Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Tato posted:

Do you think Dolph Ziggler will be in a better, worse (is this even possible?), or the same position come this time next year? Is there any hope of him turning it around or getting back in their good graces? Even if he was in their good graces, is his current character one that can work at a main event level?

Ziggler barely has a character these days, and that's not a bad thing. He's really just "cocky guy who thinks he is the best", so yeah I think that can work at a main event level.

Heck, for a time Dolph was getting over and was on his way to being a main event guy on Sheamus' level, at least. The gimmick isn't a problem, getting buried is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dey Yah posted:

So in WWE cage matches now you can win with a pinfall, submission, or by escaping the cage. I remember the stipulation used to only be escaping the cage. When did this change happen, and was it just an accommodation for one wrestler or one spot or what?

Probably around 2000-2001, actually. I don't know why they made the change, but that's been pretty much the standard for cage match rules everywhere but WWE since forever.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
In home video releases of Royal Rumble 1999, Road Dogg, Boss Man, Jeff Jarrett and a few other wrestlers and Jim Cornette offer brief comments on the forthcoming PPV at the start of the tape.

Why Corny? What was his on-screen role in late 1998/early 1999?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

In home video releases of Royal Rumble 1999, Road Dogg, Boss Man, Jeff Jarrett and a few other wrestlers and Jim Cornette offer brief comments on the forthcoming PPV at the start of the tape.

Why Corny? What was his on-screen role in late 1998/early 1999?

I'm pretty sure Cornette was an on and off color commentator at that point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cornette has always been a pretty off color commentator.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

There was also some good matches and television

There have been plenty of good full episodes and a ton of moments, but my brain just immediately goes to those two. Says more about me than WWE.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

No but having a program centered around him and suddenly having him taken out and feuding with Duck Dynasty with no payoff is.

Because the Wyatt Family are total jobbers like 3MB and not at all being pushed toward upper midcard feuds. No, clearly the company isn't high on them at all.

Bryan and Punk are being used to elevate others to their own level, not as a demotion or burial for Bryan and Punk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perigryn posted:

Worse. No taxi company in the area wants to go there and it's too far to walk. And Bryan can't get a signal to have a mechanic bring his Prius to drive home.

He was picked up by a truck driver who happened to have a WCW cameraman in the cab with him, we just didn't see it because the live feed back to WCW now doesn't lead anywhere.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

Because the Wyatt Family are total jobbers like 3MB and not at all being pushed toward upper midcard feuds. No, clearly the company isn't high on them at all.

Bryan and Punk are being used to elevate others to their own level, not as a demotion or burial for Bryan and Punk.

Elevate others? Like... enhancement talent?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

He was picked up by a truck driver who happened to have a WCW cameraman in the cab with him, we just didn't see it because the live feed back to WCW now doesn't lead anywhere.

I'd like to think the feed leads to an old style crt tv in Eric Bischoffs garage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Please, upper midcard guys and main eventers are used to elevate people all the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Like giving them a rub. I know it's not happened for a long time, but using main eventers to get new guys over is a proven method.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Never said Bryan ain't in a good spot, but don't pretend he's at the same place he was during the three months of The Daniel Bryan Show, and a lot wasn't swept away to put him where he is.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Please, upper midcard guys and main eventers are used to elevate people all the time.

Source?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mick Foley did it for HHH, Orton TRIED to do it for Kofi, HHH did it for Batista. Just a few examples.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mick Foley did it for HHH, Orton TRIED to do it for Kofi, HHH did it for Batista. Just a few examples.

That's all the modern examples. I mean you seriously had to bring up Kofi's aborted push to try and pretend that that's what they do regularly.

"You don't makes stars by having new guys beat old guys" - HHH.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mick Foley is the most apt example, regarding Daniel Bryan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Punk is elevating the Shield? The same Shield that debuted in an angle against John Cena, have looked strong against the Undertaker, and have consistently had main event matches (good ones too) against main eventers? What is Punk doing for them exactly?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Punk is elevating the Shield? The same Shield that debuted in an angle against John Cena, have looked strong against the Undertaker, and have consistently had main event matches (good ones too) against main eventers? What is Punk doing for them exactly?

by breaking them up so that Roman Reigns can be the next top guy

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
Can we stop turning every single thread into the argument about how much WWE hates/adores Daniel Bryan and how to define burying in his case tia

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

Can we stop turning every single thread into the argument about how much WWE hates/adores Daniel Bryan and how to define burying in his case tia

Yeah I am a giant DB fan and it's gotten old and boring.

I have a random, stupid question-- what does PSP think of Santino? I think he's a gifted physical comedian, and he's the only guy on the roster my wife wants to have sex with.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

he's the only guy on the roster my wife wants to have sex with.

?

your wife has no taste.

Also Santino can be funny sometimes, but the material they give him is usually very bad.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 21, 2013

Demon Hunter
Jul 18, 2005

I Before E posted:

?

your wife has no taste.

Not who you would sleep with. He's asking for an opinion on Santino.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Demon Hunter posted:

Not who you would sleep with. He's asking for an opinion on Santino.

Santina?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I like how Roman Reigns chose Snowy Mountain for the backdrop of his yearbook photo.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Ziggler barely has a character these days, and that's not a bad thing. He's really just "cocky guy who thinks he is the best", so yeah I think that can work at a main event level.

Heck, for a time Dolph was getting over and was on his way to being a main event guy on Sheamus' level, at least. The gimmick isn't a problem, getting buried is.

when recently talking about research he was doing for the year in review issue of the Observer, Meltzer even said that the shows Ziggler headlined against Cena did pretty good business, so the idea that he can't headline is ridiculous and his burial is even moreso. I really hate seeing such a talented guy get completely wasted.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

I never noticed that weird scare on Reigns before.

I also never noticed Del Rio's horrible cat paw print tattoo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

?

your wife has no taste.

One day when you find Dusty's face in Cody's face you will also no longer desire to have sex with him.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I have a random, stupid question-- what does PSP think of Santino? I think he's a gifted physical comedian, and he's the only guy on the roster my wife wants to have sex with.

Are you actually Santino? Cuz if so I got some bad news wrt your wife :twisted:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

I Before E posted:

your wife has no taste.

That seems redundant.

I Before E posted:

Also Santino can be funny sometimes, but the material they give him is usually very bad.

Yeah I would agree with that, but I think he's a good performer and has great comedic timing. I wish the comedy acts were off in their own separate federation that was just about being silly and having fun (hey kids insert your own Chikara joke here).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

One day when you find Dusty's face in Cody's face you will also no longer desire to have sex with him.
I found Dusty's face in his pecs.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

I Before E posted:

?

your wife has no taste.

I read somewhere that Santino actually does very well with the ladies, including Divas, in real life.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

I Before E posted:

?
your wife has no taste.

Way to forget Justin Gabriel, just like the WWE has.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

Where did I say anything about The Shield in my post? I was specifically talking about The Wyatt Family, who were feuding with The Beard & The Best tag team a month ago. I know ADHD is a wrestling fan requirement, but it was the last feud Punk was in before the TLC build.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The fat guys stuff in the picture thread made me wonder, who are some agile fat guys?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suben posted:

The fat guys stuff in the picture thread made me wonder, who are some agile fat guys?

Jerry Blackwell, Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow are a good place to start, and there is of course Takeshi Morishima these days.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Bam Bam during his best run was pretty drat agile.

E; beaten.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Suben posted:

American Balloon immediately comes to mind. I think there were these two huge fat guys, the Headhunters? Who were supposed to be pretty flippy? But either way I saw one match with them and, uh, was not impressed. To say the least.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Suben posted:

Kevin Steen and Willie Mack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I honestly can't believe I blanked on Steen, Bam Bam, and the like. :doh:

Basically WWE needs a someone with Fat Guy Agility.