Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BlitzBlast posted:

I will forever stand by the Golden Sun soundtrack, even if the game was boring as hell.

Yeah, considering it was using the GBA soundchip, it was incredible. Saturos' Theme, The Elemental Stars and The Golden Sun Rises are all particularly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sakuraba is painfully dull outside of Valkyrie Profile.

Surprisingly though, he's also responsible for the music in Dark Souls, which is really good.

Huh. I had a feeling there was more than a little crossover between those two games, and not just thematically.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Surprisingly though, he's also responsible for the music in Dark Souls, which is really good.

It's mostly because Sakuraba really, really likes his music overly busy and needlessly chaotic. When every soundtrack you're doing has that style and is all synth instruments everything tends to blur together after a certain point, especially when you've been doing tracks like that for practically every game you compose for.

Turns out though, that style works loving fantastic when you use a proper orchestra for it and have it be the background to the frantic madness that a lot of the Dark Souls fights turned out to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One of the reasons I got a Gameube was to play Baten Kaitos and I loved it. Sakuraba's style is so much more diverse than Uematsu or Mitsuda and I had only heard them at this point. Well I guess I also heard Yuki Kajiura in the last Xenosaga game but still, Baten Kaitos' OST remains my favorite ever among JRPGs I've played along with Xenogears.

Between Violent Storm, Comdemnation of Darkness, Chaotic Dance and Rumbling of the Earth It's also pretty cool that, according to the reviews I've read, he does all his own synth while the guitars are done by the Guilty Gear guy.

I guess I need to try the Valkyrie Profile games though from the sound of it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 15, 2013

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So I see FF7 and 8 are on PSN now. I still have my old Playstation discs for these games, is there any reason I would want to pay for the PSN downloads instead though? (Playstation games work on PS3's right? That was the impression I had but I haven't had time to test it myself.) They didn't clean up the graphics or bugs or translation errors did they?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Epi Lepi posted:

So I see FF7 and 8 are on PSN now. I still have my old Playstation discs for these games, is there any reason I would want to pay for the PSN downloads instead though? (Playstation games work on PS3's right? That was the impression I had but I haven't had time to test it myself.) They didn't clean up the graphics or bugs or translation errors did they?

Yeah, Playstation games should work on PS3. I don't think the PSN versions are upgraded in any way- they're mostly there for people who don't already have the games or want to play them on the Vita, I think.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

You can play the PS1 discs on the PS3, there's nothing different about the PSN downloads.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I liked the Star Ocean 2 soundtrack...

That was a good game. I'm kinda sad they never made any other titles in the series, but at least it went out on a good note.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I liked the Star Ocean 2 soundtrack...

That was a good game. I'm kinda sad they never made any other titles in the series, but at least it went out on a good note.

I thought there was Star Ocean III: Til the End of Time for the PS2 and one for the PS3 that came out a couple years back, am I crazy?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I thought there was Star Ocean III: Til the End of Time for the PS2 and one for the PS3 that came out a couple years back, am I crazy?

:thejoke:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tempo 119 posted:

You can play the PS1 discs on the PS3, there's nothing different about the PSN downloads.

The primary difference would be you could download and play either on your PSP at work. :radcat:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, considering it was using the GBA soundchip, it was incredible. Saturos' Theme, The Elemental Stars and The Golden Sun Rises are all particularly good.

Venus Lighthouse is pretty much my favorite final dungeon theme.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, Playstation games should work on PS3. I don't think the PSN versions are upgraded in any way- they're mostly there for people who don't already have the games or want to play them on the Vita, I think.

Tempo 119 posted:

Word, thanks guys.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thinking about FFXHD and I just realized thee is one thing I want them to change.

That ten second zoom on your characters when they are Berserked during the Spectral Keeper fight in the Zanarkand Cloister of Trials.

Screw Yunalesca, that guy was the hardest boss for me on my last playthrough. I had no armor or items I could use to make Berserk Ward or whatever and it was just so goddam long to beat him because every second one of my characters would be Berserked and then the camera slooooooooooooooowly zooms in on them.

I realize they wanted a nice fancy looking battle, and the glyph elevator worked in that regard, but otherwise I loathe that fight so much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Thinking about FFXHD and I just realized thee is one thing I want them to change.

That ten second zoom on your characters when they are Berserked during the Spectral Keeper fight in the Zanarkand Cloister of Trials.

Screw Yunalesca, that guy was the hardest boss for me on my last playthrough. I had no armor or items I could use to make Berserk Ward or whatever and it was just so goddam long to beat him because every second one of my characters would be Berserked and then the camera slooooooooooooooowly zooms in on them.

I realize they wanted a nice fancy looking battle, and the glyph elevator worked in that regard, but otherwise I loathe that fight so much.

That fight is extra awful because its basically random how hard it will be based on who he berserks and what tiles he makes explode. If you get unlucky there's not a whole lot you can do or you're constantly just moving people to safe spots and waiting around to get back into a safe attack pattern and if you're lucky he berserks Auron and never does anything but the basic attack and you drop him in about 3 turns.

Yunalesca at least has an interesting gimmick and design where you at least feel like you're doing something on turns where you aren't being offensive and she can be 100% invalidated with relative ease. I like to make Auron the Yunalesca Killer because it just feels right.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have been out of the loop and I am about a month behind in this thread. Has there been any new information or somewhat likely rumors that have emerged about FF XV that I might of missed?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I have been out of the loop and I am about a month behind in this thread. Has there been any new information or somewhat likely rumors that have emerged about FF XV that I might of missed?

Not a sausage. All they're released are more trailers for Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy X|X-2, including the information that on the Vita they won't be sold separately, and to get round the cartridge size limitation you'll get a free download for X-2.

There hasn't been any new information on XV since E3, although they tried to pretend they had a new trailer for TGS by mixing the two they showed at E3 and adding a few seconds of previously cut footage.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Xavier434 posted:

They'll probably relase more info once the remakes are out. I mean, what else are they going to talk about? They literally have no other games in the making, and I'm not counting those made by Eidos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Krad posted:

They'll probably relase more info once the remakes are out. I mean, what else are they going to talk about? They literally have no other games in the making, and I'm not counting those made by Eidos.

Nah, they're also making Bravely Defaulting Fairy Flies 2: Fly Harder. Maybe some cheap Dragon Warrior spinoff. Is that Theatrhythm sequel already out? Point is I'm confident they'll be able to put off releasing any new information for at least another 8 months.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, they're also making Bravely Defaulting Fairy Flies 2: Fly Harder. Maybe some cheap Dragon Warrior spinoff. Is that Theatrhythm sequel already out? Point is I'm confident they'll be able to put off releasing any new information for at least another 8 months.

Expect something vague at E3 or Tokyo Game Show whichever comes first and then a string of tweets about how the game has gotten retooled to be more like The Book of Mormon.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Final Fantasy VIII is on sale on Steam today, as kind of a hidden part of the Final Fantasy VII deal. Anyone have experience with the Steam version? I'm particularly interested in the fan patch that is supposed to replace the MIDI soundtrack with the original (or apparently, if you prefer, some Dissidia versions of the OST). I saw a few high-res character packs as well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It works, that's about all I can say. Nothing exceptional about it really. Haven't played the ps version in a looong while, but it seems pretty much entirely unchanged. I haven't gotten into modding it at all though. One annoying thing is you can't keybind your dpad like it is in the ps version, which I always liked much more for FF menus. You have to use the analog sticks. If I had a ps3, I think I'd get that version instead, just for the dpad.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ethanol posted:

It works, that's about all I can say. Nothing exceptional about it really. Haven't played the ps version in a looong while, but it seems pretty much entirely unchanged. I haven't gotten into modding it at all though. One annoying thing is you can't keybind your dpad like it is in the ps version, which I always liked much more for FF menus. You have to use the analog sticks. If I had a ps3, I think I'd get that version instead, just for the dpad.

That is actually a dealbreaker for me. I was mulling over the "Add to cart" button until I read that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dross posted:

That is actually a dealbreaker for me. I was mulling over the "Add to cart" button until I read that.

This is why everyone should own a Logitech gamepad, they allow you to switch the inputs of the d-pad and stick between each other. <it has saved me lots ad lots of annoyance.

You could also just play with the keyboard.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ethanol posted:

Haven't played the ps version in a looong while, but it seems pretty much entirely unchanged.

It's just the original PC port, so the differences with the PS1 version are the same as there. There's not that many, but the two biggest ones are you can use Tool-RF to make Dark Matter at any level (PS1 requires Siren to be level 100) and Omega Weapon's level scales to match your average like everything else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

It's just the original PC port, so the differences with the PS1 version are the same as there. There's not that many, but the two biggest ones are you can use Tool-RF to make Dark Matter at any level (PS1 requires Siren to be level 100) and Omega Weapon's level scales to match your average like everything else.
How boring, he only has 100k HP at level one and Zell can do that in like ten seconds.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is on sale on Steam today, as kind of a hidden part of the Final Fantasy VII deal. Anyone have experience with the Steam version? I'm particularly interested in the fan patch that is supposed to replace the MIDI soundtrack with the original (or apparently, if you prefer, some Dissidia versions of the OST). I saw a few high-res character packs as well.

Just beat FFVIII on Steam last night. The latest version of Roses and Wine allows you mod in the original PSX music or a bunch of other options. That was the only straight "bad" part about the version until then, horrible MIDI songs. (Which are now replaced by the better PSX MIDI songs!)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Catching up on the thread.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fantastic. My 2014 LP Year is set then between that and the Xenosaga Trilogy.

Is TDI doing Xenosaga or are you referring to Zutaten's LP?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Skurvy Kip is doing a run.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Barudak posted:

Not a spoiler; FF7 has the most daring narrative construction in video games and would give most books a run for their money.

This is an actual opinion in a thread where people share their opinions about what constitutes good writing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

That FF7 NES rom is pretty drat impressive for what it is.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sarkozymandias posted:

This is an actual opinion in a thread where people share their opinions about what constitutes good writing.

Depending on what books you're reading that could seem entirely reasonable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

swamp waste posted:

Depending on what books you're reading that could seem entirely reasonable.

"Most daring narrative construction" is the kind of statement that requires a lot of explanation from the person saying it, because he could mean a bunch of different things, but I would say there are Square-Enix games with more daring narratives without touching the "most books" part

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
A lot of nerds consume nothing but genre fiction in whatever media, so yeah if you're only reading comics playing video games and reading licensed Star Wars novels I could see why you could think Final Fantasy 7 is the pinnacle of storytelling.

But, the thing is, it's really bad, and made worse by an awful localization.

I bought FF7 and FF8 on Steam but I really can't stand to play them. They're just not as fun to me as any of the SNES Final Fantasies despite being equally as shallow gameplay-wise. I don't know if it's the lovely 3D or convoluted stories but the series really stops being fun after a certain point.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That was said in the context of characters being able to lie to you (or each other / themselves) in the context of providing lore and backstory, which actually is pretty unique for a fantasy RPG. But I mean these games' stories are burdened by their demands on themselves to create a whole vacuum-sealed world that at once shuts out the complexity and subjectivity of meaning you get real life and then tries to approximate it through overexplained hyperdrama so the whole thing is kind of weird and bad.

11th-hour twists in this series have included "the evil wizard was being controlled by a different unseen evil wizard" and "the space gods were doing the opposite of what they appeared to be doing due to this previously unexplained logistical concern of space-god-dom." So it's entirely reasonable to wonder who fuckin cares, but then the answer is, You, apparently, unless you found some instrinsic meaning in fitting the round pegs in the round holes for 30 hours!! The art direction is really nice sometimes

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Do you guys seriously think FF7 doesn't hold up to classics such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Moby Dick? :shepface:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

1st AD posted:

A lot of nerds consume nothing but genre fiction in whatever media, so yeah if you're only reading comics playing video games and reading licensed Star Wars novels I could see why you could think Final Fantasy 7 is the pinnacle of storytelling.

But, the thing is, it's really bad, and made worse by an awful localization.

I bought FF7 and FF8 on Steam but I really can't stand to play them. They're just not as fun to me as any of the SNES Final Fantasies despite being equally as shallow gameplay-wise. I don't know if it's the lovely 3D or convoluted stories but the series really stops being fun after a certain point.

You're right, It's a terrible story. Jesus, it's nowhere near as interesting or well written as Milton's "Paradise Lost" or Rabelais's "Gargantua and Pantagruel". Jesus Square Enix are you even loving trying?

(:ssh: No one ever when they say "[Insert Movie or Video Game Story] is actually pretty good" is talking about it in comparision to anything but video games/genre fictions/movies since most movies and almost 100% of video games are genre fiction. Please post better :ssh:)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Game stories need to be told differently than other media, and even those game developers who are comparatively good at telling stories with games are still mostly just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. FF7 will likely continue to be a model in the development of those techniques because it included a lot of mostly successful narrative constructs that can only be, but had never previously been, done in a game. It does this in addition to maintaining baseline competence (little things like "every cutscene should at minimum establish what the player should do next and why the characters intend to do that").

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're right, It's a terrible story. Jesus, it's nowhere near as interesting or well written as Milton's "Paradise Lost" or Rabelais's "Gargantua and Pantagruel". Jesus Square Enix are you even loving trying?

(:ssh: No one ever when they say "[Insert Movie or Video Game Story] is actually pretty good" is talking about it in comparision to anything but video games/genre fictions/movies since most movies and almost 100% of video games are genre fiction. Please post better :ssh:)

I mean I agree with your point that it's dumb to dogpile on somebody who says something like that and be all self-congratulatory, but I'm not sure I agree that nobody ever means Final Fantasy or Pacific Rim or whatever isn't incredible relative to everything rather than just entertainment media. The dude is absolutely right that some non-trivial percentage of gamers have weird cultural blinders to anything that doesn't have wizards or space marines in it. I haven't poked my head into The Book Barn in years, but half the time when I did so in the past like 75% of all threads were about nerdy men's genre fiction and unlike Games there's a lot of other poo poo out there in the world of lit.

FF7 actually does have a pretty good "story" for a game thanks to those narrative tricks and some pretty compelling universal themes (if you think of the environmentalist stuff as allegorical rather than seeing it as a game about conservation), but the script, both in terms of the dialogue and how some of the events are staged, is really bad. It's not up at the highest level of game writing, but it's definitely among the better Final Fantasy games (along with 6, 9, and 10) when it comes to the non-mechanical side of game direction.

EDIT: And another thing I'll grant you is that it's always kinda funny to see someone harp about the self-evident terribleness of something like FF7 and then prove through their own posts that they actually didn't understand really simple high school reading level things in the game

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Eh, gamers seem to have a sort of self-loathing outlook on the medium, where it is a given that games are toys and cannot ever come close to "real" mediums of expression like books or films. Creative storytelling conceits and characters that have human flaws and don't fit into comfortable archetypes in something like FF7 are written off as unintended flukes because the game is full of ugly cartoonish characters and clunky dialogue. And there's no doubt that games are a more complicated medium to "do right" than books or films. But I think the "game stories lol" outlook is going to have to start changing eventually, as game developers both get more comfortable with the whole "interactive story" aspect of games, as well as having more powerful technology capable of rendering nuanced characters that can express meaning and emotion through body language and facial expression. We're already getting to the point where game characters are providing more powerful performances than you see in a lot of films, with games like The Last of Us.