Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What the gently caress is American cuisine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

barcoded posted:

Firstly, biltong: Nobody knows why its called that.

Biltong means butt tongue in Dutch :eng101: So I don't know what you South-africans do with your cows, but it might give a clue about the name :v:

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

bringmyfishback posted:

I think the food that is the most uniquely American is Cajun/Creole cuisine and soul food.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

bringmyfishback posted:

Johnny Rockets.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

central dogma posted:

I think the food that is the most uniquely American is Cajun/Creole cuisine and soul food.

Spicy fried everything, then?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PiratePing posted:

American cuisine you say? Bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with mac&cheese. :911:

Chicken cordon code-blue

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

PiratePing posted:

From what I've seen from hanging out in GWS either Americans are taught to be extremely panicky about food safety or your food is just less safe than ours.

I made home-made filet américain with frites for an American friend one time and he put it in his mouth like it was a live granade or something. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the fresh mayo he was shovelling into his face involved raw eggs :mmmhmm:

Not american. Also, originally coming from southeast asia means we don't really have any cultural dishes that are not cooked. That being said, I enjoy all kinds of sushi these days. Sashimi, too.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

PiratePing posted:

American cuisine you say? Bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with mac&cheese. :911:
The second I saw this, all moisture in my mouth disappeared; my tongue shriveled like a scared slug. This thing looks drier than the Gobi.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kinmik posted:

The second I saw this, all moisture in my mouth disappeared; my tongue shriveled like a scared slug. This thing looks drier than the Gobi.

And I'm pretty certain that's the pasta from the 99 cent blue easy mac boxes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I found this thread when I'd caught up on my bookmarks and was browsing PYF for something new and interesting. Two days and 61 pages later, I'm ready to contribute a dish of my own:

Looks like noodles! Tastes a lot like noodles, too, tossed in olive oil and garlic. I quite liked it.

It's baby eels.

On my first trip to Japan, we were eating at a Korean BBQ place when I picked up this one piece of meat from the brazier. My host sister started gesturing to her mouth. I told her, "But it's too hot to eat," so she suggested I dip it in raw egg first (something else that took getting used to) while she flipped through her pocket dictionary. I did, and popped the slice in my mouth. Meanwhile, she had found the word she'd been looking for: "Tongue," she informed me. "That was tongue." I swallowed very carefully and said, "Oh. Was it? Interesting." :geno:

I've since tried other kinds of offal at yakiniku places and elsewhere, including intestines, that make me happy to have tongue as an alternative. It was a nice piece of meat, as these things go.

I had whale bacon once, because I liked bacon (this was before the whole bacon thing blew up). It was gross.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

I found this thread when I'd caught up on my bookmarks and was browsing PYF for something new and interesting. Two days and 61 pages later, I'm ready to contribute a dish of my own:

Looks like noodles! Tastes a lot like noodles, too, tossed in olive oil and garlic. I quite liked it.

It's baby eels.

People make pancakes out of white bait, too. It looks so innocent.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I feel so bad for them, they're so tiny, and there are so many!(they must be delicious) Though tongue really isn't all that exotic. In rural America, it is still semi-common.

I thought of something that may be American- cornbread! Do other cultures eat that? Where I'm from, we pair it with pinto beans a bunch.

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.

pentyne posted:

Applebee's and Red Robin. That's as traditional American as it gets, and its all borderline garbage.

There are incredibly great regional cuisines, like Creole, Southern style, BBQ, New England seafood, etc. But there will never be an American-style restaurant in other countries that is anything more then a joke or a local curiosity. The only exception is a American Steakhouse, which seems to be fairly popular theme but heavily depends on the quality of the meat being served.

What are you talking about? American style-restaurants are popular all over the world, they're called McDonald's and KFC. In all seriousness though, American style burger-joints and diners often gain a lot of traction, and even McD's and KFC get imitators. The classic 50's diner is probably the most iconic home of non-regional American cuisine though. Meatloaf... burgers and shakes; pancakes and hash-browns etc.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

It's baby eels.

Fun fact: due to its high price and scarcity, most white bait is made of fish paste substitute. Kinda like surimi.

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Dec 22, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DoctorPresident posted:

Fun fact: due to its high price and scarcity, most white bait is made of fish paste substitute. Kinda like surimi.

Do you have a source for that? Wikipedia isn't showing anything and whenever I've had whitebait it looks like a pile of baby fish so I'm having a hard time figuring out how they would make 'whitebait' out of fish paste.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

Though tongue really isn't all that exotic. In rural America, it is still semi-common.

Right, beef tongue is a semi-common dish in plenty of Western countries. In Belgium, it is usually served with Madeira sauce:

It's alright, but I tend to get tired of the texture after a while.

Dr. Jamming posted:

What are you talking about? American style-restaurants are popular all over the world, they're called McDonald's and KFC. In all seriousness though, American style burger-joints and diners often gain a lot of traction, and even McD's and KFC get imitators. The classic 50's diner is probably the most iconic home of non-regional American cuisine though. Meatloaf... burgers and shakes; pancakes and hash-browns etc.

Of course, and I bet there are plenty of typically American dishes beyond what is exported to the rest of the world. Even though it's meant as a self-deprecating joke, the insistence that there is no such thing as American cuisine is actually ridiculously Americentric, as if American culinary habits are completely neutral and lack specific characteristics.

On a similar note, I really, really hate the term 'ethnic' used in this context.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Raw pork and raw egg. They were trying to die of everything.
This is eggedosis:

It's basically raw eggs mixed with sugar. Delicious and surprisingly non-lethal.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Dec 22, 2013

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Phlegmish posted:

Of course, and I bet there are plenty of typically American dishes beyond what is exported to the rest of the world. Even though it's meant as a self-deprecating joke, the insistence that there is no such thing as American cuisine is actually ridiculously Americentric, as if American culinary habits are completely neutral and lack specific characteristics.

On a similar note, I really, really hate the term 'ethnic' used in this context.

For example: most people I know (myself included) have never had something as simple as blueberry pancakes with maple syrup. Dutch pancakes are much bigger and flatter, our toppings are different, we use sugarbeet syrup and we only eat them for dinner. It illustrates a cultural difference too because Dutch people might think Americans are decadent for having a dinner item for breakfast while Americans would probably think it's pretty decadent to have breakfast for dinner.

I've never had hashbrowns or beef jerkey, American barbeque sauce was unknown to me until recently (except as that magical sweet marinade on spare ribs), even our bacon is different. Your normal food IS your local cuisine V:shobon:V

E: Also pecan pie, pumpkin pie, roasted turkey, cranberry sauce, key lime pie...

Deep dish pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers and American muffins are popular american foods in Europe, they might not be fancy but then again pasta isn't fancy to Italians and no one would deny that pasta is part of Italian cuisine.

PiratePing has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Dec 22, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hirayuki posted:

On my first trip to Japan, we were eating at a Korean BBQ place when I picked up this one piece of meat from the brazier. My host sister started gesturing to her mouth. I told her, "But it's too hot to eat," so she suggested I dip it in raw egg first (something else that took getting used to) while she flipped through her pocket dictionary. I did, and popped the slice in my mouth. Meanwhile, she had found the word she'd been looking for: "Tongue," she informed me. "That was tongue." I swallowed very carefully and said, "Oh. Was it? Interesting." :geno:

Try some tongue tacos. It's nothing strange or exotic here in the whole American continent.

Orasmis
Dec 30, 2008
People say that I'm cruel but I'm really not. I have the heart of a child.... in a jar.... on my desk.

Desperado Bones posted:

Try some tongue tacos. It's nothing strange or exotic here in the whole American continent.

I've had tongue tacos before. I don't know if it was because I had bad ones but the texture was amazingly off putting to me. It kind of reminded me of liver/beef jello.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

cyberia posted:

Do you have a source for that? Wikipedia isn't showing anything and whenever I've had whitebait it looks like a pile of baby fish so I'm having a hard time figuring out how they would make 'whitebait' out of fish paste.

It's mostly the white wormy looking one known in spanish as Angula, the substitute looks exactly the same and it's called "Gula".

Translated from Wikipedia in spanish:

quote:

High prices for eels in the fish markets, coupled with the scarcity of eels in the rivers, have made a substitute made ​​from surimi become very popular. It is popularly known as "gula", a name that really belongs to a particular brand of that product. To produce a kilo of surimi five kilos of fish are needed. The food industry has been slowly improving the qualities and similarities, and have long been major substitutes that mimic the colors and gray eyes of the original eel.

A recipe made with Angulas:

The same recipe, this time with Gulas:

As you can see, you would need a very trained palate in order to spot the difference.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm not sure I'm thinking of the same whitebait as you are:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
^^After more reading, it seems that white bait seems to be a catchall term for the immature fry of fish. The exact names for the angulas in english is Elvers:

quote:

Elvers are young eels. Traditionally, fishermen consumed elvers as a cheap dish, but environmental changes have reduced eel populations. Similar to whitebait, they are now considered a delicacy and are priced at up to 1000 euro per kilogram. Spain has eel dishes, called "angulas", which are baby eels usually served sauteed in olive oil, garlic and a chili pepper. Elvers are now very expensive. A small serving of angulas can cost equivalent of $US100, and there are imitation angulas which can be purchased cheaply.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah these are whitebait in england, not baby eel. Whitebait are baby fish in general but no way would eel be included these days, far too rare and expensive.

Also since baby eel became very fashionable tapas a decade or two ago, eel numbers have absolutely crashed.

edit: beaten.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Well, I'll be damned. I dug up the restaurant menu to check the price of those baby eels, and sure enough, they were listed as "gulas". :saddowns: They were still tasty.

As for my first experience with the "exotic" tongue, I grew up middle- to upper-middle-class in the northern Midwest U.S., where I still live. I had never even had an opportunity to try tongue until it wound up on my chopsticks in Japan when I was 16, nor was it part of my parents' solidly middle-class childhoods. It just depends on your upbringing. Happily, we've all expanded our palates far beyond our Midwestern roots.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

I can't tell the lighting or the food itself makes it look bad :stare:

Aphtonites has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Dec 23, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In good, not-horror-movie lighting those would be slightly misshapen but perfectly edible pancakes, not pressed flesh discs drizzled with blood.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

xoFcitcrA posted:

Looks familiar.

Yes, anyway, I came here to post this patent application I found:

quote:

United States Patent D312,719
Kempher December 11, 1990

Inventor: Robert M. Kempher
Original Assignee: Sara Lee Corporation
Primary Examiner: Terry A. Pfeffer
Current U.S. Classification: D01/101

Combined hot dog and pretzel

Claims:
The ornamental design for a combined hot dog and pretzel, as shown.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

twoday posted:

Yes, anyway, I came here to post this patent application I found:

That drawing looks like poop on a stick but pretzel dogs are great

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

barcoded posted:

I have three foods to share with you today from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Firstly, biltong: Nobody knows why its called that. Its a salt-dried meat, something like a very high quality coriander seed flavoured jerky, but a lot drier. Its either served sliced from a slab of biltong that was once a fillet, or in a dried sausage form. Due to the fact that it looks like bark, is dried raw meat, and is typically not packaged at all, foreigners have a hard time dealing with it.

Biltong, ready to be sliced. The seam of fat along the side is DELICIOUS.

Droewors (dried sausage)

In Norway it's called spekeskine and spekepølse and it does not belong in this thread:

Fancy Molasses
Jul 15, 2009
Masala Coke

This was served with desert at my friend's wedding in Kolkata. I'm not sure what particular blend of spices they used, but it tasted more or less like someone crushed a bunch of bouillon cubes into a glass of coke. The stuff we had also had more green in it, which may have been mint and/or cilantro.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Fancy Molasses posted:

Masala Coke

This was served with desert at my friend's wedding in Kolkata. I'm not sure what particular blend of spices they used, but it tasted more or less like someone crushed a bunch of bouillon cubes into a glass of coke. The stuff we had also had more green in it, which may have been mint and/or cilantro.

This poo poo is delicious yo. They put things like chat masala, rock salt, lemon, pepper, mint and so on into the coke, or just plain soda, so you get a salty, spicy flavour to go with the sugar in the coke.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Aphtonites posted:

I can't tell the lighting or the food itself makes it look bad :stare:

The lighting makes it look like a savoury dish. The serrated knife next to it doesn't help. Only after examining it long and hard do you understand that its perfectly harmless pancakes with chocolate syrup instead of brown gravy.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In Norway it's called spekeskine and spekepølse and it does not belong in this thread:

Eate all the meates. There was a salami I had a while back, from a Polish guy. He called it "old trivoli", said it was aged in a cotton sheath. It was the most flavourful, but borderline dangerous salami I've ever eaten. It made my tongue go numb at first (probably a bad sign). hosed if I can find it again.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

barcoded posted:

Eate all the meates. There was a salami I had a while back, from a Polish guy. He called it "old trivoli", said it was aged in a cotton sheath. It was the most flavourful, but borderline dangerous salami I've ever eaten. It made my tongue go numb at first (probably a bad sign). hosed if I can find it again.

I have a feeling the cotton sheath was a sock. Actually though, I've had authentic sausage that made my tongue feel numb too, that's really weird.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

This poo poo is delicious yo. They put things like chat masala, rock salt, lemon, pepper, mint and so on into the coke, or just plain soda, so you get a salty, spicy flavour to go with the sugar in the coke.

You're not really doing the drink any favors by describing it more accurately. :barf:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Jonny Nox posted:

Man you got me looking at videos of butchery, which was kind of neat.

But the state of the art automated lamb boning system is creepy just because the robots move like something out of the creepiest sci-fi horror films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZIv6WtSF9I

That being said, the first part where the bottom half of the carcass is run though an x-ray to figure out where to cut? Tickles the nerdiest part of me.

Just like... imagine being sedated but it didnt take right... so your concious as the wirring blades kick in... the cold methodical way it turns your limp body as it scans your flesh... you have but a moment to silently pray to a deity you no longer believe... then the cutting starts...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jimson posted:

Just like... imagine being sedated but it didnt take right... so your concious as the wirring blades kick in... the cold methodical way it turns your limp body as it scans your flesh... you have but a moment to silently pray to a deity you no longer believe... then the cutting starts...

I don't think there are a lot of sheep on the Something Awful forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jimson posted:

I don't know, I think it's almost beautiful in a way. That sort of deathly focused speed and precision, something that's on a level that could never possibly exist in nature, is amazing to see.

My favorite part was at the where they used the knife arm to cut out the big chunk of spine, or whatever it was. It just starts jabbing it into the thing, and before you know it the lamb falls apart with the one section of bone being perfectly removed.

• Locked thread