Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
How long should we expect to wait for the old Mac Pro prices to drop? I really want one of those awesome aluminum cases to set up a server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

How long should we expect to wait for the old Mac Pro prices to drop? I really want one of those awesome aluminum cases to set up a server.

If you just want it for the case they're on ebay for like $100.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

drat. I was hoping for a Mac mini silent refresh along with the Mac Pro release today.

To refurb now or wait for refresh. Oh the decisions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't know why they didn't just stick those video cards, the PCIe SSDs, the new Xeons, and Thunderbolt in the existing case. One of the nice things about the Pro is that you can stick a handful of 3.5" drives in it!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Nut Bunnies posted:

What took so long was them waiting for this particular Xeon architecture. I don't know why they didn't at least throw Thunderbolt into a Mac Pro before this, though.

Part of the new Xeon architecture is Thunderbolt support. Previous xeon chipsets didn't support it. Not for dual socket xeons anyway.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Smashing Link posted:

Nothing in that case is standard, and it is a HUGE pain in the rear end to work in unless you are dealing with RAM or a PCI-E card.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Will the Mac Pros be available in the Apple Store this month for the base models? Shipping on the site has already moved to February.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

dzarc posted:

Will the Mac Pros be available in the Apple Store this month for the base models? Shipping on the site has already moved to February.

With prior apple releases, the stores still do get some stock regardless of the 'shipping by' date on the website. You'll either have to be fast in the case of high-demand products and snag them in a hurry, or (and this is somewhat more probable) they'll have a couple sitting at the stores in a few weeks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have to agree, I'd feel a lot better if the new MP had dual nVidia Quadros or even GTX 780s instead of the AMD FirePros.

Also guessing Steve probably said near the end 'You mooks are going to make a round computer or else' just to gently caress with the engineering guys. I'm pretty sure that if they had just made the old MP case a little smaller and threw in all the poo poo the garbage can model offers, and allowed both AMD/nVidia cards (in other words go crawling to both companies to write drivers / OpenCL / CUDA support in) they'd be a lot easier to swallow.

But, as it is, the initial shipment is sold out so I don't know what the gently caress, maybe they only decided to run an initial 10K run in case people didn't want to spend $4000 on a can with a fan.

Edit: if the build quality is anything like the Late 2013 rMBPs it oughta be solid.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Anyone else get their 2012 Macbook Air battery replaced after the mass failure / firmware thing a few months ago?

I only get like 3 hours of battery life now just casually web browsing. I used to get 6-7 (unless I was developing, in which case I'd get around 3). I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet, so everything should be the same as it was before.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I don't know why they didn't just stick those video cards, the PCIe SSDs, the new Xeons, and Thunderbolt in the existing case. One of the nice things about the Pro is that you can stick a handful of 3.5" drives in it!
My assumption has been cause the big rear end tower PC style case isn't as appealing to the general rich people market, like they feel they can appease whatever pro market enough to keep them around while appealing to a wider audience. I'm wondering if they'll drop the price back down with the next revision like they've done with some other machines with more expensive first revs.

Loosely related monitor chat: http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/17/lg-4k-ultra-widescreen-monitors/
I'm interested in the wacky super wide non 4k ones mentioned, 3440x1440 at 29" and 34".

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hedgecore posted:

Anyone else get their 2012 Macbook Air battery replaced after the mass failure / firmware thing a few months ago?

I only get like 3 hours of battery life now just casually web browsing. I used to get 6-7 (unless I was developing, in which case I'd get around 3). I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet, so everything should be the same as it was before.

I didn't but I should. I am at 80% capacity after 50 cycles. poo poo dies pretty fact too when I'm not plugged in.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Brock Landers posted:

Part of the new Xeon architecture is Thunderbolt support. Previous xeon chipsets didn't support it. Not for dual socket xeons anyway.

No, that's not correct. No intel chipset, Xeon or otherwise, supports thunderbolt natively. Thunderbolt is provided by extra controllers which connect to PCIe lanes provided by the CPU or chipset, and also to DisplayPort channels from the CPU graphics or discrete graphics.

The DisplayPort part would make including full function (that is, capable of video output) thunderbolt in a Mac Pro interesting since you have to find some way of routing DisplayPort from the video cards to the motherboard. But not at all impossible, so long as they were willing to make slightly nonstandard GPU cards with an extra connector tab for DP. They used to do that for extra power delivery to ADC video cards so there's really no reason why they could not have been making tower Mac pros with thunderbolt the last few years.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

japtor posted:

My assumption has been cause the big rear end tower PC style case isn't as appealing to the general rich people market, like they feel they can appease whatever pro market enough to keep them around while appealing to a wider audience. I'm wondering if they'll drop the price back down with the next revision like they've done with some other machines with more expensive first revs.

Exactly that on both counts. The Mac Pro market segment is probably very small to begin with, and the angry "OMG Final Cut Pro X isn't exactly like 7? Screw you!" types have probably all left by now. Same with the people who just want an Apple branded PC big tower.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Macworld put up some quick impressions:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2082022/the-new-mac-pro-first-impressions.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^Man, that thing is loving tiny. Like, I knew it was obviously a lot smaller than the old one but that picture really puts the difference into perspective.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The best part of that review

quote:

Jostle the new Mac Pro just a little bit and all the labels on its rectangular battery of ports (four USB 3, six Thunderbolt 2, two Gigabit ethernet, one HDMI, and audio in and out) light up. There’s an accelerometer that senses that you’re moving the computer and lights the ports up temporarily, so it’s easier to read the labels and see where the ports are.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

BobHoward posted:

No, that's not correct. No intel chipset, Xeon or otherwise, supports thunderbolt natively. Thunderbolt is provided by extra controllers which connect to PCIe lanes provided by the CPU or chipset, and also to DisplayPort channels from the CPU graphics or discrete graphics.

The DisplayPort part would make including full function (that is, capable of video output) thunderbolt in a Mac Pro interesting since you have to find some way of routing DisplayPort from the video cards to the motherboard. But not at all impossible, so long as they were willing to make slightly nonstandard GPU cards with an extra connector tab for DP. They used to do that for extra power delivery to ADC video cards so there's really no reason why they could not have been making tower Mac pros with thunderbolt the last few years.

Isn't there something in the intel platform required to enable it though? IIRC it's something in the chipset, which would explain why we had to wait this long for a Xeon to support it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

The best part of that review
Yeah someone mentioned that when they were first announced (I think they had a hands-on area for press or something) and all I could do was :monocle:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Smashing Link posted:

Secondhand Mac Pro prices have only been going up lately.

That said, you've always been able to buy empty cases second hand for cheap. It's a lot of work to mod into ATX though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Opened my 15" early 2011 MBP one day around 2 weeks ago and there was a pixel wide neon green line running vertical on the screen somewhere close to the center. The line does not show up in screenshots, so it seemed to be an issue with the screen rather than the GPU. Some googling confirmed it was probably the screen or the screen connector, and that I should bring it in to an Apple store because there isn't anyway for me to fix it and it will probably only get worse. However, later that day I opened the laptop up again and the line was gone, so I let it be.

Fast forward to earlier this week. The line came back again in the same spot, and it has not gone away after numerous opens/closes over the past few days, so I'm going to take it in.

Questions: I installed 16 GB of RAM (which works fine even though the tech specs say it maxes out at 8) and replaced the superdrive with an OWC data doubler. Should I remove either of these upgrades prior to taking the laptop in? Could either of these things be used as a reason not to repair this? My Apple Care is still active until May, so I'm OK on that end.

Also, has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what caused it and what had to be done to get it fixed?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah someone mentioned that when they were first announced (I think they had a hands-on area for press or something) and all I could do was :monocle:

My audio engineer friend said that feature alone was what sold him on the design.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

empty baggie posted:

My audio engineer friend said that feature alone was what sold him on the design.

Must...resist buying. I've been waiting 5 years for this but looks like I'll be waiting at least 6 if not 7. I really want to see 2nd gen design before I plunk that amount of cash down and besides, the 15% I'll save on refurbs is worth waiting for refurbs if I'm going to splurge on 1st gen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

Also, has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what caused it and what had to be done to get it fixed?

Usually bad video cable or LCD panel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MrBond posted:

Isn't there something in the intel platform required to enable it though? IIRC it's something in the chipset, which would explain why we had to wait this long for a Xeon to support it.

No, there really isn't any special sauce in the chipset. Or if there is I've never heard of it.

The only slightly special thing they need for the new Mac Pro's Thunderbolt connectivity is a ton of PCIe lanes, just because there are so many Thunderbolt ports to feed (plus two PCIe video cards, plus a PCIe SSD). The Ivy Bridge-EP Xeon used in the new Mac Pro has 40 PCIe lanes. But they could have gotten 40 lanes nearly 2 years ago by using Sandy Bridge-EP Xeons, which use the same CPU socket and basically the same chipset. They didn't have to wait this long.

Also, Intel's first public demo of what would eventually become known as Thunderbolt took place in 2009. They used "workstation" hardware rather conspicuously running MacOS X. The demo hardware was almost certainly a hacked up circa-2009 Mac Pro, not trashcan-Mac prototype hardware.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
For the 13 inch rMBP, which upgrade is more worth the 200$ between:

from 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
to 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add $200.00]

or

from 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
to 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM [Add $200.00]?

thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The RAM.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Colonel J posted:

or

thanks!

What are you using it for? Unless you're doing video/audio production (which is going to cry a bit on the dual core of the 13) or running a whole lot of programs all at once forever, both those options really don't make much of a difference other than the i7 slightly driving down battery life. I'd say get more hard drive space personally.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Colonel J posted:

or

thanks!

I personally wouldn't use the extra 8GB of RAM, so I would take the 20% increase in CPU speed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fookolt posted:

I'd say get more hard drive space personally.

This is the right answer unless you're planning to do something that would capitalize on the extra RAM. And, as it's been said above me, anything that would really benefit from 16gb over 8gb is probably gonna make the dual-core CPU poo poo its pants, regardless of its clock speed.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just want to update what I was complaining about a few pages ago. Every complaint is gone about Apple's bad service. The downside is my laptop is still not quite fixed, but I have gotten probably 8 calls where we have tried different things. I have third party RAM (as mentioned previously) and they are going to let me take it in and get the stock Apple RAM put in to see if that fixes it. That is crazy generous of them.

At this point, even if it does not get fixed I am happy enough I would buy a new Apple laptop. The level they are going to for me is unreasonable (in a good way).

I told the man I have been working with that at this point, even if that does not fix the problem, I am perfectly satisfied with the levels they have gone to help me and would not hesitate to buy another Apple product. If I knew how I would send the guy helping me a gift basket or something. I am actually going to see if this is possible.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Ribsauce posted:

I just want to update what I was complaining about a few pages ago. Every complaint is gone about Apple's bad service. The downside is my laptop is still not quite fixed, but I have gotten probably 8 calls where we have tried different things. I have third party RAM (as mentioned previously) and they are going to let me take it in and get the stock Apple RAM put in to see if that fixes it. That is crazy generous of them.

At this point, even if it does not get fixed I am happy enough I would buy a new Apple laptop. The level they are going to for me is unreasonable (in a good way).

I told the man I have been working with that at this point, even if that does not fix the problem, I am perfectly satisfied with the levels they have gone to help me and would not hesitate to buy another Apple product. If I knew how I would send the guy helping me a gift basket or something. I am actually going to see if this is possible.

I've noticed similar things as you - apple's "geniuses" have gotten much much worse.

I suspect it's both that they're paying substantially worse than they used to (I applied a year or so ago and when offered the job after a creepy as gently caress cult interview party thing laughingly told them there's no way in hell I'd do that job for $12 an hour), and part of it is that 95% of a genius's job is replacing broken iPhones and iPads now - and really I think the hiring reflects that reality.

Edit: Also, they seemed to be doing nothing but hiring part-time employees for those jobs, too.

Their phone/corporate/applecare support people are generally fairly good, though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad. MBAs don't seem to get that paying your employees is an investment in their good performance and by extension an investment in your brand.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe having an actual retail head again will help things. Since Ron Johnson left I think they've had his subordinate fill in first, then the guy they fired after a few months, and uh, just Cook between then and now? Took two years to find a replacement basically...unless Ahrendts fails too.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Well...gently caress. I spilled soda on the keyboard of my new rMBP. It still powers on but the display cuts out like 5 seconds after it boots. I have the thing turned off and wont touch it for a couple of days but assuming the motherboard is dead does anyone have any idea roughly how much it would cost to replace?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Well...gently caress. I spilled soda on the keyboard of my new rMBP. It still powers on but the display cuts out like 5 seconds after it boots. I have the thing turned off and wont touch it for a couple of days but assuming the motherboard is dead does anyone have any idea roughly how much it would cost to replace?

Either $755 (13-inch) or $1240 (15-inch).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

1997 posted:

Either $755 (13-inch) or $1240 (15-inch).

Ugh, thanks, it's the 13". My clumsiness fucks me over yet again.

Maybe I can get a few hundred bucks for it on eBay or something.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ugh, thanks, it's the 13". My clumsiness fucks me over yet again.

Maybe I can get a few hundred bucks for it on eBay or something.

A goon in SA Mart was buying busted Macs at one point, may be worth a shot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Putting the cart before the horse before it went nuts and bolted from the stable, but an honest suggestion for the next rMBP:

http://www.amazon.com/UPPERCASE-Premium-Keyboard-Protector-Macbook/dp/B00AQFFSAG/

Only costs $13 and keeps crumbs, cheetos dust, other particulates from getting into your keyboard; maybe not quite proof for liquid spills but depending on how it happens it'll keep some liquid out..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Putting the cart before the horse before it went nuts and bolted from the stable, but an honest suggestion for the next rMBP:

http://www.amazon.com/UPPERCASE-Premium-Keyboard-Protector-Macbook/dp/B00AQFFSAG/

Only costs $13 and keeps crumbs, cheetos dust, other particulates from getting into your keyboard; maybe not quite proof for liquid spills but depending on how it happens it'll keep some liquid out..

I am so terrified now that I am buying this right away.