Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
It's not as interesting as Terraria's Hell, it's just lava everywhere and nothing to mine until you fill in the lava, then ore appears in the stone you place. There's no Lava Chests or anything, I wouldn't bother at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can fill it in with dirt and find ore too. That's what I do with mine to get rid of some of those 1000 stacks.

E:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 19, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Babe Magnet posted:

You can fill it in with dirt and find ore too. That's what I do with mine to get rid of some of those 1000 stacks.

E:

This is perfect.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is perfect.

Fix "run it to it's fuel limit" to state "run it to its fuel limit" and then it will be perfect.

Fake Edit: :goonsay:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tykero posted:

Fix "run it to it's fuel limit" to state "run it to its fuel limit" and then it will be perfect.

Fake Edit: :goonsay:

http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html

:goonsay: x2

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MrQwerty posted:

I want to play a game before release and I want to pay pennies on the euro for it!

Bartwe (coder) is streaming right now and just floated the idea of a special for the holiday sale with an increased price. Let's keep our fingers crossed! :allears:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

I don't understand how people can need a website to tell them the difference.

Fatigue from hours of :krad: sprite work causing a typo is a fair excuse, though.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Tykero posted:

I don't understand how people can need a website to tell them the difference.

Fatigue from hours of :krad: sprite work causing a typo is a fair excuse, though.

It's because not everyone is as smaht as you.

Can't wait to try out this race!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Going back a ways, I think it's clear the best home planet would be a minimum-size low tier planet. It's safer for you, your visitors, and your spawned NPCs. It makes it easy to harvest the all-Tier special loot table drops, like brains, meat, and leather. Lower danger means it's easier to expand and not have to tear your way through dangerous enemies. Being in an early sector also means you can start settling there as soon as you've found it, without having to wait until literally the endgame to start building a base, which could have been really helpful earlier on. A small planet size means looping around is easy, getting too far away is hard, and terraforming on a large scale is relatively not so large

I have noticed that in some ways, your ship seems to stay loaded, even when not on it. Crops certainly seem to grow faster and more reliably on it, even long-term ones like carrots. I wonder what affects this. If this is indeed the case, I'll mostly have to turn my ship (especially once the ship becomes expandable) into a floating hydroponics lab, growing as many crops as possible on it, while stocking only a few fundamental storage and crafting units on it for portable functionality.
Flying farm VS grounded base.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Nyyen posted:

I agree with this as well. Since it's already reclining, putting it on the roof looking forwards, but with the feet towards the front of the ship would give a better profile. As it stands, it seems weird to have a collosal statue leaning off the front of the ship giving it a very un-shiplike profile.

I tend to enjoy the figurehead being big because it's hilariously ostentatious, but I can understand the calls to maybe make it a little smaller. I think it's definitely pointed the right way, though. Not only is it reminiscent of Roman ship design, most ship figureheads tend to lean out from the bow, and it sends a message of "look how loving sweet we are would you like some Roman Bug Booze" which is perfect.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Babe Magnet posted:

The face being simple compared to rest of the body is just something I thought was funny so I left it in, but I can see how it'd bug people so I'll definitely go in and rework it.
Heh

Bug people

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, this is much easier so far. Then again, its just tracing. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 20, 2013

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
I hope the devs or some modder create an easy to use editor like the one from the elder scrolls games that allows the less modding-savvy players to hand craft a planet and the NPC's and creatures on it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hmm, I'm starting to think too much of it will be covered up by the interior for it to look good. Those are 6 block tall decks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The mod section of the official forums is not TOO bad, I mean you get gems like this on occasion.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Put my respawn animation for my own race into the floran folder to see how it looks like. Just needs minor fixing. Pretty pleased with it.

But how do I add my race to the game properly? I edited client.config and universe_server.config. What else to config other than files inside folders of assets?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Doggboat posted:

Put my respawn animation for my own race into the floran folder to see how it looks like. Just needs minor fixing. Pretty pleased with it.

But how do I add my race to the game properly? I edited client.config and universe_server.config. What else to config other than files inside folders of assets?

jesus christ gently caress

Any spritework you can show us?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

I found a weapon once called a Badass Dudedude. I love the random name generator.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Doggboat posted:

Goddamn that's beautiful.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

everythingWasBees posted:

Goddamn that's beautiful.

Seriously, well done.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Doggboat posted:

Holy poo poo.

Speaking of mods, is it possible to modify the inventory system? I'd love to see an alien race with 4 arms that can use two pickaxes at once or four swords.

Also some space jellyfish. Hanar or bust.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Doggboat posted:

Thats pretty loving awesome.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would definitely replace the Floran animation with that new one, it's just so visceral.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

prahanormal posted:

God loving damnit.

I began thinking my game was bugged because I had gotten over 200 inferior brains before I finally got the drop I needed. I was so loving angry and ready to quit the game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I got a superior brain from the very first thing I zapped. I'd have to count myself lucky I guess.

unemployedartist
Mar 31, 2011
If you want, you can go to the treasure tables for the brain hunter and adjust the rates.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\treasure

Look for the file named brain.treasurepools

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

harskarenjag posted:

I began thinking my game was bugged because I had gotten over 200 inferior brains before I finally got the drop I needed. I was so loving angry and ready to quit the game.

It's a 7% drop rate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Geomancing posted:

I found a weapon once called a Badass Dudedude. I love the random name generator.
The name generator inspired my girlfriend to demand I mod my game to add the word "dick" in the adjective spot and "dicks" in the noun spot of every crappy-tier weapon.

We kind of forgot about it until later she noticed she'd picked up "spoiled dicks" at some point, and all of a sudden we were twelve years old again and giggling uncontrollably. "Dick tickler" was probably the best one. "Unwanted dicks" was a bit creepy...

This is the first time I've modded a game myself. I'm both impressed at how easy that was, and deeply, deeply ashamed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Babe Magnet posted:

E:

Dont ever stop. :allears:

Doggboat posted:

aaaAAAA!! :stonk:

Seriously, I'm dying of envy over here.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Doggboat posted:

Whoah. That's simply incredible work! Really lovely stuff.

... I just wasted a lot of time doing sketches and such today, mostly. I did get most of the secondary details done but not the starting outfits. I'm not sure I can 80's well enough for what I want.

Well, this is approximately what the Soma look like at least:

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!

Doggboat posted:

This is awesome!

I thought about doing a star trek transporter animation for beaming up and down to your ship but I've lost steam with modding for the moment.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

All right I'm missing something, I've delved down to the icy core of a TL4 planet, and I still can't figure out how you make Durasteel. What do I need and where do i get it?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 20, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hunter Noventa posted:

All right I'm missing something, I've delved down tot he icy core of a TL4 planet, and I still can't figure out how you make Durasteel. What do I need and where do i get it?
Titanium bar + coal at the metalworking station.

EDIT: You know what I'd really like to see? A searchable thing of all crafting recipes you know available from the... codex or something. With order of acquisition as a sorting option, so when you pick up something and see "new blueprints available" you can find out what they are.

Also listing what crafting table they're at so you don't find something, then hours later put down a spinning wheel to make some cloth for something and hey, mushroom hat that's new.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Titanium bar + coal at the metalworking station.

EDIT: You know what I'd really like to see? A searchable thing of all crafting recipes you know available from the... codex or something. With order of acquisition as a sorting option, so when you pick up something and see "new blueprints available" you can find out what they are.

Also listing what crafting table they're at so you don't find something, then hours later put down a spinning wheel to make some cloth for something and hey, mushroom hat that's new.

Ah, thank you. It was way at the bottom and i just missed it i guess. Weird.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As much as it's sort of a "furry" race idea, I think a people of animals would make a nice addition. Just throw them all into a single race and cover all options. Hair options would swap out ears and horns, rather than anime hair or what have you. And make them stupid. Borderline Dr. Moreau stuff, the entire race painfully uplifted to a thinking state through some horrible technology, even more mentally childish than the Florans. Just a bunch of barely-sapient creatures given swords and guns and spaceships. More Dr. Moreau than DeviantArt.

HE WHO BREAKS THE LAW GOES BACK TO THE HOUSE OF PAIN.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Vib Rib posted:

As much as it's sort of a "furry" race idea, I think a people of animals would make a nice addition. Just throw them all into a single race and cover all options. Hair options would swap out ears and horns, rather than anime hair or what have you. And make them stupid. Borderline Dr. Moreau stuff, the entire race painfully uplifted to a thinking state through some horrible technology, even more mentally childish than the Florans. Just a bunch of barely-sapient creatures given swords and guns and spaceships. More Dr. Moreau than DeviantArt.

HE WHO BREAKS THE LAW GOES BACK TO THE HOUSE OF PAIN.

Holy poo poo, someone do this.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Now I'm disappointed such a race isn't already in the game. That's bloody perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
A silicoid/rock people race might be interesting, though I'm not sure what angle you'd use for the lore (which is what would make it interesting).

• Locked thread