Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Totally gonna use this with the rocket launcher now! Is there a secondary or melee weapon that you can kill yourself with so I can complete this build?

The new Stug is the first secondary with suicide capability. Melee weapons in general are their own brand of suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the trick to getting inventory slots? I'm building my third warframe and just realized I only have two slots available :( I'm also running low on weapon slots as well.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

seiferguy posted:

What's the trick to getting inventory slots? I'm building my third warframe and just realized I only have two slots available :( I'm also running low on weapon slots as well.

You buy slots with Platinum. Go to Arsenal -> Inventory then hit R2 on the tab you want to expand.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 20, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, the list in the original post could probably be updated to put slots in a tier above "good" for spending platinum on. Orokin Catalysts/Reactors, Forma, and Sentinels may be rare enough to get that spending platinum on them isn't a bad idea, but slots cannot be gotten in any other way.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll actually be spending money on this game. Thank goodness there's a slight platinum sale going on now.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, the list in the original post could probably be updated to put slots in a tier above "good" for spending platinum on. Orokin Catalysts/Reactors, Forma, and Sentinels may be rare enough to get that spending platinum on them isn't a bad idea, but slots cannot be gotten in any other way.

You can get them from weapon event rewards, but those arent very common.

Doc Finn
Mar 25, 2009
My friend and I (not in goonclan) are about to run Cicero with lapises. Anyone want to join in the other two slots? I don't exactly trust pubbies, so I figured I'd offer here.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

asterioth posted:

You can get them from weapon event rewards, but those arent very common.

You mostly don't "get" those anyway since you want to keep the unique weapon it came with because you can't buy them again.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Denzine posted:

Ember trip report.

Overall, Ember has been nerfed. Do not bother with this frame.
God drat it DE.

Denzine posted:

we need a :de: smiley.
An Ember in the diorama pose from the Vor Assassination mission.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll actually be spending money on this game. Thank goodness there's a slight platinum sale going on now.

If you are on PC i would wait for 50% off drop from logging in. For waepons, its a decent idea to just sell old weapons that you wont use again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

seiferguy posted:

:siren: DO NOT BUY PLATINUM FROM THE WARFRAME SITE RIGHT NOW

Steam is having a 50% off sale on platinum, Amazon is having a 66% sale (though someone has said it is a code so no trading it, but if you're using it to buy slots/potatoes/forma it doesn't matter.) The only reason to buy from the Warframe store is if you are buying Prime Access for the unique gear, but that's more platinum than you really need unless you want to get a big jumpstart and pick up a few cheap frames or some skins/scarves/etc.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 20, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It really shows just how bad they are basic UI design that they didn't call the antitoxins "Antitoxin: Colour". That way they'd be sorted in the Foundry. But no we gotta go "Colour Antitoxin", so they're all over the loving place.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the Penta. It's like my ninja's the world's worst demoman. :allears:
It really needs a boost to launching distance since they only arc out about 10 feet on a level surface. It's still a fun weapon though.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Safety Factor posted:

Oh man, the Penta. It's like my ninja's the world's worst demoman. :allears:
It really needs a boost to launching distance since they only arc out about 10 feet on a level surface. It's still a fun weapon though.

If it could reach that far, it'd make the Ogris obsolete.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Fuzz posted:

Ah, I was really tempted to grab a Sentinel because building one seems inordinately annoying with all the parts/credits needed. Any suggestions on what would be the best one to grab? I'm actually really digging the whole ninja cloak Loki vibe... may not even bother with Ash if Loki stays this viable even to the later game!

I'm on PS4 and was basically in your shoes a few weeks ago. I'd recommend Carrier, as others already have, and also note that Loki seems like he'll be super viable for the foreseeable future. Mods make such a loving difference, at first I was dead or dying a lot due to Loki's low amount of health, but then I pumped up the shield and health mods and now I'm at like 315/290 I think. Also been upping my Braton's crit and fire damage (and some other damage I forget, maybe ice) and took down the Jackal basically by myself with some pubbies while I was farming Rhino part blueprints, which is probably not that impressive really, but I liked that he wasn't able to do anything but die.

The other thing I like about Loki that I found out from the wikis is that since his abilities don't really have power (they don't directly attack) you can slot him with a lot of mods that have negative affects to balance their positive ones like "Increase ability range; decrease ability power" and then not give a gently caress about the negative. Granted pretty much all of those kind of mods are far from my reach right now, but it does give me something to look forward to near the end.

Also for reference I used my initial 150 plat on an Orkin Reactor (for Loki), an Orkin Catalyst (for later, I guess Kunai?), 2 warframe slots, 4 or 8 inventory slots (I think I made it 4 per frame slot), Carrier, and...I don't remember, maybe Forma. Got a bunch more plat recently due to the sale and used it mostly on colors, thinking of maybe buying a frame with it, but I'll probably just save the rest for a rainy day.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sentinels are some of the best things to use plat on imo, saves you the resources and they come with potatoes in the sentinel and the gun.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

God drat it DE.

An Ember in the diorama pose from the Vor Assassination mission.

Ember isn't as bad as he makes it out to be, the new version of WoF has pillars of flame that will shoot up and they can hit more than one thing at a time.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:siren: Orokin Catalyst Alert (PC) :siren:

Grineer Mobile defense on Solium, Eris.
1h 45m left as of this post.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
World on Fire is currently single-target, one mob at a time, with no aoe on the fire pillars- they're purely cosmetic. The tick rate is pretty quick so if the mobs are weak enough(or you're amped enough) that they die in one tick, it can cycle targets pretty quickly. Damage falls off pretty fast though, especially now that heavies all have scalaing armor on top of their scaling HP.

World on Fire is actually where it was several months ago before Damage 2.0, which is hilarious since they seem to also be doing their best to reverse everything else about Damage 2.0 as well. Such as armor.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

asterioth posted:

Ember isn't as bad as he makes it out to be, the new version of WoF has pillars of flame that will shoot up and they can hit more than one thing at a time.
That's how it LOOKS like it should work, but do not be deceived by the new effects. WoF is one target, no AOE. It ticks fast and cycles targets fast if you're killing trash, making it look like a lot of poo poo's dying all at once, but get some harder mobs and it's very distinctly single target, no AOE. Pluto's right there, try it. The nontarget eruptions going on around you are meaningless razzle-dazzle, they do nothing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Likely a dumb question, but how do you buy plat through the steam store, since I am told its 50% off.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

That's how it LOOKS like it should work, but do not be deceived by the new effects. WoF is one target, no AOE. It ticks fast and cycles targets fast if you're killing trash, making it look like a lot of poo poo's dying all at once, but get some harder mobs and it's very distinctly single target, no AOE. Pluto's right there, try it. The nontarget eruptions going on around you are meaningless razzle-dazzle, they do nothing.

Well poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Likely a dumb question, but how do you buy plat through the steam store, since I am told its 50% off.

If you go to the steam warframe page there's a bunch of packs with stuff including platinum, and those are on sale.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Okay, holy poo poo. I was just sticking doughballs to peoples' faces when I looked at my ammo counter, tried both spam firing and charge firing, and came to a realization.

Stug uses fractional ammo.
You can spew something like a dozen or more mini doughballs for the cost of a single bullet, or you can charge up a big doughball for the cost of a single bullet.
You know how we've complained that weapons don't have individual ammo counts, and are stuck with universal rifle/sniper/shotgun/pistol ammo counts? Now consider Stug's incredibly bizarre and rear end-backwards fractional ammo on top of that.

I think DE has buried the universal ammo counts so deep in their game that they're afraid of going in to mess with it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ammo counts and drops have been so hosed in this game forever. Seeing the Penta have like 600 rounds stock before any mods was a bit alarming.

Compare to the Grakata or Soma which just farts through ammo like nobodies business. The drops should be like percentage based. You pick up 10% of your ammo max or something.

E: I think DE are trying to hide this bad Warframe from me:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Switch to infinite ammo. Seriously, now.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Male Man posted:

Switch to infinite ammo. Seriously, now.

Heavily curtail ammo. Raise melee damage heavily. Raise warframe defences.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Man, I just had the most :psyduck: pubbie teaming experience.

We were doing the orokin catalyst mobile defense alert. Two of the people start off running and I follow, leaving the last guy to pick up the thing you have to carry. They rush off ahead and make it to one of the defense nodes, except the dude puts it into the other one. No problem, I make my way over there to help him ... and the other two don't do poo poo, sitting on the first defense node.

I mean, I've had people AFK on spawn, annoying and rude but whatever. But this was just the height of laziness. After we finished the first part we headed over to the second part where they proceeded to do nothing. I think one of the guys fired off maybe one attack.

Then we rushed to extraction and one of the two AFKers died on the way there, and no one revived him. I don't even know. Why not just AFK at spawn instead of AFKing at the wrong defense node? Or not even AFKing, since one of the dudes shot like a thing or two and then just sat around anyway? Not sure why that rubbed me the wrong way, but it did.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wid posted:

If it could reach that far, it'd make the Ogris obsolete.

It already makes the Ogris almost completely obsolete. It doesn't have the raw damage, but the lack of charge time means a much higher rate of fire and the ability to arc shots/detonate when you want make it infinitely more useful in pretty much every situation. You can even use it as a panic holdout weapon at point blank without automatically killing yourself by dumb-firing grenades into an enemy like a bean bag gun.

In a way, it's kind of disappointing because the Ogris is much more expensive and difficult to make.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Clocks posted:

Man, I just had the most :psyduck: pubbie teaming experience.

We were doing the orokin catalyst mobile defense alert. Two of the people start off running and I follow, leaving the last guy to pick up the thing you have to carry. They rush off ahead and make it to one of the defense nodes, except the dude puts it into the other one. No problem, I make my way over there to help him ... and the other two don't do poo poo, sitting on the first defense node.

I mean, I've had people AFK on spawn, annoying and rude but whatever. But this was just the height of laziness. After we finished the first part we headed over to the second part where they proceeded to do nothing. I think one of the guys fired off maybe one attack.

Then we rushed to extraction and one of the two AFKers died on the way there, and no one revived him. I don't even know. Why not just AFK at spawn instead of AFKing at the wrong defense node? Or not even AFKing, since one of the dudes shot like a thing or two and then just sat around anyway? Not sure why that rubbed me the wrong way, but it did.

Oh that would rub anyone the wrong way. You just had default pubby experience. Play with Goons, play with reliability.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

InfinityComplex posted:

Oh that would rub anyone the wrong way. You just had default pubby experience. Play with Goons, play with reliability.
Even if you sleepwalk into a bunch of bullets and fall off a bridge, we got your back. :v:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I played this very briefly when it was brand new, and gave up on it due to the fact that it didn't automatically match you up with people and didn't tell you partying was mandatory, so the very first missions were extremely difficult - enemies took ages to kill and hit like a truck and health/energy restores were few and far between. Anyway, I'm giving this another try and am having a lot more fun - there's just one issue. My starting warframe is the Volt, which was beyond terrible back when I played it before - with energy being so rare, being able to damage (not even kill) a single enemy with a lightning bolt for 1/4th of my energy did not appeal much. Should I shell out 75 plat for an Excalibur, or should I just stick with the Volt? The lightning blast doesn't seem quite as bad as it used to, at least - it seems to kill enemies most of the time and bounces to nearby enemies, but I don't know if it's any good in the longer term.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

So I played this very briefly when it was brand new, and gave up on it due to the fact that it didn't automatically match you up with people and didn't tell you partying was mandatory, so the very first missions were extremely difficult - enemies took ages to kill and hit like a truck and health/energy restores were few and far between. Anyway, I'm giving this another try and am having a lot more fun - there's just one issue. My starting warframe is the Volt, which was beyond terrible back when I played it before - with energy being so rare, being able to damage (not even kill) a single enemy with a lightning bolt for 1/4th of my energy did not appeal much. Should I shell out 75 plat for an Excalibur, or should I just stick with the Volt? The lightning blast doesn't seem quite as bad as it used to, at least - it seems to kill enemies most of the time and bounces to nearby enemies, but I don't know if it's any good in the longer term.

Volt is really good now, but if you really want to get a new frame without farming the blueprints, you can do a lot worse with your plat than spend 75 on the excalibur (comes with slot and potato, and excalibur is farmed on one of the outer planets and so would take a while to get).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wolpertinger posted:

Excalibur isn't really a top tier frame, though Slash Dash is still an excellent power. However, with the changes to boss drops you can farm up a frame pretty easily. Volt has gotten a pretty good deal out of the Damage 2.0 changes, since electricity now bounces to stuff. Volt should remain pretty good against Corpus for a while, though it will fall off eventually at higher levels.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Isn't Volt kind of hard to get now?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

About 80% of the time, a warframe's ultimate power is the one you want to use the most and their first power is just wasting energy that could be used to fuel said warframe's ultimate power.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Sleepy Owl posted:

Isn't Volt kind of hard to get now?

A bit. He's now just a drop from survivals that last 20+ minutes.

Cowcaster posted:

About 80% of the time, a warframe's ultimate power is the one you want to use the most and their first power is just wasting energy that could be used to fuel said warframe's ultimate power.

Yeah, pretty much. They seem to be gunning for the DotA model of four abilties that do various things, but they kinda missed the point. First off, the abilities aren't balanced very well and usually don't have much benefit for use (hello Super Jump), but they also fail to take into consideration things like ranged vs. melee, support vs. damage vs. carry. Warframes are increasingly samey because there's so little to define them aside from 1-2 really good powers.

Except Rhino who is a god king. Come on, DE, stop loving around and give us Rhino Prime. :unsmigghh:

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I miss the old Ember, an untouchable queen of fire. Overheat + World on Fire, laugh all the way to extraction.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Ammo counts and drops have been so hosed in this game forever. Seeing the Penta have like 600 rounds stock before any mods was a bit alarming.

Compare to the Grakata or Soma which just farts through ammo like nobodies business. The drops should be like percentage based. You pick up 10% of your ammo max or something.

There's no reason why they couldn't just add new ammo types, like "explosives" for the ogris/penta, or "energy" for the ignis/flux rifle, and give them max amounts that are balanced.

Or failing that, at least make the explosive guns use sniper ammo instead of rifle ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's no reason why they couldn't just add new ammo types, like "explosives" for the ogris/penta, or "energy" for the ignis/flux rifle, and give them max amounts that are balanced.

Or failing that, at least make the explosive guns use sniper ammo instead of rifle ammo.

They apply this unevenly. The Miter, a weapon designed to switch between rapid-firing weak normal shots and powerful single charged shots, uses the sniper ammo pool and suffers in part because of it. The Ogris and Penta, which can blow up entire rooms in just a shot or two, use the rifle ammo pool and thus are literally incapable of ever running out of ammo.

Basically, :de: