Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Nolanar posted:

When you're bored of playing "sandcastle builder," play "sandcastle Godzilla." Conquer the entire map, crank your tyranny through the roof, and then switch to some random count and watch the fireworks.

I'm getting to the same point in my game, I'm going to save a separate file to play as one of my Republics though (I ended up making two vassal republics and then Pisa accepted my request for vassalization for some reason).

e: On another note, does anyone know if I can make my vassal Pope go into battle? I know they can when they're independent and call for a crusade, since the first time there was a crusade for Jerusalem the Pope ended up with the Crusader trait.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See I don't know if I want to do that as I kind of wanted to take my empire into EU4, but if it is this easy I am kind of reticent to do that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Josef bugman posted:

See I don't know if I want to do that as I kind of wanted to take my empire into EU4, but if it is this easy I am kind of reticent to do that.

What, you don't want to turn the whole world blue with Scandinavia? Don't just go for Europe -- go for true world conquest!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Josef bugman posted:

Go the Diocletian route. Split your empire into independent roughly nation-sized realms, each with extremely pretty borders of course :spergin:. Some will surprise you by beating the crap out of foreigners, some will need your help to survive, and some will have to be strongly discouraged from turning on their siblings.

Not only is it fun, but it creates a much more interesting EU4 scenario than either a megablob or the ugly mess of a collapsed AI empire.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so I am in around about 1100 and I have just about conquered everywhere in Europe. Norse is now larger than the top 5 other religions combined, the pope is an old man wandering around the remnants of the imperial city, Catholicism is (at best) a heresy.

And I am so bored. I mean I am playing as the Norse and now all it is is just painting the rest of the map blue, my vassals are either unwilling or unable to depose me so all I am doing is waiting for the Mongolian invasion and the Aztec's to show up.

What else should I do, do you think? Wait a little while longer and then convert it into EU4?

You accomplished that in under 40 years?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

What, you don't want to turn the whole world blue with Scandinavia? Don't just go for Europe -- go for true world conquest!

Not really, I just kind of wanted it to play out a bit more like a LP with problems and not getting too huge and so on, just keeping (say) all of Scandewegia and England and then going into EU4 was the plan. But then some of my vassals start expanding into Italy and France and you have to play catch up to stop them grabbing all the good land.

And then before you know it you have 100k of retinues and are witnessing Catholicism having less moral authority than some of its own heresies.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So how badly am I screwing myself over if I'm not min-maxing my demesne? I've been spoiled by my Ireland and Byzantium playthroughs giving me serious no-brainer options on the matter, and now that I'm stuck out here on the Iranian plateau with a bunch of 3 holding counties I'm having a hard time figuring whether or not I should just tough it out with the Duchy of Merv and the Duchy directly south of there.

I would throw my weight around and maybe grab that incredibly sweet turf around Rayy, but I stupidly put resources into tech and developing Merv and man it would suck to waste that.

e. also it doesn't help that the stuff I really want is held by solid, loyal dudes I would rather not gently caress over.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 21, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Being the only orthodox character in Rome makes the restore the Pentarchy button a suicide option. Thak you, Paradox. I just wanted to have a Patriarch to hang from a tree for my Norse heir. Just for the record: would the Roman empire have imploded if a non Christian got it?

Edit: I mean cease to exist automatically.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 21, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Seoinin posted:

So how badly am I screwing myself over if I'm not min-maxing my demesne? I've been spoiled by my Ireland and Byzantium playthroughs giving me serious no-brainer options on the matter, and now that I'm stuck out here on the Iranian plateau with a bunch of 3 holding counties I'm having a hard time figuring whether or not I should just tough it out with the Duchy of Merv and the Duchy directly south of there.

I would throw my weight around and maybe grab that incredibly sweet turf around Rayy, but I stupidly put resources into tech and developing Merv and man it would suck to waste that.

e. also it doesn't help that the stuff I really want is held by solid, loyal dudes I would rather not gently caress over.

Hamadan is by far the best duchy in Persia. It's worth it to take over, if gradually.

Esfahan is also good but that's where the Zoro church and the Immortals pop up so...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

genericnick posted:

Being the only orthodox character in Rome makes the restore the Pentarchy button a suicide option. Thak you, Paradox. I just wanted to have a Patriarch to hang from a tree for my Norse heir. Just for the record: would the Roman empire have imploded if a non Christian got it?

Probably. The last pagan on the throne had quite a few problems.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

You don't have to play all the way to the end date to convert a CKII game to EU4, you can do it at any date and as often as you want. So you could take your current game, convert it now, then go play Count of Whatever and if the map ends up interesting after you take down the empire, you can convert that one too.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Riso posted:

Probably. The last pagan on the throne had quite a few problems.

Julian? In my opinion his chief problem was "getting killed in battle." His reformed imperial cult seemed to be pretty savvy, actually. He built on the whole "Christianity's internal organization as a means of social control" thing and was aware of the fact that Christian values of charity and sacrifice made it popular with the lower-classes, so he tried to build that into his paganism. He also moved really slowly in the whole "oppressing non-believers" thing. Don't get me wrong, I bet he would have eventually outlawed Christianity, but probably not until he was really old and secure in his power base. I really think it would have took if he hadn't you know, been murdered by the Persians.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I just loaded up the game and got the loading message "All of your children will get claims on your titles."

Sounds like a nightmare my king would be having as he wakes up in a cold sweat, heart pounding, eyes shifting wildly back and forth before calling his spymaster in.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
So I started an Alexiad ironman game with the intention of going for the SPQR achievement. It's 1190, and I've all but obliterated catholicism, with only England, Castille, and the Knights of Santiago (Andalusia) remaining loyal. I'm on the brink of restoring Rome, though the arrangement of ownership of the needed baronies/counties means that barring fortuitous ruler deaths, it'll take me another 15-20 years.

Given that, once I become Rome and get the shiny Imperial Reconquest Casus Belli, what's the best way to proceed towards restoring Trajan's borders? Hammer the HRE until it falls apart, or focus on Spain/France?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TheBalor posted:

So I started an Alexiad ironman game with the intention of going for the SPQR achievement. It's 1190, and I've all but obliterated catholicism, with only England, Castille, and the Knights of Santiago (Andalusia) remaining loyal. I'm on the brink of restoring Rome, though the arrangement of ownership of the needed baronies/counties means that barring fortuitous ruler deaths, it'll take me another 15-20 years.

Given that, once I become Rome and get the shiny Imperial Reconquest Casus Belli, what's the best way to proceed towards restoring Trajan's borders? Hammer the HRE until it falls apart, or focus on Spain/France?

From experience, once you're strong enough to begin restoring the Roman Empire there really isn't a power left in the game strong enough to oppose you. I just queued up a bunch of imperial reconquest CBs at once and went to town conquering and pillaging with my retinues/mercs and that was all she wrote. I had enough time left to actually expand further than Trajan's borders by the time the game ended.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So a funny thing happened in my Zoroastrian Persia game. I beat the Seljuk Turks pretty handily before they acquired any land. Fast forward a couple centuries, I've reconquered the Persian Empire and the Muslims declared Jihad on me for Arabia. I get an offer from another Zoroastrian ruler to join my side of the war, which was surprising to me because, to my knowledge, I'm the only independent Zoroastrian ruler. I check who it is and... it's the Sultan of the Seljuk Turks?

He was Zoroastrian, had no land and no titles aside from the titular Seljuk title, and he was residing in my capital. He had no vassals, no income, and no one in his court. I checked the history of the title and they somehow had another dynasty take over after the original Sultan's son died who was Zoroastrian and they've remained such ever since. I wish I could vassalize him and give him some land in Anatolia or something, but there's no option to offer him vassalization or to give him land in the diplomacy menu.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Digital Osmosis posted:

Julian? In my opinion his chief problem was "getting killed in battle." His reformed imperial cult seemed to be pretty savvy, actually. He built on the whole "Christianity's internal organization as a means of social control" thing and was aware of the fact that Christian values of charity and sacrifice made it popular with the lower-classes, so he tried to build that into his paganism. He also moved really slowly in the whole "oppressing non-believers" thing. Don't get me wrong, I bet he would have eventually outlawed Christianity, but probably not until he was really old and secure in his power base. I really think it would have took if he hadn't you know, been murdered by the Persians.

Church historians also did a hatchet job on him, which hasn't helped his reputation much. I also wonder how much of his Christian antipathy came from being literally bullied by future Christian saints and archbishops in school.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Has the recommended mods lists changed any in the last couple of months?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Seoinin posted:

In my Zoro game, I held on to Merv and Samarkand for myself, but jumped down to Esfahan and Hamedan as I conquered them, purely because of how nice those duchies are. I didn't build anything while I was waiting to make the move and used my money for mercs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pakled posted:

I wish I could vassalize him and give him some land in Anatolia or something, but there's no option to offer him vassalization or to give him land in the diplomacy menu.
Try his heir.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NihilCredo posted:

Try his heir.

He doesn't have an heir. Or a wife. Or any living family members. When the last Sultan died, another member of his dynasty just materialized out of nowhere to take the title. CK2's version of CK1's country cousin mechanic, I guess.

Also he won't accept any marriage proposals I offer him so I can't even do any dynastic shenanigans to get a Seljuk Sultan under me.

Before the last Sultan died, he gained an event-generated Jewish courtier, so I was hoping the title would pass to him and we'd get a Jewish Seljuk sultanate and I could maybe set him up in Israel, but nope.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 22, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Is there a way I can set up my Pope with some nice land before I set him free? I have been trying to transfer vassals that are near Rome to him but the only counts I can transfer to him are dudes half a world away and it's getting frustrating, I want him to have the Kingdom of Sicily so he has a nice fat demense.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Lunatic is the best trait. :allears:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is there some reason my succession laws should change to primogeniture in the middle of my reign without informing me? I've been trying to maintain elective monarchy, but twice now my laws change with no notice. Meanwhile my quick-strong kinsman gets older and older.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Caufman posted:

Is there some reason my succession laws should change to primogeniture in the middle of my reign without informing me? I've been trying to maintain elective monarchy, but twice now my laws change with no notice. Meanwhile my quick-strong kinsman gets older and older.

I would kill for the game to randomly give me primogeniture. :colbert:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

In my Zoro game, I held on to Merv and Samarkand for myself, but jumped down to Esfahan and Hamedan as I conquered them, purely because of how nice those duchies are. I didn't build anything while I was waiting to make the move and used my money for mercs.

I figure if I slowly shift my demesne over that way, waiting to move capitols until I've got enough tech saved up to guarantee being able to grab legalism 2 if its not already present, I should be okay.

Presuming of course the Abassids don't pop by for a chat with 15,000 of their friends. Again. Ha-ha. holy wars :suicide:

e. on that note, what should I be looking for if I wanted to dig down into the guts of combat? Sheer numbers worked until my enemies started fielding big piles of horse archers, and now I'm sort of clueless how one goes about countering them when an army I outnumber by almost 2-1 can still whip my rear end by dint of being largely HAs.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 22, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Seoinin posted:

On that note, what should I be looking for if I wanted to dig down into the guts of combat? Sheer numbers worked until my enemies started fielding big piles of horse archers, and now I'm sort of clueless how one goes about countering them when an army I outnumber by almost 2-1 can still whip my rear end by dint of being largely HAs.

Welcome to the problem of all medieval kings when facing mongols.

I think you have to wait for them to get off their horses to win I am afraid.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You could try with cavalry retinues (100 HC 400 LC). If I am reading the files right, even though light cavalry is crap, the tactics it uses (harass) beats tactics that horse archers use (swarm). But I really have no idea, my way of dealing with mongols are either accepting their lordship and waiting for their doomstacks to deplete or migrating west.

Oh, or being greek with cataphracts. That always works.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Heavy Infantry could work. They don't take much damage in Skirmish, and do well in the Melee phase.

Except against the Altaic culture group, which includes the Mongols-reason being people of that culture have a unique tactic that forces the battle to go back to the Skirmish phase which they excel in.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Hungary, as a title, is held by one of my vassals. It contains no de jure land from the kingdom, which is held by the Ilkhanate. I know we can't win, but it's a new ruler and that +25 is nice so I loaded everyone with a title onto the boats. At first I tried landing on random Ilkhanate soil, but the trait didn't fire so I marched into de jure Hungary. I'm sieging a holding in the contested territory and the trait still hasn't fired.

Is there something I'm missing here? Every other crusade I've been on has been for Muslim land and it always gave me the Crusader trait the second my feet hit enemy soil.

Edit: Welp. It fired after ten days of sitting around, then took another five to make sure it fired on everyone. I guess years of inbreeding have rendered my vassals incapable of figuring out that they're in a war until someone explains it with sock puppets.

Seoinin posted:

e. on that note, what should I be looking for if I wanted to dig down into the guts of combat? Sheer numbers worked until my enemies started fielding big piles of horse archers, and now I'm sort of clueless how one goes about countering them when an army I outnumber by almost 2-1 can still whip my rear end by dint of being largely HAs.

Crusader Kings 2: What if the Mongols never went home

Aside from owning the whole world before they show up, being the Roman Empire or having horse archers yourself, does anyone have a strategy to beat them post-nerf?

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 22, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there a way to set prestige to a certain number by event without having to resort to half a dozen if statements?

Because I want to write a seppuku decision that nullifies negative prestige.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You can change your culture to Scottish. Their schiltron pikemen are defense oriented and under Scottish leaders they can have Schiltron formation tactic that gives

code:
light_infantry_defensive = 1.2
	heavy_infantry_defensive = 2.4
	pikemen_defensive = 3.6

archers_offensive = 0.6
	pikemen_offensive = 2.4

light_cavalry_defensive = -0.4
	knights_defensive = -0.4
	horse_archers_defensive = -0.4
That is 360% defense and 240% offense to pikemen that already have 60% defense and can withstand skirmish phase very well. So, the best thing against horse archers are wall of pikes :paradox:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can imagine that being Welsh or English would help. You can field much more of your cultural retinue (pure archers) than the Mongols can field horse archers. If your commander is English or Welsh they can use the Massive Longbow Volley tactic:

quote:

Massive Longbow Volley Archers Offensive (4.2)

Archers have one point more attack power in the skirmish phase than horse archers, while having one point less defense. You will probably win if you outnumber the enemy.

But it is nice that even the players have the same thought as the real life medieval rulers: "What the gently caress? How can you beat them?? They are bullshit!!!"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

I can imagine that being Welsh or English would help. You can field much more of your cultural retinue (pure archers) than the Mongols can field horse archers. If your commander is English or Welsh they can use the Massive Longbow Volley tactic:

Archers have one point more attack power in the skirmish phase than horse archers, while having one point less defense. You will probably win if you outnumber the enemy.

But it is nice that even the players have the same thought as the real life medieval rulers: "What the gently caress? How can you beat them?? They are bullshit!!!"

Problem with archers is that swarm tactic of horse archers have a bonus against volley tactic of archers, and that includes english/welsh massive longbow volley tactic. That said, yes they could be a good counter to mongols, mostly of what you said yourself.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Counter bonus in skirmish is only 100% though, so it just bumps HA to 4x.

It's not ruining unlike the 300% in melee

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

lurksion posted:

Counter bonus in skirmish is only 100% though, so it just bumps HA to 4x.

It's not ruining unlike the 300% in melee

Was this changed recently, or was like that since the beginning? I just looked in the files, and you are right, it is only 100%. For some reason I remember it being 300%.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Anyone know where I can still get NBRT?

Edit: Nvm, got it. :)

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 22, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I played the Russian empire and beat both the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde. It was just a matter of having something like 40K in heavy infantry retinues and 50k in levies to help back them up. I positioned the retinues in stacks of 10K near where the hordes would show up, and fought defensively. The Mongols tended to split up their stacks to take more land, allowing me to concentrate my whole realm's forces fighting only a few stacks of 20-30k at a time.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DrSunshine posted:

I played the Russian empire and beat both the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde. It was just a matter of having something like 40K in heavy infantry retinues and 50k in levies to help back them up. I positioned the retinues in stacks of 10K near where the hordes would show up, and fought defensively. The Mongols tended to split up their stacks to take more land, allowing me to concentrate my whole realm's forces fighting only a few stacks of 20-30k at a time.
Yeah, the difficulty of beating the hordes is often greatly overstated here. Just spend your 300+ years building a decent sized state and you'll be fine, the AI isn't very good at utilizing their free stacks.

Unless you are roleplaying or something but then you can just switch over to some random relative in Spain anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

How do I avoid being a tyrant every time I want to invade something? If I want to press a claim I have to land the dude first, so I have to take someone else's land to give it to him. Or should I just keep doing that.

• Locked thread