Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, if you aren't all 100 level dudes. Spiderman is the god-drat best. I just laboriously (probably 20-30 minutes) took down the 180 Yelena/175Hulk/180 Venom team with 53 Spiderman/31 Modern Storm/27 Captain America. It's crazy how much higher you can win against with spiderman lock down, and I only have him at 2/3/1 with x/5/x he would be twice as easy to lock with. How has he not been nerfed?

As an aside, I also kind of wish I built my storm 5/5/3 instead of 5/4/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just picked up another yellow wolvie from a 1* token. He's 5/3/3 now. :dance:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Just picked up another yellow wolvie from a 1* token. He's 5/3/3 now. :dance:
We're at the same spot! I'm kind of pissed that there have been so many red and green wolverine progression rewards, but no yellows.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Anyone playing on the Steam version AND on mobile? My different Apple devices can share progress using Facebook. But Steam doesn't appear to.

That said, someone mentioned to me that if you're fairly new to the game, you've only got Prologue to play, and chapter 1 and 2 have been and gone, and aren't coming back. So I am wondering if, for people like me who haven't played those parts, maybe we SHOULDN'T want to link the steam accounts so we can experience those chapters . . .

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Largepotato posted:

I would just throw :5bux: at hero points. You're likely to have problems with getting enough roster slots later anyway.

Seconding this. You'll thank yourself later.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Funso Banjo posted:

Anyone playing on the Steam version AND on mobile? My different Apple devices can share progress using Facebook. But Steam doesn't appear to.

That said, someone mentioned to me that if you're fairly new to the game, you've only got Prologue to play, and chapter 1 and 2 have been and gone, and aren't coming back. So I am wondering if, for people like me who haven't played those parts, maybe we SHOULDN'T want to link the steam accounts so we can experience those chapters . . .

Chapter 2 is going on now. Chapter 1 was Normie's hunt for red Iso. Chapter 2 is Normie's hunt for the Hulk.

Chapter 3 better be a perspective shift where you play as the Dark Avengers with your newly recruited Hulk. Using Normie's 4* Iron Patriot :)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

Chapter 2 is going on now. Chapter 1 was Normie's hunt for red Iso. Chapter 2 is Normie's hunt for the Hulk.

Chapter 3 better be a perspective shift where you play as the Dark Avengers with your newly recruited Hulk.

Right, but as I mentioned, this chapter is for non-newbies, and will be gone before I can join in. So for other newbies, Steam seems like it might be the way to go so we don't miss out on interesting content, because Steam hasn't had chapter 1 yet, and it will be coming shortly.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 21, 2013

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.
Any way to actually do anything in this game without spending money? I'm at a point now where I've beaten most of the prologue missions that haven't jumped into ridiculous difficulty territory and can't even touch the Hulk missions. My 1 cover 3 star doctor doom and my 2/3/1 iron man 35 are my best fighters, I have a 2/4 hawkeye classic, a 1/2 spider-man bag-man, a 1/1 marvel now thor and a 1 cover modern captain america. Any of these worth replacing with a single dark avengers ms marvel, or a single modern hawkeye thats sitting in my rewards?

Edit: Ok I'm an idiot, I didn't think those tips were in the OP when I first found this game. I didn't realize you could get HP from a mission you already have gotten it from?

Ketsuo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 21, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Right, but as I mentioned, this chapter is for non-newbies, and will be gone before I can join in. So for other newbies, Steam seems like it might be the way to go so we don't miss out on interesting conent, because Steam hasn't had chapter 1 yet, and will be coming shortly.

You have none of the buffed heroes? You should at least be able to do some of the missions and get 2* and above recruit tokens (with enough grinding ugh).

I thought The Hunt would be too high level for me, but I managed to cheese it with a level 6 Modern Hawkeye.

If you have 200 HC from F2P, I recommend holding off on a slot purchase and taking advantage of the daily deal if you really want to compete. Also, use your boosts liberally until you get a good sense of what the battle will be like. Starting at 6 AP with some characters makes the fights a lot easier.

Edit 2: A team like Modern Widow, Modern Storm, Wolverine should be able to beat most of the content. Wolverine is the key player with the strike tiles - pour your iso into him. Modern Storm 5/5/3 is for AP generation and clearing bad boards and Hail + Strike tiles = 400 damage a turn. Modern Widow is for your 5 turn stuns.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 21, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm almost afraid that there are too many things to do in this game sometimes. I still have to go back and farm the old missions for ISO and HP, but I spend all my time on whatever weekly events are going on. I kind of don't like there being tournaments AND events at the same time, but that's just me.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

As far as I've seen, Steam gets the same chapters at the same time as the android & iOS people. Also it's currently not possible to link your iOS/android accounts with your steam account, unless you were in the PC beta.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

As a test, since the start of the Hulk event, I've been leveling up a new dark Black Widow (can never remember her name) just to see how many of the tokens I get are her. I just power capped her.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So what happens when the 50000000 point bar gets full in the hulk event?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Karnegal posted:

So, if you aren't all 100 level dudes. Spiderman is the god-drat best. I just laboriously (probably 20-30 minutes) took down the 180 Yelena/175Hulk/180 Venom team with 53 Spiderman/31 Modern Storm/27 Captain America. It's crazy how much higher you can win against with spiderman lock down, and I only have him at 2/3/1 with x/5/x he would be twice as easy to lock with. How has he not been nerfed?

As an aside, I also kind of wish I built my storm 5/5/3 instead of 5/4/4.

I use 55-ish Wolverine/36 Captain Boyscout/22 Original Black Widow. Tank with Wolvie and go for a slow grind building things up and eating all the green so Hulk doesn't get it. With Cap's stuns and Widow's heals/AP steal on top of Wolvie's regen by the time you kill everyone but Hulk you should be able to stunlock him pretty easily, just save your big hits for when he's locked down, if he gets a turn up poke some forest or something.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the advice in the OP still good? Do you guys really not level your nontank charcters above 16 or so? How do you beat three teams of 40 etc.?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

beergod posted:

Is the advice in the OP still good? Do you guys really not level your nontank charcters above 16 or so? How do you beat three teams of 40 etc.?

The tanks end up being main damage dealers too. The other two characters can be used as support, so a stun here or a AP generation there. All you need to do is burn down their damage dealers - I've beaten level 85 Thors with my 50s Thor/Wolvie combo and my level 22 M. Storm.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

beergod posted:

Once I leveled up my main tanks/damage dealers, I worked on my favorite support characters or may throw a few levels into whoever's buffed for the current tournament. After I max out my beloved Spider-Man, I may save some ISO until I get more blue covers for my Doom. In the early game, maxing Thor and Wolverine is essential. Then you can start experimenting with other characters for various situations. Then someday you'll get enough Spider-Man cards and you'll own the world. Until they nerf him.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DrManiac posted:

So what happens when the 50000000 point bar gets full in the hulk event?

Hulkamania runs wild.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

Chapter 3 better be a perspective shift where you play as the Dark Avengers with your newly recruited Hulk. Using Normie's 4* Iron Patriot :)

Norman shouldn't be 4*.

The Sentry should be 4*.

Also, where the hell is Ares?

What is the deal with this event? I'm stuck at 285th place in Greenland and literally none of the missions give me points any more.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Norman shouldn't be 4*.

The Sentry should be 4*.

Also, where the hell is Ares?

What is the deal with this event? I'm stuck at 285th place in Greenland and literally none of the missions give me points any more.

Basically D3 has no loving idea what they're doing anymore PVE wise. When I saw 40,000 point progression rewards I figured it would be about the same as last time with some tweaks. Except I'm sitting at 580 points after a day because I don't feel like grinding my dick stiff of these events.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I do like the whole "travelling the world" thing but yeah, points are way too low.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Huh, last event I just did everything in the last hour, and went up due to rubberbanding. Didn't work this time, so we may have to go back to grinding.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Hahaha, two Captain America yellows. Oh well.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Looks like you can join at the last second to get the bonuses from the side Hulk missions if you don't really care about the main Hulk one. I made top 20/100 easily starting with an hour left in the events.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Looks like you can join at the last second to get the bonuses from the side Hulk missions if you don't really care about the main Hulk one. I made top 20/100 easily starting with an hour left in the events.

Good to know. I'm right around 10k in the main, but not sure if I can keep up, can finish all the non-punisher ones in the easy bracket, but can only clear the first two missions in the hard stuff, and that almost wipes my team out.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
BTW, what sets off Hulks anger? I have it happen when I'm in the middle of a turn and can't figure it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Good to know. I'm right around 10k in the main, but not sure if I can keep up, can finish all the non-punisher ones in the easy bracket, but can only clear the first two missions in the hard stuff, and that almost wipes my team out.

How? I've been doing everything and I'm not even 2K in the main.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

BTW, what sets off Hulks anger? I have it happen when I'm in the middle of a turn and can't figure it out.

Hitting him for 5% of his (total I believe) life. A lot of little hits won't do it wheras a big hit will.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I think someone forgot to hit a couple of switches after the latest Hulk event.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I dunno how this pve scoring works. I just wanted the Sudan sighting. It started an hour ago. Everything Is worth 5-8 points, and the top ten have 150 points. What?

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
I don't get it either. I figured I would try just focusing on 1 area (Sudan) and grinded that area out to where it does not give me anymore points for any of the missions. This put me at 106 points and ranked #166 yet the #1 guy has 202 points and #10 has 172 so its quite a spread. Perhaps it's just random and some of us get more points while others get fewer?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man the rags hulk venom team is really loving me over. I'm going fine, and then BAM they combo endlessly for 2 minutes and 2/3rds of my team is dead.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here is my best interpretation of what I've seen so far. This is *** ALL SPECULATIVE *** so no warranty is implied.

The rubberbanding appears to be based on your overall event score and rank. This is consistent with how the Hunt played out. This means that you'll have a hard time consistently placing high in subevents; the better you do in one, the higher your overall score will be and therefore others will have an advantage in later ones. This also seems consistent with the rubberbanding mentality in that it spreads the subevent wealth a bit.

The subevents are on 24 hour timers. They appear to recharge once at about twelve hours after they're run dry. This means you should play them out at some point during the first half of the subevent.

Placing high in a subevent is nice, but I would not go nuts trying desperately to place well in them all. The difference between 25th place and 595th place in a subevent is 750 ISO and 50 Hero Points. 101st place and 595th place, 750 ISO. Nowhere near important enough to fuss over.

My strategy is as follows:

* When subevents appear, play through each to show all missions. Maybe wait a little while for others to dive in, but figure that (a) you'll need time to burn the missions down to 0, and (b) you'll need time twelve hours later to do it again, so don't wait 'til the very last minute.

* Pick the subevent you'll want to place higher in and do that one first. Do higher point missions first as best you can; the more you gain, the higher you climb and the more rubberbanding hurts you. The effects are pretty minimal at this point but every little bit helps. Once you've zeroed them out, repeat them all to get all of the rewards from each mission.

* Wait for the recharge. If you're concerned about placement, wait 'til the last hour or two, but spare enough time to run all the missions several times.

* Start with the highest-scoring mission on your favorite subevent and clear 'em out. If you're worried about main event placement, go back and forth between the subevents looking for the highest between them; if you're not, concentrate on one subevent. Honestly, so far it'll barely make any difference at all, a handful of points.

* Wave a dead chicken over your phone or iPod. Maybe it'll help.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I've been getting nothing but Captain America covers from the Powerup packs, and Magneto Marvel Now! covers from Standard packs. I don't even know what's going on anymore :psyduck: I've got Magneto at 3/3/0 now.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Yeah, this scoring sucks. I cannot earn any more points in Sudan and am in 172nd with 137 points. First place in my bracket has 305.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've been getting nothing but Captain America covers from the Powerup packs, and Magneto Marvel Now! covers from Standard packs. I don't even know what's going on anymore :psyduck: I've got Magneto at 3/3/0 now.

Jibo posted:

Captain America is going to be this rounds Thor in terms of token rewards. Calling it now.

Although it would be nice if I could get that last green I need to finish Wolverine who I never use.

Four Power Up tokens, four yellow Caps. :toot:

Why not just join the subevents late? You'll backslide in the main event and if today was any indication, you'll get slackers in both events so you can place in top 50 or 100 just be clearing each mission without any unnecessary grinding or effort.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Maybe RNG's bugged to give yellow Caps and Magnetos :v:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Guess who's got a 5/5 Ragnarok? :neckbeard:

Now every level costs 2000 ISO!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jibo posted:

Why not just join the subevents late? You'll backslide in the main event

You answered your own question.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

delfin posted:

You answered your own question.

Yeah but backsliding in the main event doesn't mean dick with the rubberbanding and the six days left in the event.

Not that it really matters with the difference between first and 400th in the side events is a handful of ISO and HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So do we rubberband in the main event this time too or is points gained capped?