Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

iostream.h posted:

And here, the most important page:

Ok this is a lot of poo poo so i'll just translate this last page. The image before it, with a ton of years, is actually mad useful - it's convertor, for Imperial Calendar dates and Gregorian ones (only the years are different - for example, 1912 is year 2 of the Taisho(Great Truth) era).

The last page, going left to right (boxes seperated by |)

quote:

This is the page for your personal information.
Please place the information in its proper/organized place.

Name | Birthdate (Year Month Day) | Blood Type
Address

Telephone Number | Email Address #1
Fax Number | Email Address #2
[illegible, i think "identification"] Number | Email Address #3

Workplace/Commuter Student Nametag
Workplace/Commuter Student Address

Workplace/Commuter Student Telephone | Workplace/Commuter Student Fax number

Emergency Contact | Relationship
Family Doctor | Contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tulip posted:

Ok this is a lot of poo poo so i'll just translate this last page. The image before it, with a ton of years, is actually mad useful - it's convertor, for Imperial Calendar dates and Gregorian ones (only the years are different - for example, 1912 is year 2 of the Taisho(Great Truth) era).

The last page, going left to right (boxes seperated by |)
You are AWESOME and I love you!
May I have your Paypal address or your Amazon wish list?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The one you missed is 携帯 - mobile number.

That's a lot to translate but I'm amused by this one:

It's basically teaching you a dance step.

1) Stand with your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart.
2) Put about 70% of your weight on your right foot.
3) Raise your left heel so that only the toes are in contact with the floor.
4) Lower your waist and bend your knees a little.
5) Hold your left arm straight out and your right arm perpendicular to it.
6) Twist your upper body to the right (while trying to keep your waist straight)
7) Balancing on your right foot and being aware of your body's core, turn centrifugally while making as if to move forward.
8) Strike your favourite pose at the end of your turn!

You can try this:
- When you're alone in the lobby, waiting for the elevator
- When you want to express your happiness at some delicious goddamn food

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Ah, you guys beat me to the punch!

The second 2 pages with the chart/table and all the letters and numbers is a list of International Codes for calling various foreign countries when dialing from Japan.

The 2 pages with all the fish is a recommended list of different Aquariums to visit during the different seasons.

The next 4 pages (starting with the pictures of the bird and the frog) is an explanation of the 24 ancient Chinese seasonal divides.

the next chart is conversion chart for units of measure; including both metric, US Standard measure (feet, etc.), and the old pre-metric Japanese units (like shaku).

The page with the picture of the different packages or envelopes lists postal service charges/postage charges.

The next page is like an emergency preparation checklist (i.e. items to prep for an emergency situation like natural disasters).
The next page is a continuation of the emergency prep stuff, focused on what to do. Ex. In case of a natural disaster, the family should meet at [place]. Also, emergency contact information, emergency phone numbers (equivalent of 911 in the US).

the next page, I think somebody already mentioned is how to calculate dates and birthdays in the Imperial Dating system (Heisei 25, as opposed to 2013).

I just did a general run down, as opposed to a line by line translation, as I am at work. However, if there are any of those that you want more detail on, just let me know.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up a Duke 209 on eBay and it's pretty cool. Has a weird style stub like nib that writes the opposite of a regular stub - thin line up and down and the wide line sideways. It came with that nib and a regular nib which is super bold -- thing writes like a sharpie on paper with similar bleed through and feathering using my De Atramentis. I use Johann Sebastian Bach for my day to day work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The "sideways" italic is called an Arabic Italic or Hebrew Italic, because they're designed for those alphabets which traditionally have a narrow vertical and wide horizontal stroke.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Noodler's Blue Ghost is the most fun ink ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TWSBI Vac 700 in Amber. :swoon:

e: \/ Oh dear, I'm sorry about that. I got a little too excited.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 20, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That's a really large pen. What's the capacity, a litre?

(Resize your image)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

That's a really large pen. What's the capacity, a litre?

(Resize your image)

2.1 mL

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My Hero 9315 arrived yesterday. After a little adjustment(like opening the tines so it actually writes) it has turned in to a really nice pen. It writes a little smoother than my Safari and almost on par with my Metro, though it's still baby-bottomed. I compared the nib to some other units I have laying around and it looks suspiciously like I can swap an old Sheaffer Craftsman nib into it.

It's about the same size as a metro, though a little heavier due to its solid, all metal construction.

Oh, it also looks really cool:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone else using a Pilot Parallel with 6mm wide nib for a highligther? I don't but that's the plan. I would if possible move the nib to some other pen as the standard body is quite ugly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone else using a Pilot Parallel with 6mm wide nib for a highligther? I don't but that's the plan. I would if possible move the nib to some other pen as the standard body is quite ugly.

I was planning on doing this, but I ended up getting one of those really wide italic Goulet nibs and I'm going to try it with some flourescent ink in my Konrad. If I need a dedicated highlighter more often (or if the Konrad-as-highlighter doesn't work out as well in reality as it does in my head) I'll probably pick up a Parallel. The 6mm seemed really wide though, when I was looking at them previously I probably would have picked one of the smaller ones.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 20, 2013

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lord Girlyman posted:

My Hero 9315 arrived yesterday. After a little adjustment(like opening the tines so it actually writes) it has turned in to a really nice pen. It writes a little smoother than my Safari and almost on par with my Metro, though it's still baby-bottomed. I compared the nib to some other units I have laying around and it looks suspiciously like I can swap an old Sheaffer Craftsman nib into it.

It's about the same size as a metro, though a little heavier due to its solid, all metal construction.

Oh, it also looks really cool:

I like the Montblanc 146 'inspired' nib in it :iamafag:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You should see the Parker "inspired" clip. It's like a frankencopy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Girlyman posted:

You should see the Parker "inspired" clip. It's like a frankencopy.

Presumably there are still tons of parts from previous copies lying around so you just design a barrel and cap to put them on or something.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Looks like a knockoff of one of the IM Premium designs.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

blowfish posted:

Presumably there are still tons of parts from previous copies lying around so you just design a barrel and cap to put them on or something.

From what I've heard, one of (I think it might have been Hero) or more of the Chinese manufacturers actually bought old Parker tools and stamping dies, so their Parker "inspired" stuff is literally the same clip as an actual Parker.

I find it funny that even with original quality resources they still can't produce a pen that's worth what you pay for them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Vitamins posted:

From what I've heard, one of (I think it might have been Hero) or more of the Chinese manufacturers actually bought old Parker tools and stamping dies, so their Parker "inspired" stuff is literally the same clip as an actual Parker.

I find it funny that even with original quality resources they still can't produce a pen that's worth what you pay for them.

That happened with the Hero 100, which for a time actually was a relabeled Parker 51. Then they started using their own tools and quality started dropping.

Might be the case with other pen models, too...

e: Parker Hero 100s are still quite nice pens, but their sections are even less durable than Montblanc resin and inky fingers from hairline cracks are common on the newer ones...

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 21, 2013

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

blowfish posted:

e: Parker Hero 100s are still quite nice pens, but their sections are even less durable than Montblanc resin and inky fingers from hairline cracks are common on the newer ones...

Don't forget the razor sharp metal ring around the top of the section which will cut you to the bone if you're not careful when unscrewing them. :v:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If anyone likes their Lamy Safari and wants a metal version, the Lamy Studio is seriously nice. Perfectly weighted with a good heft to it, uses the same nibs as the Safari, and has a different converter that's a lot better at taking up ink without air bubbles. The clip is a neat design too that gives it a nice visual distinctiveness.

I got one as a present for my girlfriend as an upgrade from her Lamy Safari and ended up getting one myself because it's such a gorgeous pen that's really practical as well.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am very slowly making my way through this thread - my dad always used a cross fountain pen that I remember from childhood and I would always love the look of how it wrote. But I found my hyperactive teenage self inadvertently shaking fountain pens too much to use them. Taking off caps with a bunch of ink leaked out, general messiness. Granted I was using his old not well kept pens that he had before settling on the cross or el cheapo pens that I forgot the name of.

Are any kinds of fountain pens resistant to shaking? I can definitely be more careful now as an adult and just a pen in one place but it would rock to replace the Dr. Grip ball point that I always have clipped to my pants pocket with a fountain pen.

Also I am going to dig up the various fountain pens floating around my house. After my dad died I grabbed as many as I could find (couldn't find the cross) and tried them but all the ink was dry so I still don't know what condition they are in or what I should do to get them up and running.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Lamy 2000 has an enclosed feed. Unless you're shaking it like a loving maniac it probably won't put ink all over the place.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Rio, unless the ink has dried years and years ago, you can likely clear it with a home made Pen Flush. It is pretty straightforward to use, and can get your pens nice and clean and ready to go again.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Lamy 2000 has an enclosed feed. Unless you're shaking it like a loving maniac it probably won't put ink all over the place.

Actually it loses ink much more easily than just about any Pelikan pen. I suspect that during shaking ink fills up the feed and when it's full, it burps out any additional ink while Pelikan pens just don't let any ink get out period.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kim jong-illin posted:

If anyone likes their Lamy Safari and wants a metal version, the Lamy Studio is seriously nice.

There's already an actual metal version of the Safari called the Al-Star :eng101:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

404notfound posted:

There's already an actual metal version of the Safari called the Al-Star :eng101:

And it breaks more easily than the plastic one :pseudo:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
So, are there any sites with a) replacement Lamy nibs (specifically calligraphy), b) daily planners (not weekly like the rhodia webnotebook), and c) decent shipping to Canada? There are a few other things I want to pick up (inks and some pens) but I figure anywhere with nibs and planners will have that as well. Right now I have a full cart on Shop Writer's Bloc, which I highly recommend in general, but it's $30 shipping to Canada. Neither Wonderpens nor Goulet have what I need :(

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

404notfound posted:

The Al-Star looks like garbage compared to the Studio.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

If anyone likes their Lamy Safari and wants a metal version, the Lamy Studio is seriously nice. Perfectly weighted with a good heft to it, uses the same nibs as the Safari, and has a different converter that's a lot better at taking up ink without air bubbles. The clip is a neat design too that gives it a nice visual distinctiveness.

I got one as a present for my girlfriend as an upgrade from her Lamy Safari and ended up getting one myself because it's such a gorgeous pen that's really practical as well.

Seconding this. Studios are great pens: nice to write with, indestructible, elegant, functional. I'll probably break down and spring for the metal TWSBI when (if) it comes out (despite the problems I've had with their plastic brethren), but the Studio will probably remain my mainstay.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Am I the only one that hates the look of the Lamy clips? Irrational as it may be, it's the main reason I haven't tried one yet.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
No I hate the clips on Lamy pens too, which is a shame as they're nice pens. Probably someone has solved this problem.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The Lamy clips are why I outright rejected the Vista/Safari when I was first getting into pens. It just looked so disgusting and off balance, but the price was right and I grew to not hate it over the year I used one.

Then the Metro came to my attention and holy hell is that thing attractive!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I did this, using Pelikan highlighter ink. Jammed it in a 78G body but its not quite a good fit, let me know if you find something else!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have some noodler's pens I was gonna try it with, but on FPN I did find this:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/230002-suggestions-for-pilot-parallel-frankepen/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I found two of my dad's old pens - after some googling I found out that one of them is a Waterman Carene. I remember trying to use this when I was younger and getting ink on my fingers, but again maybe I was just jostling it too much. I am going to try to clean it and get it running. The design is sweet but it also might make it hard to clean.

The second I have no idea, so here are a couple pictures to see if anyone has any ideas. I don't know what to order to get it running in terms of cartridges or a converter because I have no idea what kind of pen it is and the one that is in there (see photo) looks like it doesn't belong.. Sorry the photos are poo poo, it is late and I am lazy.

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
Okay so my interest is piqued, and I was looking at Pilot/Namiki pens. Now I do not have any real experience with fountain pens so I came here for help. I like I nice sturdy/heavy pen that can do fine lines, and my inquiry is which Pilot/Namiki pen do you guys would best suit me? I have a budget of about $250.00 spare cash.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus-Piss posted:

Okay so my interest is piqued, and I was looking at Pilot/Namiki pens. Now I do not have any real experience with fountain pens so I came here for help. I like I nice sturdy/heavy pen that can do fine lines, and my inquiry is which Pilot/Namiki pen do you guys would best suit me? I have a budget of about $250.00 spare cash.

Pilot Vanishing Point has a brass body and is very sturdy, but has the drawback of not having much of a ink capacity. How much writing are you planning to do?

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?

Welsper posted:

Pilot Vanishing Point has a brass body and is very sturdy, but has the drawback of not having much of a ink capacity. How much writing are you planning to do?

My job requires a lot of paperwork at the moment, healthy bit of reminder notes, then the other half is insurance paperwork. So that kind of eliminates the Vanishing point, I was looking at the Stargazer(s) and the Falcon both Metal and Resin since the capacity seems to be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I can't speak from experience but I would love to be able to afford a Namiki Falcon, esp. a customized one with extra flex added. Definitely on my "will buy at some time in my life" list.

While youtubing I also found it compared against a pencil called a Stipula model T with titanium nib, looks very classy and is in the same price range as the Falcon. Falcon looks nicer IMO though.