Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I notice you said you had 2 tickets...

So which one of us you bringing with you, huh?

E: Also, on the topic of rye, how about Bulleit Rye? I remember liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
Willet makes the best rye. well hard to find, though

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Willet ages and bottles the best Rye. Bulliet, Willet, hell everything but Rittenhouse (Heaven Hill) is distilled using the same mash bill at Lawrenceburg Distillers Incorporated (LDI) in Indiana. It's then aged and blended to spec to make Redemption Rye, Templeton, High West, Whistlepig, etc.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

Jobs got its perks/get it, girl.

Thanks babe. I can't do hooters for shooters and I don't get to spray people in the face with water off the gun, or tell people to gently caress off anymore, or even slap them in the face with a wet barmat (one of my most satisfying moments ever - the sound is still resonating in my head and it's beautiful) but it's sure nice to feel like im in a job that has an actual future to it for a change. I never saw nightclub bartending as a career of any kind, but doing this fine dining, high end cocktail thing again has kind of reminded me that it maybe can be considered a real, legit job. And the perks are more uhh. Adult. Lets say.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I notice you said you had 2 tickets...

So which one of us you bringing with you, huh?
Whichever one of you looks better in a bikini

and more importantly can keep up with my tequila intake.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Vegetable Melange posted:

Willet ages and bottles the best Rye. Bulliet, Willet, hell everything but Rittenhouse (Heaven Hill) is distilled using the same mash bill at Lawrenceburg Distillers Incorporated (LDI) in Indiana. It's then aged and blended to spec to make Redemption Rye, Templeton, High West, Whistlepig, etc.

Just some nitpicks: Whistlepig buys stock from Alberta Distillers and ages it in Vermont; there's also a recent high end release called Lock, Stock, and Barrel that does the same thing. Jefferson's and Masterson's too; though I don't remember if Jefferson's switched suppliers recently.

Beam Global makes their own rye that they release under Jim Beam, Old Overholt, Knob Creek, and (ri)1 (ew) if they still make it.

Buffalo Trace does the Sazerac, Van Winkle, and Thomas Handy expressions.

I do wish the bottlers were more forthcoming about using MGP/LDI whiskey, though I've liked the High West blends and Bulleit Rye well enough.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a glass of Pappy Van Winkle maybe ten years ago and it is the only thing I've ever had where I was truly blown away. No wine, no gin, no cognac has ever provoked that kind of reaction, only certain fresh field ripened fruits and a few cooked meals.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 21, 2013

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

nrr posted:

I'll have you know my androgynous, yet male body looks fantastic in a bikini, and tequila consumption is not a problem for me. Nay, a solution, in fact.

No, but seriously, that is a loving awesome coincidence, those two tips. I hope you have a poo poo ton of fun and some more. There doesn't seem to be any especially high class places around me, specifically. I could travel about an hour either east or west and get to the Hamptons or NYC and maybe, MAYBE find something there, but I can't help but feel I'll be outclassed by the competition.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Tom Rakewell posted:

Just some nitpicks...(ri)1 (ew)

I stand corrected, I was quickposting while drinking, I believe. The (ri)1 is, in fact, horrendous.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
In case anyone is wondering the OP is not in fact dead. I've just been bitching about my new job in a different sub forum. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593658 Keep fighting the good fight. God knows I'll be back behind the wood one of these days.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
If you haven't tried it yet, sub Cocchi Americano for Lillet in your next Corpse Reviver No. 2, it is goddamn insane. Turns it all flowery and light and tropical; it's a really nice variation. Also got introduced to adding a small pinch of salt to Negronis, and I'm now a fan.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

If you haven't tried it yet, sub Cocchi Americano for Lillet in your next Corpse Reviver No. 2, it is goddamn insane. Turns it all flowery and light and tropical; it's a really nice variation. Also got introduced to adding a small pinch of salt to Negronis, and I'm now a fan.

Old school Lillet, or Kina Lillet, was bittered with cinchona bark, and a lot more like Cocchi Americano is now, not the more syrupy version of Lillet we have now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nrr posted:

I look like poo poo in a bikini, but I'll outdrink anyone here.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

This might be the only group of people that I know where I would actually be hesitant to accept that challenge.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

hot. call me.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

How's everyone feeling about tonight? I love working NYE and can't wait for the killer staff party afterwards (we shut on the 1st) we're we try to make it to breakfast at the place over the road.

Christmas sucked though. I hate office parties. I hate people who used to drink a poo poo-ton coming out of the woodwork for 2 weeks a year and being idiots. Can't wait for everything to go back to normal in Jan.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
NYE is right up there with St. Patrick's Day for days you'd think would be awesome, but generally aren't.

I mean, it's on a Tuesday this year, which means extra cash regardless, but you get a lot of people that typically don't go out for drinking coming out and they usually peace out by 12:30.

At least around here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a bartender any more but I hope everyone here makes a G tonight.

Maybe this would help?!

(Had to take that real quick before it was hidden away on me.)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

gently caress. my. anus.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

gently caress. my. anus.

This wasn't part of the deal for the Mexico trip...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

This wasn't part of the deal for the Mexico trip...

Pretty sure that was part of the deal for the Mexico trip.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Mexico might as well be on Uranus right now because there's no way Im gonna be able to get time off to tale that trip for months at the moment.

13 hours on NYE was to be expected, but having to back up and do it all over again on new years day with barely any break between is just rude.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Are there many Australian bartenders around here? I’ll be moving up to Melbourne for university, and it’s been something I’ve wanted to do for the last couple of years but I’m not entirely sure how to get started really. I’ve read through the old thread as well as this one, but I’m not sure if there is much of a difference between US and Australian bars - should I be looking at barbacking to get my foot in the door (totally okay with doing this long term too), or is that something mostly unique to America? Additionally, should look at getting a responsible serving of alcohol certificate independently, or would that be a waste of money assuming I’d be looking at bar backing first (is having the certificate on my cv worth the cost of doing it right away I guess)?

I do have a years full-time work experience plus odd jobs through school, but nothing in hospitality, though I’ll probably end up working at a family friends café for a month or two over summer.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Get your RSA straight up. Pretty much everyone in Australia has an RSA and I don't think we really do designated barbacks.
We also have 2 cafes per person in this city so its worthwhile learning how to tamp and use an espresso machine.
Also hit up the Australia Thread.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

andelazo posted:

Are there many Australian bartenders around here? I’ll be moving up to Melbourne for university, and it’s been something I’ve wanted to do for the last couple of years but I’m not entirely sure how to get started really. I’ve read through the old thread as well as this one, but I’m not sure if there is much of a difference between US and Australian bars - should I be looking at barbacking to get my foot in the door (totally okay with doing this long term too), or is that something mostly unique to America? Additionally, should look at getting a responsible serving of alcohol certificate independently, or would that be a waste of money assuming I’d be looking at bar backing first (is having the certificate on my cv worth the cost of doing it right away I guess)?

I do have a years full-time work experience plus odd jobs through school, but nothing in hospitality, though I’ll probably end up working at a family friends café for a month or two over summer.

One massive cultural difference - tipping is nowhere near as prevalent in Australia. To counter that you'll get a wage that's at least theoretically possible to live on.

(Theoretically.)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thel posted:

(Theoretically.)
Seriously? Before I left (almost 10 years ago now,) I was on $19/hr weekday, 24ish Saturday and around 29 on sundays. I know inflation has gone through the roof since then, and that was hardly an entry level rate but are you guys seriously having that much trouble scraping by as aussie bartenders?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Thel posted:

One massive cultural difference - tipping is nowhere near as prevalent in Australia. To counter that you'll get a wage that's at least theoretically possible to live on.

(Theoretically.)

"Theoretically"? You have to have very bad money management skills or be living in Sydney to not be able to afford to live on even a part-time bartender's wage.

"Tipping" and "Barbacking" are things I only discovered through this thread (thankfully before I visited the US, otherwise I'd have inadvertently not tipped dozens of bartenders because nobody tells you how systematically underpaid US bartenders are) - apart from drunkenly generous or drunkenly flirtatious customers, don't expect tips, even in the form of "keep the change" from a $19.50 order.

Get good at coffee. Everyone in Melbourne knows how to make a better coffee than you, and you'll be held to Melbourne standards.

Managers will skip over most of your resume the first time they read it to get to the certificates and qualifications section to see if you have an RSA - if you don't, it goes straight in the bin.

Unless the bar actually advertises itself as a cocktail bar, it's unlikely that you'll make many cocktails at all, and customers will be fine with having to explain the recipe to you or waiting for you to look it up. The important things are being able to pour a good beer about 200 times in an hour, move quickly and unobtrusively, and be friendly even when customers are being self-entitled fucks.

The cafe experience is good and should be highlighted - a lot of the skills you'll need are very similar between the two jobs.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

As an aside to Melbournes Insane coffee affair, Starbucks essentially got chased out of this town by independents and the local franchise (the local franchise is crap by melbourne standards, but was still better). The only place where starbucks survives now is in university districts, preying on the international students, and that's three, maybe four stores. This is how important being familiar with an espresso machine is. In the little shopping strip down the road from me, which is all of 300m long, has at least ten cafes.

Im not sure if its still there, but there is a little bartending school in the CBD here that does weekend courses for RSA certs. It should only set you back a couple hundred bucks. I went there but that was 10 years ago, so it may be gone now.

Fake Edit:

nope they are still there, they do barista courses now too. Link below:
http://vicbarschool.rtrk.com.au/

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

andelazo posted:

Get an RSA before you do a thing. Probably should get an RCG too in case you need to work somewhere with pokies. I don't work in the city so I'm sure things with be a bit different there, but from what I have seen going to clubs in Sydney bar backs seem to be common, so you'll probably need to be a poo poo kicker for awhile to get your foot in the door there. If you try some smaller cocktail bars or regular bars you might have more chance of getting picked up as a bartender. It seems like 80% of bartenders in Syd are hot Scandinavians but I'm not sure how it is in Melbourne.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Question for UK bartenders, as an Aussie you hear alot about how its easy to get a job behind a bar in the UK by being Australian. Is this true? If I roll into England with a work visa, a charming Aussie accent and 2 years experience bartending how likely am I to get a job? Wouldn't mind being barback just need money to fuel my European adventures.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Question for UK bartenders, as an Aussie you hear alot about how its easy to get a job behind a bar in the UK by being Australian. Is this true? If I roll into England with a work visa, a charming Aussie accent and 2 years experience bartending how likely am I to get a job? Wouldn't mind being barback just need money to fuel my European adventures.

Where in England?

If you are basing yourself anywhere near central London I'd say it'd be almost that easy. Be prepared for £6 an hour and no real tips to speak of though.

Obviously have enough money to survive a month or so without the job too. It's there, but may take a few weeks to find.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Masonity posted:

Where in England?

If you are basing yourself anywhere near central London I'd say it'd be almost that easy. Be prepared for £6 an hour and no real tips to speak of though.

Obviously have enough money to survive a month or so without the job too. It's there, but may take a few weeks to find.

Jesus, £6 is a bit rough, but I guess cost of living is a lot lower. I'm thinking London, but I'm not sure of the logistics of living in the city and earning enough to actually put some away. I have more than enough money to do my Europe trip, I kinda just wanted to experience the UK while earning. I'm assuming there's a UK thread somewhere, I'll ask more questions there.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Jesus, £6 is a bit rough, but I guess cost of living is a lot lower. I'm thinking London, but I'm not sure of the logistics of living in the city and earning enough to actually put some away. I have more than enough money to do my Europe trip, I kinda just wanted to experience the UK while earning. I'm assuming there's a UK thread somewhere, I'll ask more questions there.

If you are happy to flat share I'm sure it's doable.

I can also give you a tip on a great pub that will be hiring for the summer (last year we were doing £30k days) which pays £6.50-£7 an hour plus service. And the service was usually around £2-£4 an hour. So up to double other places wages. I'm not working there now though so I can't really pull a favour to get you an interview. I can give you all the tips to have a great chance though. Unfortunately it's likely to still come down to if they are hiring precisely when you go in and / or who's working (and if they like the look of you) though.

There are ways to live cheaply in London though. A flat share in a student area should be around £100-£150 a week I think. Add in £30 or so travel and £70 food and that's around £200-£250 a week. If you got in at my old place then 25-30 hours would cover that after tax with any extra hours going into the have fun kitty.

At a lovely £6 an hour place 30-40 would probably just keep you afloat

Masonity fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 4, 2014

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll be looking at doing some training the week after next once work finishes up for good.

Plotterboy posted:

Im not sure if its still there, but there is a little bartending school in the CBD here that does weekend courses for RSA certs. It should only set you back a couple hundred bucks. I went there but that was 10 years ago, so it may be gone now.

Fake Edit:

nope they are still there, they do barista courses now too. Link below:
http://vicbarschool.rtrk.com.au/

Do you actually recommend doing the bartender course itself though? The RSAs on their own seem to be around $50 to $70, and I know bartending schools tend to have a bad rap around here.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

andelazo posted:

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll be looking at doing some training the week after next once work finishes up for good.

Do you actually recommend doing the bartender course itself though? The RSAs on their own seem to be around $50 to $70, and I know bartending schools tend to have a bad rap around here.

I did the weekend course like 10 years ago there, so I'm probably hellishly out of date. It was pretty good, considering what they stuffed into that weekend course, and was run by an old barkeep who didn't want to work nights anymore. The place has a full mock bar setup, which is always interesting. Whatever way you like, but things may and probably will be different here than from the states, and it may be worthwhile brushing up.

Fuckface the Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 5, 2014

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Masonity posted:

If you are happy to flat share I'm sure it's doable.

I can also give you a tip on a great pub that will be hiring for the summer (last year we were doing £30k days) which pays £6.50-£7 an hour plus service. And the service was usually around £2-£4 an hour. So up to double other places wages. I'm not working there now though so I can't really pull a favour to get you an interview. I can give you all the tips to have a great chance though. Unfortunately it's likely to still come down to if they are hiring precisely when you go in and / or who's working (and if they like the look of you) though.

There are ways to live cheaply in London though. A flat share in a student area should be around £100-£150 a week I think. Add in £30 or so travel and £70 food and that's around £200-£250 a week. If you got in at my old place then 25-30 hours would cover that after tax with any extra hours going into the have fun kitty.

At a lovely £6 an hour place 30-40 would probably just keep you afloat

Thanks man any tips about good places to stick my head in would be much appreciated. Tips on living/working London would be welcome too. All my knowledge of the UK is from Top Gear and QI.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
Might be a good idea to hit up the LAN thread for this: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032504

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Anyone know of any books detailing a storied bar's history? I'm currently going through a history of P.J. Clarke's and was wondering if there are any other books of a similar bent out there that anyone might know of.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Perdido posted:

Anyone know of any books detailing a storied bar's history? I'm currently going through a history of P.J. Clarke's and was wondering if there are any other books of a similar bent out there that anyone might know of.

It isn't the same, but in the seventies or eighties a guy published a sociological study of one working class bar in Wisconsin. Blue Collar Aristocrats By E E Lemasters. It is a quick read, but incredibly interesting. I will note, I used to frequent the bar in the study and worked at many bars nearby it from '03 - '11, so I don't have an entirely unbiased opinion of the book.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My bar is pretty low lit, so I'm trying to find good stuff to illuminate our tip jars (drat broke rear end college kids on Thursdays...), anybody have any recommendations? I can't find any LED lit tip jars and I got these off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OMR2C6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put three in each jar and they just aren't bright enough. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Perdido posted:

I haven't read it, but there aren't a lot of bars more storied than Harry's Bar in Venice.

No clue if it's good, though, good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Harrys-Bar-Legendary-Venice-Landmark/dp/B00A16L4XU

• Locked thread