Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I hope Roy's hero name is Ambacrombie.
Seriously. Roy's arc is gonna suck so hard for him this year. We may as well make #ripAMBACROMBIE collages for him in advance of season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It is the best nickname. Sin's pretty great. The whole B-team is pretty great. :3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flatscan posted:

It works better as a lesson too. "I've just put a big loving arrow through your leg and I'm the good guy. Imagine what the bad guys will do to you. Stop getting involved in this poo poo." That of course assumes Roy isn't a complete fuckwit with a deathwish, which unfortunately it appears he is.

NOBODY who gets shot in the body by an arrow would take that lesson to heart unless it is specifically voiced and explained by another person.

Right now all Roy knows is that Arrow's a dick. Felicity knows that, too, but it means something different to the ladies. :heysexy:

What's the AMBA part of ambacrombie in reference to?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Really hope the first thing Roy does is find the Arrow and punch him in the face. The arrow in his leg was suck a dick move.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

NOBODY who gets shot in the body by an arrow would take that lesson to heart unless it is specifically voiced and explained by another person.

Right now all Roy knows is that Arrow's a dick. Felicity knows that, too, but it means something different to the ladies. :heysexy:

What's the AMBA part of ambacrombie in reference to?

Ollie did explain it to him, the Arrow was just trying to keep him safe!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eddain posted:

Ollie did explain it to him, the Arrow was just trying to keep him safe!

That line was great because even Ollie didn't believe his own bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Buffy wasn't really poppy though. It was what Whedon liked and he didn't have awful taste at the time. I still love watching the season 1-3 and looking for the ALL sticker.

Whedon wrote Bif Naked into Buffy. He has terrible taste.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Whedon wrote Bif Naked into Buffy. He has terrible taste.

Wow, okay. I'm just going to...politely disagree with you on this particular specific point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Wow, okay. I'm just going to...politely disagree with you on this particular specific point.

If you like Bif Naked you're supporting terrorism. Bif Naked was Bin Laden's favorite band.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

If you like Bif Naked you're supporting terrorism. Bif Naked was Bin Laden's favorite band.

Man had good taste in music, what can I say?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Man had good taste in music, what can I say?

I'm turning you in.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
whoa whoa WHOA - I'm a Whedon fan bit the man is a feminist and his cd collection is Lilith Fair's Greatest Hits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dead Snoopy posted:

whoa whoa WHOA - I'm a Whedon fan bit the man is a feminist and his cd collection is Lilith Fair's Greatest Hits.

Exactly. I mean there was some good music but far too much of it was sappy bullshit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And I'm all caught up.

It's interesting going back and reading this thread from the beginning having seen the entire run of the show so far and seeing the various reactions and speculations taking place as the first half of S2 went along. "Man, Laurel needs to realize that the reason Tommy died was because her dumb rear end was pulling legal documents out of an earthquake zone." Three episodes in, she admits as much. "Oh, I don't think Arrow is the sort of show where superpowers will fit in all that well." By less than the halfway point of S2 we now have Solomon Grundy, superpowered Deathstroke, the Flash, and the setup for all sorts of superpowered fuckery. Like, they don't just rip that band-aid off, they put it back on and rip it off again. "I hope they reveal Slade is the mastermind behind all of this at the end of the season!" And they reveal it a the midseason break.

Like, even the people in this thread who enthuse over the show's breakneck pace aren't managing to keep up with just how willing this show is to go "Hey guess what? League of Assassins! That's right, Ra's al'Ghul and everything, oh and MALCOM MERLYN IS ALIVE and Thea's his daughter but you probably already guessed that guess it's time for some Count Vertigo and aw he's dead (or is he?) but anyway here, have a two-episode Barry Allan guest spot plus a battle with Solomon Grundy and hey guess who's back, it's Slade and Roy has superpowers now too." It really is astonishing just how densely packed this show manages to be. I mean, this isn't anything you guys haven't talked about a bazillion times but coming into this not knowing anything beyond "TVIV likes this show a lot," I wasn't expecting that sort of constant, barreling development driving things forward and it's really impressive to see something like that unfold.

The second season managed to do something I wasn't sure it could and make me actually interested in Moira and Thea. The development of a Glades-centric B team is a really solid decision on the showrunners' part, and while I thought the whole "Moira Queen on trial for murder" thing was a little too contrived to just relax and let it go, the setup is in place for a payoff that makes it all worthwhile. Laurel is still a weak link as discussed countless times in the thread already (apparently I'm far from the first person to think so), and while I have a lot of confidence in the writers I have a bit less confidence in the actor herself who so far hasn't really impressed me. Part of that is the rest of the cast seem to be in a competition to see who can bring their A-Game the hardest.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Eh, keep in mind that with the "Oh, I don't think Arrow is the sort of show where superpowers will fit in all that well" style posts, most of the thread was fully aware that superpowers were on the agenda. We've known about the Flash spinoff since before the season started, I'm pretty sure.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've always enjoyed Willa Holland (mainly from her stint on The O.C.), and this season has really done wonders for making her likable. She's allowed to criticize Roy's recklessness without making her sound like a nagging shrew.

That is very, very hard to do. Just ask Skyler on Breaking Bad how thin of a line there is between "You're risking your life for something stupid" and "NAG NAG NAG We can't write females worth a drat"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

King of Solomon posted:

Eh, keep in mind that with the "Oh, I don't think Arrow is the sort of show where superpowers will fit in all that well" style posts, most of the thread was fully aware that superpowers were on the agenda. We've known about the Flash spinoff since before the season started, I'm pretty sure.

My point is that when the show decided to finally stop teasing it and get things moving in that direction it didn't gently caress around. In the span of two episodes it gave you serum-enhanced supersoldiers, Barry's revelation that there are strange cases of people and things with unusual powers out there in the wider world, and capped it off with the Flash's origin story. There wasn't really any sort of slow ramp-up where the writers tried to softball it by gradually and cautiously branching out into the superpowered realm, it just dove straight into things and kept going.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Part of that is the rest of the cast seem to be in a competition to see who can bring their A-Game the hardest.

Seriously though. These people are in it to win it. None of this hokey half-assing it because 'lol comic book shows :smug:.' These characters feel like people to me and given the insane balls-to-the-wall lunacy this show puts them through, that is pretty impressive from both a writing and an acting standpoint.

Also, I just caught episode 4 of this season (I missed it when it aired), and I really like the Glades Trio. All three of them play really well off of each other and I'm kind of looking forward to their future misadventures, plus seeing how Roy getting roided is going to affect that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Buffy wasn't really poppy though. It was what Whedon liked and he didn't have awful taste at the time. I still love watching the season 1-3 and looking for the ALL sticker.

If I remember correctly all WB shows had bands on their shows all the time and they would advertise the music at commercial breaks. I think they even wanted it for Veronica Mars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Veronica Mars did have it at least once.

There's that really extended karaoke scene in one episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I think it was the second season, or maybe even late in the first, that had The Dandy Warhols playing at a small venue to an uninterested crowd. The catch, though, is that those guys performed the show's theme song.

Oh, Smallville did that with Remy Zero too -- in the first season finale they played at a school dance. In a small Kansas town. Because they're a tiny garage band who had yet to break out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

There's that really extended karaoke scene in one episode.

That was a chance to get Veronica in the show. I mean like in Buffy when they would have bands at the Bronze.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

I think it was the second season, or maybe even late in the first, that had The Dandy Warhols playing at a small venue to an uninterested crowd. The catch, though, is that those guys performed the show's theme song.

Oh, Smallville did that with Remy Zero too -- in the first season finale they played at a school dance. In a small Kansas town. Because they're a tiny garage band who had yet to break out.

Remy Zero is yet another horrible band that I wish I could forget.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Remy Zero is yet another horrible band that I wish I could forget.

They haven't been active for 10 years except for a brief memorial tour, how can you not forget them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't been active for 10 years except for a brief memorial tour, how can you not forget them?

Did you never watch a single episode of Smallville ever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what DVRs are for.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

Did you never watch a single episode of Smallville ever?

Somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!

*Dramatic turn towards camera, shampoo commerical bounce*

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Whizbang posted:

Wow, I just threw up a little in my mouth, there. Thanks Smallville.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wolvorine posted:

Wow, I just threw up a little in my mouth, there. Thanks Smallville.

You should chew some stride gum to get the taste out!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I had a huge crush on Allison Mack, even though she had fat little arms early on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Whizbang posted:

Smallville had the most godawful theme music ever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Smallville had the most godawful theme music ever.

The only thing I remember about Smallville musically was that they used the original John Williams Superman theme when Christopher Reeve guest-starred which was awesome. Of course that was the only episode of the show I ever saw.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Warmachine posted:

It is the best nickname. Sin's pretty great. The whole B-team is pretty great. :3:
The best part is they didn't bother doing the Thea getting jealous because Sin is a girl and :qq: you have to pick one of us to love, only one! :qq: and decided Thea would just be okay with it and then they all had loving adventures together instead.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just wanted to check in and say I'm 8 eps into Season 1. While there is definite room for improvement, I am digging this show.

Obviously, not wanting to risk spoilers, I'm avoiding the bulk of this thread, and I imagine it's been touched on, but why the hell do Thea Queen and the mom BOTH have freaking moles/marks in the same spot on their lip. It's driving me bananas. What the hell?!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Feenix posted:

Just wanted to check in and say I'm 8 eps into Season 1. While there is definite room for improvement, I am digging this show.

Obviously, not wanting to risk spoilers, I'm avoiding the bulk of this thread, and I imagine it's been touched on, but why the hell do Thea Queen and the mom BOTH have freaking moles/marks in the same spot on their lip. It's driving me bananas. What the hell?!

maybe it's hereditary?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Feenix posted:

Genes I guess. Stephen Amell also has a little mole on his chin. It's a family of moles! Moley moley moley. :D

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It's DC's answer to the Mole Man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spergatory posted:

Genes I guess. Stephen Amell also has a little mole on his chin. It's a family of moles! Moley moley moley. :D

The show should bring in Robbie Amell to play Oliver's cousin, he has a huge drat mole below his lip and its really distracting

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Holy poo poo. I got Injustice (waited for the PS4 version), and while I knew one of Green Arrow's alternates was the Arrow outfit, what I didn't know was that that costume comes with full Stephen Amell voicework.

Amell loving rules, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Drifter posted:

I had a huge crush on Allison Mack, even though she had fat little arms early on.

Allison Mack's arm fat was loving sexy just like everything else about her. She was the only reason to watch anything past season 3 on that god-forsaken show.

• Locked thread