Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ClownSyndrome posted:

Seconding this, I have this show that's been in the back of my mind for years and I'm not sure if I dreampt it up

I think it was called "Candle Cove".

On topic: My chopper game was for the PC and it wasn't choplifer. Probably some clone of some kind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

Mehuyael posted:

Kind of a long shot, but maybe Great Dungeon in the Sky?

That was probably it, or something very similar.

Hakkesshu posted:

Illusion of Gaia, maybe? That had you bond with spirits in order to change into different forms.

al-azad posted:

Your RPG sounds like Tales of Phantasia. A major part of the story is recruiting elemental spirits and there is an scene where you fly into a castle at night to rescue someone. I'm sure you've heard of the Tales series but Phantasia was never released in America until the GBA.

Definitely not either of these as I've played both before hearing of this other one. FYI, I'm not sure if the it had an official translation or not. I remember reading a walkthrough for it on GameFAQs which is where I'm probably misremembering the castle part from. It pisses me off that my memory is so vague for something relatively recent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lufia 2 basically has pokemon in it you can recruit and Paladin's Quest uses elemental spirits as part of its magic system.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There was a game I saw over a decade ago on the show Cheat! when G4 was in its heyday. I've never played it before, but it's popped back in my mind for whatever reason. If I'm remembering this right, you play as someone with psychic powers suffering from amnesia. It's not Psy-Ops or Second Sight. I think it might have been a Japanese game, since I remember the protagonist having spiky red hair. I think he might have also been shirtless, but I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it was a PS2 game. I think the setting might have been a futuristic alien sort of thing. Not quite like Halo, Aliens, or clean like Portal, just red and weird looking. I'm pretty sure I remember the host saying that you could unlock a special movie by beating the game on the hardest difficulty. That's all that's coming to mind.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Breakdown on xbox maybe?

No Gravitas posted:

I think it was called "Candle Cove".

It might've been! :D All I remember was that it was a cartoon with realistic looking characters (maybe anime or GI Joe-ish looking) when people died in the show, they faded/melted/morphed into skeletons a few seconds later in a creepy fashion

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't think it was break down since I remember the game being in third person, but I've never actually played it, so I have no idea. Could have been an Xbox game though. By "PS2 game," I mean 6th gen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Galerians?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It probably wasn't the original, but I think it might have been Galerians Ash. Thanks.

Edit: After watching some gameplay, I recognize the pill pick-up aspect to it. Yeah, I'm pretty confident that it was Galerians Ash. Too bad the game itself looks kind of balls.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 21, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

My turn, I guess.

This was a game I had for the Apple //GS back in the day, which could be run as either a point-and-click adventure, or as a Zork-like text adventure. No matter what interface you used, you'd get music apropos of your location. I don't remember much other than that for some reason, guitar picks were currency, and if you spent too much time screwing around, you'd get eaten by an anthropomorphized alligator or crocodile.

Actually, this brings to mind another //GS game- I remember it basically being a not-bad Ultima knock-off, but you were just on your own rather than being in a party.

Your first game is definitely Tass Times in Tonetown.

The second could be a bunch of things, as that format was not at all uncommon in the Apple days. Any more information besides that? It could even be Ultima 1 or 2, since those were just single-character games.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Genpei Turtle posted:

Your first game is definitely Tass Times in Tonetown.
Nailed it! Thanks!

quote:

The second could be a bunch of things, as that format was not at all uncommon in the Apple days. Any more information besides that? It could even be Ultima 1 or 2, since those were just single-character games.

It was definitely not an Ultima game, as I had picked this up after exhausting the then-extant library of Ultima games available to me.

It was strictly a //GS game, even though when picturing what little I can remember, the graphics weren't too far ahead of the 'HGR2' mode that the lesser Apple // computers could avail themselves of.

I recall something about part of the game being about finding a hidden way to an alternate world, or underworld, or something, where the Big Bad lived. Spells were bought, as I recall, like ammunition; I am remembering spending a fair amount of time buying lightning bolt or magic missile spells, or somesuch (which is just generic enough to probably not be all that helpful). I remember that I heard about it from a review in Nibble magazine that looked quite favorably upon it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

What do you mean "weird stuff?" Did the cover move or deteriorate? When you say "fast-paced cover-y shooter" the first thing that comes to mind is Vanquish.

It probably was Vanquish.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

I recall something about part of the game being about finding a hidden way to an alternate world, or underworld, or something, where the Big Bad lived. Spells were bought, as I recall, like ammunition; I am remembering spending a fair amount of time buying lightning bolt or magic missile spells, or somesuch (which is just generic enough to probably not be all that helpful). I remember that I heard about it from a review in Nibble magazine that looked quite favorably upon it.

Hmm...Questron II maybe? You bought spells in that, and it did get its own Apple IIGS release.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hmm...Questron II maybe? You bought spells in that, and it did get its own Apple IIGS release.

That was going to be my guess, too. I owned that game as a young child, and it was the first thing that came to mind. I hope that's it! :)

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Ok, so this game would have been on like windows 95 or mid-nineties Macintoshes since I played it in my elementary school's computer lab.
I remember you start off at a carnival and you get to some booth where you have to pick one of three dolls in order to choose the difficulty, I think. They've got creepy little face textures like the resident's "bad day on the midway" game.
So then you're whisked away to this desert island where you have to travel around and do puzzles and poo poo. I remember one of the puzzles involved musical notes and matching them or something. I think the goal is to get home but I don't remember anything else. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently I'm on a binge to replay my childhood. One more for me, if you gentlegoon(ette)s are willing.

It was an action RPG and it had a team. That made it almost like an RTS, but it wasn't really. It was for windows. It was sorta isometric, you could control the camera around in 3d. There were at least three people on the team, but probably four. I think you gathered up the team gradually.

The hunter could throw bolas. Some other person (I think the adventurer) could throw explosive powder to blow stuff up.

Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ok, so this game would have been on like windows 95 or mid-nineties Macintoshes since I played it in my elementary school's computer lab.
I remember you start off at a carnival and you get to some booth where you have to pick one of three dolls in order to choose the difficulty, I think. They've got creepy little face textures like the resident's "bad day on the midway" game.
So then you're whisked away to this desert island where you have to travel around and do puzzles and poo poo. I remember one of the puzzles involved musical notes and matching them or something. I think the goal is to get home but I don't remember anything else. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

The Secret Island of Dr Quandary, probably the third most asked for game after Return Fire and Castle of the Winds.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

No Gravitas posted:

Apparently I'm on a binge to replay my childhood. One more for me, if you gentlegoon(ette)s are willing.

It was an action RPG and it had a team. That made it almost like an RTS, but it wasn't really. It was for windows. It was sorta isometric, you could control the camera around in 3d. There were at least three people on the team, but probably four. I think you gathered up the team gradually.

The hunter could throw bolas. Some other person (I think the adventurer) could throw explosive powder to blow stuff up.

Thanks!

Ah drat, I played this. Was it Hexplore?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dads_work_files posted:

Ah drat, I played this. Was it Hexplore?

It was!

Thanks!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

al-azad posted:

The Secret Island of Dr Quandary, probably the third most asked for game after Return Fire and Castle of the Winds.

I thought that might be the case, sorry! Thank you so much for clearing up one of my greatest mysteries :)

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an early 90s/late 80s first person shooter, possibly built on the Wolfenstein engine or something closely resembling it.

It's a horror-themed game where you fights bats and mummies and stuff, it has a primarily brown palette, since you're in a mansion. The main thing is that the music is really good. I remember it being heavy on organs.

That's basically it. I think it has a really generic name like "Haunted Mansion" or something like "Hugo's House of Horrors" (obviously not that game).

Shouldn't be too hard.

Apparently Nitemare 3d is considered the fourth Hugo's House of Horrors game. I remember my grandma actually sent away for full versions of the Hugo games.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Genpei Turtle and Chinook posted:

Hmm...Questron II maybe?

Afraid not. I did just find it though - turns out I was wrong apparently about it being a //GS release, though I could have sworn it was. It was Wraith: The Devil's Demise which, it turns out, happened to have been written by this guy called John Carmack!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Before I get into this long post, I'll kinda be brief here if you want to get to the point; I'm trying to figure out a console my dad bought in the early 90's when a company was liquidating. I'll explain some games and some features, if you have any idea keep reading on if not feel free to skip this post.

Like I mentioned before, my father had bought us a console in the early/mid nineties, some sort of "edutainment" console. It had a CD drive, came with two wireless game pads (the wireless was RF so you had to point the drat things right at the console), and kinda specialized in point and click adventures. Before you say "you had a CD-i", I've thoroughly checked that thing over and no, it wasn't a CD-i. Either I'm not using the right search terms or Google has no loving idea what the hell this thing is.

Some of the games; one I remember vividly was Just Grandma And Me, because I was like 7 and clicked on all the stupid poo poo in the game. Another game, I don't know the title so I'll explain here; you are a protagonist on some beach side with a house and knowledge about a ghost pirate that you are trying to find. I remember the loving ghost pirate because my CD was scratched so one day he suddenly popped onto my screen with a hideous screeching sound and little me almost shat his pants in fear running out of the room. We had a demo disk and one of the brief videos showcasing a game involved the blind guy from Star Trek Next Gen as a vampire. And a zoo safari game where you'd take pictures of animals but that's not very informative.

I've been trying to figure out just what in the holy gently caress this thing was for the past few weeks now and it's bothering me, and I know these aren't made up memories because my older sisters also remember this and played games with me on it. Any ideas?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Green Puddin posted:

Before I get into this long post, I'll kinda be brief here if you want to get to the point; I'm trying to figure out a console my dad bought in the early 90's when a company was liquidating. I'll explain some games and some features, if you have any idea keep reading on if not feel free to skip this post.

Like I mentioned before, my father had bought us a console in the early/mid nineties, some sort of "edutainment" console. It had a CD drive, came with two wireless game pads (the wireless was RF so you had to point the drat things right at the console), and kinda specialized in point and click adventures. Before you say "you had a CD-i", I've thoroughly checked that thing over and no, it wasn't a CD-i. Either I'm not using the right search terms or Google has no loving idea what the hell this thing is.

I think you mean IR, not RF.

Just Grandma And Me, as far as I know, was only ever released for Win3.1 and MacOS. This naturally brings to mind the Apple Pippin, which existed about the right time and had an IR controller (the AppleJack), but as far as I know the Pippin couldn't run normal MacOS software, it had to be mastered specifically to run on the Pippin.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

IR, yeah you are right, my bad. Some ancient technology :v:

Hmm. I've also only seen listings for PC and Mac, but just looking at the Pippin I can tell you it wasn't that. It was a big black box, really looked more like a VCR than anything.

Thanks for the idea though!

edit: As I scroll down and see a black Pippin too. But it wasn't that, I'm sure; I remember some huge rear end cooling ducts in the right side of the machine. Maybe this is just a mystery that will never be solved.

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 22, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Green Puddin posted:

IR, yeah you are right, my bad. Some ancient technology :v:

Hmm. I've also only seen listings for PC and Mac, but just looking at the Pippin I can tell you it wasn't that. It was a big black box, really looked more like a VCR than anything.

Thanks for the idea though!

I'm 99% positive I've heard about this thing before. In fact I'm pretty sure a goon was heavily involved.

Thinking it was a newer branch from "The Visual Almanac" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNahQrOMMBI

Wait was it any of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_CDTV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Video_Information_System (satisfies the Win 3.1 condition on Grandma & Me)

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 22, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Well I'll be god damned. It was the Tandy VIS.

You guys are loving awesome. :neckbeard:

E: oh boy, now Google knows what I'm talking about and is getting me all sorts of poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73XriwHJxQ

so futuristic

Edit 2: The ghost game! I knew there was a loving ghost game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnuqtLecLU

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 22, 2013

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

No Gravitas posted:

On topic: My chopper game was for the PC and it wasn't choplifer. Probably some clone of some kind...
Are you maybe thinking of Armor Alley?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

aardwolf posted:

Are you maybe thinking of Armor Alley?

Amazing.

Yes.

Thank you.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Okay. This is a 3d Gauntlet clone for Windows. The only things we can remember was it was a violent top down hack n slash dungeon crawler gore fest but most importantly it used redbook audio and encouraged players to use their own CDs for music if they want. I can't figure out how to Google for it. I keep trying but I'm just not seeing it. Can you guys help me out?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Might be MageSlayer I suppose, though I never tried playing other music on it.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I'm trying to remember a game from the mid-90s shareware days. All my sister and I can remember is that you played as a few different animals (a bobcat and a snake for sure). It was an overhead view of a grid, and you moved around with arrow keys trying to eat other animals, and attempting to not get eaten by animals higher in the food chain.

I don't think it was very good, but we need to figure this out.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Freeze posted:

I'm trying to remember a game from the mid-90s shareware days. All my sister and I can remember is that you played as a few different animals (a bobcat and a snake for sure). It was an overhead view of a grid, and you moved around with arrow keys trying to eat other animals, and attempting to not get eaten by animals higher in the food chain.

I don't think it was very good, but we need to figure this out.
Sounds like this could be Animal Quest.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

MMAgCh posted:

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for the fast response!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MMAgCh posted:

Ohhh man I've played this one, wow. Nostalgia is a motherfucker.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The Interloper posted:

Definitely not either of these as I've played both before hearing of this other one. FYI, I'm not sure if the it had an official translation or not. I remember reading a walkthrough for it on GameFAQs which is where I'm probably misremembering the castle part from. It pisses me off that my memory is so vague for something relatively recent.

If it's not Lufia 2 or Paladin's Quest like someone earlier suggested, try Arcana maybe.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I've seen this gif a couple times on the internet now and wondered if anyone knew what game it was from:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Interloper posted:

Are you 100% that it was SNES? Couldn't have been something contemporary with the SNES, like Beyond Oasis for Genesis?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

I've seen this gif a couple times on the internet now and wondered if anyone knew what game it was from:

Final Fantasy XIV. For future reference you can upload images into Google Images and if it exists somewhere on the internet it will find the source for you.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

guppy posted:

Are you 100% that it was SNES? Couldn't have been something contemporary with the SNES, like Beyond Oasis for Genesis?

It's not impossible that it could have been on another console. Pretty sure it was from the 16-bit era, at least.

I'm not 100% certain that the spirits or whatever were specifically elemental-themed. They could have been something else such as mythical creatures, I don't know. I'm fairly sure the TVTropes page said that one of them was female and all the rest were male. It also seems that they were specific individuals that joined you as part of the story, rather than Dragon Quest-style monster taming or similar.

Still, don't put too much stock in it. I'll probably find out what it was in 10 years time and find that I was completely wrong about everything I was 'remembering'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Interloper posted:

It's not impossible that it could have been on another console. Pretty sure it was from the 16-bit era, at least.

I'm not 100% certain that the spirits or whatever were specifically elemental-themed. They could have been something else such as mythical creatures, I don't know. I'm fairly sure the TVTropes page said that one of them was female and all the rest were male. It also seems that they were specific individuals that joined you as part of the story, rather than Dragon Quest-style monster taming or similar.

Still, don't put too much stock in it. I'll probably find out what it was in 10 years time and find that I was completely wrong about everything I was 'remembering'.

Just throwing poo poo out there, but it's not Secret of Mana? ( Elemental spirits that 'join' you and pop up when you cast their spells.) There was a sequel too, I'm not sure if that got an official western release. Or maybe Golden Sun on the DS? Looks 16-bit, you got to recruit djinn which gave you spells and popped up in the general wandering gameplay, using their magic to deal with obstacles and puzzles and so on