Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Pickled Tink posted:

I got it working when this LP started, but it is a bugger to get working properly since the steam installation instructions are installed as part of the installation. I'll just quote them for you to make it easier:

Following that got it working properly. My first attempted install broke everything and I had to wipe everything and reinstall the game for my second, successful, attempt.

Thanks for typing this up. Appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There's still an LP in here, right? I tripped at the doorway over a lot of sourcebooks and 70s style line printouts someone stole from their dad's work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

gatz posted:

Finals are over (thank caine), so an update will come tomorrow or friday.

Herr Gatz put this up several posts back. This signal-noise ratio is to be expected though for a WoD game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Queen Fiona posted:

I would point out that nonsense like this appears to be White Wolf's entire MO. This nonsense is the selling point, and more to the point a big reason people get hideous aversion whenever White Wolf comes up. People saying how overcomplicated it was turned me off from Bloodlines for years, and then the game itself was simple, and then you read about other stuff and realize 'no, wait, they were right after all'. This appears to be the case for every single game line they do; I remember trying to follow some IRC acquaintances trying to talk about Aberrant and Exalted and coming away feeling it was an impenetrable mess a casual player had no hope of understanding. (Reading poo poo on Aberrant after it was mentioned in this thread has not changed my opinion much.)

Like, I liked this game! I liked reading (kinda) through the core Vampire book with my friend (I think it was Revised?) and doing a small, self-contained bit. This is all fine, there's not too much here, there's no 'nonsense'. Apparently, though White Wolf does not know how to quit, and more casual players like me who just want to be mesmerist vampires or w/e feel kinda small compared to this expansive and ludicrous universe full of god-creatures and self-inserts.

Yeah, I could play it without all of that, but everyone else will tell me about all this poo poo and pretend I should care. I think I'll stick to my other games.

Your impression is kind of skewed. You talk of overcomplicated nonsense being White Wolf's entire MO, but it really isn't. The game lines vary wildly in complexity.

Exalted? Oh god yes Exalted is a mess. Vampire? Changeling? Demon? Werewolf? Not so much!

Mage and Exalted are really the kings of byzantine, over complicated nonsense and they're two of the most frequently talked about.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I got into oWoD from the manual that came with Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption. Just because there's some serious depths doesn't mean you can't have a jolly old time splashing about in the shallow end.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ah, Bloodlines. It is impressive how good VA/animation and a setting can hold so well against time. Loved that buggy old mess when I played it for the first time.

I never played a single White Wolf game (well other than Bloodlines if that counts). Yet, I read like a shitload of pages from the WW wikia - then some books - just to get what the gently caress is going on this setting after beating this game. Given that amount of material, I never figured why there are so few videogames about WoD in general.

So, let me use the opportunity of the whole lorechat to ask: what was the deal with time of judgement, after all? Did the writers thought "gently caress this we got ourselves in a huge mess let's do it again?" I don't know anything about nWoD to see if it has been improved or not, but I liked oWoD for its ridiculous megalomaniac charm.

Also, Wraith. Insanely complicated, yet the most intriguing for me. I have read a bit about Orpheus being the "post-Wraith-let's-wrap-up-the-time-of-judgement-on-the-underworld", but never did go far on it... If anyone could answer, what the hell was the Grandmother anyway?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Your impression is kind of skewed. You talk of overcomplicated nonsense being White Wolf's entire MO, but it really isn't. The game lines vary wildly in complexity.

Exalted? Oh god yes Exalted is a mess. Vampire? Changeling? Demon? Werewolf? Not so much!

Mage and Exalted are really the kings of byzantine, over complicated nonsense and they're two of the most frequently talked about.

How Vampire is not a mess? It's the system that had Kuei-Jin and alien invaders inhabiting Tzmisce clan.

quote:

Also, Wraith. Insanely complicated, yet the most intriguing for me. I have read a bit about Orpheus being the "post-Wraith-let's-wrap-up-the-time-of-judgement-on-the-underworld", but never did go far on it... If anyone could answer, what the hell was the Grandmother anyway?

A powerful being that spawned the Neverborn - Spectral gods. Her name comes from "Grand Maw", which can sound like "Grandma".

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 19, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

How Vampire is not a mess? It's the system that had Kuei-Jin and alien invaders inhabiting Tzmisce clan.

Obscure optional splatbooks do not make the core system/setting a mess.

Mage and Exalted have overcomplicated nonsense as part of their core credo. Their raison d'être. That's the difference.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Obscure optional splatbooks do not make the core system/setting a mess.

Mage and Exalted have overcomplicated nonsense as part of their core credo. Their raison d'être. That's the difference.

Actually, the main problem with Mage was not overcomplication. Both the rules and the setting were quite simple until supplements started to pile up. The main issue was that a large part of the ruleset was incredibly vague. For example, the boundary between coincidental and vulgar magic, which was always pretty fluid (and remained that way in nMage), or the entire Entropy Sphere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

Actually, the main problem with Mage was not overcomplication. Both the rules and the setting were quite simple until supplements started to pile up. The main issue was that a large part of the ruleset was incredibly vague. For example, the boundary between coincidental and vulgar magic, which was always pretty fluid (and remained that way in nMage), or the entire Entropy Sphere.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and has a very broad/vague license to bend reality however the gently caress it pleases like a duck...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Transmetropolitan posted:

So, let me use the opportunity of the whole lorechat to ask: what was the deal with time of judgement, after all? Did the writers thought "gently caress this we got ourselves in a huge mess let's do it again?" I don't know anything about nWoD to see if it has been improved or not, but I liked oWoD for its ridiculous megalomaniac charm.

They more or less wrote themselves into a corner, or rather under towering masses of metaplot. They were also keenly aware of the current systems' failings (esp.regarding combat) so they were working on a whole new edition/release. However, never being ones to pass up marketing cash-ins they decided to pull the trigger on all the end-of-the-world scenarios that were built up over the previous half-decade. So they get one last cash infusion from oWoD, wrap up a bunch of dangling plotlines, and get to release a brand new line of games and sourcebooks, all within a year or two. A fresh slate onto which to sell splatbook after splatbook.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

OAquinas posted:

They more or less wrote themselves into a corner, or rather under towering masses of metaplot.

I was just thinking that. They drummed up the end times for so long they either had to finally pull the trigger or turn into a self-parody of constantly escalating portents that never pay off. And good for them - last I checked Warhammer 40k had frozen the calendar at 999.M41 (999th year, 41st millennium) because they had played up the end of the millennium as a Big Deal but apparently didn't know how to drop the hammer without killing some of their cash cows or fizzling out anticlimactically. Check the timeline fan wiki (M41, M42) and M41 goes all the way up to 999.999.M41 (last eight hours of the last day of the 41st millennium), and M42 only has entries from a couple of authors that write 40k novels that apparently decided to buck the system. It's a perfect example of what could have happened to oWoD.

Much as I miss oWoD, it's demise was baked into the setting from the start and kudos to WW for following through on it instead of chickening out.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tehan posted:

Much as I miss oWoD, it's demise was baked into the setting from the start and kudos to WW for following through on it instead of chickening out.

Plus it was flat out unsustainable per lore reasons, right? Things like generation limit for vamps, decreasing number of Garou and such seemed to indicate that if things went for too long a WH40K-like stagnation would be the only way to keep it going. Like a zombie.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

We last left off on our quest to find Arthur Kilpatrick's missing bounty hunter, Carson. We visited Carson's apartment and found that he had disappeared while trying to locate a bail-jumper who we know as 'McGee'. We found out that Carson somehow traced him to an abandoned tattoo parlor. We went there, but found no trace of either of them. However, someone at 'Gimble's Prosthetics' called what looked to be a pay phone in the basement of the parlor, and asked for McGee. We agreed to meet him at his office in 'Gimble's Prosthetics' to ask him some questions.

That's where we're headed now. He said it was on the end of main street. There are only two streets in Santa Monica, this being main street.

There are prostitutes in Bloodlines, but if you pay them, all you're given is an opportunity to suck on their neck. There's a cop hanging around with the homeless around that barrel.

Gimble's place is to the right, and down those stairs.

Down the steps, descending into the unknown...

Hello... I spoke with you on the phone a little while ago.

Oh, right, I'll buzz you in.

Thanks.

He was almost giddy on the phone, when faced with the prospect of getting us down here to ask questions. Nothing odd about that, right?

Yes I am. Who are you?

Oh, yes. Forgive me. My name is Gimble, Stanley Gimble. But, oh... dear, let us dispense with formalities - you can call me Stan.

Tell me a little about yourself, Stan.

[Listen] Me? Oh, I'm just trying to make things a little easier for those who find themselves, erm, disadvantaged. Giving a helping hand, you might say - a leg up. Haha... Uh, eh... bloody clever, that one.

I have been advised to include some of Gimble's spoken lines so you can hear how eccentric his voice is. Simply click on the [Listen] link to hear it.

You seem, uh, "disadvantaged" yourself.

This conversation triggered as soon as we entered the building. You can catch a glimpse of Stan's body for an instant, but you'll most likely be clueless as to what this dialogue option refers to. I wish it was Stan's terrible sense of humor.

Hmmm? Oh, ah, you mean the arm? Yes, oh ho, that's an interesting story, if you've got the time for one.

I'd love to hear it, Stan.

[Listen] Well, you might say I have a certain love affair with the human anatomy - an obsession, really. Prosthetics seemed a natural occupation in which to, ah, focus my enthusiasm, as it were.

Nothing odd about this guy at all.

That's, uh, really, really weird. Now, about McGee...

Hmmm? Oh oh, right right, Mr. McGee. Well, as I told you, he was supposed to show up a few days ago for a photography session. Reference for my work, that kind of thing.

But he didn't show up?

No, he didn't. Earlier, I had asked him to take a few pictures of himself for my... perusal - a sort of resume, you might say - and that was the last I'd heard of him.

So that ends that story. But we could get more if we ask about Carson.

I see. Does the name Carson ring a bell?

Carson? No. I don't think so, anyway. Oh oh, look... I know I've got some information on Mr. McGee back in my files. Do you want me to try and dig it up?

Yeah. That sounds great. I'd appreciate it.

The writers, thinking that the player might not have gotten the hint that this guy has a screw loose, interjects this line of dialogue that the player cannot miss, ensuring that they get the hint.

He walks back and shuts the door behind him. We can wait around the lobby all we want, but to get anywhere we've got to follow him.

And yeah, this place is really weird.

There's a fridge with one blood pack in here.

Along with a video camera. Why would Gimble need this?

Doors that looks like jail cells...

And tortue tools. Maybe he was filming himself doing... whatever it is he does.

Okay! I get it! He's nuts! These modeling appointments clearly haven't gone as planned.

Eventually we come to this set of double doors. What could lie behind them?

As soon as we enter the room, someone calls out to us:

Who, Gimble?

If we were playing Fallout 3, this line would have been prefaced with [Intelligence].

"Who? Gimble?" Yeah, Gimble! That guy's been takin' pieces off o' me and McGee over here for the last three days! He's crazy, man! Freakin' crazy!

This must be Carson. We've fallen into the same trap that he must have. Maybe McGee went to Gimble because he needed some money in a pinch and agreed to a modelling job, that lead Carson here, which has, in turn, lead us here.

Okay. Now how do I open this door?

As soon as the words come out of our mouth, Gimble kicks down the door!

Watch Boss Fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImheVTrCXiI

Gimble is a boss very early in the game. Accordingly, he's not very difficult. The first boss in Redemption was named Mercurio, and it was probably the hardest fight in the entire game. Bloodlines gets it right. I used fortitude to mitigate any incoming damage, but Gimble doesn't deal very much regardless.

Just close in and stab him a few times. That'll teach him.

With that done, we'll free Carson.

You're Carson I take it?

Yeah... yeah, that's me. How did you know?

The Malkavian version of those two lines is as follows:

quote:

PC: Heeeerrrre's Johnny!
Carson: Ha ha ha... that's funny. Cut it with the Carson jokes, will ya? In case you didn't notice, this ain't exactly the Tonight Show down here.

Arthur Kilpatrick sent me.

He did? Oh, man, that's solid! I owe that guy big. I hope I can figure out a way to get him back for this.

He's got some work for you, so you should head back to the office.

Arthur won't be pleased, but this could present us with an opportunity to get more work.

You hear that dog barking? I think it's Old Yeller. I'm outta here.

Thanks, again. Don't worry, I'll take care of old stumpy here.

Carson leaves and takes Gimble's body with him, to do... things.

But he leaves behind that severed arm that Gimble was using as a weapon.

Ugh... It probably belonged to McGee, over here. Let's just leave.

Arthur won't be happy, but at least we get paid.

I found Carson. Unfortunately, he's not coming back.

What? Ain't comin' back? What do you mean he ain't comin' back?

His trigger finger got cut off by a psychopath.

Man, that's a though one. Bounty hunter ain't no good without his trigger finger.

Well, hell. That really leaves me in hot water, boy. Gonna cost old Arthur real good.

What's the problem?

I got this guy with a sheet a mile long, put in on three warrants. His girlfriend put up for the bond and now he missed a court date. I can't get in touch with either of 'em. Want a job?

Just like we predicted. It also helps that this is an RPG and people are just waiting to give you jobs to do.

You haven't paid me for finding Carson yet.

Oh, uh, yeah... yeah yeah. Sorry about that, uh. Here you are.

Thanks. About that job...

A lingering question here is if we have to bring him somewhere if we find him.

So you just want me to find out if he's here or not?

Yeah, no body attachment or nothing, just find out if he's here or where he went. I'll pay you. Deal?

I suppose I could do that.

Remember, that's where we live.

What's this guy's record like?

Well, he was brought up on manslaughter charges years back but he got acquitted. Since then he's been in and out for this and that, small time stuff mostly.

What did he do this time?

Most recently he was brought in as part of a big case on stolen auto parts. It's this big chop shop thing that's goin' on in Santa Monica. Been in the paper.

Probably on page 2 since we only ever bother to read the cover.

Okay. So, above the pawnshop, right?

That's right, Marian Murietta. In them crappy places above the pawnshop. Find out where the hell Muddy is, where's he going, whatever. But be careful. You're not licensed and if anything bad goes down, I don't know ya, ya hear me?

Yep. I'm gonna take off, Arthur.

We'll do that later, as we have something more pressing to do first. To recap: after we got the astrolite, Mercurio informed us that we need the help of a nosferatu named Bertrang Tung in order to get to the Sabbat warehouse we're supposed to blow up. The problem is that Tung is in hiding because of a feud he's having with Therese Voerman, a "power player" here in Santa Monica. We need to get that feud called off, and Therese can be found at The Asylum, a dance club on second street.

This song plays throughout main room of the club.

Walking forward, we're approached by somebody:

[Seduction] Frightening isn't the word I'd use... exciting is more like it.

I can tell you and I are going to get along like fire hoses.

Fire hoses?

When we get turned on, there's bound to be flames.

This is the vampire on the cover of the game, and she's just as scantily-clad there as she is here. It's obvious why Troika added her to the game. But we don't actually know who she is.

Who are you?

I'm the finger down your spine when all the lights are out. I'm the name on all the men's room walls. When I pout, the whole world tries to make me smile. And everyone always wants to know, who... is... that girl?

Yes yes, you're very mysterious.

Do you have a name?

Jeanette - we heard about her from Mercurio. She's Therese's sister. She might be of use to end this feud. That's why I'm being nice to her and why I utilized that seduction check.

Okay. Goodbye.

Jeanette walks away...

and into the elevator. The door shuts behind her.

The first thing to happen in the next update is we'll explore this club a little more.

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 17, 2014

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011
Gimble's a cool dude, I like his cheery creepiness.

One thing that's always puzzled me though is, why did he call the tattoo parlor?

Also you mixed up Gimble and Mercurio when you describe the fight, and also Carson and Kilpatrick when you return to the latter.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
So... Is it too early to start the "Should we have sex with Jeanette?" vote?

Also I would recommend adding 1 or 2 audio lines just so people who haven't played the game get a sense of how eccentric Gimbles voice is.

RC Bandit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 20, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

MajesticMonkey posted:

Gimble's a cool dude, I like his cheery creepiness.

One thing that's always puzzled me though is, why did he call the tattoo parlor?

Also you mixed up Gimble and Mercurio when you describe the fight, and also Carson and Kilpatrick when you return to the latter.

Whoops, fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

As for why Gimble called the parlor... tough to say. He could have wanted another person to cut to pieces, but that doesn't explain how he knew to call the parlor. We don't have enough information to be certain. Honestly, it's one of those times where I just shrug and chalk it up to it being a video game - meaning the story is going to have little weaknesses like that in order for quests to advance.

gatz fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 20, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Romeo Charlie posted:

Also I would recommend adding 1 or 2 audio lines just so people who haven't played the game get a sense of how eccentric Gimbles voice is.

Good idea. Added links to two of his spoken lines.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So let's do a count: how many people used the severed arm weapon when you had far more useful melee weapons to deal with an enemy? There's something about that flopping arm that's really funny to me. (I might be a fishmalk by nature though)

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Does the plus patch fix Jeanette's walking animation? When I played her skirt had a seizure with every step.

double nine posted:

So let's do a count: how many people used the severed arm weapon when you had far more useful melee weapons to deal with an enemy? There's something about that flopping arm that's really funny to me. (I might be a fishmalk by nature though)

All the best games let you use a severed/detached arm as a weapon :colbert:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Lost Generation posted:

Does the plus patch fix Jeanette's walking animation? When I played her skirt had a seizure with every step.

Not entirely, but it's not every step at least.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gatz posted:

This is the vampire on the cover of the game, and she's just as scantily-clad there as she is here. It's obvious why Troika added her to the game. But we don't actually know who she is.

Speaking of why she was added to the game, here are the related videos on your "Stan Boss Fight" video:

I'll be honest, the reptile part of my brain makes it very hard not to click on those thumbnails.

edit: Also, not having played this game before, my first though was "why are there all these Harley Quinn thumbnails?" The characters really do look pretty much identical.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 20, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah :/ I got this game the month it was released as a 15 year old virgin. Think about that.

/shudder

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Gatz, did you do something different this update? The only pictures I'm seeing are the conversation headshots.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

You neglected to mention that there's a cheery tune playing when you first enter Gimble's shop, and the moment you open the back door there's an audible record scratch and then it's just the ambient noises.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CzarChasm posted:

Gatz, did you do something different this update? The only pictures I'm seeing are the conversation headshots.

The headshots are posted on lpix, the main images are on Minus. Might be minus isn't loading for you?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

double nine posted:

Lost Generation posted:

All the best games let you use a severed/detached arm as a weapon :colbert:

Not only did I do that in this game, I did it whenever I had a chance in Rune multiplayer; the moment someone hacks off my arm, I throw my current weapon at them and immediately seek revenge with my own severed arm.

Rune was great for that. :black101:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I've played a lot of games with good voice acting but I think bloodlines is the most memorable by far. Even nearly a decade later I can still remember how most of these lines sound.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tehan posted:

Pretty sure I read an interview with one of the designers after the fact that they also think secret creatures held up to then up and coming social media and uploaded video. I don't know how they got around that with nWoD if they bothered to address it at all. I haven't touched itwith a twenty foot pole... or severed arm. Hard to believe it's been out for almost ten years now, although it says something that the new CCP MMO is based on oWoD.

Romeo Charlie posted:

So... Is it too early to start the "Should we have sex with Jeanette?" vote?

Obviously. :parrot:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Psion posted:

The headshots are posted on lpix, the main images are on Minus. Might be minus isn't loading for you?

I did the same thing for part 3 and part 5. Check those parts and see if they're not loading for you, CzarChasm.

citybeatnik posted:

You neglected to mention that there's a cheery tune playing when you first enter Gimble's shop, and the moment you open the back door there's an audible record scratch and then it's just the ambient noises.

There's cheery piano music that plays in the lobby, which I can't find in the game's folders, but there's no record scratch that I heard. :shrug:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The cover actually put me off buying this game for a long time until I actually heard people saying how good it was. I just assumed it was some creepy teenage boy fantasy game. Which I suppose it still is...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pretty sure I read an interview with one of the designers after the fact that they also think secret creatures held up to then up and coming social media and uploaded video. I don't know how they got around that with nWoD if they bothered to address it at all.

nHunter deals with this quite a bit. One Hunter Compact is called Network Zero, and it's basically comprised of folks using increasingly sophisticated media and surveillance to get the truth out there onto the internet. They're easy to dismiss as crackpots and conspiracy theorists, sure, but those in the know realize that some of what Network Zero is seeing genuinely can't be explained away, if you care to look closely enough. One splat identified Network Zero as a Compact on the verge of evolving into a fully-fledged Conspiracy, in which case their Endowment would be NSA-grade recording equipment of all kinds potent enough to pierce supernatural defenses against being seen and recorded.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pretty sure I read an interview with one of the designers after the fact that they also think secret creatures held up to then up and coming social media and uploaded video. I don't know how they got around that with nWoD if they bothered to address it at all. I haven't touched itwith a twenty foot pole... or severed arm. Hard to believe it's been out for almost ten years now, although it says something that the new CCP MMO is based on oWoD.

The way nWoD deals with this is pretty heavy-handed. Vampires don't show up on pictures and cameras heavily blurred, so it's impossible to make a YouTube video that wouldn't be immediately dismissed as a fake. As for mages, every instance of vulgar magic when Sleepers are watching involves Disbelief, which has a good chance to immediately dispel the effect. Even it doesn't immediately solve the problem, most mortal minds are unable to process magic at all. They either forget the unnatural event, or just think up some rational explanation and stick to it. A security guard, who saw two mages throwing fireballs at themselves, will later claim that they were throwing around incendiary grenades and will do everything in his power to hold to this version. A YouTube video of this event would most probably cause the same effect - even though even gangbangers armed with incendiary grenades could normally guarantee a fuckload of viewers, most of them will feel too uncomfortable to dwell about it long enough to pass the video around.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, and nDemons have Cover, which just makes the Demon look completely normal unless you have some serious juice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And then you have Network Zero, Hunters who specialize in having that juice and getting around all the tricks Gantolandon mentioned.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Cythereal posted:

And then you have Network Zero, Hunters who specialize in having that juice and getting around all the tricks Gantolandon mentioned.

Yeah, but a Demon in strong Cover is almost never going to fail the roll, which doesn't seem to be resisted. You actually need to catch them breaking Cover to see them pretty much.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Ah, Jeanette, I can still hear her dialogue in my head. The voice-acting throughout the game is phenomenal but the Voerman sisters especially are fantastic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Feinne posted:

Yeah, but a Demon in strong Cover is almost never going to fail the roll, which doesn't seem to be resisted. You actually need to catch them breaking Cover to see them pretty much.

Its more because the demon actually is the person they have constructed, they just happen to be hiding it reasonably well. I also like the idea of a demon crafting their cover from really bad bits of other peoples personalities, bits they don't want, to make themselves invisible to the God Machine.

I must admit I would be fascinated to see something like nDemon being used as a game, if only because of the requirements of cover and the ability to "go loud".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 22, 2013

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

double nine posted:

Whole rest of the game.

It was just a pity that no one had any reactions to it.

That didn't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Prop Wash posted:

I've played a lot of games with good voice acting but I think bloodlines is the most memorable by far. Even nearly a decade later I can still remember how most of these lines sound.

Tehan posted:

Ah, Jeanette, I can still hear her dialogue in my head. The voice-acting throughout the game is phenomenal but the Voerman sisters especially are fantastic.

Yeah, the voice acting is pretty well done. Bloodlines has this weird thing where the voices are doubled - I mean, say if you have headphones on, the voice acting sounds like it's coming from both the left and the right channels equally instead of sitting somewhere in the middle. It sounds like there's two sources of the voice coming from both the left and the right. It's a really weird thing I've never heard in any other game.

gatz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 22, 2013

• Locked thread