Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Terrifying Effigies posted:

From a recent trip, they really do look like some sort of mutated Superguppy from the front:

Bonjour...

Of course, due to a 'computer issue,' Air France was unable to load both decks simultaneously. Took nearly two hours to load the plane :suicide:

Should have gone with the classic option...

Really should have dumped Air France entirely and gone with a real airline...:france:

I'm a patriotic Frenchman and yet I avoid Air France like the plague. They were good, but in the last few years they've really gone downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How is what doors you load an A380 from related to computers?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

StandardVC10 posted:

How is what doors you load an A380 from related to computers?

The jetbridges are controlled, at least partially, by computers. If they aren't working properly, the jetbridge simply won't work. Or it will, and stand your 737 on its rear end (like what happened once at Westjet when I was working there).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

I've got a family member flying on a dash-8 in the near future. When they arrive do I offer condolences or grumble jealously?

I haven't been on one yet, though I think I've been on almost everything else Bombardier makes these days. I could write a doctoral dissertation on the CRJ passenger experience.

I took a Dash-8 from Pittsburg to Harrisburg, PA it was a fun 30 minute flight because we never got over like 20k feet.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

The jetbridges are controlled, at least partially, by computers. If they aren't working properly, the jetbridge simply won't work. Or it will, and stand your 737 on its rear end (like what happened once at Westjet when I was working there).

Was that the one in YVR? Because that was hysterical to everyone not at WS.

Also, I refuse to fly Air France as they are the only airline to crash three 707s in one year. Two at the same airport!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

MrChips posted:

I never got a clear answer from the staff (and you can see in the pic that both jet bridges were docked). It was just a huge clusterfuck all around, with the added benefit of having to fly up across Greenland to avoid the storms hitting the UK. You would think Air France would at least try to step up for their flagship A380 flights.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powercube posted:

Was that the one in YVR? Because that was hysterical to everyone not at WS.

Nope, it was this one at YYC.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Man, I totally forgot they had the dual jetbridges at YYC- and it whacked an ex PWA bird. A shame.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Barnsy posted:

I'm a patriotic Frenchman and yet I avoid Air France like the plague. They were good, but in the last few years they've really gone downhill.

I flew on those 747s at least ten times in the early '90s, and they were clearly superior to Delta or the other American lines (at least in food, stewardess attractiveness and other factors of interest to an adolescent.) Kind of a shame to hear they're not what they once were.

The big Airbuses do seem a -lot- smoother on intercontinental flights than the old 747s.

E: now that I think about it I meant 777, not an Airbus

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 21, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
777 or bust on international travel.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

D C posted:

I so enjoy my 777 trips across the pond. 10 times better than a 747.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Plinkey posted:

I took a Dash-8 from Pittsburg to Harrisburg, PA it was a fun 30 minute flight because we never got over like 20k feet.

Sounds like the turnpike, only slower. :haw:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm stuck at MSP, someone bring me beer.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

I haven't been on one yet, though I think I've been on almost everything else Bombardier makes these days. I could write a doctoral dissertation on the CRJ passenger experience.

I think I can summarize that dissertation:

NOT ENOF SPACE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsuru posted:

VVVV- I have no idea, I'm not familiar enough with the 777 to know. High pitched chimes are usually the master caution, but I think it's better to wait for Linedance to "chime" in with a respone.

Without hearing it, I'd guess the quadruple chime mentioned is autopilot or more likely auto throttle disconnect when they hit the go-around switches.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 21, 2013

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Badass approach to Honningsvåg HVG / ENHV

https://vimeo.com/82376904

Slightly disputed, but often described as the northernmost town in the world, 71 degrees north.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

D C posted:

Is this really a big thing for you? I can think of a number of way bigger influences on my intercontinental comforts over the years, airline and load factor in general, stressful connections in places like CDG or FRA specifically, and having a full day shaved off of a NY trip by a broken Delta plane representing absolute rock bottom.

Having to sit through a 7hr direct connection by 738 charter isn't that large of a hit to take compared to a 777 10 abreast cattle class EK flight, chaos and all :shrug:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

Sounds like the turnpike, only slower. :haw:

Basically the stupidest connection ever. This was before delta or someone like that flew from ORD to MDT. LA -> PIT -> MDT. Now it's mostly LA -> ORD/DEN -> MDT on A320s the whole way.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

Without hearing it, I'd guess the quadruple chime mentioned is autopilot or more likely auto throttle disconnect when they hit the go-around switches.
As far as I was able to find out it is the "original" Boeing EFIS master caution chime, the high/low became available later as a customer option. Seeing as how the 777 likes to throw CAS caution messages at the crew on autothrottle disconnect and low airspeed that is likely what it was.

Autopilot disconnect is a much lower "whooler" sound, also like on the 747-400 and -8.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Ola posted:

Slightly disputed, but often described as the northernmost town in the world, 71 degrees north.

Another fun northern approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6dQK0ipGk

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Fokker 50 :geert: And these guys train with us, too! :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Ola posted:

I... was trying to figure out where the runway was, because the approach lights just seemed to be in the rock.

And then they went around the corner. :aaaaa: That's completely insane.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Uuugh, seat 18a on an embraer 135, at least it's a short hop.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

devmd01 posted:

Uuugh, seat 18a on an embraer 135, at least it's a short hop.
Is that sitting on the tail? I thought there were only 13 rows in an ERJ-135

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ola posted:

Page not found

Sorry, "Approach RWY 26 HVG" was deleted at 12:57:15 Sat Dec 21, 2013.

We have no more information about it on our mainframe or elsewhere.

:(

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

I love it how it's calling minimums at a point where you can't even see the runway yet because the plane hasn't lined up. I guess if you want to go around you have to complete the turn first, because it doesn't look like trying to climb over those mountains is a good idea.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

grover posted:

Is that sitting on the tail? I thought there were only 13 rows in an ERJ-135

Might as well be. Guess it's a 145 then, not a whole lotta difference.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The new American livery looks even better in person.

Don't mind me, just waiting for the ground crew at o'hare...

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

sofullofhate posted:

I... was trying to figure out where the runway was, because the approach lights just seemed to be in the rock.

And then they went around the corner. :aaaaa: That's completely insane.

Juneau's is like that. From the south you're flying up a valley with low cloud cover and make a left turn before landing. From the north there's a large hill directly in line with the runway so you make a 20* or so right turn just before the flare. It's fun to stand at the end of the runway and watch!

Edit: Here's the FAA page showing a pretty normal-to-good-day approach from the south.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Koesj posted:

Is this really a big thing for you? I can think of a number of way bigger influences on my intercontinental comforts over the years, airline and load factor in general, stressful connections in places like CDG or FRA specifically, and having a full day shaved off of a NY trip by a broken Delta plane representing absolute rock bottom.

Having to sit through a 7hr direct connection by 738 charter isn't that large of a hit to take compared to a 777 10 abreast cattle class EK flight, chaos and all :shrug:

I dont really care, they are just more comfortable. Plus I'm usually in business for international travel so...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

devmd01 posted:

Don't mind me, just waiting for the ground crew at o'hare...

That's what you get for flying on Chautauqua.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Advent Horizon posted:

Juneau's is like that. From the south you're flying up a valley with low cloud cover and make a left turn before landing. From the north there's a large hill directly in line with the runway so you make a 20* or so right turn just before the flare. It's fun to stand at the end of the runway and watch!

Edit: Here's the FAA page showing a pretty normal-to-good-day approach from the south.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Whose GN and what were you doing over on the pond side? Also, it's a little odd that you were back behind NorthStar Trekking.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

So that LAM crash in Botswana was an impressive case of pilot suicide.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Excellent video of an approach into ZQN, Queenstown NZ in an A320.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxmFCw-Dig

http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZQN_45.1_45.2.pdf

Here's the view back down the runway, looking in the direction that flight came from.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

So an Ethiopian 767 landed at a small regional airport instead of its intended one leading to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnklcClSgts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mobius1B7R posted:

So an Ethiopian 767 landed at a small regional airport instead of its intended one leading to this...

Well that answers the question of what happened to those dream lifter pilots.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mobius1B7R posted:

Those kids are way too excited watching that 767 take off. I hope at least a few of them will become pilots :unsmith:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Advent Horizon posted:

Whose GN and what were you doing over on the pond side? Also, it's a little odd that you were back behind NorthStar Trekking.

My GN. I worked at Aero Services as a fueler back in 2004. Cool thing about Northstar was that whenever I wasn't working, I could call them and if they had any upcoming flights with an open seat, I could just head down there and ride around with them, totally free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mobius1B7R posted:

Was it all white when it landed or did they do that thing where they paint out all the titles whenever anything goes wrong?