Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

gently caress computers man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait woah I leave this thread for a couple weeks and now Aatrek is the Great Satan?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait woah I leave this thread for a couple weeks and now Aatrek is the Great Satan?

:can:

Turns out he was a big fan of The Next Generation.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

He raped a kid.

That isn't a joke.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Arglebargle III posted:

Aatrek repeatedly raped an 8 year old he was babysitting in his teens. He did time in jail. People found out about it and got mad and he got banned from SA and that dumb Star Trek site he was always shilling for.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Serella posted:

Everyone in Star Trek is a hipster. Jadzia plays tongo, Bashir pretends to be a 1960s spy in the holosuite, Nog becomes the only Ferengi in Starfleet, Picard studies obscure alien anthropology, Data writes cat poems, Paris watches tv... They have to come up with all these weird ways to either live anachronistically or make themselves stand out from everyone else because everything is handed to them and it's so easy to end up just being the guy who stands in front of a console and eats replicated food and dies on away missions.

So basically the same as hipsters now but in space.

No, it's better. Normal, lazy slacker stuff that we're into now is the COOL and INTERESTING thing to do in the future. It's sort of like the Simpsons episode where Bart daydreams about being in the future and everyone amazed by his everyday, present day, abilities.

"Oh, man, I wish I lived in the future, where sitting around and playing 1990s video games are seen as some lost vintage and respectable hobby to have a fascination with that would make me instantly interesting and popular to respectable people. OH! I wonder what the future would think of my animes and Anne Rice novels!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The thing Troi is most useful for is lighting up cigarettes between takes, bringing her tiny dog to set, drinking a bunch of beer, and otherwise being a loving hooligan right up until the director says action.

Man, I wish Troi had turned out more like Marina :allears:

I still sort of think that if Trek were made today a better use of the character might have been to have had her and Guinan switch positions and augment their roles a bit. Guinan is something like a member of the Federation Diplomatic Corps or something.

Troi is the ship's barmaid. She's young, flirty, and has an empathic power that lends itself for being able to sense what the people want or need when they're in Ten-Forward, playing matchmaker, trying to tease an emotion out of Data, etc.

1st AD posted:

So, Galaxy's Child. Ignoring the creepy Geordi stuff, Troi has the most useless ability ever. What good is an empath if you can't tell that an alien thing is feeling threatened? She could've warned them to back the gently caress off. But she sucks and is useless, so

You know, you'd think there's be a LOT more species out there than just a few who are pretty offended at someone reading their feelings. Imagine if you put in a long, hard day of kissing people's asses and just trying to avoid conflict, then you have someone chime in with, "I sense he's being insincere about being pleased to see us."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think Troi's powers only work properly in Troi episodes. Take "The Price" for example, where she's able to detect the Ferengi captain's total lack of tension and then expose his partnership with her boyfriend, Smarmy McSmarm.

She really did have bad luck with love interests. Between that guy and the dude from "The Masterpiece Society," it's almost as if casting went out of their way to find the cheesiest actors possible for those roles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reckon if they hadn't given her powers they might have used her properly. As it was, they so defined her the writers always focused on those and just forgot to use her as a psychological and cultural expert and advisor.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
To be fair, even she forgets that. The episode with the 2D aliens has her trying to quit as soon as she can't lean on her Betazoidy abilities.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hitler had a pretty good eye for architectural drawing. :sigh:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I have a dear friend who is an ardent Voyager apologist. He even posts on these forums. I will not name and shame.

I tried to give it a fair shake for his sake, but the best praise I could muster was that some of the characters were pretty okay if you try to mentally adjust for the bad writing (Tuvok, Janeway, and Paris mostly), and I think if the writing were less bad and more consistent and the dialogue less wooden they would approach "likable."

So this is how you talk about your buddy who gets you Attack Wing templates with the Federation insignia engraved on them for Christmas...

I enjoy Voyager. I'm not ashamed of that. And calling me an apologist is dumb when I have acknowledged the show's flaws a bunch of times.

You're a butt.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So this is how you talk about your buddy who gets you Attack Wing templates with the Federation insignia engraved on them for Christmas...

I enjoy Voyager. I'm not ashamed of that. And calling me an apologist is dumb when I have acknowledged the show's flaws a bunch of times.

You're a butt.

You did not acknowledge them hard enough.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Do you see? Voyager has now destroyed your friendship.

Do you see?

Do you see?!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

You did not acknowledge them hard enough.

When the E finally gets released, I am going to use the Voyager to destroy you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

When the E finally gets released, I am going to use the Voyager to destroy you.

I'm going to drop some E when Voyager is released and totally hug you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I'm going to drop some E when Voyager is released and totally hug you.

Oh cool, we can watch those episodes that you admitted to enjoying in chat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You like Voyager? What is wrong with you?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's just seen the dozen or so really good episodes over and over.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Maybe it's just stockholm syndrome.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LeafyOrb posted:

I always loved how loving delusional Kai Winn was. The final season of DS9 when she finally realizes that she wasn't one of the good guys was the greatest thing. How do you get introduced by blowing up school and still think you are fighting the good fight.

She's Rick Perry.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

LeafyOrb posted:

I always loved how loving delusional Kai Winn was. The final season of DS9 when she finally realizes that she wasn't one of the good guys was the greatest thing. How do you get introduced by blowing up school and still think you are fighting the good fight.

She's the Pope of Bajor. She spent her whole life in the priesthood, working towards that position, and then BAM! Space Jesus appears, and it turns out he's not Bajoran. It's gotta mess with you pretty badly.

Plus, she killed Billy Bibbet.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

1st AD posted:

How did I never notice that Patricia Tallman was in like every Star Trek?

I stared at this lady's face for a good couple of minutes thinking to myself damnit she looks familiar. Then it hit me, she was the female Romulan/time alien in TNG Timescape!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

I stared at this lady's face for a good couple of minutes thinking to myself damnit she looks familiar. Then it hit me, she was the female Romulan/time alien in TNG Timescape!

I think most of us remember her from Babylon 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usETDxb2jU&t=45s

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Alright, you bastard, now you've got me jonesing for some B5 all over again. I was getting all mentally ready to watch, like, Charmed or some dumb poo poo, I can't even remember, but now it's the last, best hope... for peace.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

It's such a shame that Netflix doesn't carry B5 anymore. Any of it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

edit: there are some kind of rights shenanigans happening with Warner Bros. because the last time I saw B5 streaming was the first 1.5 seasons on Hulu about 5 years ago.

So it turns out that gingers have some kind of magic fountain of youth poo poo going on because look at Tallman at 56 :stare:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

That might be plain ol' physical fitness; she was a stuntwoman for quite some time, and she looks not much chunkier there than she did 20 years ago.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Exhibit B, one Cheryl Gates McFadden:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of people with creepy obsessions with Blu-Ray releases, have there been any updates on DS9 getting a release?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Speaking of people with creepy obsessions with Blu-Ray releases, have there been any updates on DS9 getting a release?

TNG Season 5 just got released last month, and Enterprise Season 4 is coming out in April 2014. Personally, I'm not expecting any substantial news on DS9 BluRay releases for another year. Last major news was the discovery of a bunch of art assets back in March I think.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wonder why they're taking so long on Enterprise - everything was already mastered in HD and the HD versions have been available on Netflix forever.

I seriously doubt DS9 or Voyager will get a remaster though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1st AD posted:

Exhibit B, one Cheryl Gates McFadden:

She was McFadden's stunt double. Anyone have the shot of all the stunt doubles on the bridge of the Enterprise?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

You like Voyager? What is wrong with you?

I suffer from the same affliction as people who think the Prophets storyline is anything but complete bullshit.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

She was McFadden's stunt double. Anyone have the shot of all the stunt doubles on the bridge of the Enterprise?

They needed a stunt double for action shots? How loving hard is it to dive under a very slowly closing door?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DemeaninDemon posted:

They needed a stunt double for action shots? How loving hard is it to dive under a very slowly closing door?

If I'm remembering correctly Sirtis once said she tried doing an action shot that her stunt double was supposed to do (fall backwards to the ground and faint) and she broke her coccyx. Actors have delicate bones

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Stunt people are good at falling. Actors aren't.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A stunt double will know how to land properly without breaking poo poo, and is also going to be stronger and in better physical shape so that a tiny little fall won't break their poo poo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Farecoal posted:

If I'm remembering correctly Sirtis once said she tried doing an action shot that her stunt double was supposed to do (fall backwards to the ground and faint) and she broke her coccyx. Actors have delicate bones

She was probably drunk off her tits on bourbon is the thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farecoal posted:

If I'm remembering correctly Sirtis once said she tried doing an action shot that her stunt double was supposed to do (fall backwards to the ground and faint) and she broke her coccyx.

Luckily, they just waved a blinking LED over it three times and it was healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also a stuntperson getting a big ol knot on their forehead or a black eye or worse won't gently caress up shooting as bad as it would the actor. You've only got one Patrick Stewart to shoot around for the close up dialogue scenes, but you can put a bald cap on practically any motherfucker for a two second medium shot of him jumping behind a rock or whatever.

• Locked thread