Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

If it involves door-to-door sales, vacuum cleaners, knives or selling financial products in-home, don't even get in the car with the person you're "shadowing", just leave.

They said they're contracted to Verizon and AT&T, so hopefully it won't be any of those. It is sales-related, though, which was part of what was sketching me out. Their representative called me literally hours after I posted my resume on Careerbuilder, which was the other part of it. I wish I could just go with it and be myself and not have to worry about loving scams, because I'm nervous enough about this process as it is. Oh, well. They have a large office in a nice building, so I assume they're not trying to steal my identity. Worst case scenario, they're trying to pressure people into doing a lovely job for not a lot of money, and I have the family support to tell people like that to shove it.

Edit: Actually, you make a good point about getting in the car with someone. If I get a ride somewhere, I can't just walk away anymore. I'll make sure to drive to my own car if we leave the building. Although, leaving the building itself feels like a red flag to me, whether or not they're trying to physically trap me somewhere.

Edit 2: I don't know why I didn't Google their name before. Looks like it's shaping up to be door-to-door sales of FiOS. Ugh.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

sim posted:

I'm trying to tailor my resume for 100% remote UI Web Developer positions. I've always listed a couple independent projects at the end, but I'm starting to think I should remove those in favor of more bullet points for each position. I've never liked listing "skills" and instead try to work them into the job descriptions, but I know a lot of recruiters are just looking for certain keywords like "Backbone.js", "RequireJS", "jQuery", etc. I've worked with a ton of libraries, should I start sprinkling more of those in?

Edit: I should probably start with removing my "objective" at the top, even though it's not labeled as such.

Any other critiques are welcome. Thank!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T4pDEyuTXaI4-mPxe67wQxc-lSLS6yFxT6nxal6MZ7M/edit?usp=sharing

Attached is a basic critique. Every sentence was lacking in detail. Make sure to list the specifics of what you did along with some actual results. I could have left about five different comments about each sentence you wrote. But what you have come up with is a good start. I hope this helps provide you with more direction.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I'm getting that same scam vibe from another response I got, and especially in light of the foul weather my area has had lately, I'd like to discover whether it's bullshit before I drive out for an "interview." What's a good way to ask "what is it you do, exactly," such that scammers will give me enough information that I can hang up on them, and legitimate employers won't be offended by the same question?

Follow-up question: is the instant apply function of CareerBuilder totally useless? Because I'm pretty sure that's where these are coming from.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I feel like if you can't get a decent idea of what the company does without asking them (and I don't mean specifics, just industry), then it's probably a scam.

edit: If they contacted you, it is totally legitimate to ask "Can you tell a little bit more about the company?," but in this case I don't think you will get the answer you want.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 10, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Google the company?

Otherwise, ask what kind of product they sell. If they start rambling on about opportunity, being your own boss and freedom freedom 'merica, as opposed to "Vacuum cleaners" or "window cleaning widgets", it's a scam.

Also agreeing with the poster above that if you get the feeling it's a scam at this point, it probably is.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I applied to a bunch of stuff on CareerBuilder, and I've got a phone message that identifies the name of the caller and the number, but not the company he works for. I have no idea which company he's calling from. I suppose my intuitive sense of "if there's even a 1% chance that this is legitimate, it's worth spending an hour following up on it" is what scammers count on.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 10, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

So call him back and ask what company he works for. There's nothing inappropriate about that.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Xandu posted:

So call him back and ask what company he works for. There's nothing inappropriate about that.

Googling the phone number and comparing the results with what I see on my "activity" page on Careerbuilder suggests that the caller is from Staffing Now. They look like more of a real recruiting company than Zerin turned out to be. I wouldn't mind being an executive assistant or a legal secretary or something, just until I find something better.

Edit: Okay, this actually sounds way more legit, now that I've talked to the guy. Interview is tomorrow at 11AM.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 10, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
*company name* scam in google has always worked for me. If it is even remotely shady, you'll find out on the first page.

So a place I have an interview for with next week has their salary stated on the listing. The guy asked that I made sure I read through the whole posting carefully. Assuming the interview goes well and they toss me an offer, can I ask for more $ based on the compensation package or something to that extent?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
In a few days I'll be celebrating 5 years of earning my degree. So, I decided to try my hand at reworking my resume (again) in hopes that maybe this year will be the year my degree finally pays off (it won't, it never will).

First, a resume for engineering jobs. I've left my work experience off completely since I have no relevant work experience. I'm not sure how to present work that isn't relevant in a positive light that doesn't look like I've spent the last five years of my life in some transient state of being a dipshit who doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, and more portray the reality of 'hey, I've had bills to pay and can't just sit on my rear end for five years waiting for a ship to come in.' Anyways, the resume:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GGr7KkleDp3IdQlXLXfrKwwtwRr6EqNA7gbWyLHpjZc/edit?usp=sharing

Second, despite that I can't even get an interview for a full time position at my current employer, I figured I might try to spruce up some of that experience to maybe get a job as something that pays better and hopefully makes me feel like less of a failure. Not sure what that position is, if it exists, but maybe somebody is hiring who won't bin my resume faster than they can read my name. Probably still won't get an interview, but here is a general-ish resume:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PNA-wIfwGXiaD34e1WYLgZWFUGIrarfFCsejdUIqFHk/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry to sound negative, it's just a tad depressing at the moment.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I'm a bar-admitted (in South Dakota) lawyer who's trying to find something else to do. As it is, I've had to work in a warehouse 40 miles from home for the last 3 years to make ends meet (more or less) for various reasons. First, the Econopocalypse of 2008 hit the summer before I graduated and the jobs just haven't come back. Second, due to past debt problems I'm basically at the beginning of year 3 of a 5-year conditional admission, which basically makes me a second-class citizen of the state bar. Third, in addition to some of the admission conditions being pretty onerous in terms of my ability to practice on my own, operating costs are just higher than I can manage to sustain in the long term. As such, I'm looking for something else to do.

I got my Bachelor's in 2004 with a double major in English for Information Systems (in other words, technical writing) with a specialization in documentation and publishing and Multimedia/Web Development. The latter showed my alma mater had its head squarely up its rear end because it considered anything beyond Javascript to be "web programming" and saved that for an Information Systems major. Because there's not much call for technical writing in eastern South Dakota I ended up delivering pizza until I did a year of graduate studies in English. There I realized that you can't teach mechanical correctness if the students don't want to learn and that it's pointless anyway, so I decided to go to law school instead. :negative:

Other than my formal education, I've got general computer support skills, both hardware and software. At my warehouse job I was originally hired as a technician to service laptops, but that mutated for reasons unrelated to competence into hauling TVs, computers, and other merchandise to the stores, breaking down e-waste for recycling, and generally whatever bitch work needs doing. For a couple semesters I taught a class at a community college in Office and the basics of computers in general. I regret leaving that, but it was when I still had at least a mild glimmer of hope of getting a legal job and it conflicted with the local court schedule, so I thought I'd need to be available to get experience from appointments (I got none). I am pretty familiar with CSS and have gotten myself fairly up to speed with CSS3 and HTML5. I've had to teach myself what meager PHP I know, and even that's been what I needed to do for what I was making. I recently did one thing with jQuery, so I at least understand how it works in general. I can understand networking and I could easily learn it, server administration, or modern web development, but I'd need someone willing to train me. My problem is that my knowledge is very broad but not deep in very many areas.

Taking all that into account, then, how should I tune my résumé? I don't care if I get a law job or something else. In fact, I'd probably prefer something in IT, web design/development, or even writing to law, as at least in IT I'd make lawyer money with less stress. The problem there is that I don't even get interviews, whether because my cover letter and/or résumé suck or because as soon as the HR person sees my law degree they assume I'm not serious about the position. Nobody understands that by and large we don't tend to make what they think we do— the average starting salary for a lawyer in South Dakota is (or was in 2006) $35K a year. Should I bother including the year of grad school? Do I still include my law degree on my résumé if I'm not trying to get a law job so the recruiter doesn't summarily round-file it, or should I include it to show the breadth of my potential and/or simply because I earned it? How should I approach the JD in my cover letter, or should I do so? Lately I've been mentioning it and stating to the general effect of "I'm in the process of winding down my private legal practice because I'd rather do something else so please take me seriously." Also, should I keep and send the document in Word format? I've been submitting it as a PDF I made in InDesign.

Basically, I suck at résumés and cover letters so I need help. After I get some feedback I'll probably just rebuild my résumé and basic cover letter template from the ground up and post both of them here for critique. Thanks in advance.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just applied for a job on a contractor/recruiter type site, but below the posting and the application page, there's someone's contact information. Should I send this person my resume and cover letter in addition to applying? Or might this just be to ask "Hey, did you get my resume and are you still hiring" etc?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any particular etiquette to follow when applying for different positions within the same company? In all of such cases I send the same resumes and cover letters (the cover letters have the relevant information changed, but are still largely the same). Is that frowned upon in any way?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I would advise against applying to a more than a handful at once. I know at my company if you apply to more than like 2-3, it gets your resume thrown out.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Xandu posted:

I would advise against applying to a more than a handful at once. I know at my company if you apply to more than like 2-3, it gets your resume thrown out.

Is it worthwhile to throw a line in your cover letter about being interested in other open positions in the company, or should it just be assumed HR will look at you for those if you're qualified?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This may not be the place for this, but I don’t know where else to put it. I work for an engineering firm as a project coordinator. I won’t get into the nitty-gritty, so here’s the just of it- I’m point of contact for my division, and I’ve made a lot of great contacts within the industry. This morning, one of my contacts with the company that is essentially the Google of the industry sent me a job posting for a position with them in my area doing essentially everything I’m doing at my current company. I’m sure they would be able to offer me more pay and better benefits. Just to be clear- I love what I do. I love my coworkers. I love my boss. My pay isn’t that great. But I’m happy. I would like to make more money. And I don’t know if I can do it here. And I know that this company is quality.

Here’s my question- Let’s say I apply to this job and get an interview, and let’s say that all goes well. Seeing as though we have a good relationship with this client, they will more than likely contact my boss. I’ve seen other clients and competitors alike contact him when they’ve absorbed one of our engineers or something. It will happen. The question is, will this be better coming from ME or coming from THEM? Should I ever let my employer know that I’m potentially taking a job with one of our clients?

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Does anyone want to help me brainstorm reasons I might be consistently bombing interviews that I personally perceive as going really well? It's driving me nuts, since I'll leave an interview feeling like I answered every question perfectly and had a great rapport with the interviewer, and then I'll never hear from the company again - this just happened for the third time. I obviously can't bring somebody along to interviews with me to figure out what I'm doing wrong, so what can I try to specifically look out for that might be imperceptible to me, but a big enough problem to be turned down at the interview stage?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
What did you ask them when they asked you if you had any questions for them? How much research did you do about the actual duties of the position or what the company really does (assuming this is possible to figure out without working there)?

We've turned down some people who interviewed well, but it's often just because another person we interviewed did better. Sometimes people who were very personable and gave us nice-sounding answers had some casual assumptions about what we did that showed us they never really did more than glance through our website. When we compared this to a candidate who gave nice answers, but who also printed out parts of our website and directly referenced it, we had a pretty easy decision.

I've mostly been in the hiring process for fairly entry-level positions that don't REQUIRE specialized knowledge or experience, but if you have it we will hire you over people who don't. We usually didn't have any experienced candidates apply, so we ended up deciding based on factors such as who seems to want the job more, who has done more research, who is giving us thoughtful answers rather than ones that just sound nice.

Some more specific information about "casual assumptions" that I mean:

My job is at an international center in a university, so every single undergraduate thinks that the entire center does nothing but run study abroad programs for undergraduates. In reality that is less than 30% of what we do, and my department (as well as a few other departments) have absolutely nothing to do with study abroad. We get applicants to our unit who--based on what they say during their interviews--think the job they are applying for deals with study abrod, but if they had really read our department's website, they'd have realized we do NOTHING with study abroad. This is kind of a "land mine" for people we interview, where if we interview four people for a job and three talk as if they will be dealing with study abroad, we likely are going to lean toward the one who didn't.

We also exclusively deal with "scholars" and not "students," (this almost seems pedantic, but in my field it's a significant difference) so the last two people we hired were ones that name-dropped the term "scholars" rather than just saying "students." This is something that you could easily have figured out by reading our website and taking notes, but most people won't do it.

I realize this advice won't apply to all jobs, but the key thing is read everything you can about the SPECIFIC PLACE YOU ARE WORKING in the company if at all possible. If you are reading the website for the employer and see terms or acronyms that you are not 100% sure of the meaning, LOOK THEM UP, then use those terms (in a way that shows you understand what it means) in the questions you ask to the interviewer when it comes time to do that. Doing this kind of thing shows that you will take initiative and figure stuff out on your own after they hire you rather than just sitting there and waiting for them to teach you everything.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 13, 2013

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
That actually could have something to do with it. The field I'm applying in is dominated by companies with two clearly opposed philosophies. I recently bombed an interview by agreeing with a tenet of the 'wrong' philosophy (and the interviewer reacted like I'd just kicked his puppy). So at this most recent one, I asked a lot of questions about what the company's philosophical viewpoint was, how they expressed that in practice, etc. I thought at the time that it was coming off as intelligent and inquisitive, since the interviewer seemed impressed that I knew the larger issues in the field. But in reality it might have seemed clueless.

Another question. Is it weird to reference other companies you're interviewing with (not by name) in an interview? That's something else I did in this one that I wasn't so sure about, I just did it because it was relevant to the conversation but now I don't know.

e: Also I have literally never gotten a rejection in six months of fruitlessly applying for jobs, even when I've reached a final-round interview stage. Universally my recruiter or contact person just never emails or calls me again and just stops replying to emails. It's driving me batshit. :(

God Over Djinn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 13, 2013

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
How much of a job application's procedures are meant to weed out people who aren't good at following directions/won't put effort into tedious tasks? That is, are there application materials that are thrown in not because they are primarily needed, but just as a way of raising the bar for applicants?

I am applying for jobs in student services at community colleges. One of these jobs involved a resume, a cover letter, and three (supposedly) fillable pdfs. One of the pdfs did not work as it was supposed to. I am wondering if that was some type of challenge to people's ability and skills to figure out how to get all this stuff completed. Perhaps this particular situation isn't the best example (they actually do need that form for the background check), but in general, do institutions make the application procedure overly complicated to weed people out?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Don't over think it. The PDF didn't work because the recruiting office is probably staffed by people who don't know how to use the computer.

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011
I recently transfered from a community college with an associates to a 4 year university. As part of the university's grade policy with the local community colleges, they basiaclly reset your GPA when you enter the university, so any cumulative GPA listed on their transcripts would only include classes at the university.

That is fine, but I will be enterting the university next fall, and the fall semester is when many Accounting firms will be at career fairs there looking for internship prospects. Would it be reasonable to put my cumulative GPA up to that point from my community college classes on my resume being as I won't really have any GPA from the university till the semester is over?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Its fine, but you have to clarify on the resume that it is your community college GPA

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm working on getting myself a new job, but I'm not sure how to use this "networking" thing. A guy I work with gave me the business card of another guy at a company I want to jump ship to, but business card guy isn't the guy I'd have to talk to about getting a job there and he's just a stepping stone to point me to the right person. When I email him, do I include my resume and cover letter and all that jazz for him to forward on to the appropriate people? Or do I just send him an email going "hey I want to work for your company who do I talk to?" then email my resume directly to the person he sends me to?

Business card guy is a sales guy but I need to talk to someone in engineering. It's a 1000+ person company so it's not like sales guy can waltz three cubes down and hand my resume to an engineering lead so I need to orchestrate this in a way to get my resume in the right hands without it getting lost in the shuffle.

I should probably polish my resume before I do any emailing, haven't touched the thing in two years. And then I need to update my website that's been sitting stagnant for two years as well. Urgh.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm working on getting myself a new job, but I'm not sure how to use this "networking" thing. A guy I work with gave me the business card of another guy at a company I want to jump ship to, but business card guy isn't the guy I'd have to talk to about getting a job there and he's just a stepping stone to point me to the right person. When I email him, do I include my resume and cover letter and all that jazz for him to forward on to the appropriate people? Or do I just send him an email going "hey I want to work for your company who do I talk to?" then email my resume directly to the person he sends me to?

Business card guy is a sales guy but I need to talk to someone in engineering. It's a 1000+ person company so it's not like sales guy can waltz three cubes down and hand my resume to an engineering lead so I need to orchestrate this in a way to get my resume in the right hands without it getting lost in the shuffle.

I should probably polish my resume before I do any emailing, haven't touched the thing in two years. And then I need to update my website that's been sitting stagnant for two years as well. Urgh.
Do you personally know the guy at the company you want to jump ship to? If not, you're a creepy stranger with his email address and you should be asking the person who gave it to you to make an introduction. Who just gives out someone else's business card like that?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Do you personally know the guy at the company you want to jump ship to? If not, you're a creepy stranger with his email address and you should be asking the person who gave it to you to make an introduction. Who just gives out someone else's business card like that?

Nope. Guy I work with talked to him at a trade show and told him he knew someone with experience in the field who was moving to the area where his company is and would be looking for a job and got his business card with the express purpose of passing it on to me. So while it's not totally out of the blue it's still not ideal, but the guy who passed along his information is someone I can pretty easily name-drop since he's been in the industry forever and he'll back me up if the guy calls him going "who the hell is this?"

And if they're like "who the hell are you go away" I'll just look elsewhere. I'm still gainfully employed at my current job so it's not like this is my one shot at employment.

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow
My fiance had to reschedule twice for a phone interview, is she already screwed for the job?

She is interviewing for a legal coordinator position and will be conducting a phone interview with the chief legal officer.
When my fiance gave her original availability, she accidentally told the HR woman a day/time frame when she had to work. The HR woman scheduled it for 9am today and sent her an email to confirm. My fiance called her and said that would not work because she works until 3pm. The HR woman sent another email asking her to confirm a phone interview for 3pm. My fiance didn't want to change it again so she confirmed hoping that she would be able to leave work early. Today at work she found out she would not be able to do leave early, so she called and rescheduled for tomorrow.

When she told me, my first thought was that she is not going to get the job. I'm worried that all the rescheduling makes it look like she is unable to manage her time or is not taking the job interview seriously.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

yoslow posted:

My fiance had to reschedule twice for a phone interview, is she already screwed for the job?

She is interviewing for a legal coordinator position and will be conducting a phone interview with the chief legal officer.
When my fiance gave her original availability, she accidentally told the HR woman a day/time frame when she had to work. The HR woman scheduled it for 9am today and sent her an email to confirm. My fiance called her and said that would not work because she works until 3pm. The HR woman sent another email asking her to confirm a phone interview for 3pm. My fiance didn't want to change it again so she confirmed hoping that she would be able to leave work early. Today at work she found out she would not be able to do leave early, so she called and rescheduled for tomorrow.

When she told me, my first thought was that she is not going to get the job. I'm worried that all the rescheduling makes it look like she is unable to manage her time or is not taking the job interview seriously.
It doesn't look great, but that doesn't actually mean anything for either of you. She should still show up and do her best on the interview, instead of calling it quits, blowing it off and cancelling. Everything else is water under the bridge that she can't do anything about. She could have tried to spin it as attending to surprise work obligations, and Work Comes First, but the phone call to reschedule already happened.

People overthink their interactions with HR. In most organizations, HR has almost nothing to do with hiring decisions outside of background checks (and this is doubly true of technical or deeply professional positions), and the worst they can do is try to blackball you to the actual hiring manager, where they probably have no traction anyway.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Nope. Guy I work with talked to him at a trade show and told him he knew someone with experience in the field who was moving to the area where his company is and would be looking for a job and got his business card with the express purpose of passing it on to me. So while it's not totally out of the blue it's still not ideal, but the guy who passed along his information is someone I can pretty easily name-drop since he's been in the industry forever and he'll back me up if the guy calls him going "who the hell is this?"

And if they're like "who the hell are you go away" I'll just look elsewhere. I'm still gainfully employed at my current job so it's not like this is my one shot at employment.
Your original contact should still be making the introduction for you, but if you're not afraid to just reach out, what are you posting here for? Email the guy and talk like a human being. :)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 19, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
How would you guys stop an interview process without burning too many bridges? I found out a bunch of nasty poo poo about a company that's interviewing me and I'm not really getting good vibes about working there. I knew they had a bad rap, but I thought it was just gossip, but I've found out they've pissed off a lot of people in the development and marketing communities with failure to pay workers, futile attempts at crashing other agency meetings with clients, and throwing temper tantrums on facebook.

So I just don't want to go any further.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cheese eats mouse posted:

How would you guys stop an interview process without burning too many bridges? I found out a bunch of nasty poo poo about a company that's interviewing me and I'm not really getting good vibes about working there. I knew they had a bad rap, but I thought it was just gossip, but I've found out they've pissed off a lot of people in the development and marketing communities with failure to pay, futile attempts at crashing other agency meetings with clients, throwing temper tantrums on facebook.

So I just don't want to go any further.

When they call to schedule the next interview, tell them you're no longer interested in pursuing the position because you've decided to seek other opportunities.

They're not going to go around the big industry networking events going "Oh, you know that guy Cheese Eats Mouse? Yeah, he totally bailed on a job interview once, what a loser". Chances are they'll have forgotten you before you're done hanging up.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Your original contact should still be making the introduction for you, but if you're not afraid to just reach out, what are you posting here for? Email the guy and talk like a human being. :)

I am planning on emailing him. My original post was asking if I should ask him who I should send my resume to then contact that person myself or if I should attach it to my initial email and have him forward it on for me. I'm asking because the guy I have contact info for is not related to the department I'd join if they offer me a job so I'm not sure what the best path to contact the people I'd need to talk to is.

I guess it doesn't really matter but this is the only company in my field located where I'm moving so I'd rather not accidentally do something dumb and tank my chances.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Hello goons, I am a senior chemical engineering student and will soon start applying to jobs. Can I get some feedback on my resume?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QAx3ieLvI4jyUMHczPwxCh8creKN2kTvlAkAqhCOsoA/edit?usp=sharing

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Trying not to be a dick, but that thing needs a lot of work, it has almost no content, and just needs to really be started over.

Have you done any internships at all? Explored college grad programs with Petroleum companies?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Xeom posted:

Hello goons, I am a senior chemical engineering student and will soon start applying to jobs. Can I get some feedback on my resume?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QAx3ieLvI4jyUMHczPwxCh8creKN2kTvlAkAqhCOsoA/edit?usp=sharing

That needs a lot of work. Since you have no real work experience, you need to elaborate on your projects and coursework about how and why they count as experience to contribute to an actual job. Also the "objective" line is a ton of bullshit and should be taken out. Obviously you want a job in that field or else you wouldn't be applying for one. Needs some formatting work as well, the bullet points under "course highlights" and "organizations" are way off to the left out of line with everything else and the wording isn't consistent ("engineer thermodynamics" followed by "engineering fluid mechanics"). And why is "organizations" lowercase when the rest of your section headers are all caps?

Right now the impression it gives is "I went to school and got this degree now give me a job because I have a degree" with no explanation of why you should get a job.

Also it's a really really bad idea to have your full name AND phone number AND address AND email address on it while revising it with a bunch of internet strangers. Even on my professional website I don't have my actual phone number (just a Google Voice account that forwards to my actual phone) or my address on my resume I have posted on it.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That needs a lot of work. Since you have no real work experience, you need to elaborate on your projects and coursework about how and why they count as experience to contribute to an actual job. Also the "objective" line is a ton of bullshit and should be taken out. Obviously you want a job in that field or else you wouldn't be applying for one. Needs some formatting work as well, the bullet points under "course highlights" and "organizations" are way off to the left out of line with everything else and the wording isn't consistent ("engineer thermodynamics" followed by "engineering fluid mechanics"). And why is "organizations" lowercase when the rest of your section headers are all caps?

Right now the impression it gives is "I went to school and got this degree now give me a job because I have a degree" with no explanation of why you should get a job.

Also it's a really really bad idea to have your full name AND phone number AND address AND email address on it while revising it with a bunch of internet strangers. Even on my professional website I don't have my actual phone number (just a Google Voice account that forwards to my actual phone) or my address on my resume I have posted on it.

Thanks Aquatic Giraffe. Bullets got messed up in the transfer from word to Google docs. Already removed and replaced the objective. It still needs work, I am going to setup a few for the different sectors I will be applying to.

Part of the reason I posted was because I am completely unsure about how in-depth I should go when talking about a certain project. I tried to keep it extremely short, because the titles sort of describe a lot. Should I for instance talk about how in-depth the reports were? I'm not really sure what I should and should not talk about.

I am just generally having a hard time find the why's. I know I have something to offer for an employer somewhere, but I am having a hard time putting that into words.

Also removed the personal information, can't believe i left that all in.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Xeom posted:

I am just generally having a hard time find the why's. I know I have something to offer for an employer somewhere, but I am having a hard time putting that into words.

Say you were applying to this job (first hit on google for "chemical engineering job") http://www.engineerjobs.com/job.php?jobid=141408

Here's what they want:
Hydraulic design and modeling
Bench-scale chemical testing to determine chemical dose requirements and confirm a treatment approach
Operation of pilot test equipment
Research equipment selection
Review of manufacturer’s drawings, logic diagrams, P&ID and other drawings
Prepare basic design sketches for drafting and incorporation into final plans
Develop preliminary layouts and other plans
Prepare detailed plans and specifications for project construction
Skills in AutoCAD a benefit

You need to convey you can do most of these things well, and that you can learn to do the rest without loving it up. So for instance under your coursework or projects headers you can have sub-bullets explaining how you set up your projects with researching equipment (Research equipment selection), then making layouts and sketching/drafting your proposed solution (Develop preliminary layouts and other plans, prepare basic design sketches for drafting and incorporation into final plans) and how you actually carried it out (prepare detailed plans and specifications for project construction, operation of pilot test equipment). Right there you've covered more than half of their bullet points. You can go more in depth about it in your cover letter, and add that you're a fast learner and can pick up AutoCAD and other skills pretty quick and that you've done coursework in hydraulics and blah blah blah.

You can't just assume they'll know you did this stuff from the title of a project or a measly list of three vague course titles. Beefing up the content on your resume has the added benefit of making you look more experienced, a resume as sparse as your current one rarely gets a second glance. A nicely formatted full page of text looks much better and will probably not get tossed immediately.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Also keep in mind that after you do what Aquatic Giraffe just said, you should modify the resume every single time you apply for a job by looking at the specific requirements/desired skills for wherever you are applying.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

systran posted:

Also keep in mind that after you do what Aquatic Giraffe just said, you should modify the resume every single time you apply for a job by looking at the specific requirements/desired skills for wherever you are applying.

That's a little overkill. I hire in lab chemistry, not chem-E, but most entry-level jobs "targeting" a certain major have a lot in common. You don't need a different resume for each position until you have at least 5-10 years experience, you're just wasting your time. For example, I had a few resumes when I was entry-level: one for lab analyst jobs, one for instrumental service jobs, and one for sales jobs. You might have one for process engineer, one for plant quality engineer, etc. (totally making things up based on indeed.com postings -- I am not a Chem-E).

Also the more often you change, the more often you have to proofread because we all make mistakes and a resume must absolutely, no doubt, be PERFECT grammatically. Unless you have a very patient partner/family member/roommate willing to read your resume with every minor alteration :)

However, you should absolutely modify your cover letter with every single application. If you're not writing a cover letter for each application, you're doing yourself a disservice. Hiring managers come across many, many, many resumes.

If you're truly lost and don't know where to start, I recommend you go to http://www.askamanager.com and read every post in both her Cover Letters and Resumes section. The caveat is that she is a nonprofit manager, not a technical person, but management and hiring is much more about people skills than technical skills and her advice is generally excellent. I've applied most of her principles when hiring and applying for my lab and in several of the previous ones I've worked, with success!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

While I'm in here, anyone want to take a crack at my resume? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NMfmuptc_hVHhBU2JXVDdHSTQ/edit?usp=sharing

As stated in my previous posts I'm cold-calling for a job in the same industry as my current job so there's no specific listing to tailor it to. I removed some identifying information because :tinfoil: but it shouldn't affect any content editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That's quite a bit of white space. Might be better to just put that area as a header instead of on the left. I don't think 'business writing skills' should be on your resume, that should be assumed or demonstrated.

edit: Should you use past-tense for your current job?