Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Went ahead and ordered it, thanks for the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What the hell do I need to tell Verizon in order to JUST have FIOS internet service?
I'm trying to help a friend of mine cut cable and go internet only but every time I've called in to their customer care line it gets crazy about the price being MORE for just internet only and then it apparently goes UP after 3 months, I'm so confused, and I'm a decently intelligent guy most of the time. :smith:

Is there a 'package' or a guide to doing this correctly? It's no poo poo, some of the most frustrating poo poo I've tried to do in a long time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/12/17/introducing-youtube-on-roku-3/

Roku finally adds an official Youtube channel.

Unfortunately it is only on the newest hardware.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

iostream.h posted:

What the hell do I need to tell Verizon in order to JUST have FIOS internet service?
I'm trying to help a friend of mine cut cable and go internet only but every time I've called in to their customer care line it gets crazy about the price being MORE for just internet only and then it apparently goes UP after 3 months, I'm so confused, and I'm a decently intelligent guy most of the time. :smith:

Is there a 'package' or a guide to doing this correctly? It's no poo poo, some of the most frustrating poo poo I've tried to do in a long time.

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago with Verizon. $80.00/mo for just internet, but it was $74.99 for 50/25 internet + TV basic. In the end, I just caved and got the internet and tv basic package. The only reason I turn on my tv anymore is to see anything on the major channels, everything else is Roku.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sometimes you might have good luck asking for the Customer Retention department, not sure how that works as a non-customer. I always play the "Hey, Comcast is offering me THIS" route on them, at least with Verizon. Same thing should work vice versa with Comcast, though.

Sucks you have to go through such extremes to just get internet access.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Anyone had any experience with this:

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/

Going to buy for future father in law as a OTA DVR and get a portable HDD for him to record onto (appears to be straightforward from reviews).

Other recommendations considered.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

iostream.h posted:

When I was doing this, I had pretty decent luck just changing my package on their website. You can lay out all the different scenarios for yourself, so you can see whether the customer service person is BSing you or not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

revengeanceful posted:

When I was doing this, I had pretty decent luck just changing my package on their website. You can lay out all the different scenarios for yourself, so you can see whether the customer service person is BSing you or not.

I still think its basically the same thing as going to Dunkin Donuts and having to pay more for the bagel and small coffee than for the #2 combo or whatever with a medium coffee. That poo poo goes up my rear end sideways.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
At least in my area, I can get 15/5 FIOS internet for $65 per month with no TV included. The cheapest package that includes TV is $70 per month (plus the cost of cable box/DVR). If you want to step up to 50/25, then I think it becomes cheaper to bundle with a low-cost TV plan, which I agree is BS.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

revengeanceful posted:

At least in my area, I can get 15/5 FIOS internet for $65 per month with no TV included. The cheapest package that includes TV is $70 per month (plus the cost of cable box/DVR). If you want to step up to 50/25, then I think it becomes cheaper to bundle with a low-cost TV plan, which I agree is BS.

The glory of monopolies. (Or duopoloies if you're lucky, I guess. One competitor doesn't seem to improve service at all, though.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

withak posted:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/12/17/introducing-youtube-on-roku-3/

Roku finally adds an official Youtube channel.

Unfortunately it is only on the newest hardware.

Its coming to older hardware next year.

Also its really well done.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

Its coming to older hardware next year.

Also its really well done.

Yeah, holy drat does it blow away other Roku channel interfaces. I wish Netflix and Plex would update their Roku apps because they look like poo poo in comparison.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teagone posted:

Yeah, holy drat does it blow away other Roku channel interfaces. I wish Netflix and Plex would update their Roku apps because they look like poo poo in comparison.

The Netflix app is the same one on other platforms now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

The Netflix app is the same one on other platforms now.

Well poo poo, you're right. I didn't even realize they updated it since I've been using my Chromecast for Netflix.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone with an Ooma got any feedback on it? My dad is thinking about getting one.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Toshimo posted:

Anyone with an Ooma got any feedback on it? My dad is thinking about getting one.

I just purchased one this October and it's been a good experience so far. The box is actually quite nice and even has soft buttons and a speaker for listening to voicemail. I heard horror stories about getting your number ported over but I had no issues. Took about 4 days total which is faster than they promised. I think the speed of the port has more to do with your current provider. Call quality is perfect and I have had no service interruptions. I was offered a year of their Premier service for a discount so I took it. The number blacklist feature is fantastic and might be worth the cost alone. Overall I'd recommend Ooma to anyone looking to save money on a landline.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!
I've been using antenna for 3 years now and only have one issue. A train goes by our house every 20 - 30 minutes and causes the picture to pixelate and go out and the audio stutters until the train passes. This always happens in the climax of every primetime show. It's worse in the winter when the trees are bare. I can't install a roof mount antenna and am using a 20 dollar non amplified rabbit ears/loop antenna on a bookshelf.

Would an amplified antenna suction cupped to the window help at all? I can't easily get higher than the train in my house. Maybe if I got a super long cable and ran it up to the second floor but that would look awful.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You could try an amplified antenna placed a little higher. I don't think an amp would help in your situation since the problem is probably reflections and/or EMI/RFI from the train. If you do wind up buying an antenna I would get it from a place that has a liberal return policy in case it doesn't work.

Is there any way to get an attic mounted antenna? If you don't need ultimate sensitivity (and it doesn't sound like you do) an attic mount is a nice simple compromise if you don't want to mess around with or can't install a roof mount.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So what's the easiest way to get UK Netflix on my Roku living in the US? I've pretty much exhausted the library on the US side of things and I see the UK Netflix Library is pretty drat good.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Photex posted:

So what's the easiest way to get UK Netflix on my Roku living in the US? I've pretty much exhausted the library on the US side of things and I see the UK Netflix Library is pretty drat good.

I don't know about other methods, so there may be cheaper alternatives, but for $5/month http://www.unblock-us.com/ is pretty painless.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Photex posted:

That might be a sign that it's time to read a book, brother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigFactory posted:

That might be a sign that it's time to read a book, brother.

Book?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the current state of affair for online movie rentals/streaming? From what I understand my choices are either Amazon or iTunes. Are movies released for online renting/streaming the same day that they're released on blurays? Do they have weird contractual bullshit like the current Netflix streaming situation where movies get pulled from the catalog?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got notified of a refund from Amazon for a streaming video rental two weeks ago because they noticed that I had poor video playback. The reason for the poor video playback (a couple of long buffering periods during the movie) was because it was streaming over my girlfriend's parents' neighbor's stolen wifi with one bar of signal, but that is still pretty cool of them.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the current state of affair for online movie rentals/streaming? From what I understand my choices are either Amazon or iTunes. Are movies released for online renting/streaming the same day that they're released on blurays? Do they have weird contractual bullshit like the current Netflix streaming situation where movies get pulled from the catalog?

There's plenty of other services, Vudu, Redbox, Xbox, Sony, CinemaNow, etc but they all have pretty similar pricing and availability, so not super useful.

I've generally not noticed any huge gaps in availability, but you're paying a premium over disc based rentals.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I have the Mohu paperthin HD antenna, and since I moved into my apartment (from a house) the reception has become terrible. I'm on the bottom floor (ground level) Can anyone give me antenna placement advice, or do I need an amplifier? Sorry if its very vague I just don't know what information you would need. :)

Thanks for any help!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Comfortador posted:

I have the Mohu paperthin HD antenna, and since I moved into my apartment (from a house) the reception has become terrible. I'm on the bottom floor (ground level) Can anyone give me antenna placement advice, or do I need an amplifier? Sorry if its very vague I just don't know what information you would need. :)

Thanks for any help!

No one really knows. Its gonna a house by house and room by room difference.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you've got it pointed (flat side exposed) to the correct direction according to antennaweb?

Outside of that, try putting it as high as you can.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Comfortador posted:

Thanks for any help!

Amplifier won't help too much if the initial signal is not strong enough. They are good for long cable runs to stop signal degradation. Check with tvfool.com to find out what channels you should get with what type of antenna. Then try to find the optimal placement. Sorry this is vague, but antenna placement is very specific to any situation. Outside and high are best, but sometimes you can get away with inside ground floor if you are in the right spot.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The only reason I have cable is for sports. ESPN 360 is hit/miss and typically I cannot watch my team when they do a loving blackout.

Would love to pay a la carte, but apparently that isn't in the cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LLJKSiLk posted:

The only reason I have cable is for sports. ESPN 360 is hit/miss and typically I cannot watch my team when they do a loving blackout.

Would love to pay a la carte, but apparently that isn't in the cards.

I use the roku ESPN app and a friends cable login. The roku espn app has all the channels live streaming.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
My wife refuses to let go of cable because she loves to channel surf and "seeing what's on." Are there any good options that would replace that? Possibly something like Pandora but for Movies / TV shows?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Killmaster posted:

My wife refuses to let go of cable because she loves to channel surf and "seeing what's on." Are there any good options that would replace that? Possibly something like Pandora but for Movies / TV shows?

you could always go with USTVNow, that's pretty much satisfied my wife when it comes to the "channel surfing"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Killmaster posted:

Channel surf with an antenna.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Killmaster posted:

PseudoTV and XBMC and a few TB of video. :)

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Brock Landers posted:

I just purchased one this October and it's been a good experience so far. The box is actually quite nice and even has soft buttons and a speaker for listening to voicemail. I heard horror stories about getting your number ported over but I had no issues. Took about 4 days total which is faster than they promised. I think the speed of the port has more to do with your current provider. Call quality is perfect and I have had no service interruptions. I was offered a year of their Premier service for a discount so I took it. The number blacklist feature is fantastic and might be worth the cost alone. Overall I'd recommend Ooma to anyone looking to save money on a landline.

Aside from the Ooma, are there any other options that people can recommend? I'm using VOIP through my local cable co. but it's starting to get kind of expensive. I'm trying to cut cable TV and phone, but I'd like to port that number out to another service. I see Google Voice is changing in May, so I'm not so sure that GV+ObiHai an option any longer. Has anyone tried services like MagicJack or any of that crap? What about other VOIP devices or services?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BigBoss posted:

Aside from the Ooma, are there any other options that people can recommend? I'm using VOIP through my local cable co. but it's starting to get kind of expensive. I'm trying to cut cable TV and phone, but I'd like to port that number out to another service. I see Google Voice is changing in May, so I'm not so sure that GV+ObiHai an option any longer. Has anyone tried services like MagicJack or any of that crap? What about other VOIP devices or services?

Do you already have an ObiHai? That can be used with a bunch of other VoIP providers.

jasawnc
Jan 24, 2005
The secret of life is as follows: 3

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you already have an ObiHai? That can be used with a bunch of other VoIP providers.

I'll second that, $40 for my Obi - paid for itself many times over. After looking at my options I can get free incoming via Call Centric and low cost outgoing ($3 to $5 a month) via localphone. Check out the slickdeals thread. Also make sure to adjust your firewall ports to the obi requirements, makes a world of difference in call quality.

edit: I'm still running my number through google voice for the features (spam filter, text, etc) and forwarding it to the call centric account. Was easy to setup on the Obi via website.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Maneki Neko posted:

No, I currently have the VOIP equipment from the cable co. and at $20+/mo I'd like to send them packing. I was just wondering if Ooma is worth the $130+$40 to port my number vs. whatever options there are out there. It looks like the taxes/fees for Ooma are $3.75 a month for me, but are the quality and ease of use that much higher than ObiHai+some other VOIP company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Is there a way to quickly change the default sound device on a PC?

I ask because my PC is hooked up to my 42" LG HDTV, which I use to watch movies/netflix off my gaming rig. I have to switch between devices in the control panel everytime.

Is there a way to automate this, or a program that allows me to quickly and easily change the default device from the TV to my PC speakers, and vice-versa?