Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Like, Tuvok was an okay character concept, you just take a Spock that's vaguely angry instead of vaguely sad and watch him try to control it, and maybe make him a little more tertiary instead of the second-in-command. And Tim Russ does pretty okay with what he's given, but he's playing that character on loving Voyager, where until Seven of Nine comes along, the only other interesting character is the hologram.
I genuinely enjoy Tuvok. He's sassy and good at his job and most of all, he's the only person on crew who actively dislikes Neelix which rockets him super high in my eyes. If only voyager wasn't loving voyager. gently caress. Why is it so angrily, aggressively disappointing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

LeafyOrb posted:

Call this my one really weird opinion about Voyager, but I unironically enjoyed Tuvix as a character (as much as you can like a character on Voyager) and would easily take him over either Tuvok or Neelix. His concept was loving retarded sure, but he was way more interesting than the other two were, plus he was actually competent at his job which is more than I can say for everyone else on the ship. I was actually kind of upset when Janeway murdered his rear end because Kes was sad. Also status quo and all that.

A couple of seasons later in the episode "Spirit Folk" Janeway refused to delete a malfunctioning holodeck program in order to save the lives of two crewmembers, because one of the holograms was her fucktoy of the crew's "emotional attachment" to the program.

Janeway probably has the most twisted morals of any lead character or tv, including the likes of Vic Mackey or Walter White.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When Vic Mackey convinces a man who just came out of a coma that he nearly beat a pregnant woman into having a miscarriage, you can tell Vic feels like poo poo for doing it.

When Janeway destroys an entire civilization's ability to protect itself, she feels zero remorse.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Whalley posted:

I genuinely enjoy Tuvok. He's sassy and good at his job and most of all, he's the only person on crew who actively dislikes Neelix which rockets him super high in my eyes. If only voyager wasn't loving voyager. gently caress. Why is it so angrily, aggressively disappointing?

I'm normally pretty good at coming up with half rear end excuses to help enjoy the show more than the average bear, but the episode where they find the Talaxian colony (episode where Neelix leaves) is really tough. Voyager has spent almost 7 seasons hauling rear end towards the Alpha Quadrant and taking tons of shortcuts (wormholes, Kes skipping them over Borg Space, tons of others, etc) yet somehow a Talaxian colony has made it further then them and they happen to cross each others path.

Now you could say maybe this group left generations ago and all that jazz, but I believe the way they are acting in the episode they act like they've only been there a few years and have only been away from home for a few years too. ANYWAY it's still a good episode if only for this Tuvokness at the end:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Whalley posted:

Tuvok has the best holodeck programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWlv_02fRyY

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hey Tuvok is alright with me.

I can't hate Voyager totally because even though it turned that Sky One block of Trek into a heap of boring poo poo before the Simpsons came on, it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU

Also today I learned about the Skant. I totally forgot about that one guy rocking one in an S1 episode.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, the ECH was. He fits all the notes. A cooler, more assertive version of a previously unhip character, but it gets out of hand and nearly winds up destroying the EMH before they can get it under control :ohdear:

The ECH was awesome. Especially the pip part.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
I vividly remember spitting out my drink when I watched the pip part for the first time years ago.

"TUVOK! Activate... the photonic cannon."

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just met the Klingon chef. Melora, it wasn't bad. S2 is certainly getting a thing going. People are willfully paying for Klingon food though? I remember Riker in that frankly awesome TNG ep doing his duty, but poo poo mang, dem be worms and it doesn't matter how much Yamok sauce you put on em.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Not everything is gagh. They eat roast targ, of course, so there's more to Klingon cuisine than worms which bite your throat as you swallow them.

e: haha, holy poo poo, Picard just neck-pinched Evil Tim Russ on TNG. Time for Die Hard in space!

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I just met the Klingon chef. Melora, it wasn't bad. S2 is certainly getting a thing going. People are willfully paying for Klingon food though? I remember Riker in that frankly awesome TNG ep doing his duty, but poo poo mang, dem be worms and it doesn't matter how much Yamok sauce you put on em.

Well there's your problem. Cardassian condiments are without honor. They don't belong anywhere near Klingon food.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Don't forget the bloodwine. Super alcoholic and super delicious.

drat space-terrorists, Picard just wanted to ride horses. But no, they had to mess with his ship.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is bloodwine brood from real blood?

Do they Pasteurize it first?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Do they Pasteurize it first?

Its like how girl scout cookies are made from real girl scouts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

The problem with Melora is that she's basically the embodiment of this moment from Life's Too Short, except she's not played for laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJiB2BGaoc

Lowen SoDium posted:

Your grammar is without honour.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kelvron posted:

drat space-terrorists, Picard just wanted to ride horses. But no, they had to mess with his ship.

And he killed absolutely every last one of them. Goddamn :stare:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kelvron posted:

Don't forget the bloodwine. Super alcoholic and super delicious.

He just wanted to kill Tuvok

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And he killed absolutely every last one of them. Goddamn :stare:

Whenever someone brings up how bad and out of character Picard is in the movies I like to bring up Die Hard in Space because Picard murders all the space terrorists.

Not trying to defend the movies though because they are pretty bad.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

1st AD posted:

Whenever someone brings up how bad and out of character Picard is in the movies I like to bring up Die Hard in Space because Picard murders all the space terrorists.

Makes sense. Picard recovered from the Borg by fighting his brother in a puddle. Best way to get over Gul Madred was to kill a bunch of thieving terrorists. The episode really needed a 'now I have a phaser, ha ha ha' moment.

I'm pretty sure blood is involved in the bloodwine distillation process, but since it's not purple, we can rule out Klingon blood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kelvron posted:

Makes sense. Picard recovered from the Borg by fighting his brother in a puddle. Best way to get over Gul Madred was to kill a bunch of thieving terrorists. The episode really needed a 'now I have a phaser, ha ha ha' moment.

I'm pretty sure blood is involved in the bloodwine distillation process, but since it's not purple, we can rule out Klingon blood.

Klingon blood is only purple when it is released in zero gravity. This is because their hemoglobins require gravitons in order to technobabble.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That was the greatest/most horrifying thing Mike ever did.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was the greatest/most horrifying thing Mike ever did.

Still better than most Voyager episodes. Less technobabble too.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

I'm sure you've all seen this page, but I just stumbled on it and some of the random reaction shots are killing me.

My favourite is this Vulcan, though. He's pretty smug:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How did I never notice that Patricia Tallman was in like every Star Trek?

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

1st AD posted:

kelvron posted:

I always really liked the part in Nemesis where Shinzon impales himself on the pole and collapses on Picard. There's a ton of subtext to it if you want there to be. Here is Picard, who's been agonizing over nature versus nurture when confronted with a younger version of himself. Then, suddenly, here's Picard face-to-face with his younger self dying exactly how Picard almost died.

Shame about that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember this guy's song that became a meme on the Subspace network? The one about Wolf 359 called "Federation We Stand As One?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Great_Gerbil posted:

I always really liked the part in Nemesis where Shinzon impales himself on the pole and collapses on Picard. There's a ton of subtext to it if you want there to be. Here is Picard, who's been agonizing over nature versus nurture when confronted with a younger version of himself. Then, suddenly, here's Picard face-to-face with his younger self dying exactly how Picard almost died.

Shame about that.

Did you know Shinzon and the lead singer of the Romantics had the same tailor?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiyrIuotFFA This is amazing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

We cannot exterminate something that may or may not be intelligent :iceburn:

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Farecoal posted:

We cannot exterminate something that may or may not be intelligent :iceburn:

My favorite was the "which of you is least important?" segment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

1st AD posted:

I don't think he actually directly murdered any of them, and he lacked the means to prevent their deaths after he incapacitated them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He disabled the magnetic safety on the trilithium container, he might as well have strapped that poo poo to an RPG and launched it out the window of Ten Forward himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think he actually directly murdered any of them, and he lacked the means to prevent their deaths after he incapacitated them.

He absolutely kills the dude in the jeffries tube, by setting up a lure to get him to where the baryon sweep will pass through the wall ahead of him. Then yeah, he just can't do anything about Tuvok, but that's still a death on his conscience; there's no doubt Picard knew what leaving him in sickbay would mean.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For a peacetime captain, Picard's killed an absolutely phenomenal amount of people via ship-to-ship engagements, five terrorists trying to build a WMD is nothing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the actress who played Winn was such a great villain. She was so good at being a smarmy bitch, but in a totally believable way.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Trent posted:

Man, the actress who played Winn was such a great villain. She was so good at being a smarmy bitch, but in a totally believable way.

Her performance is so great, it's enough to make one fly right over a nest of some sort, specifically one that involves cuckoos.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Kai Winn is the worst school principal everyone's ever had.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Her performance is so great, it's enough to make one fly right over a nest of some sort, specifically one that involves cuckoos.

You might say that bitch is...ratchet :smug:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I always loved how loving delusional Kai Winn was. The final season of DS9 when she finally realizes that she wasn't one of the good guys was the greatest thing. How do you get introduced by blowing up school and still think you are fighting the good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3ibgc2ESs

• Locked thread