Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Would be an amazing idea if DC didn't take themselves so seriously all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Gatts posted:

Well if I'm fancasting JLI with those people...

Beetle: Ben Stiller
Booster: Matthew McConaughey
Guy: Channing Tatum
Martian Manhunter: the Rock
Batman: Mark Wahlberg (like from the Other Guys)
Jason Segal: Captain Atom
Danny McBride can be a villain or Max Lord or something.

I say skip ahead to super buddies

Switch Segal to Elongated Man
Rock to captain atom
Wahlberg to Booster
McConaughey to Maxwell Lord
And add Alison Brie as Mary Marvel
Rashida Jones as Sue Dibney
Olivia Wilde as Fire

Would also accept Sean William Scott as Booster and Will Arnett as Maxwell Lord

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wrong Olivia.

(Olivia Wilde would be an awesome Janet)

Either Olivia would be great actually.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yannick_B posted:

Because it's not purely a Superman movie anymore. It's not about Superman and the Superman characters. It's going to be about Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman. That poster doesn't have Henry Cavill's face on it anymore, he's sharing it with Ben Affleck.

I see a lot of people saying this, and I get why you'd think that way, but why can't Bruce/Diana be written in to continue Clark's narrative arc and still have it be a Superman movie? I personally love the idea of having bigger DC characters play significant roles in each others character development; if anything, it makes the world feel more expansive.

quote:

It might, but they're announcing her 2 years in advance. The plans for Superman/Batman are thrown together because their comic-con announcement was a logo and like, the 9th castmember of Man Of Steel coming in to read a paragraph from DKR. That is the farthest you go from "we're a studio launching this big thing that was planned all along". If something big like the Affleck casting had been done, it would've been announced there.

Haha, ok. Were you the one who got all upset about them not including Superman's trunks in Man of Steel? I forget.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

teagone posted:

I see a lot of people saying this, and I get why you'd think that way, but why can't Bruce/Diana be written in to continue Clark's narrative arc and still have it be a Superman movie? I personally love the idea of having bigger DC characters play significant roles in each others character development; if anything, it makes the world feel more expansive.

I would love it too but...And Bruce and Diana certainly CAN written in to continue Clark's narrative arc, but they'll be in this movie to be showcased and springboarded into other movies. They're not going to be there to be supporting characters in a Superman movie, they're there to be co-leads (Batman for sure). Having other characters can feel more expansive but Man Of Steel barely has a world to expand to begin with! I feel like the movie ends halfway into the origin and the character needs more on his own before meeting other superheroes.

It could still be good! I want it to be good! I want to enjoy Superman and the DCU on the movie screen!

teagone posted:

Haha, ok. Were you the one who got all upset about them not including Superman's trunks in Man of Steel? I forget.

I'm not upset about not including the trunks at all. But I think Zack Snyder and David Goyer sincerely thinking the costume looks "more real" or less silly because of their absence is real dumb.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sion posted:

Morena Baccarin would be good.

I'm not normally into fan casting and such, but I really dig this idea.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Ignite Memories posted:

the new batman movies kinda sucked there i said it

Look how wrong this opinion (and grammar) is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman and Robin was the best Batman movie around and there will never be another good Batman movie again.

Anyway, seeing as there isn't even a script yet or anything we know next to nothing about the next Batman movie so people worried about cramming in too many characters or whatnot are acting...premature? If anything MoS is a great leaping on point for other heroes to come out of the woodwork anyway. We just had to overpowered gods destroy a freaking city. Now it's time to see how the world reacts. If that means a certain Bruce Wayne teams up with Luthor to try develop some defense weapons against Superman awesome. If that means a magical island of women have to try figure out now if Superman is a threat to them seeing that he is an extremely powerful being, well great. There are quite a few ways the next movie can fit organically to MoS and until a trailer comes out, or a little more is known about the movie besides casting, writing it off this early on is pretty stupid.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Get tae gently caress, '66 pisses all over Batman & Robin. Batman & Robin is practically Attack of the Clones levels of loving Awful and all who attempt to defend it should be sent straight to the gulags 're-education' centres for immediate processing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'd honestly skip Batman and have Marky Mark as Max Lord because the casting just fits.

EDIT:

Sentinel Red posted:

Get tae gently caress, '66 pisses all over Batman & Robin. Batman & Robin is practically Attack of the Clones levels of loving Awful and all who attempt to defend it should be sent straight to the gulags 're-education' centres for immediate processing.

Yeah, everyone who likes the movie about gay men and self actualized women fighting against the constant pervasive corrupting power of the patriarchy should be shoved into re-education camps. Hopefully such deviance can get rooted out post-haste.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 20, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'd honestly skip Batman and have Marky Mark as Max Lord because the casting just fits.

EDIT:

Yeah, everyone who likes the movie about gay men and self actualized women fighting against the constant pervasive corrupting power of the patriarchy should be shoved into re-education camps. Hopefully such deviance can get rooted out post-haste.

It's wonderful that Death of the Author lets you construct elaborate fantasies about what you wish a movie represents, but this is the biggest load of horseshit. Batman and Robin isn't even entertaining on a "so bad it's good" level outside of Arnold.

Keep that SMG level crap in CD where I already have it on ignore.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Batman and Robin is dripping with things like issues of masculinity and femininity, how men control women and vis versa in modern society, and how those things influence us as we grow into adulthood. I don't need to quote Zizek to point out that Bruce and Dick suiting up in their skintight benippled suits probably wasn't teehee a butt joke or just something for the ladies.

That doesn't mean that Batman and Robin is a good movie, either. Surprisingly enough sometimes movies have messages and themes but are still bad.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Soonmot posted:

It's wonderful that Death of the Author lets you construct elaborate fantasies about what you wish a movie represents, but this is the biggest load of horseshit. Batman and Robin isn't even entertaining on a "so bad it's good" level outside of Arnold.

Keep that SMG level crap in CD where I already have it on ignore.
So what do nipples on a batsuit mean to you?

E: goddammit Maltose! :argh:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

http://comicsalliance.com/batman-and-robin-movie-review/
http://comicsalliance.com/batman-robin-movie-review/

They make some great points here.

And the set design from B&R was amazing and not matched in any other batman movie.

edit: But it was not a good movie either way.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

That doesn't mean that Batman and Robin is a good movie, either. Surprisingly enough sometimes movies have messages and themes but are still bad.

Well the dude you responded to merely called it awful and you seemed to insinuate that must be due to minority suppression or something, but here you basically agree. Interesting choices and style aside, B&R was pretty awful from an entertainment\plot and writing aspect. I didn't much care for Returns or Forever in recent viewings either.

'66 still got me laughing plenty, always fun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

sleepingbuddha posted:

Look how wrong this opinion (and grammar) is.

Batman is so great when he growls like a six year old doing an impression of someone who clearly isn't batman because batman doesn't loving growl like an idiot!

Christian bale is such a good actor!

I love it when people in the movie literally tell me what the themes and morals of the movie are! Subtlety is for idiots! There is no reason a movie should be better than a children's cartoon made 15 years ago! Guys isn't heath ledger so great because he died? I prefer for my villains to sound like sean connery in a port-a-potty! I will suck christopher nolan's dick for managing to make a batman movie without rubber nipples in it, because my expectations have been lowered just that much!

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 20, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is dripping with things like issues of masculinity and femininity, how men control women and vis versa in modern society, and how those things influence us as we grow into adulthood. I don't need to quote Zizek to point out that Bruce and Dick suiting up in their skintight benippled suits probably wasn't teehee a butt joke or just something for the ladies.

I came off as pretty hostile, which I apologize for, but I still think you are reaching. This isn't Elm Street 2.

That said, I don't think I've watched in well over a decade and have no plans to just because it has themes that I may find appealing if I squint hard enough, because it's a horrible, boring mess of a movie.

But hey, what do I know? I watch Suckerpunch as a critique of the male movie going audience and their support of faux- Strong Female Character movies that really only exist for T&A and the illusion of being progressive. So I guess we can both BS our ways through movies :)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Electromax posted:

Well the dude you responded to merely called it awful and you seemed to insinuate that must be due to minority suppression or something, but here you basically agree. Interesting choices and style aside, B&R was pretty awful from an entertainment\plot and writing aspect. I didn't much care for Returns or Forever in recent viewings either.

'66 still got me laughing plenty, always fun.

He was the dude making the reeducation camp joke, I was just pointing out that it wasn't the best joke to make because, well.

I still think B&R is probably the best Bat film except '66 and maybe the first Burton film.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
So now it's actually official straight from Marvel.
http://marvel.com/news/movies/2013/12/19/21669/paul_rudd_set_to_star_in_marvels_ant-man
Also Edgar Wright's confirmation tweet is great
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/413865161179402240

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Awesome. I love Paul Rudd. He seems more like a Scott Lang guy than Hank Pym, so I'm curious which one they'll be going with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

He has important work to do. Ultron, kick up the 4d3d3d3. Add sequence Scott Lang.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Awesome. I love Paul Rudd. He seems more like a Scott Lang guy than Hank Pym, so I'm curious which one they'll be going with.

Eric O'Grady. It's going to be a National Lampoon picture. Yeah, Ant-man's European vacation. Ths shrinking to get into the women's shower at euro-avengers tower is going to be epic, bro.

epic.

edit: Hold on I did this joke for ASM already. Please disregard.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ughhh I'm so loving hyped for this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's going to be 'Hank Pym'.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just noticed that this is apparently set inside Cerebro.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

It's going to be 'Hank Pym'.

Yeah there's no way it's not Hank Pym. Marvel will just never mention the wife beating thing and that'll be it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

He has important work to do. Ultron, kick up the 4d3d3d3. Add sequence Scott Lang.

Can I get a nude Lang?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gatts posted:

My dream JLI cast is still:

Beetle: Adam Scott
Booster: Joel McHale
Guy Gardner: Adam Baldwin
Fire: Sofia Vergara
Ice: Malin Akerman
Captain Marvel: Patrick Warburton
Power Girl: Christina Applegate
Flash (Wally!): Neil Patrick Harris
Elongated Man: Bill Hader
Sue Dibny: Lizzy Caplan
Max Lord: Sam Neill
Martian Manhunter: Harry Lennix

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude, you are really good at that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sorry, but Channing Tatum pretty much won the role of Guy in 21 Jump Street, aka Green Lantern and Blue Beetle's High School Caper.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Gatts posted:

In that group Batman needs to be the gruff strait-man. This is a version of Batman that almost never jokes, but when he does it's creepy and freaks everyone out. Karl Urban would be great for that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Flash (Wally!): Neil Patrick Harris
Martian Manhunter: Harry Lennix

Aaron Paul or Bradley Cooper look more like The Flash to me and both would be pretty good for a JLI comedy. Harry Lennix would be great, but if it's part of an integrated movie universe he's already the general from Man of Steel.

VV I could deffinately buy Urban one shoting Adam Baldwin or Channing Tatum. VV

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 20, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I think in that group Batman needs to be the gruff strait-man. This is a version of Batman that almost never jokes, but when he does it's creepy and freaks everyone out. Karl Urban would be great for that.

He also can throw a sweet punch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
drat Sam Neil as Max Lord would be perfect

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

drat Sam Neil as Max Lord would be perfect
Literally no other choice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

redbackground posted:

Literally no other choice.
Now I just have to find a character that Jeff Goldblum can play because him and Sam had great chemistry in Jurassic Park

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

IGN reports (from a Latino Review source) that Avengers 2 might have another villain that could explain the origins of Wanda and Pietro. Possible spoilers:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/20/another-avengers-age-of-ultron-villain-revealed

The rumored villain is Baron Von Strucker, HYDRA leader and father of superpowered twins Andreas and Andrea in the comics.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Makes sense, and that'd be easy to lead into from Cap 2. Redford could even be Strucker, if they modified the backstory on Secret Warriors a bit

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rogue has been cut from Days of Future Past

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/20/x-men-days-future-past-rogue-anna-paquin/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Good. I hope they re-cast her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That headline sounds worse than it is. They cut one scene she was in, drastically reducing her screentime, which leads me to believe she was only in the movie for like 5 minutes to begin with. A shame, but maybe it'll be on the blu-ray.

• Locked thread