Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

the posted:

If I order something right now from Amazon.com and put down 2-day shipping, will that arrive on the 24th?

The one day shipping says the 23rd, but there's no "date" after the 2-day shipping.
I ordered some stuff yesterday with 2-day shipping, and they said it's arriving on the 24th. Their ads and text say "Arrives by Christmas" so I think the understanding is "If it gets to you by 11:59PM on 12-24, then it's before Christmas so screw you."

Every shipment I get from them is one less trip to the store for me, so I ain't complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I don't know if there is a better forum to ask this (there probably is), but I've got a Microsoft Office question.

I have a 400+ page document I need to add headers and page numbers to. The page numbers need to be continuous starting 11 pages in, but the headers aren't necessarily continuous, but need to start 12 pages in. The Office support website provides little support and Google isn't helping much either. Basically, I want to add a header to every page (I have two, one for odd numbers and one for even numbered pages) in the document and then delete the ones on pages where there shouldn't be a header. Microsoft, being the loving greatest software company in the world, decided (as far as I can tell) to make that process horribly inefficient, complicated, and time consuming. Aside from adding section breaks every 10 pages for 400 pages and changing the headers for each section while somehow maintaining continuity of the page numbers, does anybody know a better way to do this?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

syscall girl posted:

Does anyone have experience with scanners and OCR software?

I need to scan a smallish paperback book. It's no longer in print and the rights have reverted back to the author and she wants to make it in to an ebook.

I'm looking for a recommendation because I haven't used a scanner in years and have zero clue as to what's good and what I can expect.

The scanning itself doesn't take that long. My lovely old scanner/printer/fax can do about 3 pages per minute at a good enough resolution for OCR. The OCR also doesn't take that long. I still use my old copy of abbyy finereader. What takes time is proofing the results.

* scanning resolution. I can't remember what setting I use, hopefully someone else will pipe up. But it's worth spending some time experimenting for you. Pick a setting, go through the process of scanning a few pages, OCRing those pages, and proofing the results. If you have way too many OCR errors, go back an increase the resolution. Higher resolution means more scanning time, but if the book is short enough this will more than pay off when it comes time to proof.

* scanning brightness and contrast. Again, can't tell you what settings to use, but OCRing is much easier when you have good settings, and it's worth spending a bit of time at the beginning trying out a couple of different settings to see which one OCRed best.

* scanning itself. This will take a few hours, probably. The way I do it is put the scanner on my lap and watch TV while I scan. Depending on the book binding, you may want to break the book's back. If the actual book itself is priceless, you probably don't want to do this, but trust me: it makes scanning so much easier. In any case, you'll need to apply downward pressure to the book binding onto the scanner so that the inside margin text will be scanned. This is why I put the scanner on my lap: it's easier to press the book down onto the scanner.

I was going to write something about the OCR and proofing process, but realize now that it will depend entirely on whatever software you choose for this. I am totally out of the loop on what OCR software exists these days. Whatever you choose, remember garbage in garbage out: good scans at the beginning make everything else so much easier.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

dokmo posted:

* scanning resolution. I can't remember what setting I use, hopefully someone else will pipe up. But it's worth spending some time experimenting for you. Pick a setting, go through the process of scanning a few pages, OCRing those pages, and proofing the results. If you have way too many OCR errors, go back an increase the resolution. Higher resolution means more scanning time, but if the book is short enough this will more than pay off when it comes time to proof.

That'll depend on how crisp the letterforms are. If it was a crappy original print job with a lot of bleeding, a higher resolution scan might help. If it's extremely readable, something around 150dpi/ppi is probably fine and will be quite speedy.

Scan a couple of test pages that cover all your character styles (eg. chapter title, body copy, whatever else the book might have) and try them out before scanning the entire book.

edit: Also, it might be cheaper to farm the scanning work out to a professional OCR service, because they'll probably be able to do it way cheaper. They usually ruin the book in the process (they run it through a scanner with a sheet feeder) unless you want to pay extra, but I'd guess it'd be cheap enough that you could still make a little profit on top.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

tuyop posted:

Isn't that nearly everyone? That poo poo is unreadable and I've read a lot of dense, opaque poo poo.

Are you confusing the Hobbit with Lord of the Rings?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Really stupid question :v:

Did :v: originate here at Something Awful, and if that is the case, would it be correct to say that Facebook took it directly from here?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Are you confusing the Hobbit with Lord of the Rings?

They're all the same way. I know that the hobbit is supposed to be a children's book or something but it's still just as hard to read as LOTR. And I've put the effort in, it's not for lack of trying.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

They're all the same way. I know that the hobbit is supposed to be a children's book or something but it's still just as hard to read as LOTR. And I've put the effort in, it's not for lack of trying.

LotR is pretty easy to read if you can get through the first book.

Fellowship of the Ring does have a talking fox though.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Mr. Squishy posted:

Which was the first country to move away from colossal bank notes to ones that could fit in the modern wallet and when did they do it?

I thought this was an interesting question, so I did the rounds on Google and found some neat stuff, though not a specific answer. I do have a guess, though.

This page from the Bank of England has a history of banknotes (also see Wiki for banknote and History of money). The page says bank notes of formal denominations (as opposed to random amounts based on individual trading transactions) became common in the early-1700s. Banks weren't really for poor people, as coins were more efficient than having a handwritten note issued by a banker (and weight wasn't as much of an issue), so the notes weren't issued for less than £50. Over time wars and gold shortages forced the banks to issue smaller and smaller notes because they couldn't afford to pay out all the notes for real gold. This, plus advances in printing presses, eventually led to denominations of £1 and £2 and made paper money no longer exclusively for business trading and the rich.

My personal guess is that this movement to smaller denominations is what pushed a physical size change in the bills, leading to smaller notes for everyday use. No idea if England was the first (money was invented in China hundreds of years earlier), but its a good guess as they were an early banking giant.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What would be the equivalent of "italianate" when referring to something French? Is it just French? Because that sounds odd in the context I'm using it in (i.e. "O mio babbino caro may be the most italianate of arias, whereas Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix may be the most ____.") 'French' sounds flat in that sentence and doesn't quite convey the same meaning -- if italianate means "the property of being Italian", does the word French handle double duty? French = the property of being French?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Did :v: originate here at Something Awful, and if that is the case, would it be correct to say that Facebook took it directly from here?

It's certainly the first place I've seen it.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

regulargonzalez posted:

What would be the equivalent of "italianate" when referring to something French? Is it just French? Because that sounds odd in the context I'm using it in (i.e. "O mio babbino caro may be the most italianate of arias, whereas Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix may be the most ____.") 'French' sounds flat in that sentence and doesn't quite convey the same meaning -- if italianate means "the property of being Italian", does the word French handle double duty? French = the property of being French?

Gallic, maybe?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Frankish is probably what you're looking for.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pogo the Clown posted:

I thought this was an interesting question, so I did the rounds on Google and found some neat stuff, though not a specific answer. I do have a guess, though.

This page from the Bank of England has a history of banknotes (also see Wiki for banknote and History of money). The page says bank notes of formal denominations (as opposed to random amounts based on individual trading transactions) became common in the early-1700s. Banks weren't really for poor people, as coins were more efficient than having a handwritten note issued by a banker (and weight wasn't as much of an issue), so the notes weren't issued for less than £50. Over time wars and gold shortages forced the banks to issue smaller and smaller notes because they couldn't afford to pay out all the notes for real gold. This, plus advances in printing presses, eventually led to denominations of £1 and £2 and made paper money no longer exclusively for business trading and the rich.

My personal guess is that this movement to smaller denominations is what pushed a physical size change in the bills, leading to smaller notes for everyday use. No idea if England was the first (money was invented in China hundreds of years earlier), but its a good guess as they were an early banking giant.

Thanks for all that. Thinking of those oversized pages as personal contracts with the bank makes them a lot more explicable.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

hoobajoo posted:

Frankish is probably what you're looking for.

Carbon Thief posted:

Gallic, maybe?

Thanks, I think Gallic works best.

Completely unrelated question. So, salt would be the purest expression of 'saltiness' to our taste buds, and sugar for sweetness. And I guess MSG for umami. Is there an equivalent for sour (citric acid, maybe?) and bitter?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 21, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

Completely unrelated question. So, salt would be the purest expression of 'saltiness' to our taste buds, and sugar for sweetness. And I guess MSG for umami. Is there an equivalent for sour (citric acid, maybe?) and bitter?

There are sweeter things than sugar, if that's how you're defining "purest".

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

There are sweeter things than sugar, if that's how you're defining "purest".

I guess I'd define purest as having the highest ratio of sweetness to other tastes (i.e., saccharine is much sweeter than sugar but is also rather bitter; aspartame et al are far sweeter but have that chemical / medicinal taste)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Any acid will taste sour. I would assume the stronger the acid, the stronger the taste.

Wikipedia says HCl is used as the reference point when rating sourness.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm fairly sure that it did and that a developer at Facebook back when they were coding Chat was a goon. I think that he hid his face in there as a smiley as well.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
I think there's a better thread to ask this but I can't remember what it's called or which subforum it's located in, but does anyone remember an off-site forums search that someone posted a while back that brought up results all the way back to near the beginning of SA? The regular forums search doesn't find everything for some reason. I swear I had the search site bookmarked but alas it appears to be gone.

Edit: welp, more searching finally answered both my questions. the site was dassaas.tk and it appears to be non-functional now.

Eptar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 21, 2013

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
I want to buy a friend (he's a sophomore piano major focusing primarily on classical) a good book about music history for Christmas. (not a textbook). Something in depth, since he's already well beyond the basics of music history. Any suggestions?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I work with salamanders, and use a lot of children's 200-500 gallon swimming pools to keep them or their larvae in. This works really well, but I want to abandon most of my current setups and go with a better system I've been thinking up, where I'd bury the pools to help insulate them a bit and allow terrestrial species to exit the pools (build an enclosure around the pools). The problem is, it's a lot of work to even partially dig out one pool and it's a HUGE pain to get them level, and I'm thinking of doing this for at least ten two hundred gallon or more pools.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to build a device that does some of this for me. I'm picturing a big screw about four feet tall that I'd hammer/dig into the ground. I'd get it level, and then at the top there would be two metal? "blades," each the radius of my pools, attached to a ring, so that the blades would go around the screw. With a hole in each blade for a rope, two people would walk around the screw, pulling the ropes, and they'd go down the screw and dig out the hole. I'd have to empty the dirt every so often from the hole but it would already be loose. And in the end, I'd get a nice, clean, level hole in the ground of the exact shape for my swimming pools.

For starters, is this feasible, and if so, how would I get something like this built? And am I overlooking anything? If it's not feasible, (maybe the dirt would just be too much work even doing this), would something like this work to just get the damned hole level without a ton of guesswork, measurements, and constant readjustments?

I don't really have the background to do this, but something along these lines would be insanely useful (if it actually worked), and if I could get something like this built relatively cheaply it would make the prospects of expanding things a lot easier. I'd really appreciate any help on this project I might get from someone more knowledgeable about this kinda thing than I am!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OneTwentySix posted:

I work with salamanders, and use a lot of children's 200-500 gallon swimming pools to keep them or their larvae in. This works really well, but I want to abandon most of my current setups and go with a better system I've been thinking up, where I'd bury the pools to help insulate them a bit and allow terrestrial species to exit the pools (build an enclosure around the pools). The problem is, it's a lot of work to even partially dig out one pool and it's a HUGE pain to get them level, and I'm thinking of doing this for at least ten two hundred gallon or more pools.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to build a device that does some of this for me. I'm picturing a big screw about four feet tall that I'd hammer/dig into the ground. I'd get it level, and then at the top there would be two metal? "blades," each the radius of my pools, attached to a ring, so that the blades would go around the screw. With a hole in each blade for a rope, two people would walk around the screw, pulling the ropes, and they'd go down the screw and dig out the hole. I'd have to empty the dirt every so often from the hole but it would already be loose. And in the end, I'd get a nice, clean, level hole in the ground of the exact shape for my swimming pools.

For starters, is this feasible, and if so, how would I get something like this built? And am I overlooking anything? If it's not feasible, (maybe the dirt would just be too much work even doing this), would something like this work to just get the damned hole level without a ton of guesswork, measurements, and constant readjustments?

I don't really have the background to do this, but something along these lines would be insanely useful (if it actually worked), and if I could get something like this built relatively cheaply it would make the prospects of expanding things a lot easier. I'd really appreciate any help on this project I might get from someone more knowledgeable about this kinda thing than I am!

Do you need to use the pools? You can get the same results with a koi pond and just build an enclose around it. Either with preformed ponds or a simple poly liner, doesn't need to be level or even round.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

regulargonzalez posted:

I guess I'd define purest as having the highest ratio of sweetness to other tastes (i.e., saccharine is much sweeter than sugar but is also rather bitter; aspartame et al are far sweeter but have that chemical / medicinal taste)

Table sugar-sucrose is actually less sweet than fructose.

Regarding your original question, the Wikipedia page for taste receptor suggests multiple ligands for bitterness: "Common bitter ligands include cycloheximide, denatonium, PROP (6-n-propyl-2-thiouracil), PTC (phenylthiocarbamide), and β-glucopyranosides.[13]"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Fellowship of the Ring does have a talking fox though.

What does it say? :haw:

OneTwentySix posted:

I work with salamanders

For starters, the process you've devised seems to be based on having the hole be level at all times during the digging process. This will take more time and effort, while providing no additional benefit to leveling just the bottom.

My particular strategy (not a landscaper by trade so this might be just as short sighted) would be to dig out your hole as close as you can to level, add a few inches of sand or loose gravel, drop in the pool, and agitate until it settles. You can probably rent a machine to help you vibrate your pool, and then once you fill it, it's not going anywhere.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

I want to buy a friend (he's a sophomore piano major focusing primarily on classical) a good book about music history for Christmas. (not a textbook). Something in depth, since he's already well beyond the basics of music history. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't recommend doing this, as if he's a music major at a half-decent school, he'll be getting his fill of music history. Beyond that, if you want something "in-depth," you're going to have to be more specific about which era of music.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 21, 2013

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

FCKGW posted:

Do you need to use the pools? You can get the same results with a koi pond and just build an enclose around it. Either with preformed ponds or a simple poly liner, doesn't need to be level or even round.

It's not that I need to use them, it's that a 200 gallon kiddy pool is $15, and building a similar sized pond is going to be at least ten times that, probably a lot more. I need a ton of ponds - I already have seven and I'd like to have fifteen to twenty, though I won't be touching the long term ponds that haven't had any issues. If there was a cheaper solution for a custom pond it would be great; it'd make it easier for metamorphs or adults to leave the water since it wouldn't be a straight up climb, but I'd rather do some sort of work-around if possible.

KnifeWrench posted:

For starters, the process you've devised seems to be based on having the hole be level at all times during the digging process. This will take more time and effort, while providing no additional benefit to leveling just the bottom.

My particular strategy (not a landscaper by trade so this might be just as short sighted) would be to dig out your hole as close as you can to level, add a few inches of sand or loose gravel, drop in the pool, and agitate until it settles. You can probably rent a machine to help you vibrate your pool, and then once you fill it, it's not going anywhere.

Yeah, that's true, it's probably easier to just dig the whole thing and then get it level. It's just something I came up with in the shower and was curious if it might actually be worth doing. Something like that might work to get the bottom level, though; dump in some sand, take a board and turn it around while keeping the top level.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 21, 2013

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

KnifeWrench posted:

What does it say? :haw:

As a (former) landscaper, that's pretty much exactly what you would do. Dig it out slightly deeper than you need it, add sand until it's above the level that you want the bottom of the pool, then install the pool and pack it down to get it leveled and supported underneath. Water is heavy enough that you could get it mostly packed down then fill it and let it settle on its own.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

Does anyone have experience with scanners and OCR software?

I need to scan a smallish paperback book. It's no longer in print and the rights have reverted back to the author and she wants to make it in to an ebook.

I'm looking for a recommendation because I haven't used a scanner in years and have zero clue as to what's good and what I can expect.

Yeah, cut off the spine and feed it in through a standard scanner. OCR will take care of the rest, just make sure you proofread it before you send it in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

What you are describing is an auger.

I'd recommend renting a small excavator for an afternoon.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, cut off the spine and feed it in through a standard scanner. OCR will take care of the rest, just make sure you proofread it before you send it in.

This is probably what I'm going to do with my textbooks this semester. I just need a laptop and/or a tablet and I'll have all my reference material with me everywhere I go. The possibilities for synthesis are off the hook.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

OneTwentySix posted:

How many salamanders do you have? You must so many. So many salamanders.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

NESguerilla posted:

I'd recommend renting a small excavator for an afternoon.
This. They're cheap to rent and readily available and will make very quick work of what would otherwise be a backbreaking project.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie - all I remember about it was it was really crazy and fast paced and it came out in the mid 2000s, like 2005 or 2006.

There were two scenes I can remember, one where there was a bunch of bad guys in an ice hockey rink trying to kill the heroes (a guy and a girl) and another scene where the heroes meet a nice couple that turns out was abducting kids and using them to make kiddie-porn in a real wholesome looking house. The heroes found like a drain and a bunch of cutting tools on the wall where they were apparently disposing of the kids, and the heroes later killed these guys. It was just basically an all around offensive movie.

I think a kid got kidnapped too and the point of the movie was the heroes were trying to find the kid.

Anyone know what this movie is? I've been trying to remember the name of it and its been killing me, and googling "ice hockey bad guys" turns up nothing. I don't wanna google anything related to the other scene I remember for obvious reasons.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

vaginite posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie - all I remember about it was it was really crazy and fast paced and it came out in the mid 2000s, like 2005 or 2006.

There were two scenes I can remember, one where there was a bunch of bad guys in an ice hockey rink trying to kill the heroes (a guy and a girl) and another scene where the heroes meet a nice couple that turns out was abducting kids and using them to make kiddie-porn in a real wholesome looking house. The heroes found like a drain and a bunch of cutting tools on the wall where they were apparently disposing of the kids, and the heroes later killed these guys. It was just basically an all around offensive movie.

I think a kid got kidnapped too and the point of the movie was the heroes were trying to find the kid.

Anyone know what this movie is? I've been trying to remember the name of it and its been killing me, and googling "ice hockey bad guys" turns up nothing. I don't wanna google anything related to the other scene I remember for obvious reasons.

Running Scared.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

Melicious posted:

I wouldn't recommend doing this, as if he's a music major at a half-decent school, he'll be getting his fill of music history. Beyond that, if you want something "in-depth," you're going to have to be more specific about which era of music.
He specifically asked me to get him one about the baroque period.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How long does it take to crosscountry ski in an enjoyable manner?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

This is probably what I'm going to do with my textbooks this semester. I just need a laptop and/or a tablet and I'll have all my reference material with me everywhere I go. The possibilities for synthesis are off the hook.

There's a chance that those textbooks have already been scanned and are on a torrent site somewhere.

I supopse that if you own the originals, it's not really :filez:

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

spog posted:

Yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

There's a chance that those textbooks have already been scanned and are on a torrent site somewhere.

This would not be an issue if the publishers would just release a PDF version of their text with the paper version. I don't even care if it's got DRM as long as I can just search it and access it without lugging around a four-pound book.