Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

All kidding aside, and there have been some funny posts about this Duck dude, but gently caress if this story isn't depressing to watch unfold.

I really, really think that right wing media is winning the messaging battle and controlling the narrative more and more every day. I mean, we joke and kid about it here, but even what little conversation I was able to overhear while dining out alone tonight eventually led me to get up and leave. Anecdotal for sure but gently caress if it didn't ruin my appetite.

I shudder to think what news is going to be like by the time my son is old enough to watch or listen to it.

It might seem bad but white conservative bigots are dwindling in numbers. They've realized they're losing the demographic wars and they're making a lot of noise, death throes and all that. Don't get too down about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

All kidding aside, and there have been some funny posts about this Duck dude, but gently caress if this story isn't depressing to watch unfold.

I really, really think that right wing media is winning the messaging battle and controlling the narrative more and more every day.

Well if Mr. Fake Redneck Millionaire was talking about the supremacy of neoliberal austerity then sure, but hatin' on the queers isn't a winning play outside publicity stunts to renegotiate higher paying contracts and dipshit cable network for dipshits and moving some merch.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Holy poo poo, I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything in politics worthless meaningless TV-hack white noise punditry this entire year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTVRABIPts

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I know the chickenhawking isn't new, but that is pretty loving hilarious.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
With a pen!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

These are the same people who stuck it to liberals by standing in line for a mediocre chicken sandwich that one day last year, and who tried to bring the government to its knees by holding up handmade signs from their lawn chairs.

Oh man. I wish I had some quotes handy - but there were sooooo many people on just random comments sections on everything insisting that the chick fil a bullshit was a 'preview of the polls in november.' :allears:

Also lots of articles and political cartoons as well, because none of these parroty people have an original thought betwixt them.

Edit: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/opinion/stanley-chick-fil-a/

quote:

One photo caption read, "Hey liberals, the turnout for Chick-fil-A appreciation day is a preview of the polling stations in November."

Yes that Romney landslide victory sure did a number on us, you chicken-stuffing homophobic piece of poo poo.

Edit 2: COMMENTS SECTION! :dance:

quote:

Jack Levitt • a year ago −
Real Americans are literally chomping at the bit for a chance to send President Obama back to his community agitating duties in Chicago.

Chick-fil-a simply served as a proxy for the voting booth on Wednesday.

:allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also a preview of the local dialysis clinic.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

In the same vein as the 'gay-bashing fake redneck yuppie is the next Rosa Parks', that old CNN comments section is full of right wingers trying to claim dems/liberals (and also CNN) are 'the real bigots' or whatever for disliking the lovely behavior of the American right wing.

It's a pathetic passive-aggressive clusterfuck of nitwits and yahoos pretending to be 'persecuted' for being dumb white racist homophobic assholes.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 21, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Somebody needs to start keeping some sort of central record of asinine right wing comments and radio shows. I would pay real world money to be able to go through the years and found every time Rush Limbaugh has said something hosed up 1990 to today all neatly compiled, just to rub it right wingers faces.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 21, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

icantfindaname posted:

Somebody needs to start keeping some sort of central record of asinine right wing comments and radio shows. I would pay real world money to be able to go through the years and found every time Rush Limbaugh has said something hosed up 1990 to today all neatly compiled, just to rub it right wingers faces.

Media Matters does this about as well as anybody.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Spacedad posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything in politics worthless meaningless TV-hack white noise punditry this entire year.

Aside, I'm surprised to see Mankiewicz on YT. I'm glad to see he isn't a political rear end. Makes me a feel little better seeing him on TCM, FWIW. Go Ben!

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Pope Guilty posted:

Media Matters does this about as well as anybody.
In addition to MMfA's copious archives, I wish they kept a specific running list of right wing predictions, such as Ted Nugent's "dead or in jail within a year" comments or any other specific prognostication that failed to come true. It'd be great to have a go-to resource to say to right wingers "here's how wrong <talking head> was before, why would you listen to them now?"

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I love the dittoheads that make comments like this:

"Um, hello?... The 28 Amendment makes it illegal, under our Constitution, for Congress to pass a law that they do not have to abide by... Am I the only one left who has read our Constitution?"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Savage said during the election that, if Obama won a second term, his show would be cancelled as part of some evil government law.

A year later and he seems to be doing okay.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Spacedad posted:

:lol:

Best O'Reilly bit since tides go in tides go out.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

icantfindaname posted:

Right Wing Watch does a really good job at that.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Rorus Raz posted:

Savage said during the election that, if Obama won a second term, his show would be cancelled as part of some evil government law.

A year later and he seems to be doing okay.

Nugent said he would be dead or in jail by April 2013, I don't think either has happened.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

ReindeerF posted:

Someone needs to ask Beard Lord for his thoughts on how black homosexuals were treated under Jim Crow. Also, I think a clothing line called J. Crow might sell really well down there on the Bayou.

Being from Louisiana, I take offense to misuse of on the Bayou. Monroe isn't anywhere NEAR the bayou, that poo poo's basically MS. People that live here have this feeling that everything above the I-10 is a completely different state that has more in common with TX and MS depending on which end of the state you're in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/america-has-said-duck-you-to-ae/

I found this piece of garbage

quote:

That has to make tyrants and control freaks like Obama, Hollywood, and the leftist thought police scared to death.

In other words, the tables have turned and middle America is waking up from the shock, disarray, intimidation and distractions of the Obama years. It’s amazing to even say it out loud, but middle America, conservatives, and…gulp…Christians are coming out of the closet.

A duck hunter has inspired us.

What they are saying out loud is, “We have rights too. We deserve free speech too. We’ve had enough of your oppression and intolerance towards our values and beliefs- and we’re NOT going to take it anymore.”

Ronald Reagan was also open-minded towards gays, as a result of a lifetime spent in Hollywood in the acting business. I’ve always been pro-gay rights. I believe what people do in their private bedrooms is none of government’s business.

The Duck Dynasty scandal is about intolerance. But the intolerance is on part of Hollywood and A&E. The star of a reality show is allowed to have opinions. If you don’t like them, you have no right to ban them. That’s tyrant’s behavior. That’s McCarthyism. That’s the attitude of police states we find in countries run by tyrants like Stalin, or Fidel Castro, or Huge Chavez, or the old East Germany. Is this what America has become under Obama?

Why? Because Obama, Hollywood and the leftists are petrified of free thought. They keep their modern day Tammany Hall going through intimidation. They cannot afford to allow conservative or Christian values to be affirmed by a pop culture celebrity- for fear it might start a trend. It might stir up the masses. It might encourage conservatives to speak out. It might embolden Christians to quote the Bible without fear. Hollywood cannot allow that. Americans might actually be inspired to fight back. Someone might escape the thought-police plantation.

A duck hunter may have just lit the spark that started a revolution. Phil Robertson just went from TV phenomenon to American hero. Americans are now unchained. We are free to speak our minds. Here’s what we have to say to control freak tyrants like Obama the Hollywood elite thought police.

DUCK YOU!

My head hurts.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

ZobarStyl posted:

In addition to MMfA's copious archives, I wish they kept a specific running list of right wing predictions, such as Ted Nugent's "dead or in jail within a year" comments or any other specific prognostication that failed to come true. It'd be great to have a go-to resource to say to right wingers "here's how wrong <talking head> was before, why would you listen to them now?"

Any time a prediction is wrong in favor of conservatives, it's because heroic and patriotic defenders of liberty scared the government off of its evil plans (see: why guns weren't banned last year).
Any time a prediction is wrong in favor of their opponents, it's because of a subversion of the electoral or government process (see: president Romney).
Any time an offensively discrediting statement is made, it's because the speaker is being taken out of context (see: any racist thing ever).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

I am surprised with the right wing in the states being so good at message control there is still this type of bullshit. You could actually make a well reasoned arguement against this and it could sway some potential on the fencers but adding the kindergarten namby pamby bullshit like DUCK YOU at the end just completely negates any point you are trying to make what so ever.

But I guess 99.999% of these articles are just "shoring up the base" and aren't meant to sway.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Whiteycar posted:

I am surprised with the right wing in the states being so good at message control there is still this type of bullshit. You could actually make a well reasoned arguement against this and it could sway some potential on the fencers but adding the kindergarten namby pamby bullshit like DUCK YOU at the end just completely negates any point you are trying to make what so ever.

But I guess 99.999% of these articles are just "shoring up the base" and aren't meant to sway.

Right wingers are doing pretty well all around the world right now no matter how dumb their ideas are. When times are tough, people love to hurt other people.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mints posted:

Being from Louisiana, I take offense to misuse of on the Bayou. Monroe isn't anywhere NEAR the bayou, that poo poo's basically MS. People that live here have this feeling that everything above the I-10 is a completely different state that has more in common with TX and MS depending on which end of the state you're in.

That's kind of funny because most Texans consider anything ~East of I-45 to be Western Louisiana.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
As a member of the Leftist Thought Police (LTP), I would just like to say

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mints posted:

I plead ignorance, I've only seen the show once and didn't look it up. I'll allow this - I've spent a little time in Eunice and Cheneyville and Pa-ta-sa and nothing about this episode seemed at all odd to me, heh. I received directions from strangers that included "Niggertown" and everyone referred to the local sherriff as "high yella" kind of openly. It was all comically anachronistic (helps that I'm white). I suppose that's really not on the bayou, though, is it? You need to be in the delta or around the Atchafalaya?

ReidRansom posted:

That's kind of funny because most Texans consider anything ~East of I-45 to be Western Louisiana.
Haha, yeah. East Texas is a Hell of a lot more like Louisiana than any part of Louisiana is like the rest of Texas. That's for sure. East Texas is our little filter that catches all the Deep South before it seeps in. The downside is that they stay.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 22, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

mints posted:

Nope.

The line is at Hammond. Anything North is somewhat sane. South? Well you can get you a Nutria burger if you want it.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

mints posted:

Monroe isn't anywhere NEAR the bayou, that poo poo's basically MS.

ReidRansom posted:

ReindeerF posted:

East Texas is a Hell of a lot more like Louisiana than any part of Louisiana is like the rest of Texas. That's for sure.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The line is at Hammond. Anything North is somewhat sane. South? Well you can get you a Nutria burger if you want it.
Everybody, how about not quibbling about northern Louisiana or eastern Texas or whatever as really being part of some other state based on some specious geographic/demographic grounds? It's just as dumb as the stereotype of southerners all being secessionist dickbags who are a hair's-breadth away from bringing back slavery and lynching, heh. Y'all know better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Everybody, how about not quibbling about northern Louisiana or eastern Texas or whatever as really being part of some other state based on some specious geographic/demographic grounds? It's just as dumb as the stereotype of southerners all being secessionist dickbags who are a hair's-breadth away from bringing back slavery and lynching, heh. Y'all know better.

It's dumb, but not false. For example, eastern Washington has a lot more in common with Idaho and Montana but all of the policy is written with the Puget Sound in mind.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nope.

Now I want to try a nutria burger. What's it like?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Absolutely horrible.

And true bayou country has bayous in them so it's the southern part of the state.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's dumb, but not false. For example, eastern Washington has a lot more in common with Idaho and Montana but all of the policy is written with the Puget Sound in mind.

And they're drat lucky we let them tag along in exchange for wine. :colbert:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Chantilly Say posted:

Now I want to try a nutria burger. What's it like?

Tastes like mud and algae and chicken fat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Who let this coonass get in the way of my regional rivalry?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Saw a book in the local bookstore today called something along the lines of Democrats: Party of War, complete with flames jpeg image front cover with massive artifacts from resolution changes. Literally an entire book of "Democrats are the real racist, slave-owning, power hungry, murdering warmongers" bullshit that gets copy pasted here for laughs. I'll have to go back and try and remember the name to find it online. This was all in Massachusetts, by the way, not the middle of the bayou.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

joeburz posted:

Saw a book in the local bookstore today called something along the lines of Democrats: Party of War, complete with flames jpeg image front cover with massive artifacts from resolution changes. Literally an entire book of "Democrats are the real racist, slave-owning, power hungry, murdering warmongers" bullshit that gets copy pasted here for laughs. I'll have to go back and try and remember the name to find it online. This was all in Massachusetts, by the way, not the middle of the bayou.

"Democrats started Vietnam but Nixon ended it, the GOP is the real party of peace" was a big Ann Coulter-type talking point around the 2004 election.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well the Democrats were the party of war at the time, because southern conservatives were bloodthirsty warmongers who loved shooting them some commie civilians. Southern Democrats start wars, Republicans profit from them, and northeastern Liberals, both Republican and Democrat, protest ineffectively and get beaten by police. Same thing as the BUT BUT BUT THE DEMOCRATS VOTED AGAINST THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACT AND THE REPUBLICANS VOTED FOR IT!!!!!!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

We look down upon them because they don't have an NFL team to call their own.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Spacedad posted:

Enjoy this one:

http://www.debate.org/debates/Bill-OReilly-Is-Not-A-Combat-Veteran/1/

"You've never come close to anything I've done, down where I've been."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which PJ Media (which started out as Pajamas Media by the way), calls Pajamas Boy anti-semitic because, well no reason really, but he's definitely hating on some jews with that cocoa.

But it's OK because while jews are the most persecuted people on Earth, they are also not the most persecuted people on Earth because that's Christians. Also, your genitals are going to fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

In which PJ Media (which started out as Pajamas Media by the way), calls Pajamas Boy anti-semitic because, well no reason really, but he's definitely hating on some jews with that cocoa.

But it's OK because while jews are the most persecuted people on Earth, they are also not the most persecuted people on Earth because that's Christians. Also, your genitals are going to fall off.

You forgot butt plugs, which are the liberal version of bigotry.