Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm actually not going to call bullshit here. Natsu had Wendy there to heal him while Lucy stalled, and his trick of positioning the affected part of his body to allow himself to eat the explosion makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kuroyama posted:

And three months from now, there'll be a "Laxus vs. That One Dude" chapter and Laxus will have found a way around the guy's ability.

Because Mashima said so.

Nah, he's going to win in the re-match because he ate the dude's power. He's a dragonslayer, artificial or no, that means he's getting some jazzy new powers out of it. It's one of the few things that Fairy Tail has been consistent about really.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm actually not going to call bullshit here. Natsu had Wendy there to heal him while Lucy stalled, and his trick of positioning the affected part of his body to allow himself to eat the explosion makes sense.

Plus, let's face it, it was an explosion. The fact it put Natsu out of commission at all is more bullshit than the fact he found a way around it.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
Bullshit aside, it felt awesome watching Natsu ram that guy full speed in the throat. Eat poo poo dog boy, friendship is here :black101:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
If I were Natsu, I'd just keep punching explosion dude over and over with the power of EXPLOSION FISTS.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Exploding Lightning Fire Dragon's Roar?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Fairy Tail Manga Thread 4: The Baked Fairy, Natsu!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Exploding Lightning Fire Dragon's Roar?

Erupting Burning Finger, obviously.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I long ago gave up any attempt to hold FT to a higher standard than "wow it was pretty cool the way Natsu punched that dude with fire/Erza did pretty much anything Erza has ever done."

Which, to be fair, is probably the only bar that Mashima is aiming for.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Natsu needs to eat Lucy's Gemini key so he can use clone powers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chapter 362

Is it just me or Mashima just ripped off that scene on the Alabasta arc on One Piece?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Plutonis posted:

Chapter 362

Is it just me or Mashima just ripped off that scene on the Alabasta arc on One Piece?

That was exactly what I thought. Pell 2.0, basically.

Also I like how Natsu was constantly being blown up and his clothes are only a little frayed at the edges, whereas at the first sign of danger the clothing of female characters goes running for the hills. I suppose if nothing else Mashima is consistent.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
AFRO HAPPY... A MAN'S MAN!?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Plutonis posted:

Chapter 362

Flying characters taking a bomb that's about to go off into the sky isn't exactly a rare thing in video games/anime/comic books/ect.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Seriously, the cat got a moment to be competent before Lucy did?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only thing I thought of during that scene was that Happy's grin just before the explosion looked very Getter-esque/Ishikawa-esque. The idea of someone flying a bomb off is so generic that it didn't really trigger anything particular for me.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think part of me is happy that it turned out how it did. Part of the charm of this manga is that friendship conquers all, and the heroes always win. After Laxus' near death I actually was almost concerned they might do the same, to try and make the manga darker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It does look like this will be a reoccurring thing when fighting Tartarus. Gajeel will just Iron Dragon's Drive the guy he faces off against and they'll self destruct off in the distance as he looks on with his hand shielding his eyes to gauge the distance.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Chapter 363.

Elfman needs to try to kill Lisanna less.

Face sounds like a pretty cool weapon, but only because I'm holding out hope for Tartarus to fire it off, successfully wipe out all magic on the continent and then get mowed down by some nonmages with Kalashnikovs.

Also, that the Council's other weapons are called Hannibal, Murdock and B.A.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

attackbunny posted:

Chapter 363.

Elfman needs to try to kill Lisanna less.

Did the manga ever say how Lisanna "died"? I remember the anime showed it, but I don't remember the same scene from the anime of Elfman "killing" her being in the manga.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I think she fell off a cliff?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
When did reindeer become a mode of transportation in this universe?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And the OS is free. Keeping some of their old looks from the Anime arc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't even remember who they are, or who the guy with short black hair and scars is.

But at least I'll always be able to recognize Jellal.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the OS is free. Keeping some of their old looks from the Anime arc.

You know, I thought Brain/Master Zero died in the explosion at the end of his arc. They even left him out of the Key of the Starry Sky arc, having a clone guy in his place, which really suggested to me the original was dead. But nope, he was alive and well the whole time, with Mashima or the editors seemingly shying away from actually killing off a character.. only to IMMEDIATELY KILL HIM OFF THE SECOND HE REAPPEARS.

I can only guess on the rationale being that it means it wasn't Natsu that "killed" him this way.

As for appearance, it looks like Midnight lost his long hair from the anime arc, and Racer changed back from his.. whatever that was. Why is Hoteye hanging out with baddies though? Oh I guess they're going to be Sort of Friends for this arc. Fresh influx of Jobbers for Tartaros! :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sindai posted:

I don't even remember who they are, or who the guy with short black hair and scars is.

I realize Fairy Tail isn't exactly the deepest manga out there and pretty frequently tosses in bad guys just to have them lose and never come back but I felt like Oracion Seis were probably the most memorable group of villains in the series. That, and how the hell do you forget Doranbolt? He hasn't even gone anywhere, he's been an active character the entire time since he was introduced!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

I realize Fairy Tail isn't exactly the deepest manga out there and pretty frequently tosses in bad guys just to have them lose and never come back but I felt like Oracion Seis were probably the most memorable group of villains in the series. That, and how the hell do you forget Doranbolt? He hasn't even gone anywhere, he's been an active character the entire time since he was introduced!

That arc and its villains were terrible. I'd barely put them above the dude with an amusement park.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I dont know who any of them are.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Were these the guys supposedly so powerful there were only 6 of them and they proceeded to just get their rear end handed to them?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Harry posted:

Were these the guys supposedly so powerful there were only 6 of them and they proceeded to just get their rear end handed to them?

That's every villain. I don't really mind the fanservice or the dopey plotlines as much as others, but I really hate how there's never any tension whatsoever and villains are never, ever even remotely threatening.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Minerva is probably the first decent villain in the manga. She has goals unrelated to FT, but she also really, really loving hates Erza. Most of the rest are either completely forgettable or do a face turn.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Simoom posted:

That's every villain. I don't really mind the fanservice or the dopey plotlines as much as others, but I really hate how there's never any tension whatsoever and villains are never, ever even remotely threatening.

Did you skip the Tenroujima arc? The part where they hit a snag when the extended main cast was wiped out in one shot?

Then there was also the foretold Day of Lavos in another 7 years, and how everybody died.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

Minerva is probably the first decent villain in the manga. She has goals unrelated to FT, but she also really, really loving hates Erza. Most of the rest are either completely forgettable or do a face turn.

She's also in the middle of doing a face turn and becoming a good guy given recent developments and has only really hated Erza for about one or two arcs, most of which she barely appeared for. She might be better than other villains, but I wouldn't go calling her good or even decent personally.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Oh look, it's a special with Hiro Mashima drawing Seven Deadly Sins and Suzuki Nakaba drawing Fairy Tail.

It's kind of... odd. Mashima seems to make Melodias and Elizabeth into Natsu and Lucy while Nakaba just cranks Natu's characterization until it becomes a parody.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Fairy Tail 365 is out at the usual places.

This manga has reached a whole new level of fanservice.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thoren posted:

Fairy Tail 365 is out at the usual places.

This manga has reached a whole new level of fanservice.

It's kind of sad, between your comment and the title of the chapter, I knew exactly what was going to happen. drat, Mashima.

At least the ending was awesome.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
That just doesn't make sense. The council wants Jellal dead. That would be why they tried to execute him. Why make somebody you want to kill into one of the people you really need alive? There is nothing on earth, Earthland or Edolas that can make that make sense.

Also, gently caress's sake, Mashima, torture fanservice? "Well, in this scene Erza's being brutally beaten and threatened with the death of a loved one, better put bouncing titties everywhere."

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well we now know for sure that Angel is indeed Yukino's sister.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

attackbunny posted:

Also, gently caress's sake, Mashima, torture fanservice? "Well, in this scene Erza's being brutally beaten and threatened with the death of a loved one, better put bouncing titties everywhere."

While it does reduce the emotional impact of the scene, in a sense that's not a bad thing for a comedy series when dealing with something relatively heavy like torture. It was way worse a few weeks back when Erza or Juvia was supposed to be reacting in horror and shock, crying over something or other and most of the panel was taken up by their heaving tits. I don't normally give a poo poo about the excessive fan service in Fairy Tail (and didn't this chapter for instance), but even I found that page rather tasteless since it takes away so much from what was supposed to be a sad moment.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Wow, this is history's strongest disciple Kenichi level of fanservice, only with more torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

attackbunny posted:

That just doesn't make sense. The council wants Jellal dead. That would be why they tried to execute him. Why make somebody you want to kill into one of the people you really need alive? There is nothing on earth, Earthland or Edolas that can make that make sense.

Not to defend Fairy Tail's plot, but remember that before he was an Outlaw guild wizard or a maniacal would-be mass murderer, Jellal (or at least a double he made or something, I don't remember) was a high ranking member of the Council. That, I imagine, is when he was made one of the three secret keepers.

• Locked thread