor people these days, and sometimes he even hits on something Correct. Thomas is the reigning shithead for sure, just not in any remotely clever or talented way

Mac's weird.
He's mellowed now but he still hates the poors, yet also hates bankers and fat cats.
There was one about Bankers or Energy companies that I did go :drat: for.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

I think it's the food bank debate.

Sunday Telegraph:

Labour: We must 'do God’ to fight anti-Christian persecution

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on seasonal immigration – David Cameron and his team at the ready in case Santa turns out to be Bulgarian"

Telegraph:

Wind and rain could disrupt Christmas travel in some areas

Independent:

75,000 cap on EU migrants will not happen, says Vince Cable

Express:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
When did the Express guy last do a comic that wasn't

a) Immigrants! :supaburn:
b) Royals
c) Weather

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Spalec posted:

When did the Express guy last do a comic that wasn't

a) Immigrants! :supaburn:
b) Royals
c) Weather

Last Wednesday. Although before that it was the 10th.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

the Express is loving hilarious

its beautiful parody

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Everyone should check the source as it's the best painting. The cartoon needs more corpses though. Like, a hundred more at least.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mac's weird.
He's mellowed now but he still hates the poors, yet also hates bankers and fat cats.

It's really weird that he falls exactly in step with the Daily Mail's editorial line. Bizarre.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

Tory MP: Vince Cable should quit after Enoch Powell reference

Independent:

Express:

Merry Christmas to you all.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Why not just go whole hog and suggest that the foreigners are going to force the Queen to speak a dirty Slavic language and that next year the subtitles will be in English? At least then you actually have a legitimate never going to happen grievance instead of a never going to happen mild inconvenience.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

What next, German royals?!

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

What next, German royals?!

It's even worse, they are Romanians! http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vlad-the-impaler-how-is-prince-charles-queen-elizabeth-related-to-him/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

The heir to the British throne said genealogy shows that he is related to Vlad, giving him a stake in the future of Romania.

:buddy:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the 'big society' - David Cameron used his Christmas message to try to revive his theme of the big society"

Telegraph:

Thousands hit by floods and power cuts at Christmas

Independent:

Nick Clegg wants boxing gloves for Christmas

Tuesday's Mail:
"Vince Cable has accused David Cameron of panicking over the imminent arrival of immigrants from Rumania[sic] and Bulgaria."

quote:

“Great news, everyone. Vince Cable says don’t panic.”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cloud Potato posted:

96200"]Nick Clegg wants boxing gloves for Christmas[/url]

Tuesday's Mail:
"Vince Cable has accused David Cameron of panicking over the imminent arrival of immigrants from Rumania[sic] and Bulgaria."

I don't even understand that poo poo, immigrants gonna eat us?

VVVVVVV: "panicking like a turkey"? English's not my first language so :v:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do you not understand metaphors in general? How's that impact your day-to-day life?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So does anyone actually like the "Big Society" stuff? It seems to me that conservatives would hate the very idea of it and leftwingers would think it a crock when coming out of the mouth of Cameron. Does it just appeal to stupid people without a firm opinion on issues or the role of government?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

So does anyone actually like the "Big Society" stuff? It seems to me that conservatives would hate the very idea of it and leftwingers would think it a crock when coming out of the mouth of Cameron. Does it just appeal to stupid people without a firm opinion on issues or the role of government?

I'm always astonished at the levels of insincerity in British politics. It always seems like they're laughing right at you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cliff Racer posted:

I haven't heard anyone talk about it, except Cameron and then the news when they report whatever he's said and frame their entire narrative around it.

I think conservatives are fine with it since it basically boils down to Small Government 'you're on your own' bollocks. Same as the 'welfare should be replaced by voluntary charity' argument. It's just cover for destroying the public sector and slashing the welfare system to ribbons, and pretending the effects of austerity are some natural phenomenon for communities to deal with - so yeah, it really is like patronising mockery (if there's any doubt, watch the Tories in parliament)

Kurtofan posted:

I don't even understand that poo poo, immigrants gonna eat us?

VVVVVVV: "panicking like a turkey"? English's not my first language so :v:

It's just a joke about Vince Cable telling people everything's going to be fine when they're facing A TERRIBLE REALITY. The turkeys are going to be Christmas dinner no matter what, and British people are going to be rargh blargh immigrant hordes blurrh GYARGH

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 27, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cliff Racer posted:

"Big Society" is really just what we used to have back in the day when people helped each other out more and took more pride in their communities. The reason it's poo poo is because the government took over those responsibilities because they felt local communities shouldn't have to put themselves out in that way, and the reason the Thatcherites are ultra-poo poo for wanting us to go back to those days is because their ethos precludes giving anything back.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron and the Boxing Day hunt - About 260 hunts rode out on the annual Boxing Day event on Thursday"

Independent:

Scottish independence: SNP vows to scrap marriage tax breaks

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mac's weird.
He's super middle class, or at least trying to appeal to a readership that is, or likes to think it is. So poor people are poor through laziness or bad character, and are therefore deserving of scorn. The super rich got where they are by extorting the hard-working middle classes who hold this country together, and are therefore also deserving of scorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

"Big Society" is really just what we used to have back in the day when people helped each other out more and took more pride in their communities. The reason it's poo poo is because the government took over those responsibilities because they felt local communities shouldn't have to put themselves out in that way, and the reason the Thatcherites are ultra-poo poo for wanting us to go back to those days is because their ethos precludes giving anything back.

It's a broad concept though, because community involvement and solidarity goes all the way to communism. The key part with the Tories is the outright severance of the parts of the state that work with this - the inflows of taxation etc. are still there, but the return flow of reinvestment and the work of the public sector is being cut off.

Even local government is being prevented from doing anything about it, with budgets cut, mandated tax freezes, orders from above about spending money on weekly bin collections and so on. It's the usual small-government approach which just means small in the areas the Tories hate (welfare, access to justice for the poors, any public services that a private company could be making a profit on), and absolutely strong government elsewhere to protect that system.

The whole thing could be part of a wider communal society with local participation and democracy, with a broader organisational system to help coordinate everything and provide a solid foundation. Instead it's just an excuse to tell people they need to fend for themselves, because this government gives no fucks about what happens to them. Its priorities lie on the the other side of the gates

• Locked thread