Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There wasn't one that I can think of. There was kind of a twist specific to the episode itself, but not a major one or anything you couldn't see coming from a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone spoil the AoS twist for me? I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

Remember the guy with the CENTIPEDE thingy on his arm in the first episode which gave him super soldier powers but which was unstable and nearly made him explode? SHIELD had spirited him away to a training camp but when the CENTIPEDE people saw him and Coulson out on a mission they kidnapped his son and demanded a hostage swap, and instead of taking the stabilized super soldier dude they grabbed Coulson.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone spoil the AoS twist for me? I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

The bad guys kidnapped Coulson and want to know how he came back from the dead.

Episode then ended.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The twist is that the show is never getting good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToastyPotato posted:

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.
According to someone who works at CN, the relationship between all the Time Warner subsidiaries is basically like the Microsoft Org Chart:

That would explain all the "can't use DC movie characters in the DC tv shows" - they weren't from execs thinking of the brand and not confusing people with multiple versions, they were from inter-agency turf wars and naturally the movie studios always won out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Cardboard Box A posted:

According to someone who works at CN, the relationship between all the Time Warner subsidiaries is basically like the Microsoft Org Chart:

That would explain all the "can't use DC movie characters in the DC tv shows" - they weren't from execs thinking of the brand and not confusing people with multiple versions, they were from inter-agency turf wars and naturally the movie studios always won out.
That makes sense. A place doesn't get as dysfunctional as DC is on its own, it tends to reflect troubled parents. As above, so below.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Cardboard Box A posted:

That's even worse than some idiot execs being incompetent. Isn't Warner publicly traded? Do the shareholders really have no problem seeing all this potential for profit being pissed away due to a lack of organization?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ToastyPotato posted:

That's even worse than some idiot execs being incompetent. Isn't Warner publicly traded? Do the shareholders really have no problem seeing all this potential for profit being pissed away due to a lack of organization?

It's not lack of organization it is self-competition and competition is always good even when it becomes in everyone's self-interest to sabotage the company's other projects. Allow me to present this oddly un-scaled chart about how much worse we would be doing without self-competition.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My favorite story about Time-Warner management

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

The twist is that the show is never getting good.

A lovely twist, hth.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

It's not lack of organization it is self-competition and competition is always good even when it becomes in everyone's self-interest to sabotage the company's other projects. Allow me to present this oddly un-scaled chart about how much worse we would be doing without self-competition.

:ughh:

This isn't funny anymore. :(

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm thinking of starting on Arrow, but from what I've read here and other parts of the web, the first season is just bad. Can someone please spoil for me the important parts of season 1 for me or is there a season recap so I can start with season 2?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vincent posted:

I'm thinking of starting on Arrow, but from what I've read here and other parts of the web, the first season is just bad. Can someone please spoil for me the important parts of season 1 for me or is there a season recap so I can start with season 2?

Nah, the first season is good, it just has some rough spots. Mostly in that they're not sure what to do with a couple of characters but the stuff with Oliver is straight up good all the way through.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vincent posted:

Season 1 is pretty good. It just starts a little slow and there is one bad arc and thats Huntress.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent posted:

There's a one-hour recap called Arrow: Year One if you'd rather just skip to Season 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vincent posted:

Wherever you read that was wrong. Watch the first season.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Urdnot Fire posted:

There's a one-hour recap called Arrow: Year One if you'd rather just skip to Season 2.

Thank you for this. I may finally get to start enjoying this show now. I've been trudging through the last few episodes of season 1 for almost a year now. I really, really can't get into it, but the spoilers I keep hearing about season 2 make me sad that I can't get there.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Urdnot Fire posted:

I really wouldn't suggest skipping Season 1 for people looking to get into the show. The good episodes well outnumber the handful of weaker episodes and you'd be missing so much from the season 1 finale that sets the tone of the show and how it's not going to pull punches.

Also it helps to see how season 2 is redoing similar plotlines so much better.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Most of the bad episodes still serve to further either the long plot or character development so you still get something out of them. Even The Huntress arc teaches Ollie a lesson and unlike most shows the lesson actually sticks.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 21, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, you can skip the first season just fine. Yes, it's pretty good but if your interest lies with the second season, you are not going to miss much.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

e X posted:

Eh, you can skip the first season just fine. Yes, it's pretty good but if your interest lies with the second season, you are not going to miss much.

This is awful advice. A lot of things in the second season are payoffs to things in the first. And while the pace has accelerated, even the worst parts of season 1 are over pretty quickly.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Well, I just watched that season 1 recap video, and I feel comfortable jumping into season 2. I desperately want to get into this show, but the middle of season 1 was just unbearable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well, I just watched that season 1 recap video, and I feel comfortable jumping into season 2. I desperately want to get into this show, but the middle of season 1 was just unbearable.

The 3 part finale to season 1 was awesome, if you've come this far, you should stick it out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gaz-L posted:

The 3 part finale to season 1 was awesome, if you've come this far, you should stick it out.

Or just watch those three episodes and move on to S2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Or just watch those three episodes and move on to S2.

If I had to suffer Jessica de Gouw struggling to maintain her accent to the point that she forgets to emote, then so does he!

:colbert:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is awful advice. A lot of things in the second season are payoffs to things in the first. And while the pace has accelerated, even the worst parts of season 1 are over pretty quickly.

Bullshit, if a guy says that he doesn't much like season 1 and feels that he got the important stuff from the recap, there is no reason to say he has to watch it. That is bad advice, because you basically say he has to watch something he clearly doesn't enjoy. You can the second season just fine without knowing the ins and outs of the first.

Nobody says you shouldn't watch the first season, or that the first season isn't good, but it is definitely possible to just start with the second season.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

Bullshit, if a guy says that he doesn't much like season 1 and feels that he got the important stuff from the recap, there is no reason to say he has to watch it. That is bad advice, because you basically say he has to watch something he clearly doesn't enjoy. You can the second season just fine without knowing the ins and outs of the first.

Nobody says you shouldn't watch the first season, or that the first season isn't good, but it is defiantly possible to just start with the second season.

He can't possibly know if he got all the important stuff from the recap.

Someone who did see season 1 would have to watch it to know for sure.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He can't possibly know if he got all the important stuff from the recap.

Someone who did see season 1 would have to watch it to know for sure.
Yeah, I watched both season 1 and the recap, and I wouldn't have recommended it as an option if I hadn't found it sufficient. Sure, I'd probably go back and try to finish the first season once I caught up, but I figure it's okay to skip to the good stuff if you're legitimately not enjoying the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know that season two is better then the first in most ways, but if you legitimately can't make it through the first season because you don't enjoy it I don't think the second season is going to do much to change your mind. It's still the same show.

Unless you're the kind of person that will only enjoy the show because of name drops and comic references, which have had a healthy increase. And then what's the point? The show is still pretty much the same. A couple of character dynamics are changed but it's still the same formula.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 22, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. If you really dislike the type of show you're watching in season 1, it's not like the second is a totally different thing, it's a better version of the same show, all the same things are there.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I would just skip the first season. I don't even remember half of what happened the first season. It's that bad. Second season is way better. Just go Wikipedia these pay offs or whatever.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is awful advice.

It's always awful advice for any series, book or TV, that has any sort of serialization or actual character development. Especially with a show like this where the first season isn't bad. A couple characters suck, but the ultimate payoff is well worth just watching it. Skipping it just lets you walk into the middle of a storyline with no real investment into any of the plots or characters.

Deadpool posted:

I know that season two is better then the first in most ways, but if you legitimately can't make it through the first season because you don't enjoy it I don't think the second season is going to do much to change your mind. It's still the same show.

And this. Part of what makes the second season so great is how it builds on stuff the first season established. It's not like it's suddenly become something different.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Fox's Gotham sounds like a straight-up Smallville redux now.

quote:

Network entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly says "Gotham" won't be just about Commissioner Gordon and that fans of the DC comic can expect villains Catwoman, Riddler and the Joker.

When Fox gave a series commitment to Batman prequel Gotham back in September, the excitement around a TV drama about the Dark Knight's hometown was somewhat muted by confusion over which classic comic book characters would make the journey to the tube.

Focusing on the origins of the caped crusader's police liaison, Commissioner James Gordon, many suspected that Batman would not be part of the series. Fox Entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly says that's just not the case.

"This is not one of the things where you bought a franchise and then none of characters people know," Reilly told reporters during Monday's Television Critics Association winter press tour. "We will follow Bruce Wayne right up until the point where he gets interesting."

Reilly confirmed that the series will be as much of an origins story for Batman as Gordon. The pilot, executive produced and written by The Mentalist showrunner Bruno Heller, is in the process of casting -- and Reilly supposed that they will be looking for a boy of about 12 years old to play the young Wayne.

"It's Gotham teetering on the edge," he said. "This is all of the classic Batman characters."

The Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman were also mentioned as villains who will be part of the series. Reilly also said that the plan is for the series to ultimately end with Bruce Wayne putting on the cape and becoming Batman -- much as Smallville did with Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
After being spoiled by Arrow, I don't know if I can endure more of that 'next season for sure we'll see Batman, for sure' bullshit. :smith:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
"Right up until the point where he gets interesting" may be an unintentionally revealing choice of words.

When it was first announced that Fox had ordered a Commissioner Gordon show set in a pre-Batman Gotham, I thought they could go in one of two directions: say "gently caress it" to Batman canon and have Hunky Six-Pack Gordon and the GCPD combating full-on supervillains with no Bruce Wayne in sight, or do a more grounded show that could more plausibly take place before Batman appears in Gotham, but at the cost of being basically just another cop show with references occasionally dropped to Arkham Asylum, Selina Kyle, Oswald Cobblepot, Roman Sionis, etc. I didn't and still don't see a workable middle ground.

I'd love to be wrong and will be no doubt be tuning in for the pilot, but it sure sounds like they've chosen to pursue the unworkable middle ground.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

We are going to follow Bruce Wayne through all the boring stuff no one cares about and then end the show before it gets to the part people actually want to see. Yes, this is how we are trying to sell people on the show.

Also, how can Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman be on this show if all of them are basically the same age as Bruce? The Joker might be slightly older? I guess the Riddler might as well, but both of them did not become super villains until after Batman started his career.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I can see the concept working out if Gotham were a one season show. But then it would feel like a prologue of sorts, maybe setting the groundwork for Bat-Affleck saga? :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can see the concept working out if Gotham were a one season show. But then it would feel like a prologue of sorts, maybe setting the groundwork for Bat-Affleck saga? :v:

This would work in the same universe where Smallville was a four-season show that transitioned to Metropolis and a full-fledged Superman.

I wish I lived in that universe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

quote:

Reilly confirmed that the series will be as much of an origins story for Batman as Gordon. The pilot, executive produced and written by The Mentalist showrunner Bruno Heller, is in the process of casting -- and Reilly supposed that they will be looking for a boy of about 12 years old to play the young Wayne.

Gordon becomes Batman, Wayne becomes Robin. Do it Warner, go nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

We are going to follow Bruce Wayne through all the boring stuff no one cares about and then end the show before it gets to the part people actually want to see. Yes, this is how we are trying to sell people on the show.

Also, how can Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman be on this show if all of them are basically the same age as Bruce? The Joker might be slightly older? I guess the Riddler might as well, but both of them did not become super villains until after Batman started his career.
I hope that it ends up like Smallville and Robin somehow appears in Gotham before Batman.