Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lorgars done-ish for now. I might come back to him once the rest of his base is finished.

He was a very fun model to paint although I did cock it up royally within 5 minutes and it was only a determination to see if I could work with the error and fix it that made me not throw it straight into paint stripper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Any particular reason for blue on the flames (as opposed to any other color, I mean)? Otherwise, that looks legit as hell.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Any particular reason for blue on the flames (as opposed to any other color, I mean)? Otherwise, that looks legit as hell.

Orange wouldnt have contrasted enough with the base and wouldnt have shown up as well on the models brass and parchment.

It will also tie it in to my next project for another duel diorama.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think I'm coming to the slow realization I'm just not going to be good at this hobby.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's what practice is for, man. Do we need to have another page of 'first and most recent minis' to prove it?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Kaladrax's tail has four mold lines running down the entire length at 90 degree angles. I don't know that that even happens.

I'm losing the will to live

Edit:

Can someone recommend me a putty that is brittle once it has set. Like, it's strong but if I made thin sheets of it I could snap it into shards? I tried milliput black but it sets into a kindof bendy texture. It doesn't feel fully set tbh. Maybe I got a bad batch? I want to make broken flagstones with it.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 21, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So Reaper had a pretty good sale this holiday. They sent along a stocking full of free minis with my order. And 'christmas wreath' and 'ginger cookie' paint:

That's what $65 worth of Bones looks like during the Christmas sale. Includes the freebies and a free Sophie:

These are all destined for the D&D table. That should last me until Bones 2 shows up.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking to get a decent set of brushes as I've basically just been using whatever. Are there any good recommendations brand/size wise?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to get a decent set of brushes as I've basically just been using whatever. Are there any good recommendations brand/size wise?

Winsor and Newton Series 7. If you get just one, make it an 0, but you can also get an 000 if you really need a tiny one. Learn from my mistakes and don't get "off-brand" Kolinsky sable brushes unless you get a really good specific recommendation, just go with the W&N.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

w00tmonger posted:

Besides the Series 7s, I also heartily recommend Creative Mark Rhapsody kolinsky sable brushes.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Took a space wolf and a ton of green stuff and had a go at my first time at modeling myself.

Battle poo poo-zu

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

Took a space wolf and a ton of green stuff and had a go at my first time at modeling myself.

Battle poo poo-zu

As also an owner of a shih-tzu, I verify that this owns. However, you're not holding it close enough to the camera to accurately portray a shih-tzu's in-your-face-ness.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

VoodooXT posted:

Besides the Series 7s, I also heartily recommend Creative Mark Rhapsody kolinsky sable brushes.

.... of Escoda Kolinsky Tajmir brushes, which are also excellent, a bit cheaper, and have longer (relatively speaking) bristles if that's your thing

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I had to start on all those Bones somewhere. Kobolds seemed appropriate.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Throb Robinson posted:

Battle poo poo-zu

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Throb Robinson posted:

Battle poo poo-zu

Is that seriously your first time sculpting? That's amazingly good.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Lethemonster posted:

Can someone recommend me a putty that is brittle once it has set. Like, it's strong but if I made thin sheets of it I could snap it into shards? I tried milliput black but it sets into a kindof bendy texture. It doesn't feel fully set tbh. Maybe I got a bad batch? I want to make broken flagstones with it.

Milliput white feels pretty brittle from memory, been some time since I've used it though. Failing that, making molds of sculpted flagstones then casting in plaster of paris would work perfectly, just take a pair of pliers to them once cast up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Did someone say sculpting?

Got a bit more done on Commissar Kringle.  Sculpted a hat and mostly finished up the cherub.

The base has a basic texture stamped on with one of my Happy Seppuku stamps (mud/snow), but that's just to make sure it's not all just smooth.  There'll be snow flocking added on over it, so I'm not too concerned about fingerprints and the like.  The head needs a little clean-up here and there, but it should be easy enough to do.

Scroll was done with GW Ushbati Bone and Agrax Earthshade.  Names were written with a micron pen.  I tried using a brush, but I just couldn't make it legible.  And you can see what I consider legible, so take my word that the brushwork was even worse.

The hat, I'll admit, is not the best sculpt.  But I ain't the best sculptor.  Next update, I'll be showing off the bag my buddy sculpted for this, and it looks awesome.  He's a much better sculptor than I am, despite having done a lot less of it.

The cherub was painted with Reaper MSP Rosy Skin, with some GW Reikland Fleshshade, with the metal bits done in Reaper MSP Tarnished Steel.  The metal arm was due to an accident.  It broke off when I was removing it from the sprue, and I knocked it to the carpet by accident.  I searched for five minutes, and ended up using a bit of sprue to replace it.  The ears were taken from an Olde World Miniatures Black Rock Clans Scorcher.  It's a goblin, but the ears were elfish enough for me, and he came with three alternate heads, making it an easy pick.  Clipped them off the head, glued them to the cherub, then painted them up with Reaper MSP Fair Skin, with bits of greenstuff to simulate nails, and Citadel Blood for the Blood God to drive home the point.  All that remains now is to repaint the wings a proper white and give 'em a wash.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

It's amazing how quick you can paint up Death Korps models when you only do one at a time! Now I just need to paint 24 more veterans :suicide:

Tried my hand at some subtle OSL glow from his screen, and I think it's not bad for my 2nd attempt at OSL ever. I bungled the drybrushing a bit, but it shouldn't be too noticeable, and I kept it subtle because I was a bit cautious about going totally overboard.

Should I give it a bit more? Maybe some green glow around the edges of his screen?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I've just started on my path to my first finished army. I plan to buy to a very specific list and stay true to it for awhile. Here's the start of my test scheme:

I really like how the gold has turned out so far. Airbrush work is done, now I go in with a brush. What do you guys think? I plan on washing the bronze/gold with a brown, then painting details red. Especially the toga/tabard.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I think Ogre Kingdom Gnoblars are going to work perfectly as DnD/Pathfinder Goblins.

EDIT: Does anyone have any tutorials or videos demonstrating how to paint red skin/flesh?

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 21, 2013

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is that seriously your first time sculpting? That's amazingly good.

Its my first time sculpting with green stuff for warhammer. But I've sculpted in some of my other hobbies before. But I really enjoyed customizing this model, I thought it would be way harder without proper tools.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

TheBlobThing posted:

It's amazing how quick you can paint up Death Korps models when you only do one at a time! Now I just need to paint 24 more veterans :suicide:

Tried my hand at some subtle OSL glow from his screen, and I think it's not bad for my 2nd attempt at OSL ever. I bungled the drybrushing a bit, but it shouldn't be too noticeable, and I kept it subtle because I was a bit cautious about going totally overboard.

Should I give it a bit more? Maybe some green glow around the edges of his screen?

I think it looks really good,I wouldn't over do it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Welp I'm in deep for real now, I've bought a storage unit for just bits and some of the paints.

And now all I'm missing is a daylight bulb and a storage rack for my primary paints.
Feels like all I'm missing now is an airbrush or something.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Dale-Taco posted:

As also an owner of a shih-tzu, I verify that this owns. However, you're not holding it close enough to the camera to accurately portray a shih-tzu's in-your-face-ness.

Here is the finished Battle Shih-tzu. All up in your face. I'm really happy with how he came out.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Milliput Update: I bought some fresh standard yellow-grey and it's like night and day compared to the other tubes I had. I guess I picked up dodgy, super old tubes when I bought the superfine white and normal black. The white and black are an absolutely bitch to blend together and then set to a slightly plasticky rubbery texture finish. Even cutting sections off the two tubes of putty to mix is hard and the outside is slightly cracked.

The new standard yellow grey is like mushing together play dough and blends like a dream. It's snapable when set as well. So much fun to mush about, I feel like a 4 year old again. I rolled some out on a baking sheet and left it to set next to the model I was working on, but kept putting my elbow into it. I have no idea why I didn't move it out the way.

Yellow grey - takes elbow prints well.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

TheBlobThing posted:

From this angle, my eyes were pulled to the screen and then pulled to the green glow on his chest and make me go: "look at that OSL". You had to mention that there wasn't very obvious green glow around the edges for me to even notice it. I'm not sure it even looks incorrect now that you mention it, and I half think it might look worse or over the top to add more to the edges. Of course, you could add the green glow as a learning experiment to see if it looks better or is just too much.

Front views of minis vs the actual overhead view that you see them on the table are very different things though, and you don't see the chest as much from above.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think that OSL is pretty much perfect, from the strength of the diffusion to the hue.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I want to build me some slaaneshian chaos knights: dark elf cold one knight, dragon prince mount, chaos knight steed head and shields. Thoughts??

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

E: double post

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I have another question! The curved edge Warmachine bases...the 30mm ones...is 30mm the outer circumference or the inner circle that you actually affix the model to?

If it's the first, what the working space at the centre of the base?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have another question! The curved edge Warmachine bases...the 30mm ones...is 30mm the outer circumference or the inner circle that you actually affix the model to?

If it's the first, what the working space at the centre of the base?

It's the outer circumference of the base, as in the actual footprint of the base on the table. I'm not sure what the inner circle is but the inner circle on a 50 is about 40 and on a 40 is almost exactly 30.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. I'll leave it as is. Less is more. From the right angle, the glow is still visible from a tabletop angle, just enough for neckbeards to want to pick him up in their greasy claws for a closer look. Which is what I wanted to achieve I guess.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I painted these Infinity Loup Garou. The sculpts are amazingly good. The proportions are perfect. I'm relatively certain they are at 1:56 scale.
I'm gonna do some more. It's educational.

The mud I sort of made up on the spot by mixing weathering powders (Tamyia) and some AK interactive grime streaking effect wash and fixed with fixative. I primed them with Tamyia superfine light grey which is really good but the downside of it is that it's so fine it doesn't have much tooth and paint can be removed with strong fingernail pressure. I should probably seal them with some matte varnish.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Hellbeard posted:

I painted these Infinity Loup Garou. The sculpts are amazingly good. The proportions are perfect. I'm relatively certain they are at 1:56 scale.
I'm gonna do some more. It's educational.

The mud I sort of made up on the spot by mixing weathering powders (Tamyia) and some AK interactive grime streaking effect wash and fixed with fixative. I primed them with Tamyia superfine light grey which is really good but the downside of it is that it's so fine it doesn't have much tooth and paint can be removed with strong fingernail pressure. I should probably seal them with some matte varnish.

What are you plants made from?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What are you plants made from?

Us plants are Silflor tufts and flowers, Woodland Scenics clumps and some generic static grass.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Unlike big-g's tanks, which start out looking great, mine start out looking like poo poo!

Camo basecoats!

I swear to god it'll look good. At some point.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sex Cannon posted:

Unlike big-g's tanks, which start out looking great, mine start out looking like poo poo!

Camo basecoats!

I swear to god it'll look good. At some point.

Shadaaap, it already looks good. A model that is prominently gray can be tough to finish because it takes a certain touch to make it look like it's not primer or bare plastic. But the color of the camo stripes is great and consistent. It's not easy to paint camoflague that looks like camoflague, so often it looks like disingenuine blotches of random color.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 22, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

So I found this while meandering the internet. A nice little display piece that's perfect for taking photos. I figured people might find some inspiration from this and make their own, to match their collection of miniatures; I know I'm gonna do a similar one, and maybe a few others for varying models (snow, inside a star ship, lava, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Got my first minis today, a box of striking scorpions. Well, I painted some stuff when I was 15 but that's ancient history. They look pretty cool but there's some bending on a few of them, namely the gun barrels and the swords. I looked it up online and apparently this is endemic to the citadel finecast range. Thankfully mine don't have any bubbles or holes, so if there's a way to fix the bending I won't need to return them.

Anyway, how common is this really? I wanted to start an Eldar army, but the main draw of them to me are the aspect warriors, and they're all finecast, so if it's a problem I might go for something more plastic heavy.

• Locked thread