Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

bam thwok posted:

You must think people who skip commercials on their DVR are monsters.

Love this point, please respond to this, RZA! (I am actually interested in hearing where you weigh in on this).

I don't mind the ads in the apps I use, because pretty much the only stuff I install with ads are games that I use as little time-killers occasionally.

On the other hand, as a general concept I think ads in apps is pretty terrible, and a much better set up is to release a plus version or have optional micro-transactions or something. Even if you can't find any extra features to put in the paid version, there are a few apps that I've purchased the plus version of where it has no different features, and the description just says it's the same and that they would appreciate it if people purchased it to support it.

Also, I just got a cheap fasttech QI charger for my Nexus 4, and am absolutely loving it! The phone gets a little warm while charging, but not horribly so, and it's been really good about being able to keep the charge at 100% without being constantly on, or letting it drop down too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

surc posted:

Love this point, please respond to this, RZA! (I am actually interested in hearing where you weigh in on this).

I don't mind the ads in the apps I use, because pretty much the only stuff I install with ads are games that I use as little time-killers occasionally.

On the other hand, as a general concept I think ads in apps is pretty terrible, and a much better set up is to release a plus version or have optional micro-transactions or something. Even if you can't find any extra features to put in the paid version, there are a few apps that I've purchased the plus version of where it has no different features, and the description just says it's the same and that they would appreciate it if people purchased it to support it.

Also, I just got a cheap fasttech QI charger for my Nexus 4, and am absolutely loving it! The phone gets a little warm while charging, but not horribly so, and it's been really good about being able to keep the charge at 100% without being constantly on, or letting it drop down too far.

Is the monetization of an web/mobile ad is when it's loaded and displayed or just clicked on?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

big mean giraffe posted:

Seconding this, but if you don't want tasker there's an app called flashlight led genius that does just this.

The setup screen for this is incomprehensible, but my main gripe is: is there any way to get rid of the persistent notification?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Cakefool posted:

The setup screen for this is incomprehensible, but my main gripe is: is there any way to get rid of the persistent notification?

Tap the notification and deselect show notifications.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Long Francesco posted:

Tap the notification and deselect show notifications.

I tried this, and it then proceeded to not work. I don't remember it having that persistent notification before.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, some money (obscuring with your finger) vs. no money (ad is never loaded).

Ads pay out for clicks not impressions.

edit: (Or, at least all the big ad platforms. There's like a bajillion of them so I can't say for sure that there's not some dummies paying for impressions.)

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 19, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Weird, it still works fine without the notification for me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

surc posted:

The real answer is idgaf, but the effect is magnified to app developers as opposed to media companies putting commercials on tv. If you skip every commercial during the super bowl, they're not going to stop televising them because enough people don't skip them. Of course, their viewership is many, many times the amount of the average android app and tv commercials are only a portion of their revenue. App developers are on a different level where many of them only have ads as a revenue stream. They provide you a service as a way to entice you to view the ads. They are not putting their time into development and server upkeep so you can use their service for free. It may not cost you money, but it isn't "free". Many developers (especially on android) will resort to adding ads as a revenue stream because the purchase rates are so low/piracy rates are so high. If you want to use their product or service without providing them any benefit in return, you are a sponge and it is not in their interests to serve you. You aren't a customer at that point, and they are losing money as a direct result of your being a sponge. This is why some developers choose to either skip android or do just enough to have a presence. This is why the android app ecosystem is sub-par compared to ios. It's you, adblockers and pirates. It's directly your fault.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Ads pay out for clicks not impressions.

edit: (Or, at least all the big ad platforms. There's like a bajillion of them so I can't say for sure that there's not some dummies paying for impressions.)

That may be true for most networks, but don't think they don't monitor impressions as a way to decide the payout rate. Platforms with more impressions (larger audience) will have a higher payout rate, since that audience is more valuable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

It's you, adblockers and pirates. It's directly your fault.

Which way to Oz Dorothy? Some strawman nonsense going on here. There's a ton of reasons why Android as an environment is not as compelling as iOS. Your two are a drop in the bucket. I doubt devs even think about adblockers, since it requires root and there's a TON of devices that don't root easily.

EDIT:

Also if ads don't pay out per click, but on impression, if I block them or don't click on them, the devs don't make any money either way. What's the difference? Should I be required to click on ads for the game to continue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wish Google would block sideloading just to gently caress over Amazon App Store users, personally. If it helps with piracy that's fine too.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

RZA Encryption posted:

The real answer is idgaf, but the effect is magnified to app developers as opposed to media companies putting commercials on tv. If you skip every commercial during the super bowl, they're not going to stop televising them because enough people don't skip them. Of course, their viewership is many, many times the amount of the average android app and tv commercials are only a portion of their revenue. App developers are on a different level where many of them only have ads as a revenue stream. They provide you a service as a way to entice you to view the ads. They are not putting their time into development and server upkeep so you can use their service for free. It may not cost you money, but it isn't "free". Many developers (especially on android) will resort to adding ads as a revenue stream because the purchase rates are so low/piracy rates are so high. If you want to use their product or service without providing them any benefit in return, you are a sponge and it is not in their interests to serve you. You aren't a customer at that point, and they are losing money as a direct result of your being a sponge. This is why some developers choose to either skip android or do just enough to have a presence. This is why the android app ecosystem is sub-par compared to ios. It's you, adblockers and pirates. It's directly your fault.

You used a pretty bombastic tv/media example to contrast with app developers that are scrounging to make their business model viable.

edit: what it seems you're saying is that we should be more willing to endure ads for lower quality, smaller-time services than for superior ones. Why? Because they need us to?

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 19, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

That may be true for most networks, but don't think they don't monitor impressions as a way to decide the payout rate. Platforms with more impressions (larger audience) will have a higher payout rate, since that audience is more valuable.

I don't want an ad networks but everything I've read says that they want to serve the smallest number of ads possible whilst still catching all the clickers. If you're blocking ads you're not a clicker.

I don't block ads because I don't give a gently caress and I only root so I can back up stuff with Titanium Backup. I just think the evidence isn't strong enough to stake the position you have with the certainty you have.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I wish Google would block sideloading just to gently caress over Amazon App Store users, personally. If it helps with piracy that's fine too.
But, freedom! I'd rather it be a huge pain in the rear end to do so that someone has to take an hour just to pirate one 99 cent application.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Apparently the Moto G's getting 4.4.2 today.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-download-moto-g-gets-android-442.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Has the galaxy line been updated to 4.4 yet?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Don Lapre posted:

Has the galaxy line been updated to 4.4 yet?
Nope, January for the S4 and Note 3 is the latest rumor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Motorola makin' other OEMs look like clowns. Their poorphone is getting the current version of Android and Samsung and HTC don't even have their flagships there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Motorola makin' other OEMs look like clowns. Their poorphone is getting the current version of Android and Samsung and HTC don't even have their flagships there.

They would give you 4.4 now but you would miss out on all the features you turned off the day you got your phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of ads and ad revenue, Droid Life put up an interesting article on what could be done about it or how ads can be shown differently. It mentions things like how Tumblr and Instagram integrate ads into their apps that are as if they're actual posts so it doesn't break the flow of the app. These posts actually don't hide that they are ads (in Tumblr's case, it has a $ on it with a moving graphic to catch your eye so you know it's not a real post).

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/19/solving-advertising-revenue-on-android-opinion/

kitten smoothie posted:

Well of course. It's Android Police, not Android Fire Department.

By the way, this was pretty funny and it made me laugh when I was having a kinda lovely morning so thanks for this.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

RZA Encryption posted:

It's you, adblockers and pirates. It's directly your fault.

This is 100% true and anyone who's debating this point...frankly doesn't have one.

There have been enough statistics, experiments, and outright proof that piracy is rampant on Android. If anyone was going to put the work into supporting 95 different phones in their app in the first place, the fact that Android sees reports of 80% piracy, 95% piracy, 90% piracy and so on is probably going to make you less enthusiastic about making your app spotless on Android

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

My wife's Moto G is still on 4.3 and no updates available—any idea what gives?

Oh, they're starting with the latest patched version and not with 4.4/4.4.1.

Dayum.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Proteus4994 posted:

This is 100% true and anyone who's debating this point...frankly doesn't have one.

There have been enough statistics, experiments, and outright proof that piracy is rampant on Android. If anyone was going to put the work into supporting 95 different phones in their app in the first place, the fact that Android sees reports of 80% piracy, 95% piracy, 90% piracy and so on is probably going to make you less enthusiastic about making your app spotless on Android

From the first article you linked

quote:

Another common feature: both companies report that nearly 100% of their Chinese customers downloaded the app illegally(in Dead Trigger's case) or that nearly 100% of the overall pirated copies originated in China (in Wind-Up Knight's case)
It's still a problem, but the problem is that google needs to be able to sell stuff to Chinese customers, not that there's a ton of filthy freeloaders stealing from hard working developers. None of the pirated copies can be considered lost sales due to piracy because it is impossible for these customers to buy the games at all.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

THF13 posted:

It's still a problem, but the problem is that google needs to be able to sell stuff to Chinese customers, not that there's a ton of filthy freeloaders stealing from hard working developers. None of the pirated copies can be considered lost sales due to piracy because it is impossible for these customers to buy the games at all.

Ah, OK, so it's not American software pirates. It's all the Chinese's fault. Got it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

THF13 posted:

From the first article you linked

If only it could be as simple as "oh it would never have been a sale, I can't lose any sleep over this."

It's that lots of apps have some sort of backend server infrastructure for in-app content, sharing, leaderboards, etc. If a developer has to scale their system out to support 100,000 users, but only 10,000 are actual paying customers, they're getting screwed.

It's not a lost sale; it's worse than a lost sale. If there's an incremental cost for each new user, then you're losing money for every additional pirate user, as opposed to just getting $0.

And all that aside, "they won't sell it to me in my country" is not a valid justification for pirating it.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
piracy is bad, imo.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there any reason to wait to buy a Nexus 5 instead of ordering one right now? Saw someone mention possible hardware revisions?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

It's that lots of apps have some sort of backend server infrastructure for in-app content, sharing, leaderboards, etc. If a developer has to scale their system out to support 100,000 users, but only 10,000 are actual paying customers, they're getting screwed.

Pretty sure Google handles all that with Play Games.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I am not trying to defend app piracy, just arguing that the productive thing to do as an app developer is to yell at google for not providing a way to sell your product to the hundreds of millions of customers in China.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

I don't think anyone was arguing that it wasn't true, but was arguing over how big of a deal developers should make of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nerve posted:

Is there any reason to wait to buy a Nexus 5 instead of ordering one right now? Saw someone mention possible hardware revisions?

It looks like those revisions are actually out right now so I don't see a reason to wait.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My MAXX shows just 4.4 but the easter egg screen is cool. No issues so far, updated over wifi while I was at work. More Google Now stuff it seems, I really like the 'Find my phone' command.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

THF13 posted:

I am not trying to defend app piracy, just arguing that the productive thing to do as an app developer is to yell at google for not providing a way to sell your product to the hundreds of millions of customers in China.

Google services are blocked in China so unless they provide free VPNs...also Android phones in China also don't ship with any Google stuff anyway.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think anyone was arguing that it wasn't true, but was arguing over how big of a deal developers should make of it.

I'm just saying that if programming for so many android devices isn't enough of a deterrent to really commit a lot of time and effort into their app, the piracy problem sure isn't going to help.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

TheBuilder posted:

Google services are blocked in China so unless they provide free VPNs...also Android phones in China also don't ship with any Google stuff anyway.

Are you sure they're blocked? I was in Chengdu and Changsha for a month last year and was able to access Gmail and Drive without going through a proxy (unless every hotel and internet cafe was routing traffic through a proxy). Facebook and Twitter were blocked though; eventually I got fed up trying to go through a VPN and discovered that Logmein isn't blocked and just logged into my home machine in America :911:

edit: actually I know for a fact that you can access Google services because I was able to get to the US Play Store and download apps.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 20, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

1st AD posted:

Are you sure they're blocked? I was in Chengdu and Changsha for a month last year and was able to access Gmail and Drive without going through a proxy (unless every hotel and internet cafe was routing traffic through a proxy). Facebook and Twitter were blocked though; eventually I got fed up trying to go through a VPN and discovered that Logmein isn't blocked and just logged into my home machine in America :911:

edit: actually I know for a fact that you can access Google services because I was able to get to the US Play Store and download apps.

Google services are not blocked in China with the exception of Youtube and Search. Going to google.cn just displays an image linking to google.com.hk.

I don't remember if there is a Google Play for China, but it is true most phones don't ship with Play Store, with companies like Oppo and Xiaomi providing their own alternatives similar to Samsung.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

AlexDeGruven posted:

As long as they're not intrusive rear end in a top hat ads, I'll keep them on if there's no paid option. Rovio has gotten pretty good at this.
Are you making GBS threads me? Rovio are loving TERRIBLE at this.

I play Angry Birds (yes, still) with the sound off, but that doesn't stop their loving video ads playing with sound, and then that turns on the in-game sounds for a couple of seconds.

/Rant

My missus just got a cheap SGS3 and I am de-Touchwizing it for her, even at 720p the PenTile matrix is obvious to me. gently caress PenTile.

/Other rant

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

So, uh, a silly question. I've just got my new N5. But since I bought it from UK, the charger isn't exactly compatible with my sockets. Apple's adapters are just a standard AC to USB adapter, right? So it should be safe to just use those instead?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Any 5v USB adaptor will be grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ulvir posted:

So, uh, a silly question. I've just got my new N5. But since I bought it from UK, the charger isn't exactly compatible with my sockets. Apple's adapters are just a standard AC to USB adapter, right? So it should be safe to just use those instead?

It's save but it probably won't charge as fast as the original charger.

• Locked thread