Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pile of Kittens posted:

I just came down with norovirus and spent a day and a half puking into a basin near my bed. Now I'm better and I've been cleaning up. Guess where I found my missing ball of yarn that I hand-dyed specifically for Christmas presents? :suicide:

Just tell your giftee that it's a new colorway from noro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like Noro yarn, but sometimes they throw in an odd color I wish that wasn't there.

That said, has anyone found the new Tudor Rose knitting book? It looks really cool and I wanted to chuck it on a wishlist...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yeah, we got Tudor Roses in at my LYS. It is SUPER pretty, not sure if I would ever make something from it, but the pictures and styling are fun to page through. It has a good amount of history on the Tudors, especially the women in the family.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Drei posted:

Yeah, we got Tudor Roses in at my LYS. It is SUPER pretty, not sure if I would ever make something from it, but the pictures and styling are fun to page through. It has a good amount of history on the Tudors, especially the women in the family.

Awesome. I'm told the last one had crazy 80s colors stuff, but the new one is awesome. Haven't seen it anywhere yet though.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Oooh my library has that on order... gonna stalk that.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Well, thanks to everyone's assistance, I was able to make my first hexipuff. It turned out kinda squishy/odd figure but I think its ok.

This'll be a long project but a good one for just taking up time.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nibblet posted:

Well, thanks to everyone's assistance, I was able to make my first hexipuff. It turned out kinda squishy/odd figure but I think its ok.

This'll be a long project but a good one for just taking up time.

Looks good! How long did it take?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Drei posted:

I kind of want to do a second one out of this book. After the mess that was the last one :D Even in the original version the sleeves must have been pinned to fit the model. Otherwise you'd see that huge leg o'mutton style puff in them...

Must knit second Katherine Howard. Must.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Mad Hamish posted:

Looks good! How long did it take?

Not very long at all, like maybe....20 minutes?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
What's up knitting people?

So, my wife and I moved to North Carolina about six months ago from the northeast. I used to know when & where the big knit/crochet/"fiber arts" festivals and fairs were (or at least I thought I knew pretty well for a guy) and we had a lot of fun doing the circuit each year and always had them marked out on the calendar.

After moving we caught the Southeast Animal Fiber Festival down in Fletcher and had a blast, but I haven't seen another good-looking show advertised except for one in April in Tennessee.

Does anyone have recommendations on other shows in the South to check out? Totally open to driving and exploring - we've been cooped up way too long and want to go see as much as we can.

Also - Web's was like the epicenter of yarn where we used to live, is there anything similar here? My wife has been kind of down and I would love to cheer her up.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Stitches South (also in April) is held in Atlanta if you're willing to make the drive. If it's anything like Stitches West it's got an enormous vendor hall you could easily spend 2 days in, plus tons of classes taught by well known designers and instructors.

I don't think there's much comparable to WEBS, but you may want to look up other yarn stores in the area (Yelp reviews usually give a good sense of customer service, I use Ravelry to get an idea of what yarns they sell). If you go visit be sure to chat with the employees there if they seem friendly, maybe mention you guys just moved here and they may have recommendations including yarn festivals or knit nights (some stores host weekly ones). You can also go online to see if there are any local knitting groups (searching groups on Ravelry for your city may yield results, or meetup.com). When I first moved to my city I was feeling down about too, and finding a group where I fit in was one of the best things I could have done.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Operating Rod posted:

So, my wife and I moved to North Carolina about six months ago from the northeast. I used to know when & where the big knit/crochet/"fiber arts" festivals and fairs were (or at least I thought I knew pretty well for a guy) and we had a lot of fun doing the circuit each year and always had them marked out on the calendar.

After moving we caught the Southeast Animal Fiber Festival down in Fletcher and had a blast, but I haven't seen another good-looking show advertised except for one in April in Tennessee.

Does anyone have recommendations on other shows in the South to check out? Totally open to driving and exploring - we've been cooped up way too long and want to go see as much as we can.

Also - Web's was like the epicenter of yarn where we used to live, is there anything similar here? My wife has been kind of down and I would love to cheer her up.

Asheville is stuffed full of artists and crafty people. I don't know if that's an easy drive for you, but I'd look up events there. I know they have lots of street fairs where you could meet some neat people.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Operating Rod posted:

What part of NC are you in? I would talk to Baskets of Yarn in Charlotte (they are in fb, ravelry, or you can call. They are all over that kind of stuff and can help you. My fiancée started knit and crochet this year. She lives in Charlotte (I'm originally from NC but currently reside in SC) and BoY is out go to for yarn related events.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
Wow, thanks for all the advice!

I'm in Winston, so we can definitely get to Asheville and Charlotte. I just looked at Stitches South and it looks insane - going to have to make a trip out of it.

Thanks everyone!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

(Please ignore the mess, I literally just threw stuff on the floor while trying to make room to take this picture.)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Good lord, is that a scarf? It's freaking huge!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

It would have been a scarf if I'd bought the right sized yarn. As it is, it's more of a wall hanging or a throw for the foot of the bed or something to drape across a couch. I'm mailing it to my in-laws tomorrow.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

sithwitch13 posted:

It would have been a scarf if I'd bought the right sized yarn. As it is, it's more of a wall hanging or a throw for the foot of the bed or something to drape across a couch. I'm mailing it to my in-laws tomorrow.

Totally a scarf. :catbert: A large, cumbersome scarf a la Tom Baker, but a. Scarf nonetheless.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Posted on Facebook today:

Knitting tip:
When casting on a large number of stitches using the long-tail method, tie two balls of yarn together to avoid running out of tail.
(The knot does not count as a stitch.)

...loving genius. I had no idea.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Sooooo stealing that! I was 3 stitches short on one the other day, I could have cried.

Your one ring scarf/wrap/blanket is gorgeous. Well done you. :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Knit faster! It's almost Christmas! AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I am about 3/4 done with a glove I need done in 2 hours. I've definitely got this.

(I do not have my mother's shawl done. Woops.)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Christmas morning is over here, thank god. Presents went down great, everyone was very enthusiastic. Technically I haven't finished them all, but the ones I haven't finished aren't being gifted til I get home after Christmas anyway, so pfft. Merry Christmas all! I hope your gifts are received with the gratitude they deserve :).

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The only thing I knit this year was this for my Grandmother (partially because that one project took FOREEEEVEEEEEEER). She almost cried. :haw:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My mom chose yarn for a cowl around Thanksgiving, but wouldn't pick a pattern until last night. Guess who's getting a ball of yarn under the tree!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Merry Christmas!

I got send some more Cupcake yarn. It's so fluuuuuuuuuffy!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there a weaving thread on SA? I didn't see one in the DIY/Hobbies, but thought I'd ask just in case. On the topic of weaving- is there a site for weavers/weaving that is the equivalent of Ravelry or something similar? I bought a rigid heddle loom and I'd love to find a website for inspiration/patterns/etc. Thanks for any/all suggestions/help!

Also Merry Christmas! (or Happy Holidays for those who don't partake of Christmas!)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Peppercat posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there a weaving thread on SA? I didn't see one in the DIY/Hobbies, but thought I'd ask just in case. On the topic of weaving- is there a site for weavers/weaving that is the equivalent of Ravelry or something similar? I bought a rigid heddle loom and I'd love to find a website for inspiration/patterns/etc. Thanks for any/all suggestions/help!

Also Merry Christmas! (or Happy Holidays for those who don't partake of Christmas!)

Ravelry is for weavers too, at least yarn weaving and loom knitting. If you're using one of those big room filling ones (I dunno what heddle means) I'm not sure though

edit: here are some useful tags for woven patterns:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/search#view=thumbs&sort=completed&tag-list=handwoven

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/search#sort=completed&tag-list=loom&view=thumbs

And there seems to be a handweaving.net

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 25, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, if you have a little rigid heddle loom, Ravelry is the place for that too. I don't think the pattern search is set up for weaving, but do search for groups (based on the loom you have or little looms in general) -- they have tons of resources. I have a little Cricket myself, and I'm a total beginner, but there seems to be a lot on there.

e: Who got knitting stuff for Christmas? I got a thing of Eucalan, and enough Cascade Eco for the hemlock ring blanket I'll finally try. And Wollmeise :shlick: but that's from me to me

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 25, 2013

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Happy Christmas/Holidays. I hope everyone got some gorgeous yarn. I'm going to use the cash cash money money I got from my grandmother to buy a few skeins from knit picks and then start my 2014 holiday knitting immediately. Seriously, if I don't start now I'll end up with one half of a scarf ready for next year.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Anne Whateley posted:

e: Who got knitting stuff for Christmas? I got a thing of Eucalan, and enough Cascade Eco for the hemlock ring blanket I'll finally try. And Wollmeise :shlick: but that's from me to me

I'm apparently getting a gift cert to my local yarn store.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm getting a set of of hiya hiya sharps interchangeables in the small sizes late :3:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I hit a few of the yarn shops of Vancouver and got two skeins of Hand Maiden Mini Maiden in Smoke, Hand Maiden Casbah in Twilight, Joma Glam Panda in Deliciously Shady, Spin Cycle roving in Shades of Earth, and two 3 oz balls of Great Adironback Mulberry Silk roving in Silver Fox. It is all delicious and beautiful.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I got two skeins of madelinetosh Pashmina, a skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk, and HH large metal interchangeables! Yay! I love silk.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

I'm getting a set of of hiya hiya sharps interchangeables in the small sizes late :3:

Once you have had a chance to use these, can you do a write up /review of them. I love my hiyahiya dpns and was considering getting a set of their circulars as a backup to my Chiao Goo circs.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Also, I got some addition turbo circulars (fixed, not interchangeables) for making blankets, throws, etc.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

fuzzy_logic posted:

Ravelry is for weavers too, at least yarn weaving and loom knitting. If you're using one of those big room filling ones (I dunno what heddle means) I'm not sure though

edit: here are some useful tags for woven patterns:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/search#view=thumbs&sort=completed&tag-list=handwoven

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/search#sort=completed&tag-list=loom&view=thumbs

And there seems to be a handweaving.net

Thank you for the links, I didn't realize that Ravelry had weaving stuffs! I'll poke around a bit more- didn't think to look in the groups or even the forums- will do!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I didn't really get anything knitting related this year, except my friend bought me a brooklyn tween pattern I've been wanting - Oshima. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/oshima

And I still have a gift card to a yarn store that my dad got me for my birthday (which is in MARCH, early march at that) so I'll probably use that to get the yarn for the sweater.

Does anyone have knitting related new year's resolutions or goals? I learned two new techniques this year, double knitting and intarsia. Next year I want to do entrelac for the first time, and also make a sweater with a steek in it. Never done either of those.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Everyone's new yarn sounds yummy. I gave away some of my knitting projects (nothing fancy just a couple hats and fingerless mitts) to family this holiday and I think I might get started I my knitting for them for next year. I finally got brave and stepped up from basic color change stripes to fair isle (why the hell was I so afraid of that?) and I might try my hand at some double knitting for next year.

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

wodan22 posted:

Once you have had a chance to use these, can you do a write up /review of them. I love my hiyahiya dpns and was considering getting a set of their circulars as a backup to my Chiao Goo circs.

Sure! It's going to be a bit, but I'm pretty much immediately going to use them for a shawl that's getting way too big.