Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's a good start, but you need to go further. Those Roman usurpers are holding lands that historically belong to the Persian Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

Purple is the best color. :colbert:

I am always reluctant to fight against the Byzantines and try to avoid it, because the second Rome is really cool.

But a Third (Zoroastrian) Rome would be even cooler. Sky burials on the walls of Byzantium

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Welp, just found the upside to taking over the Papacy: your Pope will always grant you claims on duchies because of that +200 election opinion boost :woop:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

hellsjudge posted:

Welp, just found the upside to taking over the Papacy: your Pope will always grant you claims on duchies because of that +200 election opinion boost :woop:

It's still rare to find a ruler that the Pope has a negative opinion of.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's still rare to find a ruler that the Pope has a negative opinion of.

Man, I tell the Pope who to hate.

e:

Actually I'm running out of Catholic rulers to take over so this might be too late in the game.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 21, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is it possible to restore the Roman Empire as anyone other than the Byzantines? Because I would love to see a game ending in an epic showdown between the Byzantine Empire, a restored Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, a horde of Ottoman Turks, and a united Imperial Russia.

The Battle of Five Romes. :getin:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

As king of Ireland, I took a guy with a claim to Brittany, gave him a city, then pressed the claim and conquered Brittany. Now this guy has the titles to Brittany and that city in Ireland, and he counts as a Grand Mayor while Brittany is a Republic within the kingdom of Ireland. Is it okay to leave it like that, or is there another way I should set the titles up that's more effective? The lands I control now are all of Ireland, Brittany, and one county in Wales.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

aqu posted:

I'm totally down for this. We should start a thread in the LP forum.

Mhmm, I can probably get a thread and an update up soon. Anyone want to suggest a starting position? I figure Old Gods start date would be best to give the most time but I'd be up for any other suggestions.

Succession game turn order:
Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress
aqu
Lurksion
QuoProQuid
alcaras

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

As king of Ireland, I took a guy with a claim to Brittany, gave him a city, then pressed the claim and conquered Brittany. Now this guy has the titles to Brittany and that city in Ireland, and he counts as a Grand Mayor while Brittany is a Republic within the kingdom of Ireland. Is it okay to leave it like that, or is there another way I should set the titles up that's more effective? The lands I control now are all of Ireland, Brittany, and one county in Wales.

If you like a merchant republic as a vassal (and any good-sized realm should have at least one) then it is all right to leave him be.

For the future: If you land courtiers to press their claims, you usually give them castles so that they become proper feudal lords.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

Is it possible to restore the Roman Empire as anyone other than the Byzantines? Because I would love to see a game ending in an epic showdown between the Byzantine Empire, a restored Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, a horde of Ottoman Turks, and a united Imperial Russia.

The Battle of Five Romes. :getin:

Well you could restore Rome as the Byzantines and then pull a Diocletian and split it into two. Basically that would mean forming the kingdom titles for the Eastern Empire and handing them off to someone Greek and granting them independence. I don't know if the Roman Empire tag overrides the Byzantine one, if it doesn't then they should be able to create the empire on their own (or you could switch over and do it).

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

The Nozzle posted:

I don't know if the Roman Empire tag overrides the Byzantine one, if it doesn't then they should be able to create the empire on their own (or you could switch over and do it).

The Roman and Byzantine empires can't coexist. Nor can the Byzantine and Latin empires, but Roman and latin might, I'd have to check the creation conditions.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Mhmm, I can probably get a thread and an update up soon. Anyone want to suggest a starting position? I figure Old Gods start date would be best to give the most time but I'd be up for any other suggestions.

Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress
aqu
Lurksion
QuoProQuid
alcaras

I say old gods start date too, and can we pass around an Ironman save or will the game break?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'd suggest starting later in the Stamford hill bookmark - and all as vassals of the HRE :getin:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

This is an ancient post, but did you ever follow up on that and do this for EUIV? I'd love to get a download link if you did.

Sorry I didn't get this up sooner. I'll post it in the EUIV thread too, just in case. I think it's particularly obvious around the Carpathians and Atlas mountains:

Don't know how long it stays up on Game Front
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23929038/EUIV_Inverted.zip

Goes in the map folder (make a mini-mod if you want to play it safe).

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My ruler just inherited and I can't seem to choose an ambition for him, which is a pain because his stewardship sucks and I am loathe to give away my nice counties.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

My ruler just inherited and I can't seem to choose an ambition for him, which is a pain because his stewardship sucks and I am loathe to give away my nice counties.

Keep them, the hit isn't that big.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I've had that happen a couple of times, I was able to choose an ambition a short time later. Try waiting a few months.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What might have happened is that your heir had cancelled an ambition while he was still under AI control, which meant that when he inherited he still had the cooldown which meant he couldn't choose an ambition for however long. Give it a couple of years at most.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So I'm looking to set up a multiplayer game with a friend, but we're having some trouble. We're fine playing EUIV, but not CK2? Is there something weird about it?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok I am feeling a bit dense. When I am looking at the CK 2 package on steam with all the DLC I don't see some of the DLC included. Things like the old gods and such. Would I be right in assuming that I have to buy those separately or am I just a blind moron who can't see they are included.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Raged posted:

Ok I am feeling a bit dense. When I am looking at the CK 2 package on steam with all the DLC I don't see some of the DLC included. Things like the old gods and such. Would I be right in assuming that I have to buy those separately or am I just a blind moron who can't see they are included.

Nah you're right. You'd assume Old Gods is because Old Gods is the best, but nope. Not in the Steam deal. At least you noticed it before you bought it unlike me. The packages comes with everything but like the in game customizer, Old Gods, and Sons of Abraham for things that do stuff.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Edison was a dick posted:

The Roman and Byzantine empires can't coexist. Nor can the Byzantine and Latin empires, but Roman and latin might, I'd have to check the creation conditions.

Random sidenote: it's really weird that the Byzantine and Latin Empires can't co-exist considering one of the bookmarks starts with both of them in existence. (Fourth Crusade one or something?)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

If you like a merchant republic as a vassal (and any good-sized realm should have at least one) then it is all right to leave him be.

For the future: If you land courtiers to press their claims, you usually give them castles so that they become proper feudal lords.

OK. I have my demesne all set up already (all the counties in Tara and Munster, plus an extra castle in Dublin) and I didn't want to give up one of those, and revoking someone else's city was easier than a county.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress
aqu
Lurksion
QuoProQuid
alcaras

I definitely vote Old Gods. I'd prefer to start as a pagan of some sort as well, but don't care which.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Sorry I didn't get this up sooner. I'll post it in the EUIV thread too, just in case. I think it's particularly obvious around the Carpathians and Atlas mountains:

Don't know how long it stays up on Game Front
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23929038/EUIV_Inverted.zip

Goes in the map folder (make a mini-mod if you want to play it safe).

Really neat, thanks!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Is there a way to destroy a title via the console? I created the Alban Empire (norse religioned, Irish cultured), and I left them to go play a different ruler, but they're becoming too powerful (they've got Germany and West Francia now) so I want to bring them down a little.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
God drat, Ironmode is a real bitch when you press the wrong button by accident and gently caress up something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cityinthesea posted:

Is there a way to destroy a title via the console? I created the Alban Empire (norse religioned, Irish cultured), and I left them to go play a different ruler, but they're becoming too powerful (they've got Germany and West Francia now) so I want to bring them down a little.

Switch players, don't unpause, and destroy the title, switch back. As long as you don't unpause the game while you're switching from ruler to ruler, you can go around the map doing poo poo and come back to your game without the AI loving things up. I often do that to make the AI "better".

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Alternatively, give the title to some random count, then give his counties to someone else (both of these via the console). Person is unlanded, title is destroyed.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

You could do it the fun way, in which you train up a succession of rulers with extremely high intrigue, then plot and scheme to destroy the Empire. Fabricate evidence of treason, incite revolts, assassinate key figures, just do everything you can to gently caress with them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Finally, finally, finally got the Shaoshyant achievo after days of trying. When I'd figured out the ultimate fool proof strat, the game saw fit to give me 2 rulers that lived past 70 and then bestowed me with a Genius to finish off the last few duchies. Every time I had succession I'd be involved in a jihad for my territory so I never had rebellions and by the time the wars were over the short reign penalty was gone. Kinda tempted to take this game to the end and get the chieve for doing so, but meh.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Byzantine and Rome are definitely exclusive. Talking about restoring Rome: What is the fastest way of switching religions? Having a lot of concubines and hoping for an event? Should I move my capital? Fill my council with those weird orthodox herectics I have? Having my heir educated probably won't work since Byzantine reverted to gavelkind and some count somewhere will probably hate the dirty Vikings who rule them now.

Edit: Ah, being norse pope prevents you from converting.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 21, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is there an issue with CK2+? Everything was working fine for me until yesterday, and today I decided to get CK2+ and do the 2GB fix from the OP, and now it gets stuck at loading flags (or the one right before it, if I delete the gfx folder in Documents). I haven't tried deleting anything in the 'main' Steam CK2 folder, but I've tried all three combinations of placing the CK2+ mod itself (main folder, Documents, both).

Any ideas on what might be causing it?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Friar John posted:

So I'm looking to set up a multiplayer game with a friend, but we're having some trouble. We're fine playing EUIV, but not CK2? Is there something weird about it?

From what I've tried CK MP is a little more unstable lately.

I'm just holding out for the Steamworks integration

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, at least in my game rulers seem to be pretty much invincible for some reason. They're never captured when you take their capital or defeat them in battle, they hardly ever get hurt in hunts or fights, etc. If all else fails though, you can just console-kill him.

Ironman, so no console, sadly.

hellsjudge posted:

Try assassinating the king of something, they usually fire back with assassination attempts if you're unsuccessful and get discovered, and before you know it you're seeing that guy who brought you wine snake away as your vision gets blurry.

I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

alcaras posted:

Do people actually take their rulers into battle? I never do, mostly because the few times I have, the ruler would always end up dead after a few battles.

Half the time when I raise levies, I forget to check if my ruler's been made leader of one of them. It's really dumb that the game automatically assumes you want to put your own squishy avatar in danger.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

For any (like me) who still don't have all of the DLC, some of it's on sale on Amazon. It gives you codes in the Games and Software Library that can activate the DLC on Steam. For some, it's more on sale than directly from Steam (Old Gods $3.74).

It says that it isn't giftable. Does this mean that I can't ask someone from the US to buy it and gift it to my European Steam account?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 21, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, so I am in around about 1100 and I have just about conquered everywhere in Europe. Norse is now larger than the top 5 other religions combined, the pope is an old man wandering around the remnants of the imperial city, Catholicism is (at best) a heresy.

And I am so bored. I mean I am playing as the Norse and now all it is is just painting the rest of the map blue, my vassals are either unwilling or unable to depose me so all I am doing is waiting for the Mongolian invasion and the Aztec's to show up.

What else should I do, do you think? Wait a little while longer and then convert it into EU4?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so I am in around about 1100 and I have just about conquered everywhere in Europe. Norse is now larger than the top 5 other religions combined, the pope is an old man wandering around the remnants of the imperial city, Catholicism is (at best) a heresy.

And I am so bored. I mean I am playing as the Norse and now all it is is just painting the rest of the map blue, my vassals are either unwilling or unable to depose me so all I am doing is waiting for the Mongolian invasion and the Aztec's to show up.

What else should I do, do you think? Wait a little while longer and then convert it into EU4?

Switch to some vassal Count Nobody and take your empire down from the inside. It's the proper way to deal with having "won" a game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Finally, finally, finally got the Shaoshyant achievo after days of trying. When I'd figured out the ultimate fool proof strat,

Is it the strat you talked about earlier or something else? I'm interested.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Is it the strat you talked about earlier or something else? I'm interested.

It basically was the strategy that a few people have mentioned (swear fealty to Khiva, faction for elective, faction for the kingdom title), but I banished all my vassals and quickly declared holy war on the Emirate that's fighting the Saffarids for their northern duchy (to weaken the Saffarids), then declaring on the Saffarids themselves once the other war is done. A few things can go wrong, particularly with how the Shah of Khiva reacts to your faction demands, but for the most part it's the most painless way to get a jump start on the Persian Empire, and believe me, I tried everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Josef bugman posted:

When you're bored of playing "sandcastle builder," play "sandcastle Godzilla." Conquer the entire map, crank your tyranny through the roof, and then switch to some random count and watch the fireworks.

• Locked thread