Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Just FYI this can be really bad for rabbits. Not to mention the decorations/electric cords around there. You should keep him away.

According to the House Rabbit Society, Christmas trees that are not treated with pesticides are perfectly fine for rabbits to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
It's a fresh tree. I chase him away every time I catch him, which is a lot. Persistent little bastard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr Confetti posted:

Persistent little bastard.

Rabbits.txt

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

According to the House Rabbit Society, Christmas trees that are not treated with pesticides are perfectly fine for rabbits to eat.

You're assuming they're not going to choke or injure themselves on the needles. Because mine totally would.

Still no improvement in Billy's behavior. There's still constant humping, dominant behavior, picking fights with his girlfriend, spraying piss and pooping all over the place, he's driving me insane. He used to be SUCH a gentleman.

He's also losing weight, because who has time to eat when you have so much humping to do? And he's now cool with my picking him up and snuggling him. It's a total personality change. Not sure if I should take him to a vet because what can a vet really do about this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DS at Night posted:

You're assuming they're not going to choke or injure themselves on the needles. Because mine totally would.

You're rabbit must have hard time eating hay then :v:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

DS at Night posted:

Still no improvement in Billy's behavior. There's still constant humping, dominant behavior, picking fights with his girlfriend, spraying piss and pooping all over the place, he's driving me insane. He used to be SUCH a gentleman.

He's also losing weight, because who has time to eat when you have so much humping to do? And he's now cool with my picking him up and snuggling him. It's a total personality change. Not sure if I should take him to a vet because what can a vet really do about this?

It could be a medical issue, that's a pretty large personality change to happen unless he either hit puberty or you introduced a new bun. I would err on the side of caution and have him looked at if you can.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson completely changed after he got head tilt. He got so smart.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I know I should take him to the vet at some point because the whole situation is kind of bizarre, but he couldn't have had worse timing, I have no money and right now I'm too ill to leave the house. Anyway I can't begin to guess what his problem is. He's himself but more rude and energetic. He seems fine otherwise- holding his head straight, eating, sleeping, grooming himself normally.

Trabisnikof posted:

You're rabbit must have hard time eating hay then :v:

I know they're always getting it in their eyes or noses and then being incredibly insulted that this hay magically appeared there. I've also seen Billy choke on a pellet then run around the room as if that was going to help. I've since read up on heimlich maneuvers for babies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DS at Night posted:

I know they're always getting it in their eyes or noses and then being incredibly insulted that this hay magically appeared there. I've also seen Billy choke on a pellet then run around the room as if that was going to help. I've since read up on heimlich maneuvers for babies.

Ours like to put on hay hats, that is until they notice said hay hate and eat it.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Lily saw a magpie land on the windowsill which was of course a traumatising experience requiring a lot of thumping, growling, and running around like an idiot.

Rabbits.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunny snuggles? Yes please.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's a Christmas Bunny for you all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Here's a Christmas Bunny for you all.

I'm guessing a couple of those fingers were bitten off 5 seconds after that photo was taken.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Additional holiday bunny likes pears:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DS at Night posted:

They can absolutely tell when you're not capable of chasing them off. The other day when I had the flu and was throwing up in the bathroom I came back to find both of mine in the windowsill gnawing on the walls and eating the curtains.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure we give off a pheromone or something when we're about to pick him up, he can totally tell and will do a little single hop away from us so he's just out of arms reach. He'll have his head patted all day but just *knows* when we're trying to hug him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bunnies are also complete bastards and masters of manipulation.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
My bun is extremely angry with me at the moment. This is because I left the jar of treats unattended and with no lid. Clearly, in his little bunny brain I have done this purely to torment him since the level of the treats is just below where he can reach and the jar is just too heavy for him to knock over. He is now a little ball of frustration and rewarded me for getting a treat for him with a grunt and the most calculated bite I've ever seen.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
RIP Clover. :( You were a good bun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Operation Juicebox posted:

Oh no, the cute lion head bun. I am sorry she left you guys so soon.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Ohh man even more bunny loss. I'm sorry.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

I rushed her to the vet last night when I went to feed her. She was just covered in diarhoea. She didn't make it overnight. Conrad has spent a couple of hours with her body and is now by himself, feeling sad bless him. She will be cremated and then we are going to grow some rosemary by mixing the ashes with the soil which Conrad will have.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Sorry to hear about Clover :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I really hope that 2014 is better for this thread.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Here's my favourite picture of Clover. Conrad seems okay. Just letting him roam about in here with me, but he ate well tonight. Bleh. No more PI bunny losses in 2013 please thread!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Such a sweet looking bun. Major condolences to everyone who lost their loved ones.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Oh no, more than 10 replies which means someone else left us. :(

Thats horrible. :(

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
No More Bunny death.

Have some pictures of Bunny Hass the Christmas Bunny?

voodoonoid fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 25, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Here's my favourite picture of Clover. Conrad seems okay. Just letting him roam about in here with me, but he ate well tonight. Bleh. No more PI bunny losses in 2013 please thread!

Aw, I'm sorry, she's a cutie :(

More immortal bunnies please

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's a rabbit that's not dead, just insanely good looking.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
At the vet with Ender - GI stasis again.

I've done everything I can to give them the ideal diet and he's getting episodes more frequently as he ages. He's not that old (7) but I wonder if he's got some sort of defect. Portia has had one episode in the 6 years I've had her and eats cardboard, leaves, and paper for fun. loving rabbits.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Asshat and Moron are still healthy, even though they're driving me nuts with the fighting, spraying piss and pooping everywhere. I tried separating them but they acted so heartbroken and upset that I put them back together in like a few hours. loving rabbits.

The vet's offices are closed for the holidays but I intend to get them looked at ASAP even if I don't really expect the vet to be able to do anything. Is there such a thing as rabbit valium?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ender is fine - the vet did IV fluids which slapped the stasis in the face. I've never had a vet do that before; normally they've told me to do Regulan/force feeding which really takes awhile. This time he was better within a few hours and is now eating.

The good news is that I have drugs and a full IV for next time. He also said given Ender's age we need to really keep him full of fluids and he said that adding a small amount of juice to the water is fine. I guess the need for hydration outweighs the sugar issues.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

Ender is fine - the vet did IV fluids which slapped the stasis in the face. I've never had a vet do that before; normally they've told me to do Regulan/force feeding which really takes awhile. This time he was better within a few hours and is now eating.

The good news is that I have drugs and a full IV for next time. He also said given Ender's age we need to really keep him full of fluids and he said that adding a small amount of juice to the water is fine. I guess the need for hydration outweighs the sugar issues.

We've had our vet give Cilantro subcutaneous fluids when she was having a bout of stasis, but not IV fluids. :ohdear:

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Haven't posted any updates, but the buns are doing great!

Happy Holidays!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Invader Mat posted:

Haven't posted any updates, but the buns are doing great!

Happy Holidays!

Omg they're beautiful :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

We've had our vet give Cilantro subcutaneous fluids when she was having a bout of stasis, but not IV fluids. :ohdear:

Duh sorry you're right. I don't know why I think the two are the same.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Just wanted to rant about a friend. She mentioned recently that, since her roomie (and said roomie's bunny) were moving out soon, she was thinking about getting her own bunny. Hooray, right? So I was super excited and asked her to please look into a shelter and she said of course. Double hooray, right? And then I said I'd be happy to help her out with apartment setup for the bunny and any help she wanted in getting used to her new companion. She told me she'd taken care of her roomie's bunny plenty of times and -- warning sign -- it would just stay in the cage most of the time anyway, right?

Me: glerp.

I'm sure nobody wants to be lectured on pet care but I basically launched into a whole thesis on what bunny care entails and their habits and needs, and how to make friends with your local emergency vet, etc. and she basically brushed it all off as if it were nothing, and said "whatever, it's just a pet".

I politely told her I had to stop this conversation before I got angry, and got up and walked elsewhere.

It's bad enough people mistreat animals because they don't know better. I'm trying to offer up what I've learned from years of researching how to best take care of bunnies and she can't be bothered to listen. I'm really stressed out about her potential future bunny now. I can only hope I've exasperated her enough to reconsider getting a bunny. :/

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I was lying on the couch reading a book and my furry little jerk jumped on my chest and nipped me on the chin. I yelled at him, he paused, licked my chin once and then did it again. He's in his pen now for a time out, little bastard.

Is that him trying to get my attention, or was he trying to groom me and just thrown off a bit by my stubble and thought I had tougher rabbit fur that could be nibbled a bit? He's accidentally nibbled my fingers a little when eating a cherry or something but this time was way harder.

edit: This is him less than a minute beforehand, he jumped up on this coffee table he isn't allowed on and started trying to steal a spoon before I told him off.

edit 2: oh yeah and see that crappy little CRT on the floor? That used to be up on the tv cabinet with the real tv. This morning I was woken up by that hitting the ground, I got out of bed and saw that smug jerk sitting behind it and the CRT on its front on the floor. I guess he was wiggling behind it or something.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 3, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
He was being a jerk. You clearly pay too little attention to the head bun, you are a terrible submissive bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Normally if I'm on the floor or he's at head height in any way he'll lick my forehead for minutes at a time and he's pretty good at coming when his name is called so I thought he figured I was a bigger bunny than him but goddamn that little jerk, okay fine.