Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dessel posted:

Even though we hardly know anything about Crusty, I kind of doubt he'd be doing any serious backstabbing towards the rest of the gang. The show has the kind of a feel it'll make us suspect it, but then it's totally dandy dudes I did this to benefit us all/Shirou, did it to tease Shirou, or x member of our party has crush on the princess. I could be wrong though, but, I dunno, gut feeling?
I kind of feel the same way. It looked a bit like he got a kick out of making Shiroe dance earlier; maybe he enjoys messing with people? That's certainly a relatable gamer idiosyncrasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sindai posted:

Man I could not possibly care less about the newbies and their inability to grasp MMO combat basics please just stick to the politics. :sigh:

I don't know man, the smarmy rear end blondie who gives no shits about party conventions and only wants to get fired up is pretty hilarious.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Dessel posted:

Even though we hardly know anything about Crusty, I kind of doubt he'd be doing any serious backstabbing towards the rest of the gang. The show has the kind of a feel it'll make us suspect it, but then it's totally dandy dudes I did this to benefit us all/Shiroe, did it to tease Shiroe, or x member of our party has crush on the princess. I could be wrong though, but, I dunno, gut feeling?

Now that you say that... You may be right.
I don't know if you've watched Mamare's other show Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, but (slight spoiler regarding Maoyuu ahead)the Young Merchant character in that show was introduced in a similar manner to Crusty. They play him off as a potential antagonist (I mean, look at that grimace), but since their goals indirectly align he doesn't end up being an antagonist at all, but an ally. It wouldn't be the first parallel between the shows, both revolve around the inception of some system from the ground up (Mayou is an economy, and I believe Log Horizon is government/laws/authority).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

pandaK posted:

I don't know man, the smarmy rear end blondie who gives no shits about party conventions and only wants to get fired up is pretty hilarious.

I found it funny that "noob mage overaggros" is a universal MMO experience.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ArchangeI posted:

As is the melee guy rushing too far ahead and alerting all the monsters and everyone fighting before the buffs even activate.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I have to say, one of the principal signs of a psychopath is considering others lives not to be worth as much as yours... if Crusty is still in the mindset of PotL as NPCs, then this could end up getting really dark really fast.

But the show probably won't go there, it seems to like keeping a light hearted tone in general.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

As is the melee guy rushing too far ahead and alerting all the monsters and everyone fighting before the buffs even activate.

The tank pulls when he drat well thinks he should :colbert:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ArchangeI posted:

The tank pulls when he drat well thinks he should :colbert:

Unless he pulls more than he can tank.

Without any buffs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think the anime has the best depiction of Marie, including the original LNs. For the first book in particular, her lines were almost exclusively poo poo like "Tee hee, I'm so dumb. Do you want to touch my breasts?" Granted, it isn't like the anime completely ditched her original characterization, but it sure toned down the negative aspects. Conversely, the Honeymoon Log manga cranks that crap to 11 and is lousy because of it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

-nvm

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

pandaK posted:

Yeah, I thought that whole segment was great. I was having PTSD-style flashbacks to the Deadmines in World of Warcraft. Half of the time, you'd get a group just like that. The tank running in and pulling an entire room instead of a single patrol. The Mage nuking everything and drawing all the aggro. The healer panicking and mashing buttons. Breaking and running for the exit. Losing to the first group of enemies.

It was like Scrubs: the MMO.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They weren't shouting "Train!".

Immersion ruined.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The sorcerer was the best part of this episode by far.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
He's just so shamelessly fantabulous.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Demicol posted:

Do the People of the Land even know that Adventurers can respawn infinitely if killed?

They do, assuming the spinoff mangas are canon.

West Wind Brigade is pretty good, by the way. It's noticeably darker in tone than the anime, but for that matter, so is the original Light Novel. It works mainly because Soujirou is awesome. Can't wait to read the Crescent Moon and Nyanta spinoffs as well.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Vengarr posted:

They do, assuming the spinoff mangas are canon.

West Wind Brigade is pretty good, by the way. It's noticeably darker in tone than the anime, but for that matter, so is the original Light Novel. It works mainly because Soujirou is awesome. Can't wait to read the Crescent Moon and Nyanta spinoffs as well.

I am now interested in your reactions to the Crescent Moon spin off.

Largepotato posted:

They weren't shouting "Train!".

Immersion ruined.

Choo Choo, kinda wondering how the other group did and the reactions to all this failure, Priestess Girl seems to be pretty good leader material if she can get past the whole not speaking up problem.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MadHat posted:

It's about what I expected. I like that they explained why Marie is always glomping Naotsugu, it seemed pretty random in the anime.

It was nice to have some of the backstory explored and the characters examined. It isn't as strong on its own as West Wind Brigade, but that isn't really its point. Its more of a companion story to Log Horizon rather than its own thing.

And as I understand it, Nyanta's spinoff is a slice-of-life. So we're really covering the gamut genre-wise within a single setting. Kind of interesting, really.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

MadHat posted:

Choo Choo, kinda wondering how the other group did and the reactions to all this failure, Priestess Girl seems to be pretty good leader material if she can get past the whole not speaking up problem.

Yelling at each other to pass blame is next if it wants to be authentic.

Possibly with additions of "your class sucks dammit"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

The typical low level WoW instance basically used to consist of the mage running ahead, pulling several pulls of trash and spamming arcane explosion which of course a low level tank has no way of dealing with. :argh:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Well that was a fun cute episode.

Why is Princess Lenessia in armor in the opening?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Crusty :allears:

Do there exist people with glasses who are not ridiculous schemers?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe if they are gag glasses.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well the Princess character is entirely different from what I was expecting.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, her being in armor in the opening makes me think she'll start some sort of semi-Liberation front for the PoTL thanks to Crusty's "freedom to be lazy"-shpiel, but them risking their lives doesn't make sense as they can't just ress at the cathedral - Or can they?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The thing that would really shake the power balance and affect the lives of everyone would be if it was revealed that the People of the Land can somehow rise to become Adventurers, while Adventurers can lose their immortality and stat bonuses and become People of the Land. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if that came to be.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

The thing that would really shake the power balance and affect the lives of everyone would be if it was revealed that the People of the Land can somehow rise to become Adventurers, while Adventurers can lose their immortality and stat bonuses and become People of the Land. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if that came to be.

One glaring oversight I realized after the whole steam engine relevation (that the characters and probably the writers aren't aware of yet) is if "the rules of the game" clash with the "rules of reality" then in order to win a war against the adventurers, the people of the land would merely have to destroy all the churches / respawn points.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One glaring oversight I realized after the whole steam engine relevation (that the characters and probably the writers aren't aware of yet) is if "the rules of the game" clash with the "rules of reality" then in order to win a war against the adventurers, the people of the land would merely have to destroy all the churches / respawn points.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574610&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post422877488 :smug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Adventurers get killed by the guards if they attack someone in town. That doesn't prevent them from getting off an attack or two before dying. Adventurers could always just use suicide tactics on any force attempting to destroy the cathedral. At worst, they might lose some levels but an army of people of the land would simply be wiped out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Adventurers get killed by the guards if they attack someone in town.
This may not even apply to People of the Land, it could just be a PVP mechanism.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vengarr posted:

I was having PTSD-style flashbacks to the Deadmines in World of Warcraft. Half of the time, you'd get a group just like that. The tank running in and pulling an entire room instead of a single patrol.

I couldn't place it why I was slightly twitching during these last two episodes, but you've just nailed it on the head. (I haven't played walk-around-a-dungeon MMOs for close to a year) Cloest recently was probably in Secret World I had to switch from backup healer to main-heal-tanking in the middle of Polaris Elite.

The Crusty/Princess interactions are great in this episode, and man oh man, we finally get to see more Akatsuki. I've been quietly waiting for the whole Shiroe/Akatsuki thing to play out, so it's neat to see that the director hasn't forgotten about that either. I like my politics with a bit of romance on the side. :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I like that we had an entire episode devoted to Crusty trolling the princess.

OWLS! posted:

I couldn't place it why I was slightly twitching during these last two episodes, but you've just nailed it on the head. (I haven't played walk-around-a-dungeon MMOs for close to a year) Cloest recently was probably in Secret World I had to switch from backup healer to main-heal-tanking in the middle of Polaris Elite.

There are so many little "stereotypical MMO" details in Log Horizon, I think it's what makes it so believable. Like Naotsugu discovering he could rename his equipment and immediately putting Panties on everything. Panties Shield. Panties Notebook. Or Crusty's nonsense player name/guild name. Or that /glasses emote every character uses a billion times per episode.

Or, for that matter, constantly messing with NPCs for no other reason than to see their reaction.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ah yes, the mage is blaming everyone else in his party for the failure. This is bringing back some memories.

And glasses characters continue to terrorize the land. Pretty good episode overall

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Vengarr posted:

I like that we had an entire episode devoted to Crusty trolling the princess.

There are so many little "stereotypical MMO" details in Log Horizon, I think it's what makes it so believable. Like Naotsugu discovering he could rename his equipment and immediately putting Panties on everything. Panties Shield. Panties Notebook. Or Crusty's nonsense player name/guild name.

I completely missed that. When did Naotsugu do that?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I like the :smug: troll thing Krusty has going with the princess. It'll annoy me considerably if they force it to become romantic in some way.

User0015 posted:

I completely missed that. When did Naotsugu do that?
Probably in the novels.

The Evil Thing fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 29, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Evil Thing posted:

I like the :smug: troll thing Krusty has going with the princess. It'll annoy me considerably if they force it to become romantic in some way.

Probably in the novels.

Novel Chapter Illustration

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Immersion broken, high-level players don't get attached to gear. :colbert:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Xoidanor posted:

None of them seem like the numbercrunching type though. Most of them wear matching outfits for one. I want to see a guild where everyone is wearing horribly mismatched clothing and armor, constantly arguing if +1 to this or that is better.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xoidanor posted:

I think he's been level capped for years now?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

veekie posted:

I think he's been level capped for years now?

The picture itself describes his armor as "adequate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Probably he hit the level cap and then just messed around from there. It'd be more than good enough given his level gap and where he plays in. Makes sense to upgrade if they're going to hit new content, not much otherwise.

The princess sure is easy to mess with though.

• Locked thread