Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
As bad of a show as Beast Machines was, at least it fulfilled the basic competence of having characters go from A to B in a way that you could understand. The anime shows were poo poo, and prove that Japan should design the toys (and maybe do the art) and America should write the loving things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I understand not liking the G1 anime shows in general, but for some reason I really liked Victory. I shocked myself by actually laughing at Dinoforce (I usually loathe anime-style comedy characters), the animation quality is higher than usual, and the plots usually make some kind of sense. Like, at least Beast Wars season 1 levels of sense.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

GD_American posted:

Japan should design the toys (and maybe do the art) and America should write the loving things.

After seeing the Transformers Go! figures, I'm not so sure about that first part.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

No Your Other Left posted:

After seeing the Transformers Go! figures, I'm not so sure about that first part.

yeah on second thought Hasbro has had some great designs come out of RI the last 10 years so scratch that

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Japan has made some really kickass giant robot shows (in fact, they pretty much invented it), so why they suck so bad at Transformers is anyone's guess. Maybe it's because they're sentient and not piloted mecha? And gently caress, Gaogaigar had sentient not-transformers too so I dunno what the gently caress.

I think the bottom line is nobody cares about Transformers in Japan so no effort is put into the series, and it's aimed at VERY young children - basically the Bakugan and Pokemon crowd I suppose.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I watched Energon and Cybertron as the actual shows with subtitles. I found Superlink and Galaxy Force pretty fun to watch as a Japanese childrens cartoon. The English dub of those were terrible though and I still don't know why they ad-libbed filler lines when there wasn't any lines spoken originally. I love the toy lines that came with them. I saw some of the Transformers Go toys when I was in Japan and they looked really bad in person with the plastic looking cheap and fragile.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like there are new Single pack Minicons out.

I'll be taking pictures of them soon.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I should note that while I do hate Beast Machines on a special level because of the lovely writing of the Beast Wars characters, I was able to watch the whole thing on DVD without too much trouble. I have yet to actually make it through more than half a season of any of the Unicron Trilogy drivel, so I would not call BM the worst TF series on its own merits. It may be bad, but it's not (generally) insulting.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Japan has made some really kickass giant robot shows (in fact, they pretty much invented it), so why they suck so bad at Transformers is anyone's guess. Maybe it's because they're sentient and not piloted mecha? And gently caress, Gaogaigar had sentient not-transformers too so I dunno what the gently caress.

I will just never understand why Japan doesn't seem to think "giant alien robots who transform into other things" is a good enough hook for a show, and insist on introducing all the weird mystical poo poo and tone-deaf slapstick into it. In all the years Transformers have existed, how the hell hasn't at least one of the Japan-produced shows been something along the lines of MS 08th Squad?

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 19, 2013

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keldroc posted:

I should note that while I do hate Beast Machines on a special level because of the lovely writing of the Beast Wars characters, I was able to watch the whole thing on DVD without too much trouble. I have yet to actually make it through more than half a season of any of the Unicron Trilogy drivel, so I would not call BM the worst TF series on its own merits. It may be bad, but it's not (generally) insulting.

I will just never understand why Japan doesn't seem to think "giant alien robots who transform into other things" is a good enough hook for a show, and insist on introducing all the weird mystical poo poo and tone-deaf slapstick into it. In all the years Transformers have existed, how the hell hasn't at least one of the Japan-produced shows been something along the lines of MS 08th Squad?

Don't you mean 08th MS Team?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Japan has made some really kickass giant robot shows (in fact, they pretty much invented it), so why they suck so bad at Transformers is anyone's guess.
Because shonen anime has specific tropes, patterns and formulaic writing that do not mesh well with Transformers. Picture Last Stand of the Wreckers with: Cliffhangers at every fight scene. Robots bent over, panting. Powering up. "You can't take on Overlord, his power level is too high!" Powering up their power level, with grunting, to take on his power level. Heart of the Cards. Friendship no jutsu. "That attack won't work on me, because <some overwrought explanation>." Weirdly inserted english words, or when translated, weirdly retained Japanese words that would directly translate.

And yeah, what Keldroc said - That stuff goes in shonen too. Imagine Overlord's two wacky sidekicks, and a scene where they dance around with sweat drops on their head.

How many of these bits did AEC have in it? I watched like nine seconds of Headmasters and I know it had all of this poo poo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Cliffhangers at every fight scene

I pictured Cliffjumpers at every fight scene and was ok with it

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

I think the idea that mechanical beings on a mechanical planet are judged by their oracle to be living "incorrectly" because they have not integrated organic life into their society is an insultingly dumb and generic typical 90s Captain Planet "go green" message.

Also Bob Skir gets a lot of the blame, but I think it's important to remember that Marv Wolfman, one of the most boring and talentless men ever to write a billion comic books, developed the show and contributed many of the scripts.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the bottom line is nobody cares about Transformers in Japan so no effort is put into the series, and it's aimed at VERY young children - basically the Bakugan and Pokemon crowd I suppose.

None of the bots in the entire Brave line don't transform in some fashion. Even Mic Sounders transforms from a smaller robot to a bigger robot.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Don't you mean 08th MS Team?

I mean the good down-to-earth Gundam show whose name I didn't bother to Google before mentioning it because I assumed people who knew the show would be competent enough to figure out what I was referring to.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think the idea that mechanical beings on a mechanical planet are judged by their oracle to be living "incorrectly" because they have not integrated organic life into their society is an insultingly dumb and generic typical 90s Captain Planet "go green" message.

This pissed me off watching the show as a kid, all it did was make Optimus look like some kind of religious fanatic and Megatron seem kind of reasonable in comparison. I've got no issues with playing up that angle (the Bay films seem to revel in it) but I don't think the writers intended it that way in BM.

For all it's problems, as soon as we started getting the shows in from Japan I missed Beast Machines. To this day I can't believe that many years of terrible, terrible anime didn't utterly kill my interest in the franchise. Transtech would have been trippy as balls, I wish we had gotten that.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
For whatever reason, Japan does not like giant robots that are sentient. Piloted giant robots are okay, and small sentient robots are okay, and giant robots piloted by a smaller robot (or the big robot being an extension of the smaller one) are all okay, though, so I have no idea. *shrugs*
If they do another Transformers anime any time soon, I'm guessing it'll be a "the toys themselves are alive" show, since that's pretty much where the genre has gone lately.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Tighclops posted:

To this day I can't believe that many years of terrible, terrible anime didn't utterly kill my interest in the franchise.

From 2002 - 2006 I only purchased Battle Ravage. Then I went into a TRU and saw Cybertron, BW10, Alternators, and Classics on the shelves and fell off the wagon so drat hard.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

None of the bots in the entire Brave line don't transform in some fashion. Even Mic Sounders transforms from a smaller robot to a bigger robot.

I mean "not-transformers" in that guys like Volfogg are basically Transformers in all but name, not that they don't transform.

Keldroc posted:

I mean the good down-to-earth Gundam show whose name I didn't bother to Google before mentioning it because I assumed people who knew the show would be competent enough to figure out what I was referring to.

To be fair, Gundam sort of went downhill within the last decade so it might not be the most apt choice - Unicorn and Build Fighters have been the only Gundam shows I've liked since Turn A (which was made in 1999!)

But yeah, I would LOVE a quality Transformers anime, but stuff like old school Gundam, Macross, Patlabor etc is sort of more aimed at a teenage demographic while Transformers is like, aimed at toddlers in Japan.

SpikeMcclane posted:

For whatever reason, Japan does not like giant robots that are sentient. Piloted giant robots are okay, and small sentient robots are okay, and giant robots piloted by a smaller robot (or the big robot being an extension of the smaller one) are all okay, though, so I have no idea. *shrugs*

When you think about it, a giant loving robot with a mind of its own is a bit of a scary thought. When you have a mindless robot with a pilot, you don't have to worry about it going out of control as much! (Well, unless it's an Evangelion and those aren't technically robots, anyway.)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

To be fair, Gundam sort of went downhill within the last decade so it might not be the most apt choice - Unicorn and Build Fighters have been the only Gundam shows I've liked since Turn A (which was made in 1999!)

Oh, I am well aware of what's happened to Gundam. I was specifically calling that particular show out as an example of the approach I wish just one Japanese TF show had taken.

quote:

But yeah, I would LOVE a quality Transformers anime, but stuff like old school Gundam, Macross, Patlabor etc is sort of more aimed at a teenage demographic while Transformers is like, aimed at toddlers in Japan.

True, but you'd think by this point the brand is big enough worldwide that Hasbro could just tell Japan "Give us something that won't loving mortify us" and they could grit their teeth and do it for at least one season.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Transformers seems to take place in a niche of science fiction that doesn't seem to have any Japanese equivalent.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SlothfulCobra posted:

Transformers seems to take place in a niche of science fiction that doesn't seem to have any Japanese equivalent.

T...The loving Transformers, dogg. Or like, anything from the Brave series? The entire Super Robot genre? The show is straight up called, Fight! Super Robot Lifeform: Transformers

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 20, 2013

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Keldroc posted:

The only other show I can think of that would fit that is Gunparade March. Not the Orchestra one but the older on that came out in early 2000s. It ran the cliche of high school kids pilot robots but had a more grounded tone about battles and war.

Wasn't there suppose to be an anime made to go with Transformers GO! or was that just a rumor?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Nah, that came out. I think TVN subtitled it?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The actual Transformers toys came from Japan a couple years before the show even existed - the Diaclone and Microman lines. Of course, Diaclone had no fiction beyond the pamphlets that came with the toys and they were piloted mecha instead of sentient robots, but Transformers is Japanese in its origin - it just had an American-made cartoon. Same applies to Gobots, which was originally Machine Robo. I've never seen any Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos, I'm just familiar with the toys, but they are sentient robots in that, aren't they?

And Gaogaigar has a bunch of not-Transformers in it that look and act just like Transformers. Almost all transformers have faces and design cues typical of your average Japanese super robot, like Brave Raideen.

Dude looks a lot like a Transformer.

In fact, before Mazinger Z (the first piloted robot), there was Tetsujin 28, or Gigantor, although Gigantor was remote controlled by a little kid. Giant Robo is very similar to Gigantor, who also hangs out with a little kid, but has some degree of intelligence, although he just kinda grunts instead of talking. Giant Robo has a really awesome OVA, by the way.

The Giant Robo OVA is similar to Big O, which is also awesome.

I don't think Japanese animators are ever going to take Transformers seriously, though. We are never getting a more serious, mature Transformers anime in the same vein as Universal Century Gundam stuff. Hell, we're luckily if the Transformers in the anime get any characterization at all, which they rarely do beyond "heroic hero man", "evil bad guy" and "comic relief butt monkey."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same applies to Gobots, which was originally Machine Robo. I've never seen any Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos, I'm just familiar with the toys, but they are sentient robots in that, aren't they?

The Gobots are actually cyborgs! Gobotron was a dying planet, so the inhabitants put their brains into robotic bodies to survive.

I've just realised this is also the origin story of the Cybermen too. Leader-1 exclaiming "We muzzzzzt sur-vive!" comes to mind.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I figure someone's going to suggest that there be a show that's American written and japanese animated, but that's what we just had with Prime.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The Gobots are actually cyborgs! Gobotron was a dying planet, so the inhabitants put their brains into robotic bodies to survive.

I've just realised this is also the origin story of the Cybermen too. Leader-1 exclaiming "We muzzzzzt sur-vive!" comes to mind.

That's the Gobots, I mean this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4IqLfzHwg

And this is what we got:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ARpYKUoNB8

Also, I caught an episode of Ben 10 one morning and it has loving Crasher from the Gobots in it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This is what the vehicle mode looks like on a 60 dollar toy. For $18, I'm pleased to have a huge, ugly Optimus. For $60 I'd return this POS.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Joe Fisto posted:

This is what the vehicle mode looks like on a 60 dollar toy. For $18, I'm pleased to have a huge, ugly Optimus. For $60 I'd return this POS.

Does he feel heavy at all or is he mostly hollow?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, I caught an episode of Ben 10 one morning and it has loving Crasher from the Gobots in it.

Crasher's my favorite, I'm gonna need all the details.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Crasher's my favorite, I'm gonna need all the details.

http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Fistina

Crasher was awesome, and had one of my favorite voices. She should really be rolled into proper Transformers continuity

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

There seem to be two type of big Transformers, awesome ones like Unicron, Primus, Metroplex, and lame ones that are basically (or literally) blown up voyagers or simpler. Fortunately the kiddie and movie lines are the ones that get the simple ones. I mean not that Metroplex is all that complex, but at least he's got nice detailing. The big giant Bumblebees are just insulting.

catch22 posted:

http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Fistina

Crasher was awesome, and had one of my favorite voices. She should really be rolled into proper Transformers continuity
You're in luck, kind of: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fracture_%28Movie%29

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Does he feel heavy at all or is he mostly hollow?

It's fairly light. Most of the weight feels like it's from the weird backpack gimmick. The lower legs are hollow. The front truck bits hide in there. Transformation is very basic. It feels like one of the upscaled legends figures.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I got Skids today and oh my god I love him so much.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That reminds me, apparently all Skids are coming mis-assembled. The upper leg parts are swapped right for left, and it's easy to verify if yours is affected because they're labeled L and R. Fortunately it's just the very top part of the leg right where it connects to the hip so you can fix it without any tools, just pop the leg off the balljoint then slide the top part off the rest of the upper leg and swap it. When it's fixed Skids can move his legs forward without that center ridge hitting the hip.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That Optimus Prime would be a disgrace no matter what size he's at. Look at that wacky anime sword on the side. Look at the weird-rear end front. Look at the fact that there's a hole right in the middle of the goddamn thing. And seriously, why does he need a goofy cannon wheel? If they really wanted to stick guns on Optimus that bad, they could just turn him into a tank.

It seems like all the movie transformers since the Real Gear line and that one toaster are just poo poo.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That's a TFP Optimus, not a movie Optimus, although I'm sure there will be similar shortcomings in the TF4 toys judging by what we've seen so far.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

"oh hey I never looked at TF stuff on Etsy let's see wha-"

http://www.etsy.com/listing/112337112/body-pilllow-case-of-transformers-g1?ref=related-4

:stare:

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Knormal posted:

That reminds me, apparently all Skids are coming mis-assembled. The upper leg parts are swapped right for left, and it's easy to verify if yours is affected because they're labeled L and R. Fortunately it's just the very top part of the leg right where it connects to the hip so you can fix it without any tools, just pop the leg off the balljoint then slide the top part off the rest of the upper leg and swap it. When it's fixed Skids can move his legs forward without that center ridge hitting the hip.

I just tried to do this and the ball joint broke off inside his thigh/hip piece. Bought him out of state and the receipt is long gone; so long $18.

So uh, everyone be careful if you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Look at this magnificent bastard that came yesterday.