Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

He's on neither the dark nor the far side, though given the positioning of the sun it looks like he just emerged from a lunar eclipse. So there was no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it was all dark.

There's a caption box on the panel saying "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON". I guess maybe he's chilling out listening to some Pink Floyd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
At some point I think DC just decided they'd have a continuity reboot once a decade anyway, so there was no real reason for any given continuity reboot to fix continuity problems like the Crisis on Infinite Earths was supposed to. Heck, it's better for them to leave more problems in, it gives them a better excuse for the next continuity reboot.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a caption box on the panel saying "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON". I guess maybe he's chilling out listening to some Pink Floyd?

That makes his conversation with Bruce even more bro-worthy, and it was pretty far up there already.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

He's obviously right on the edge of the dark side of the moon. You can see the light side of the moon right next to him. Bruce is in the Watchtower so he just barely has line of sight to Superman. This makes perfect sense.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I hope Supes watches out for Megatron while he's up there!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/08/phil-jimenezs-jlatransformers-crossover-pitch-was-undeniably-epic/

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, so superman's sunlight-based power includes regenerating his clothes now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple (they are, right?) really bugs me far more than it should. :sigh:

Source is Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #1

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ignite Memories posted:

The latest reboot made his costume into super-science Kryptonian battle armor that self repairs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

Remember when pre-crisis Superman would rear end-pull any stupid power he needed?

I don't have sources for these.

Super-ventriloquism.

Super-Mathematics.

Telepathy/ Mind Control.

Shapeshifting.

So, apparently Superman also has the Martian Manhunter's range of powers, too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Damned if I can't find it right now, but you missed 'Super Basket Weaving'

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Say Nothing posted:

Remember when pre-crisis Superman would rear end-pull any stupid power he needed?

I don't have sources for these.

Super-ventriloquism.

Super-Mathematics.

Telepathy/ Mind Control.

Shapeshifting.

So, apparently Superman also has the Martian Manhunter's range of powers, too.

I don't recall which movie it was where the great wall of China got busted and Superman needed to get to fixing it so he used his fixing the great wall of China ray on the great wall of China to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwHe0NqVvY

It may have been the same movie with the amnesia kiss powers or the one where he could split into two different people then shed his outer layer in order to fix his clothes powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_XjgF43U4U&t=159s

I'm pretty sure that was the movie that revealed his weakness to plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lw79TG7cGs&t=61s

Which only further cements the superman Roy Orbison connection.

http://michaelkelly.artofeurope.com/karl.htm

Which makes a lot of sense since Roy Orbison/Superman toured with the Beatles in 1963.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Also, his super mathematics got him the wrong answer. 20 * 16 * 10 is 3200, not 32000.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Valhawk posted:

Also, his super mathematics got him the wrong answer. 20 * 16 * 10 is 3200, not 32000.

That's regular mathematics! Not super mathematics! :colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sockser posted:

Super weaving!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Super-ventriloquism has shown up in the DCAU too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcJumZtBgM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha! Does anyone suppose Grant Morrison was referencing this when Superman saved the day in Final Crisis?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

Haha! Does anyone suppose Grant Morrison was referencing this when Superman saved the day in Final Crisis?

Other way around, champ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Evidently I am easily tricked.

I've now seen the Green Lantern one and it's much more obvious, but I could easily see that one being an actual Silver Age comic, and I could just as easily Morrison deciding it'd be a great basis for a big crossover storyline.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ignite Memories posted:

Pre-Crisis, the suit was made out of speshul Kryptonian fabric that regenerated and repaired itself under a yellow sun, but since Superman routinely fights in places WITHOUT a yellow sun present (which is why I never understood why he could keep kicking rear end off-world, especially in a place like Apokolips), it's since been amended that the suit (but not the cape) is protected by Superman's 'aura' of invulnerability.

Either explanation works here - either the ~divine sunlight~ allowed him to regenerate and make his suit even more badass, or the sunlight merely regenerated his 'aura' and he *thought* the suit back to normal. The red glow around him seems to suggest the latter.

The book Irredeemable didn't have anything to do with Superman, but it did float a lot of potential theories that are applicable. The main 'superhero' in that one goes 'insane' in the same sense Joker does, sort of - just decides one day to go from being the greatest hero to the biggest villain. Turns out, he's the 'child' of these two benevolent aliens who were assigned to watch Earth, and despite having Superman-level powers, he doesn't understand them. He's more or less 'Q' from TNG-era Star Trek, and never knows it.

Better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable#Characters

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 21, 2013

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sockser posted:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Which makes a lot of sense since Roy Orbison/Superman toured with the Beatles in 1963.

Hey, that can't be Darkseid. He wasn't introduced until after they dropped that trade dress.

Wait a second, this cover is a fake! :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Tarezax posted:

Super-ventriloquism has shown up in the DCAU too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcJumZtBgM

That episode was amazing simply because of Superman fighting Bane while pretending to be Batman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

That episode was amazing simply because of Superman fighting Bane while pretending to be Batman.

And Superman not really knowing when to grapple away after talking to Gordon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

Well, that needs to be posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Did Robin just strappado the Riddler? Brutal.

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...
Forgive me if this is something everyone already knows about, but I thought these covers with Marvel characters as animals were great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wizbang posted:

Forgive me if this is something everyone already knows about, but I thought these covers with Marvel characters as animals were great.

Most of those are actually pretty awesome.

Edit: Oh God, Katie Cook's Thunderbolts. :3:

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 23, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bahahahaaaaa the Guardians of the Galaxy one with a very bored-looking Rocket Human.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Catpool! :3:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

They have become Thundercats!
I also like the X-Men one where even as a cat, Jubilee is still a vampire.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Wizbang posted:

I think whoever drew the Captain Marvel one might have missed the point a bit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Loki one is legit great even under it's own merits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Loki one is legit great even under it's own merits.

Yeah, that one could just be the cover to a normal Loki story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

I think whoever drew the Captain Marvel one might have missed the point a bit.

Yeah that one is just straight furrybait.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's the same artist as the others, there are only two people working those variant covers.

Still really weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that one is just straight furrybait.

No, this is straight furrybait.

This, on the other hand, is straight awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

No, this is straight furrybait.

This, on the other hand, is straight awesome.

That's... the one they were discussing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No matter. I can't pick out which cats are who on the X-Men cover other than Storm, Psylocke, Emma Frost, and Jubilee. The one in the spiked collar and the purple one are bugging me.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

No matter. I can't pick out which cats are who on the X-Men cover other than Storm, Psylocke, Emma Frost, and Jubilee. The one in the spiked collar and the purple one are bugging me.

The one with the collar is Rachel; Psylocke is the purple siamese with the scarf. Jubilee is on the right, Storm in the center, I assume the kitten on the right is Shogo. That leaves the two on the left: Emma (?) and the Omega Sentinel (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think the one with the scar is Storm's future daughter.

• Locked thread