Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions for an app that can control the flash on a phone to a specific brightness? Like a flash-light app but with much finer control (to lower levels of brightness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm using LightFlow on a Galaxy S3, and since I updated to CM 10.2/Android 4.3 I've been having random issues crop up. Notification light not turning off properly, incorrect light colors, the light coming on for no reason at all...
4.4 is kind of different because of the combined message store so it's not what he's having. Does TouchWiz have the notification setting in global their global settings? That would cause your issues.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tunga posted:

How would my phone know whether your phone is currently able to receive a data message?

The same way google does it now - a periodic heartbeat ping. You can spot when it doesn't get through on a connection that's firewalled to gently caress - you stop getting new email pushed to you, but you can still manually refresh and your wireless notification changes colour (on a nexus 7, anyhow)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Cruseydr posted:

This certainly seems to be how they do it, based on problems people have when they go from an iPhone to a non-iPhone.

This happened to me. My brother in law can't text me on my android phone now. Any time he sends me a message it comes to my iPad. Which is REALLY annoying because I tend to miss a lot from him simply because I don't regularly check my iPad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rotaryfun posted:

This happened to me. My brother in law can't text me on my android phone now. Any time he sends me a message it comes to my iPad. Which is REALLY annoying because I tend to miss a lot from him simply because I don't regularly check my iPad.

If you still have an iPad you can fix this, do you want help?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I would love the help. I used to have and iphone so that's when I started with imessage. Now I guess it thinks I want all my texts to come to my iPad.

iPad is at home but I do still have it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rotaryfun posted:

I would love the help. I used to have and iphone so that's when I started with imessage. Now I guess it thinks I want all my texts to come to my iPad.

iPad is at home but I do still have it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5185

quote:

Apple says it's easy:

Symptoms

This article will provide assistance if you're experiencing any of the following symptoms:

You are unable to receive SMS on your non-Apple device when sent from another person using an iPhone.
You are unable to send SMS to a non-Apple device because they are sent as an iMessage.
Resolution

If you are experiencing one of the symptoms above, the cellular phone number may still be registered with iMessage.

iMessage is registered with your cellular telephone number when you turn it on with your iPhone. If you want to deregister your phone number:

Tap Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off
If you still cannot deactivate iMessage after you perform the steps above, or if you no longer have access to the iPhone, please contact Apple support for assistance.

Some people I know had to end up calling Apple even after trying to deactivate it on their device, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nyah, the update to Battery Widget ditched the shapeless battery percentage option. Now it's either the dumb circle or a battery shape. Sigh.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I need a vault to lock up all the photographic documentation I keep of my sex life flask-loving. Something that will move stuff out of the DCIM folder into an encrypted location and then offer it for convenient perusal when I give it the password.

It would be cool if there were a port of truecrypt for android, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eikre posted:

I need a vault to lock up all the photographic documentation I keep of my sex life flask-loving. Something that will move stuff out of the DCIM folder into an encrypted location and then offer it for convenient perusal when I give it the password.

It would be cool if there were a port of truecrypt for android, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

The Frost (formerly Beaver) browser (I think it was goon-developed) lets you move pix into a hidden file storage scheme.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a way I can get an "other calendar" (on google calendar) to alert me through Google Now? I have my work schedule added, but Google Now seems totally unaware of it. I want it to show me travel times and such again :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Is there a way I can get an "other calendar" (on google calendar) to alert me through Google Now? I have my work schedule added, but Google Now seems totally unaware of it. I want it to show me travel times and such again :(
The travel times are unrelated to the Calendar portion and completely dependent on actual travel at regular times. Google Now shows me every event from all calendars on my Calendar, including shared ones and ones I don't own. If you want Now to treat your work schedule as a Calendar event, including travel times to and from just make sure the work schedule calendar is synced to your device in the Calendar app and that each event has an address on it and it should just work.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Recently I've been seeing uploads in Instagram that has 3 or more split screen still images and a video. Does anyone know the name of that app?

edit - PicPlayPost but only for iOS. Awww.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 21, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm using Feedly. I like Feedly. I hear good things about Press. Convince me why I should switch...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

XIII posted:

I'm using Feedly. I like Feedly. I hear good things about Press. Convince me why I should switch...

I have this same question, Press looks good. But I just finished importing everything into Feedly from GReader.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sooooo does anyone know how to switch accounts on the YouTube app? I've had a separate 'tube account since forever, I didn't merge it into my Google account when they started bothering me about that, and suddenly the app is signed in as my Google account and all my subscriptions, history and uploads are obviously not there.

The swipe-in menu has my Google account name at the top so it seems like it's at least able to use different accounts, and my old one was signed in until like a week ago. Little help?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Gyshall posted:

I have this same question, Press looks good. But I just finished importing everything into Feedly from GReader.

I've never used feedly, so I can't say how press is better, but press pulls it's feeds from feedly, so trying it out would be super easy for you.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Disharmony posted:

Recently I've been seeing uploads in Instagram that has 3 or more split screen still images and a video. Does anyone know the name of that app?

edit - PicPlayPost but only for iOS. Awww.

I used Photo Grid and it works great. I also use the A Beautiful Mess app that they finally brought over to Android (like 4 months after they said they would) but for collages photo grid is a thousand times better.

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 21, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Had a little crash recently where I've had to re add all my widgets.
Not a big deal, perhaps a little spergy - But before the crash I had a deskclock widget on my home screen with a semi transparent background while the lock screen version had a fully transparent background.

Now I can only have them both as one or the other, I can't seem to change the settings individually.

Did I get lucky somehow before? Or am I missing something obvious now?
I probably have installed a few dashclock updates since the widgets were first made, has there been a feature change?

e: vvv bummer.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 21, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MeKeV posted:

Had a little crash recently where I've had to re add all my widgets.
Not a big deal, perhaps a little spergy - But before the crash I had a deskclock widget on my home screen with a semi transparent background while the lock screen version had a fully transparent background.

Now I can only have them both as one or the other, I can't seem to change the settings individually.

Did I get lucky somehow before? Or am I missing something obvious now?
I probably have installed a few dashclock updates since the widgets were first made, has there been a feature change?
You must have been lucky before as I've never seen a way to have two DashClock widgets with different settings.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I was forced to stop using Hangouts for SMS on my Nexus 5 because it still can't seem to handle MMS in any way, despite the multiple updates that claim to address the issue. And my friends all refuse to move their picture messaging to Hangouts proper or FB Messenger.

Getting real sick of your poo poo, Google.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Apologies if this has come up been mentioned before, but there were 1000+ posts since I last read the thread and gently caress reading through all that.

My S3 just updated (to what I presume is the latest version of Android? I wasn't really paying attention). I use Widgetlocker as a lock screen. Before the update, if I got a notification, I could pull down the notification bar, and it would effectively unlock the phone. For example, if I got a text, I could pull it down, read/go straight to the text, no problems. Since the update, however, it leaves the Widgetlocker overlay covering the screen. I've had a quick look in the options but I couldn't see anything. Anyone have any ideas?

I'll edit this post with a screenshot later, not at my actual PC right now.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

ilysespieces posted:

I used Photo Grid and it works great. I also use the A Beautiful Mess app that they finally brought over to Android (like 4 months after they said they would) but for collages photo grid is a thousand times better.

I was referring to a photo grid that has a video as part of the grid kinda like this one:

But still, thanks for the tip because there's like a million photo grid apps out there and this one looks like it's the best of the bunch.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Anyone know of a good widget for a volume slider? Everything I've found either has an ugly widget or is extremely tiny. Being able to have at least a 2x2 widget for this would be nice.

Also, what's the best way to go about making a replacement for the clock on my nightstand? Ideally I'd set my tablet down, plug it in then have the screen display the time, date, alarm, etc in a huge font that I can read in my half-asleep daze.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This is kind of a generic Google question rather than an Android one per se, but is there any way in a Hangout with two other people to have both of them are showing at once in split screens? All I could get it to do was switch between them based on who was loudest at the moment (or clicking on the). I could have sworn the split-screen used to be an option, but I couldn't figure it out, even after some googling.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SMP posted:

Also, what's the best way to go about making a replacement for the clock on my nightstand? Ideally I'd set my tablet down, plug it in then have the screen display the time, date, alarm, etc in a huge font that I can read in my half-asleep daze.

Stock clock has a Night Mode in the menu. If you look at Daydreams (in the Display part of the main Settings stuff) you can use different poo poo and have it automatically start when you dock or connect a charger. Dashclock works in here too, but you may want to look around for some other apps/widgets that fit the style and size you want, and all the info you're looking for

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

XIII posted:

Press is good, it has built-in mobilizer support so you can double tap an rss feed item to read the whole thing in readability/instapaper view, which was the main thing I missed when using the Feedly app. Press is the closest thing Android has to iOS' Reeder app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MeKeV posted:

But before the crash I had a deskclock widget on my home screen with a semi transparent background while the lock screen version had a fully transparent background.

I don't know what kind of bizarro-version LastInLine is using but this option is literally a thing that is is right there in the DashClock settings screen.

Edit: And just to be clear, yes, it works.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 22, 2013

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Disharmony posted:

I was referring to a photo grid that has a video as part of the grid kinda like this one:

But still, thanks for the tip because there's like a million photo grid apps out there and this one looks like it's the best of the bunch.

Ahh, totally missed the video part, sorry. I've got no clue, I only use the grid aspect for pictures. If you find one post it back here, now I'm interested.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I don't know what kind of bizarro-version LastInLine is using but this option is literally a thing that is is right there in the DashClock settings screen.

You got me there. In my defense when I looked into it I was looking to have different extensions and a different order for them for the homescreen versus the lockscreen rather than transparency. I just assumed since it couldn't handle one it couldn't do the other. Sorry. :blush:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Does anyone know what's going on with the Kindle app anyways? I can't get it to launch and looking at the recent reviews it looks like everyone else is having problems too. (CM10 here).

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Can I get the badges from Go Launcher Ex Notifications to work with Textra, K-9 or other third party SMS/email apps as opposed to the stock messenger/email service? If not, is there any other app that provides the same IOS-style badges in the dock?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Disharmony posted:

Can I get the badges from Go Launcher Ex Notifications to work with Textra, K-9 or other third party SMS/email apps as opposed to the stock messenger/email service? If not, is there any other app that provides the same IOS-style badges in the dock?

They work with Nova, or at least Textra does. Haven't tried K-9 but I wouldn't be surprised if that works, too. And the badges are pretty customizable.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Tunga posted:

Weird, mine isn't showing up like that.

But.... I've just added a second dashclock lock screen widget which came in as transparent, so I just deleted the other one and it all seems OK now, though my settings still don't look like that.

I'm not going to worry about it now though!
Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MeKeV posted:

Weird, mine isn't showing up like that.

But.... I've just added a second dashclock lock screen widget which came in as transparent, so I just deleted the other one and it all seems OK now, though my settings still don't look like that.

I'm not going to worry about it now though!
Thanks.
Just so you don't think you're crazy, my Advanced screen looks just like yours. I don't have any of the options Tunga mentioned.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turns out it's me running the bizarro version!

I'm in the DashClock beta group on G+ so it's probably that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geektox posted:

I thought iMessage decides whether to send as data or SMS based purely on if that person has a number attached to their Apple account? Like if I associated my number with iMessage all further messages I get from iOS users will be data messages regardless of my own data connectivity?

I think Hangouts was supposed to this. But currently currently it holds two separate conversations for chat and SMS. Rumors are that Google will integrate Voice into Hangouts around May, perhaps it will all work then. Or perhaps Google will be Google and we will never hear about Hangouts again, until they launch a competing product in the same category and call it like Chromechat or something.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

The travel times are unrelated to the Calendar portion and completely dependent on actual travel at regular times. Google Now shows me every event from all calendars on my Calendar, including shared ones and ones I don't own. If you want Now to treat your work schedule as a Calendar event, including travel times to and from just make sure the work schedule calendar is synced to your device in the Calendar app and that each event has an address on it and it should just work.

I have a Home and Work address set in Maps, and an address (which is the same as the Maps Work address) on each event. The calendar is synced on the device. Google Now never mentions travel times, never seems to know that work is upcoming (or ending soon), nothing. Could it be because I live in one state and work in another? I would just like Now to even recognize that work is a place I go sometimes, at this point.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

I have a Home and Work address set in Maps, and an address (which is the same as the Maps Work address) on each event. The calendar is synced on the device. Google Now never mentions travel times, never seems to know that work is upcoming (or ending soon), nothing. Could it be because I live in one state and work in another? I would just like Now to even recognize that work is a place I go sometimes, at this point.
My wife works in another state and has correct travel times. I don't know what your problem is, like I said it just works for me with work (and did for the couple years before MyMapMaker accepted my work as a thing that exists in Google Maps) and all my Calendar events give me travel information if I have an address in there. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you because it sounds like you've got everything set up right. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

My wife works in another state and has correct travel times. I don't know what your problem is, like I said it just works for me with work (and did for the couple years before MyMapMaker accepted my work as a thing that exists in Google Maps) and all my Calendar events give me travel information if I have an address in there. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you because it sounds like you've got everything set up right. :shrug:
I think I may have figured it out. The work calendar comes from the site wheniwork.com and it includes the position in the address field. So it says "shift as <position> @ <position> <address>". Clicking on the "map" button in the event still takes me to the right place, but maybe that's throwing it off enough.

I've copied a shift to my own calendar and edited the location to see if it works, but hell if I'm going to do that for every single shift. Maybe I'll see if I can get it changed in the actual calendar feed itself.

• Locked thread